State of the Hawks. State of the Twelves(long)

The Essential Online Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. RATING: PG-13
  • Our off season has begun, amidst a very what if mood and feeling. Our fourth last second defensive collapse of the season was a bitter ending to a game that felt almost destined to end with the last team holding the ball having a chance to win.

    First, hats off to our fanbase. From the Tanzania endzone to the slickest uniforms in the league, our Twelves are the loudest and best dressed in the league. 8-0 at home. Best home field advantage in the league. Even Niner fans are counting a loss in Seattle for the 2013 season. They just know. Arizona is too. St Louis is full of hope, but they just know that trip is going to suck. Minnesota gets a return trip, New Orleans gets to come back to the scene of the Beastquake (and my guess is that will be an early season prime time game), the Bucs bring their under performing squad to town, and the schedule rounds out with cupcakes Jacksonville and Tennessee. Welcome home Jake, and maybe Matt.
    The road schedule is not so easy. In addition to our conference opponents, we draw Houston, Indy and the Great Hype of Andrew Luck, the Giants, Carolina and a revenge spot at Atlanta. Potentially 6 early starts. Hopefully a couple of those end up on Sunday or Monday night, I definitely can see three of them being desirable to the networks.

    So where do we go from here? What are our strengths? What are our weaknesses? And considering what happened in Atlanta, are some of our perceived strengths actually weaknesses?

    First of all, isn't it nice to know our quarterback position is not an area of weakness for the next few years, maybe even a decade or more? Chalk up a few wins every year for the forseeable future just because the best quarterback in the NFC West, and one of the top 5 in the league is probably breaking down that loss as my digits hit these keys. The league is Witness, and so are you. Revel in it, players like this guy are rare. As are people like Russell. In fact, let's take just a second and celebrate Russell Wilson the human. I see and read the effect he has on people who resolve to do better in life because they admire how he is living his. Lets not Deify the man, but lets all take a moment and see how we can imitate his best. Do you know where your nearest children's hospital is? Do you know that you don't have to be a football player to volunteer your most valuable resource, your time? Russell knows. Positivity and a humble attitude can be contagious. We saw what it can do to a team, see what it can do for you. I know I will try my damnedest.

    Gear change. Halfway into the season, with our team sitting at 4-4, it seemed that our Receiver corps needed big help. It still needs help, but with the offense being one of the best in the league the last 8 games, it isn't the biggest need. Will it be addressed? Abso Freakin Lutely. the Terrell Owens and Braylon Edwards gambits were a nod to that. I expect that position to be bolstered. However, Tate and Rice have proven to be playmakers. Tate is on the verge of truly special. His comeback play on a Wilson scramble in the Atlanta game was instinctive, and counterintuitive for a receiver. Rice and Wilson still have not really established a shared intuition yet. The end zone view shows that Rice struggles to get into space when Wilson is scrambling many times. This is a skill that our receivers MUST develop more, because it will always be a big part of his game. All you amateur scouts out there, pay particular attention to college players who show good instincts while their quarterback is scrambling! those are guys who will thrive in Seattle.

    The tight end position is similar, the Kellen Winslow and Evan Moore signings were a nod to the need. The last half of the season saw talk about Zach Miller costing too much in 2013 dissipate like so much smoke. Zach Miller and Wilson have a real and developing rapport. Anthony McCoy had some big plays, but he is just slow, and drops seem to be part of his makeup. A fast tight end could be a real bonus.

    What a season from Marshawn Lynch. When the season began, the looming DUI was the talk of the town, and it still looms, but feels forgotten. On my back, Daw. Lynch carried this team, and the toll began to show at the end of the season. Here is hoping Turbin can get more chances to take the pressure of him next year, we will likely need his legs strong and fresh for the playoffs. Our staff is wise enough to always consider power back an area of need, no doubt they will find another one to flesh out the roster. Washington is not getting younger, and our team loves the young, but he brings emotion to his damn good return game. Maybe they look for another kick returner to at least compete? Robinson is MANNNNNNN.

    Which brings me to our offensive line. Opinions are divided here. The pure number of yards Lynch got after contact suggests this line is not as good as the numbers might say, but overall the run blocking was well above average. Two all stars in Unger and Okung, but after that the flaws are apparent. Penalties were clearly the biggest issues this unit had, but it did improve as the season wore on. Pass blocking was an area of weakness, covered up a lot by having a rabbit play quarterback. That rabbit means this unit will hardly be an area of focus, there are simply bigger areas of need. With Omiyale, Moffitt/Sweezy, Carpenter, Rishaw Johnson, the depth is spectacular. Probably a player will be added, bit I would look for the starters of this line to all come from the current roster.

