Focusing on Irvin I noticed something troubling yesterday

Matticus

Reaction score
I think he has Randy Moss syndrome. With that I mean that I think he takes plays off. I focused on him a lot yesterday and multiple times I felt he just ran into the tackle and pushed a little bit and showed little effort to do a lot more. Granted I didn't focus on him every single play so maybe I just chose the wrong plays to focus and he was just shut down those plays, but still. This is coming from a guy who loved the Irvin pick and in no way am I calling him a bust.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Could be he just wasn't used to playing every single down. That and the fact that this was our 18th game and as a rookie, they often hit a wall after 11 or 12 games, and you put these things together and it could be that he just wasn't ready for the physical toll that playing most of the downs can take on the body.

Or he could just be lazy, but that doesn't seem to fit his personality.

Greenhell

Reaction score
To me, seems like Red Bryant has this syndrome as well.

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
Greenhell":1kpo6707 said:

No. Red Bryant has a very injured foot that he gutted it out to play on. Any kind of foot injury with a man of his stature is a big deal - lots of load bearing weight. I imagine more will come to light about his foot in the off-season.

Red doesn't take plays off. He's just not anywhere near 100%.

Greenhell

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":3g6hazc0 said:
Greenhell":3g6hazc0 said:

No. Red Bryant has a very injured foot that he gutted it out to play on. Any kind of foot injury with a man of his stature is a big deal - lots of load bearing weight. I imagine more will come to light about his foot in the off-season.

Red doesn't take plays off. He's just not anywhere near 100%.

Makes sense. I hope thats not the excuse once he heals up cus he's been great for our Hawks.

Largent80

Reaction score
B.S. on the OP. I re-watched the game and Irvin was chipped so many times. They knew with Clem out that they could run, and run they did.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
Matticus":17y1veb6 said:
I think he has Randy Moss syndrome. With that I mean that I think he takes plays off. I focused on him a lot yesterday and multiple times I felt he just ran into the tackle and pushed a little bit and showed little effort to do a lot more. Granted I didn't focus on him every single play so maybe I just chose the wrong plays to focus and he was just shut down those plays, but still. This is coming from a guy who loved the Irvin pick and in no way am I calling him a bust.

Funny, because that has not been his MO. He is one to always chase the ball down. Guess I don't agree AT ALL.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
I would assume he just was not used to playing that much. He was probably GASSED after taking so many 1st team snaps. That is tough for any player to come in and play that much when they are not used to it, especially a rookie.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
Red has Planter Facitus..(SP)

Anyone have it or had it?

Hurts like hell to walk if you have it.
The only way to heel it is basically not walk on it.

CrimsonWazzu

Reaction score
Plantar Faciitis sucks. I had a mild case of it playing softball a few years ago and could barely walk without hobbling.

Miller suffered a tear of the facia in the game yesterday, had the damn game of his life. Total huevos.

xCalibur

Reaction score
i do not think Irvin can ever be an everydown pass rusher...he is too small and get chipped easily...he didn't even show up for that game...i didn't see much presser on Ryan at all. We really missed Clem in that last game. I guess a premiere pass rusher is still a need going into this years draft.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
xCalibur":2ry5r850 said:
i do not think Irvin can ever be an everydown pass rusher...he is too small and get chipped easily...he didn't even show up for that game...i didn't see much presser on Ryan at all. We really missed Clem in that last game. I guess a premiere pass rusher is still a need going into this years draft.

So you feel like the 9lbs weight difference Clem has on him is going to hold him back?

http://www.fieldgulls.com/2011/7/22/228 ... nsive-ends

Read about the LEO.

"The best pass rusher on the team is usually the defensive end to the open side of the field. That puts him on the quarterback's blind side and makes him a C gap player in this defense. We often align him wider than this in order to give him a better angle of attack and allow him to play in space. We align him a yard outside of the offensive tackle most of the time. He has to play C gap run support but at the same time he is rushing the passer like it is third and ten. He has to be able to close down however if the tackle blocks down on him."

"(He) has to be one of your best football players. Size does not matter as much. We want an athletic player who can move around."

xCalibur

Reaction score
T-Sizzle":26onrsx7 said:
xCalibur":26onrsx7 said:

So you feel like the 9lbs weight difference Clem has on him is going to hold him back?

Read about the LEO.

"The best pass rusher on the team is usually the defensive end to the open side of the field. That puts him on the quarterback's blind side and makes him a C gap player in this defense. We often align him wider than this in order to give him a better angle of attack and allow him to play in space. We align him a yard outside of the offensive tackle most of the time. He has to play C gap run support but at the same time he is rushing the passer like it is third and ten. He has to be able to close down however if the tackle blocks down on him."

"(He) has to be one of your best football players. Size does not matter as much. We want an athletic player who can move around."

Ok, so if it wasn't his weight that was the issue; then are you saying he just doesn't have it...because he was a non factor in that game...not what you expect from a 1st rounder

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
xCalibur":kwkjwsjm said:
T-Sizzle":kwkjwsjm said:
xCalibur":kwkjwsjm said:

Read about the LEO.

Ok, so if it wasn't his weight that was the issue; then are you saying he just doesn't have it...because he was a non factor in that game...not what you expect from a 1st rounder

He is raw, did lead all rookies in sacks, most rookie de's struggle year one, he was making his first ever start in a game....playoff game, he had zero help from anyone else on the line.

Give him time to develop. He has the athletic ability...he just needs to develop. Seems like everyone is pointing the finger today or proclaiming people can't do this or that because we lost and placing blame is what happens here after every loss.

Look at the top 10 guys in sacks this year...check their rookie years.

Did you know Von Miller is lighter than Bruce?