Tom Cable as OC?

amill87

Reaction score
Why is this not getting talked about more? I'm not too much in the know about Cable but wasn't he the play caller in Oakland? Or is he just a pure o-line/running game type of coach?

I remember some posters discussing that it was actually Cable who helped put the option into our offense. I also think Miller could be huge for us in a Tom Cable offense, like pro bowl TE huge (kinda just like he was in Oakland)

AbsolutNET

Reaction score
Obviously Wilson can hurt you with his feet, but he will make his career on his arm. We need an OC that can foster his development in the passing game and I'm not sure Cable is that guy.

OP
OP
amill87

amill87

Reaction score
AbsolutNET":t1w3o24l said:
Obviously Wilson can hurt you with his feet, but he will make his career on his arm. We need an OC that can foster his development in the passing game and I'm not sure Cable is that guy.

Oh I agree. Wilson is not Kaep or RG3. He will win championships because of how well he can pass.

But that's kind of what I was getting at. Cable is the easy choice but is he really the best choice for us?

NYCoug

Reaction score
AbsolutNET":29pn3rcl said:

I've said it a million times here. Hue Jackson? He was Cable's OC in Oakland and they were able to keep the Raiders "vertical passing game" in affect while using the run to absolutely destroy opposing defenses. Remember how many injuries the Hawks walked away with after the Oakland road game in 2010? Also, Jason Campbell had his best season under the 2 and Wilson is obviously lightyears ahead of the player Jason Campbell ever was or will be. Plus, Jackson has the mentality and mindsight that this team is looking for. Doubt it happens but I hope he at least gets an interview if Bevell goes elsewhere.

SirTed

Reaction score
I love Cable, to the point that I'd be willing to concede A LOT in order to keep him around but...

Do you guys think he's got the prowess and aggressiveness in the passing attack to satisfy the fanbase? Not that that is what it should come down to, but there has been a lot of hand wringing around here over the play calling, specifically for how vanilla Bevell was, and if memory serves, Cable's offenses in Oakland were just as plain, if not more so.

Any concern over this?

v1rotv2

Reaction score
I could be completely out to lunch on this but my thought is Cable would be a conservative play caller. What we need with Wilson, to take full advantage of his skill set, is an open and innovative offense. Wilson has displayed that he has the work ethic and intelligence to master any offensive scheme. Let's use that to the fullest. We have the ground game to keep defenses honest to the point where we can do some really ground breaking stuff to blow the game up. I want an OC that thinks that way.

Or like I said I could be completely out to lunch.

Subzero717

Reaction score
Nope. O line asst HC for me. When I lived in cali a lot of my coworkees were raids. They hate his play calling. If I remember they took those duties from him and gave them to Hue Jackson before he was fired.

mikeak

Reaction score
AbsolutNET":x9l1jx2t said:

Quarterback coach?..........

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
AbsolutNET":3degn8yp said:
This

SNDavidson

Reaction score
Hope we keep both Bevell and Cable, not at all sad to see Bradley go.

Basis4day

Reaction score
amill87":cl695g90 said:
Why is this not getting talked about more? I'm not too much in the know about Cable but wasn't he the play caller in Oakland? Or is he just a pure o-line/running game type of coach?

I remember some posters discussing that it was actually Cable who helped put the option into our offense. I also think Miller could be huge for us in a Tom Cable offense, like pro bowl TE huge (kinda just like he was in Oakland)

It's discussed after every loss because Bevell only sucks when we lose.

SirTed

Reaction score
Seahawk_Dan":s0qizvad said:
Why not Norv Turner?

People would scoff, but actually this would be a great hire. It wont happen (IMO) because I don't think Turner has the right personality to work WITH this staff, but he's a great QB coach.

pehawk

Reaction score
Basis4day":1cr9ne3z said:
amill87":1cr9ne3z said:

It's discussed after every loss because Bevell only sucks when we lose.

Riiiiggghhhht. Bevell is actually aboce criticism. Anyone that does, obviously doesn't understand the game, like you do.