    And now the Defense. Grumble Grumble.
    Stressing the positive, our defense has some spectacular players. The weaknesses aren't glaring, but they are far too exploitable for very patient offenses.
    Add to that this: We have a dangerous, but unique offense in San Francisco that makes team building in the NFC West strangely difficult. Build a team to more traditional 4-3 specs so you can compete with the rest of the league, and you risk building a team the Niners can exploit with their jumbo line sets and pistol quarterback.

    So what is the answer? We can debate about Marcus Trufant and Leroy Hill all day long, but the simple truth is that they are old and have to be replaced regardless of their effectiveness. Now, maybe the nickel Corner is already on the roster, but it is a position that should be treated as a third starting corner no matter what. I hope this will be addressed from outside the team, but I don't expect it. Nickel is so much different than press outside coverage, and it seems clear that Thurmond(break in case of fire)Thurmond and Lane are press corners. A man coverage specialist would be SOOO NICE, but I think Pete values corners who are versatile way too much to get some smallish nickel guy for the slot. He likes his bigger guys, and with Thurmond and Browner either in need of a new contract or replacement after 2013, there simply won't be room for some nickel specialist.

    Linebacker is a different story. Wagner has to improve at some of his gap fits, but overall had a great year, and his speed advantage in stopping pistol quarterbacks was so clear that it makes having another speed linebacker of his ilk on the roster inevitable. A guy with good coverage skill would be nice. Our linebacker depth was good this year, but the need for that guy who can run faster than Hill was plain, and I will be stunned if we don't get a linebacker like that in the draft or free agency.

    And that leaves the real area of need. Pass rush. Red Bryant is such an emotional leader of this team that I feel bad saying this, but he is becoming a liability simply because our offense is becoming so good that the lack of pass rush is more important than run stuffing. Mebane is good, his backup McDonald is adequate, Branch is a good situation guy, neither Clemons or Irvin are consistent, and with Clemons likely to be invisible in 2013, the pass rush is a crisis right now. A lot of you readers have hung the loss in Atlanta on Bradley, but the simple truth is that a lack of interior push cost us in that game from beginning to end. IMO, it was the deciding factor. Edge pressure is nice for splash plays, but there is simply no substitute for the uncomfortable feeling quarterbacks get when the pocket is retreating.

    Irvin is a specialist, and I saw little from him this year to suggest that another year of weights and instruction will make him anything other than a speed guy. He has the athletic profile of Clay Matthews, but not the motor. I don't question his drive, don't get me wrong, I question his inventiveness in the moment. I think he is a 3-4 OLB, pure and simple. Putting him on the line of scrimmage in a stance minimizes his one true skill.

    And the decline and then eventual loss of Jason Jones highlighted how much interior pressure we need to get. Scruggs shows great potential, but the need for another quick defensive tackle is clear. I think Pete will see this as the biggest priority on the team. We may see both a rookie and a free agent at this spot.

    Now for the good news. Lots of teams are in coaching transition right now, and with transition comes scheme change. And with scheme change comes quality players on the open market or available for trade. Will we make a weakness into a strength in 2013? I hope so.

    As for the coaching, while Bradley and Bevell have taken their lumps from the Twelves, me included, we can win a Super Bowl with these coordinators if they remain in Seattle. It seemed at times our road gameplans were too bent on controlling the clock. Pete admitted as much after the Miami game. In a league with rules that favor passing, not taking full advantage is just stubborn. In games where defenses seem intent on stopping the run at all cost, like Miami and Atlanta, the decision to take advantage on offense has to come sooner.

    On defense, when focused exclusively on stopping the big play, we turn into one of the worst defenses in the league. See Detroit, Miami, Atlanta, and Jay Cutler to Brandon Marshall. We can talk about the coordinator's merits all day, Pete has to adjust first. I want to make clear that this coaching flaw is not damning, and in fact, if we can clear up the personnel issues on the defensive line so that our road pass rush more closely resembles our home pass rush, the conservative coaching at the end of games will go away. In no way do I advocate abandoning the run. Right now Seattle is 55/45 run. A more balanced split, even 55/45 pass is not unreasonable considering both the talent and rules.

