Wilson sack before half

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Notice Zach Miller in the seam..

If Sweezy holds off his man longer than .3 seconds.. it's an EASY touchdown.

Damn it all.

[youtube]2wY04yUkXfk[/youtube]

Kelly.Orr

Reaction score
Yeah Sweezy just doesn't have the experience yet. We lost and nothing can change it so i won't be to hard on him. But that cannot happen in that situation it just can't. He hardly touched the guy. He will get better next year. They are all young and will learn.

hawker84

Reaction score
oh he touched him plenty... enough to put a saddle on him and ride him all the way to the backfield...

salamander

Reaction score
Another interesting thing Carroll talked about was that Wilson put the ball down on the field after the sac rather than handing it to the ref as they teach. This allowed the Falcons player to kick the ball.

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
What did they gain from the revolving door of Sweezy and Moffitt yesterday? Whoever helps the O line play with more consistency as a unit should have been playing the whole game. I do not understand that strategy considering it was a freaking playoff game. And yea, Sweezy was absolutely pathetic on that play.

Here's hoping that Carpenter comes back healthy and locks down LG, and Paul McQuistan can slide over and hold down RG next year.

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
Also, Wilson has to know to throw it away there. He needed to do absolutely anything to not take a sack. Even intentional grounding would have been ok. There would still be time after the ten second runoff, and a ten yard penalty still gives you a chance for a very make-able field goal.

hawker84

Reaction score
Missing_Clink":2yyyopb2 said:
Also, Wilson has to know to throw it away there. He needed to do absolutely anything to not take a sack. Even intentional grounding would have been ok. There would still be time after the ten second runoff, and a ten yard penalty still gives you a chance for a very make-able field goal.

i agree Clink, but man i honestly don't know if he even had time to throw it away, i mean sweezy whiffed big time, that dude was back there within seconds...

rsRyno

Reaction score
I don't understand why DangeRuss seems to be getting blasted today by media pundits over him "taking that sack". It seemed to me that he didn't really have much of a say in that situation. The ball was snapped and it felt like he wasn't even done dropping back before he was getting thrown to the ground.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Missing_Clink":3k605j3l said:

Wilson throwing it away wasn't possible. He hadn't hardly dropped back when he got sacked. Sweezy may have the physical skills that Cable looks for in an lineman, and maybe given a full off season, he'll become better, but that one particular play has to fall on Sweezy.

Greenhell

Reaction score
Missing_Clink":2o8tey03 said:

Its easy to say when watching the video but that Falcon player was on Russell within 2 seconds. I don't care how lighting quick someone is they're not gonna be able to get that ball off in 2 seconds. No way.

OP
OP
Hasselbeck

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Missing_Clink":1yoc7i9b said:

Man that block was so bad, didn't really give Wilson time to do that.

And with a grounding, they run 10 seconds off the clock then start the clock back up I believe. So it's end of half either way.

Soppie

Reaction score
No way he could have thrown that away. He was just getting set after his drop when he got hit. No Way.....

pocketprotector

Reaction score
Missing_Clink":3rchj663 said:
No way man. It would be one thing if it were an extra blitzer coming from the outside. But a guy coming untouched up the middle? No knowledgeable football fan blames that on Wilson.

Blitzer88

Reaction score
I put no blame on Russell there, he had no time to do anything thanks to Sweezy's "block" or lack there of. I love JR's potential, but he has cost us more than I would have liked, really wish they had just stuck with Moffitt as he seemed to do a fine job when he was put in.

TheHawkDoc

Reaction score
Echoing the sentiments of the other posters here. Sweezy got dusted so quickly that Wilson never had time to get rid of the ball. His football intelligence is off the charts, I'm sure he knew he can't take a sack in that situation but the defender was on him so fast he couldn't throw it away.

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
Honestly, since there was no timeouts left at the time, the thought crossed my mind to not take a chance on a player being tackled in the field of play (since we couldn't clock it) and just take the safe FG. But I wonder how that decision would have been received at the time...ie considered chickening out?

TheHawkDoc

Reaction score
HawkRiderFan":1n5ylg8j said:
Honestly, since there was no timeouts left at the time, the thought crossed my mind to not take a chance on a player being tackled in the field of play (since we couldn't clock it) and just take the safe FG. But I wonder how that decision would have been received at the time...ie considered chickening out?

Being down 20-0 at the time most fans would have killed Carroll for taking a FG on 3rd down with 16 seconds left. In hindsight that would have been the better option but that's why they call it hindsight. I think the people criticizing Wilson for "taking a sack" are off-base here and should be criticizing Sweezy because he has to know that he can't give up a sack there. He was clearly beat immediately off the snap and had to know Wilson was in trouble. He should have done whatever he could to prevent it from happening, including drawing a holding penalty, as that would have been a 10 yard penalty and still given us the opportunity to kick around a 40 yard FG instead of getting nothing at all.