Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ    Contact Us  Your donations are greatly appreciated! Donate  Chat Room

Board index » SEAHAWKS.NET - THE VOICE OF THE 12TH MAN » [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Post subject: Fumblemode!
 Post Posted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:01 am 
NET Veteran

Shawn fumbled three times in the two playoff games. Is this something we should be worried about? Do you think all the carries caught up to him? Lack of concentration? Extra effort to make things happen? Straight up fluke? What?

Beastmode is not notorious for this defect, so I want to know what you guys think happened...

Post subject: Re: Fumblemode!
 Post Posted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:32 am 
NET Veteran

I am still trying to figure out why our guys keep fumbling as they cross the goal line. Seems like there is some sort of invisible laser that keeps popping the ball out as they hit the goal line.

Win Forever!

Post Posted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:45 am 
NET Starter

Nah, I don't think there is anything to worry about there. Glass half-full

Post Posted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:44 am 
*PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
*PLATINUM SUPPORTER*

I think the government is somehow involved.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:54 am 
* Gangnameister *

Blame Canada.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:06 am 
NET Veteran

Two were fluke helmet hits that popped the ball out (the one at Washington and the goal line one in Atlanta). The first fumble in Atlanta was the only true fumble. I'm not concerned at all.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:33 am 
* Master Chief *
* Master Chief *

When a defender puts a helmet on the ball, that's just good tackling.

There are always two sides to every issue - and we rarely give the other team props.

"I will be thrilled with 10 wins.... If we win 14 games, I will tattoo my nuts green and blue!" --13thMan

Post Posted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:35 am 
*SILVER SUPPORTER*
*SILVER SUPPORTER*

AF_Hawk wrote:
Two were fluke helmet hits that popped the ball out (the one at Washington and the goal line one in Atlanta). The first fumble in Atlanta was the only true fumble. I'm not concerned at all.

Yep, exactly. The true fumble in Atlanta I was grimacing as I seen the guy coming up from behind cuz it was pretty evident that Beast did not see him. He had not quite covered the ball up w/ both hands yet for the frontal hit when he got snaked from behind. Happens to all RB's from time to time, especially when they are fighters w/ strong stiff arms.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:37 am 
* NET Radish *

I'm sure it will be discussed at length this off season. Someone hits the ball with their helmet frequently without knocking it out so there has to be an answer.

He's been hit a ton through the years without this problem so it would seem pretty obvious to me there is some little thing that has changed.

:les:

Post Posted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:49 am 
NET Veteran

Unfortunately we didn't fumble on the goalline so he only fumbled once.

I say unfortunately because we'd have to have run another play and might actually have run enough clock off to stop the comeback

Post Posted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:01 am 
NET Veteran

Not too worried, more of a fluke than anything.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:17 am 
NET Veteran

You know the truly interesting part of this question here is the rational responses. Last season in a play very similar to the Falcons fumble, Tarvaris Jackson had the ball knocked out of his hand against a superior defense than the Falcons and there were a ton of people who wanted to tar and feather Jackson for the play. There were several posters that lambasted him for it for a few months, but very little has been said negatively about Marshawn's fumble against Atlanta.

In regards to an answer is no we shouldn't be that concerned. All three plays were very good plays by the defense. These things happen from time to time. I think an interesting question is whether or not Pete didn't have Marshawn run the third and 1 and fourth and 1 plays because he was worried about fumble concerns.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:07 am 
NET Veteran

themunn wrote:
Unfortunately we didn't fumble on the goalline so he only fumbled once.

I say unfortunately because we'd have to have run another play and might actually have run enough clock off to stop the comeback

I see your point, and possibly agree that ditching a few extra seconds would help us. But if that's not on the goal line, it's a fumble. My point is, the ball came loose. I have to say I'm not concerned, but 3 times in two big games just has me wondering what others' opinions might be.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:10 am 
[[ .NET Godfather ]]

Shawn? :)

He needs to wrap that ball up when he's gaining extra yards after the initial hit...Dude's a warrior but he needs to protect that ball just a bit more than he does, especially how violent he runs.

"We're about to be legendary." - Richard Sherman to the Seahawks sideline in the 3rd quarter of SBXLVIII

Post Posted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:12 am 
NET Veteran

His first half fumble cost us the game. There was no way around that. We had just built the momentum of the INT, we're driving to the 40 (or more), at worst we'd have had a TD, but more than anything instead of the momentum swinging in the 2nd half, it would have swung in the 2nd quarter. I have no doubt that we would have won without that play. On the other side, he is still a stud, and we wouldn't be where we were without him. I just wish he would have learned from Washington. Can you imagine how devastating it would have been to have him lose that fumble before crossing the plain?