    Will our coaching staff adjust? I think they will. Russell Wilson is the best player on this team, and building it around him has to be the next evolution for our offense. With that will come less emphasis on power running. Not less importance, just less emphasis.

    So, in summation, thank all of you for an awesome season at .NET, thanks to the Seahawks for an entertaining and hope inspiring season, and thank you if you made it all the way to this part of the post.

    Now, for the draft...
    SEAHAWKS.NET. We All We Got, We All We Need
    User avatar
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
    *Scott of Smacksville*
     
    Posts: 11244
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:14 am


  • Nice write up Scott.

    Another thing that really helped us this year was the lack of a lot of major injuries.

    I guess part of that is luck and maybe part is the staff on the Hawks conditioning.

    Definitely need that DT and DE to get past that SF line.
    Image

    R.I.P. Brother Les
    User avatar
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor
     
    Posts: 24223
    Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:38 pm
    Location: Freddy's favorite song?....Dream On


  • Thanks for this, Scott.

    To me, the biggest addition has to be by Pete. Two sequences in the playoffs are pretty clear examples of the change needed.

    First example, after the RG3 fumble in Washington, the Hawks have 1st and Goal within the 5. They choose to throw the ball 3 times. Ummmm? Second example, yes, the 3rd and 4th and 1 in Atlanta. No Lynch on either down. Either give it to Lynch, or go play action/aggressive.

    Those two instances show that the staff needs to grow and adapt. The staff coached a particular way for 2.5 years to compensate for youth and personnel deficiencies - so it's excusable there's residuals tendencies from that time. But, not heading into next year.

    An identity needs to be identified and stuck to, no matter the circumstance.
    User avatar
    pehawk
    * Report Button *
     
    Posts: 10217
    Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:08 pm


  • Great stuff.

    I think the loss of Jason Jones has been pretty underplayed by us fans. I think that was a lot bigger then we realize.
    Image
    User avatar
    JSeahawks
    * NET Moderator *
     
    Posts: 18604
    Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:35 pm
    Location: Milwaukie, Oregon


  • JSeahawks wrote:Great stuff.

    I think the loss of Jason Jones has been pretty underplayed by us fans. I think that was a lot bigger then we realize.

    When his knee issues took over he kind of disappeared anyway. What is funny is that Jason Jones only had one move, his quick two steps past the guard, and after that he usually had to jump and try to block a pass, but damn if tht wasn't all that was needed.
    SEAHAWKS.NET. We All We Got, We All We Need
    User avatar
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
    *Scott of Smacksville*
     
    Posts: 11244
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:14 am


  • That was a great read, Scott...and I'd like to quote this:

    "Irvin is a specialist, and I saw little from him this year to suggest that another year of weights and instruction will make him anything other than a speed guy. He has the athletic profile of Clay Matthews, but not the motor. I don't question his drive, don't get me wrong, I question his inventiveness in the moment. I think he is a 3-4 OLB, pure and simple. Putting him on the line of scrimmage in a stance minimizes his one true skill."

    Soooooooooo.....what about moving Irvin to Hill's spot? I know there are other plans for Irvin, but would he really FIT better at OLB? He's DAMN quick. Maybe playing in space might be better for his skills?

    Just throwing that out there.
    User avatar
    Lieutenant Dan
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
     
    Posts: 386
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:52 am
    Location: Memphis (Displaced Seattleite)


  • Regarding Bryant...

    I know he was invisible as a DT before Carroll arrived on the scene, but now that he's gained a lot of experience, would it be possible that he could thrive returning to a DT role and allowing a more traditional DE that offers some pass rush ability to take his spot?
    Image

    Super Bowl XLVIII Champions
    User avatar
    volsunghawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 8176
    Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:20 am
    Location: Right outside Richard Sherman's house


  • I'm with ya Dan, 100%. I see a Capers 3-4 OLB.
    User avatar
    pehawk
    * Report Button *
     
    Posts: 10217
    Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:08 pm


  • Great piece Scottemojo! I think you hit the nail on the head with this. Red has been great but as big as he is it never seems like he gets any push. I don't know if he gets lazy and takes plays off or is just really slow and lacks any quickness. It seems like he fires off the line with a burst and push but stops giving 100% once he gets tied up with an o-lineman. I'm all for Hill as depth and think Tru has seen his last days as a Hawk.
    User avatar
    Greenhell
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2789
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:46 am


  • We DO have 10 picks at the moment before J.S. does his thing.

    Unfortunately we shouldn't be talking about all of this today, but I just feel like this team over acheived, and the future is bright because of it. I didn't expect this.
    Image

    R.I.P. Brother Les
    User avatar
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor
     
    Posts: 24223
    Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:38 pm
    Location: Freddy's favorite song?....Dream On


  • pehawk wrote:Thanks for this, Scott.

    To me, the biggest addition has to be by Pete. Two sequences in the playoffs are pretty clear examples of the change needed.

    First example, after the RG3 fumble in Washington, the Hawks have 1st and Goal within the 5. They choose to throw the ball 3 times. Ummmm? Second example, yes, the 3rd and 4th and 1 in Atlanta. No Lynch on either down. Either give it to Lynch, or go play action/aggressive.

    Those two instances show that the staff needs to grow and adapt. The staff coached a particular way for 2.5 years to compensate for youth and personnel deficiencies - so it's excusable there's residuals tendencies from that time. But, not heading into next year.

    An identity needs to be identified and stuck to, no matter the circumstance.

    Part of that is their offensive philosophy of trying to do things one way form certain formations, then exploit the defense cheating that way later in the game. We have the talent to just take what the D is giving rather than establishing a beachhead.

    On that washington series you reference, I was especially disappointed with the fact that Washington dropped into an endzone zone, and Seattle never tried to take advantage of the empty ten yards (after the 5 yard penalty). But no receivers tried to comeback either. What an awful series of playcalls.

    But, in the coaches defense, it can't be easy to alter your core offensive beliefs.

    Later this off season, I am going to watch the coaches view because I want a more confirmed idea of if some of the personnel groups really were as odd as that Washington series.
    SEAHAWKS.NET. We All We Got, We All We Need
    User avatar
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
    *Scott of Smacksville*
     
    Posts: 11244
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:14 am


  • Great post, Scott.

    I agree completely on the pass rush and Red - and I LOVE Red. But it seems we need adjust.

    The confusing thing for me this season with our defense is....they obviously know we are shortening our pass rush with Bryant playing at DE - so where are the compensating schemes to help? Why didn't we draft a pass rush specialist OLB to mitigate that? We seem content to play base defense knowing we are donating a DE pass rusher to science.

    We need a pocket collapser, no question. Jones was effective for us, but I think I'd rather have a much stronger guy that demands constant attention. Jones is a tweener, seems almost better suited for the edge.
    @SeahawkGreg

    Image

    "I will be thrilled with 10 wins.... If we win 14 games, I will tattoo my nuts green and blue!" --13thMan
    User avatar
    FlyingGreg
    * Master Chief *
    * Master Chief *
     
    Posts: 7534
    Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 6:19 am
    Location: CVN-68


  • Disagree with you on Bruce.
    P-Rich fo life
    User avatar
    ImTheScientist
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2546
    Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:14 am


  • Scottemojo wrote:Part of that is their offensive philosophy of trying to do things one way form certain formations, then exploit the defense cheating that way later in the game. We have the talent to just take what the D is giving rather than establishing a beachhead.

    On that washington series you reference, I was especially disappointed with the fact that Washington dropped into an endzone zone, and Seattle never tried to take advantage of the empty ten yards (after the 5 yard penalty). But no receivers tried to comeback either. What an awful series of playcalls.

    But, in the coaches defense, it can't be easy to alter your core offensive beliefs.

    Later this off season, I am going to watch the coaches view because I want a more confirmed idea of if some of the personnel groups really were as odd as that Washington series.


    Yup. Hopefully this offseason the staff finally realizes; "oh, we're just better than the opposition, there's no need to overthink this"

    In the staffs defense I dont think anyone expected the offense to become elite overnight (well, except for me).
    User avatar
    pehawk
    * Report Button *
     
    Posts: 10217
    Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:08 pm


  • I know I didn't. I kept waiting for it to crash back down. It isn't going to .
    SEAHAWKS.NET. We All We Got, We All We Need
    User avatar
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
    *Scott of Smacksville*
     
    Posts: 11244
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:14 am



  • You can't use profanity (in this case the phrase "Tarvaris Jackson") in the main forum.

    Take it to the shack!