"We all we got, we all we need"

Post Posted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:41 am 
NET Veteran

Aros wrote:
Shawn? :)

He needs to wrap that ball up when he's gaining extra yards after the initial hit...Dude's a warrior but he needs to protect that ball just a bit more than he does, especially how violent he runs.

If M-Rob (that's Michael Robinson) can call him Shawn, why can't I? We close like dat. Besides, it's not like I called him Shaun. ;)

Post Posted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:42 am 
NET Veteran

JonRud wrote:
I am still trying to figure out why our guys keep fumbling as they cross the goal line.

1. Fighting to cross the goal line means exposing the ball more than you would on a regular running play.
2. Defense is keying in on trying to pop the ball loose.
3. My wife keeps jinxing Lynch by saying things like "I hope he doesn't fumble on this play."

Post Posted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:43 am 
NET Pro Bowler

I was amazed at Marshawn over the 1st half of the year. He took so many hits and just never fumbled. Then for whatever reason, they just came in bunches over the last few games.

I think part of it is that he is just worn out from the carries, part of it is the fluke hits that knock it loose.

I bet he will spend some extra time this offseason working on ball security though. You could tell those fumbles really irritated him. His fellow running backs have commented before that Marshawn HATES to fumble. Obviously no one likes it, but they made a point that it is a bigger issue with him.

Last edited by HawkFan72 on Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:44 am 
NET Veteran

This is just paraphrasing, but basically after the game Mack Strong said "I don't care who you are, the way the defender swatted, that ball is coming out (on both of his fumbles). I don't expect fumbles to be a problem down the road."

Post Posted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:03 pm 
NET Rookie

The off season is here now. It's not a problem, but he should work on it whenever he starts to train for next season. Hell everyone on the team should train how to run with the ball in the proper fashion

Post Posted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:11 pm 
I'M JIMMY!

Not even concerned in the least. Lynch just doesn't fumble a lot, considering the number of carries and how often he is in a HUGE pile of guys trying to strip him it is crazy that he doesn't do it more.

Helmet on ball? Almost impossible
Hand to the nuts distraction? Even more so.

The Bears were known for the strip and he lost one there, but really... For a guy that scoops a ball up on the run and gets a 19 yard gain there is nothing there to worry about.

Lynch is one of the elite RB's in the league, period.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:49 pm 
NET Veteran

It has alot to do with his running style. I never fumbled once as a receiver, but i never ran very hard either (I always tried to get as far as i could after the catch, but since i was kind of a slow slot receiver i usually got hit directly after the catch, and when i got tackled i always made sure that my body was in a way that the ball was away from the tackler instead of trying to run people over). Im not very strong either (haha I was one of the least beastly guys on the entire field ;D) so the point i´m trying to make is that holding onto the ball is not that dependent on strength and how hard you hold onto the ball, it has alot to do with how much you expose the ball. If I had to take 20 hand offs/ game and go up the middle and get hit straight on by linebackers and stuff, i would have fumbled for sure.

When i ran after the catch, if i had the ball in the left arm, i made sure to absorb the tackle with my right shoulder, wrestle my way down to the ground if i was held up so that no one would even have the chance to strip (i actually invented a term for this "active ball defence" ;D, and since im kinda small and easy to bring down, i usually flew to the ground on the first hit before there was any opportunity for a strip. I know this isn't exactly textbook "tough football behaviour" (YOU GOTTA FIGHT FOR EVERY INCH; RUN PEOPLE OVER, BRING THE PAIN AND KEEP YOUR LEGS MOVING yadayadayada ;) ) but i did achieve my goal to never fumble.

Beast mode on the other hand is the complete opposite, running EXTREMELY HARD, straight through people. It is imposible to employ his running style and still use active ball defence (going to the ground in a pile is the total anti beast mode). I do get frustrated that some of his fumbles just seem to be lack of concentration, but we get so much in return for his aggressiveness that the ocassional fumbles are worth it.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:56 pm 
NET Veteran

JonRud wrote:
I am still trying to figure out why our guys keep fumbling as they cross the goal line. Seems like there is some sort of invisible laser that keeps popping the ball out as they hit the goal line.

Defenses are getting sick to death of him getting all those extra yards after contact, and have key'd in on trying to helmet, gouge, punch or kick the ball out of his hands,,It's the only answer they have to the BEAST.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:06 pm 
NET Bench Warmer

I haven't seen this posted, so I'll paste below, but if this is real, 'shawn took one straight to the harbaughles right before the defender behind him made contact with the ball.

-- and yes, I made that word up... seems like it should catch on here :)

Board index » SEAHAWKS.NET - THE VOICE OF THE 12TH MAN » [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]