    :th2thumbs:
    @SeahawkGreg

    Image

    "I will be thrilled with 10 wins.... If we win 14 games, I will tattoo my nuts green and blue!" --13thMan
    User avatar
    FlyingGreg
    * Master Chief *
    * Master Chief *
     
    Posts: 7534
    Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 6:19 am
    Location: CVN-68


  • I didn't agree with the plan, but I understood the strategy of layering the offensive nuances on Wilson slowly. As early as the Rams loss, it became obvious that Wilson could make any throw he wanted to. We'll never know what could've occured if the staff had entrusted Wilson a little more, so there's no point in arguing it.

    BUT....

    It cant be an issue next year, period. This team has the perfect mix of talent and attitude. The type of mix franchises are lucky to get twice in 75 years, let alone once. It cant be squandered by a staff repeating mistakes, period. I know this is grounds for flaming, but, none of this nonsense should be acceptable next year, or, yeah, I'll want a fresh start.

    I'm not ripping Pete, as I stated, I never agreed but understood their thinking.
    User avatar
    pehawk
    * Report Button *
     
    Posts: 10217
    Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:08 pm


  • I look at yesterday's game and several games before that and say stopping the run is a huge issue as big as pressuring the passer. I mean seriously many running back ran on us the second half of the season and it was especially on display through yesterday's game......
    mikeak
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3495
    Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:24 pm
    Location: Anchorage, AK


  • mikeak wrote:I look at yesterday's game and several games before that and say stopping the run is a huge issue as big as pressuring the passer. I mean seriously many running back ran on us the second half of the season and it was especially on display through yesterday's game......

    To an extent, won't teams running on us kinda take care of itself when our offense is rolling? Atlanta, for instance, just wants to give up on the run. It is in their offensive blood.
    SEAHAWKS.NET. We All We Got, We All We Need
    User avatar
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
    *Scott of Smacksville*
     
    Posts: 11244
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:14 am


  • T-Sizzle wrote:Disagree with you on Bruce.

    Why?
    SEAHAWKS.NET. We All We Got, We All We Need
    User avatar
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
    *Scott of Smacksville*
     
    Posts: 11244
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:14 am


  • We have a great pass rush, if manage correctly. On sure passing downs lineup Bruce Irvin behind Chris Clemons in a OLBer postion, it would rattle even Tom Brady. Double team their LT, Clemons goes wide and shoot Irvin inside...or vice a versa. Teach Irvin to play a 10 yard zone.
    We need more of a push from our DTs, and "THATS" we need to draft.
    2013-2014 SUPERBOWL CHAMPIONS
    User avatar
    Chawker
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1320
    Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:18 am
    Location: corner of 40th & plum


  • Scottemojo wrote:
    T-Sizzle wrote:Disagree with you on Bruce.

    Why?


    Because it's the same ridiculous argument we hear from impatient fans this board is littered with.

    Does any of this sound familiar?

    Max Unger is weak and will never be a good player-- despite playing his rookie year out of position and then being injured for nearly his entire 2nd year. In year 3 and now year 4 he is arguably our best Offensive lineman and in the top 2-3 players on the offense.

    Golden Tate- Golden sucks and will never become a great player, this was said after a very nondescript 1st year. Further said after his 2nd year in which the 2nd half of the season was very strong. INterestingly enough he ended 2012 with only 10 more catches than he had in 2011.

    By making these snap judgements like you make in the OP, you are denying the most basic truth in player development. The majority of players take significant steps forward from year 1- 2. So why are you suggesting that Irvin can't do that?

    Poeple keep saying that he's too light to play the run, I've got news for you Clemmons is only 5 pounds heavier than Irvin and he does just fine. It's not unheard of for players to pack on 5-10 pounds in 1 offseason. I think with another offseason under his belt he'll become much more consistent. WIll he be able to take over for Clemmons? Only time will tell.

    Just look at this roster you see a substantial amount of evidence of players improving production from year 1 to year 2. Chancellor was a spot duty player as a rookie only to start and be very effective in year 2. Sherman has improved on his play from 2011 and become even better. Browner has been better as a 2nd year starter getting less penalties this year.

    KJ Wright was terrific this year as a 2nd year player. Just think how Bobby Wagner, Jeremy Lane, Robert Turbin and Gregg Scruggs will be with a year under their belts.
    jlwaters1
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2427
    Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:48 pm


  • Scottemojo wrote:First of all, isn't it nice to know our quarterback position is not an area of weakness for the next few years, maybe even a decade or more? Chalk up a few wins every year for the forseeable future just because the best quarterback in the NFC West, and one of the top 5 in the league is probably breaking down that loss as my digits hit these keys. The league is Witness, and so are you. Revel in it, players like this guy are rare. As are people like Russell. In fact, let's take just a second and celebrate Russell Wilson the human. I see and read the effect he has on people who resolve to do better in life because they admire how he is living his. Lets not Deify the man, but lets all take a moment and see how we can imitate his best. Do you know where your nearest children's hospital is? Do you know that you don't have to be a football player to volunteer your most valuable resource, your time? Russell knows. Positivity and a humble attitude can be contagious. We saw what it can do to a team, see what it can do for you. I know I will try my damnedest.


    Good stuff Scott but this paragraph was your best work.
    Last edited by Aros on Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
    Image

    Les "The Radish" Norton - Ambassador/Grandfather of .NET, gone too soon but will never be forgotten. RIP
    User avatar
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]
     
    Posts: 8190
    Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:58 am
    Location: Just 6 miles from Richard Sherman!


  • jlwaters1 wrote:
    Scottemojo wrote:
    T-Sizzle wrote:Disagree with you on Bruce.

    Why?


    Because it's the same ridiculous argument we hear from impatient fans this board is littered with.

    Does any of this sound familiar?

    Max Unger is weak and will never be a good player-- despite playing his rookie year out of position and then being injured for nearly his entire 2nd year. In year 3 and now year 4 he is arguably our best Offensive lineman and in the top 2-3 players on the offense.

    Golden Tate- Golden sucks and will never become a great player, this was said after a very nondescript 1st year. Further said after his 2nd year in which the 2nd half of the season was very strong. INterestingly enough he ended 2012 with only 10 more catches than he had in 2011.

    By making these snap judgements like you make in the OP, you are denying the most basic truth in player development. The majority of players take significant steps forward from year 1- 2. So why are you suggesting that Irvin can't do that?

    Poeple keep saying that he's too light to play the run, I've got news for you Clemmons is only 5 pounds heavier than Irvin and he does just fine. It's not unheard of for players to pack on 5-10 pounds in 1 offseason. I think with another offseason under his belt he'll become much more consistent. WIll he be able to take over for Clemmons? Only time will tell.

    Just look at this roster you see a substantial amount of evidence of players improving production from year 1 to year 2. Chancellor was a spot duty player as a rookie only to start and be very effective in year 2. Sherman has improved on his play from 2011 and become even better. Browner has been better as a 2nd year starter getting less penalties this year.

    KJ Wright was terrific this year as a 2nd year player. Just think how Bobby Wagner, Jeremy Lane, Robert Turbin and Gregg Scruggs will be with a year under their belts.

    Hey, I was way off on Unger. Might turn out to be Ruskell's best pick. I hope I am way off on Irvin too.

    But I didn't say I thought Irvin was limited physically. Or by size. I said I haven't seen anything to suggest he will be more than a speed rusher. Hell, he might get real good at it. Like Aldon Smith good. I just haven't seen anything to suggest he will be a 3 down run player. After the draft Pete said publicly he thought Irvin would play something like 700 snaps, and Irvin ended up with about half that. He has not had the first year Pete wanted either.
    SEAHAWKS.NET. We All We Got, We All We Need
    User avatar
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
    *Scott of Smacksville*
     
    Posts: 11244
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:14 am


  • To be fair, Unger also got the virtue of the greatest OLine coach of all-time (briefly) and the current heavyweight champion of OL coaches.

    Maybe the Dline coach sucks?
    User avatar
    pehawk
    * Report Button *
     
    Posts: 10217
    Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:08 pm


  • pehawk wrote:To be fair, Unger also got the virtue of the greatest OLine coach of all-time (briefly) and the current heavyweight champion of OL coaches.

    Maybe the Dline coach sucks?

    I kinda think it is more personnel than scheme. Red was never good in th emiddle, Branch has always been a 2 gapper, and Clemons was a journeyman til he got here. The D-line coach didn't make Red lose contain on those opening two series vs the Skins.
    SEAHAWKS.NET. We All We Got, We All We Need
    User avatar
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
    *Scott of Smacksville*
     
    Posts: 11244
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:14 am




It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:54 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]




Information