What would it cost to bring Suh home?

The Essential Online Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. RATING: PG-13
  • pehawk wrote:Okay, well Mr Buzzkill BlueandGreen explained why this will not happen. But, what would the cap ramifications be if Paul Allen just bought Ford? Huh, Mr Smartguy? What then?


    I like the way you think.

    But I guess we'll just have to hold out hope that Schneider does his Schneider-type things and gets us a guy who plays at 98% of Suh's level in the 5th round next draft.
    Image

    Super Bowl XLVIII Champions
    User avatar
    volsunghawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 8170
    Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:20 am
    Location: Right outside Richard Sherman's house


  • Damn cap and Detroits dumbass contract.
    Image

    R.I.P. Brother Les
    User avatar
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor
     
    Posts: 24199
    Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:38 pm
    Location: Freddy's favorite song?....Dream On


  • IBleedBlueAndGreen wrote:Suh isn't going anywhere this year. His contract included $40 million guaranteed. He still has $19 million of that left to be paid (based on cap number, not what he's actually received). His cap hit for next year jumps from $6.56 to $17.2 million. However if he is traded ALL of that guaranteed money becomes a 2012 cap hit.

    Basically if Detroit keeps him his cap number is $17.2 million.
    If Detroit trades him, his cap number is $19 million and he's not on the team.
    Not going to happen.

    http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/detroit-lions/ndamukong-suh/


    Please educate me one bit further as I don't understand this. Isn't the cap hit only if they cut him? If Seahaws trades for him they would pay the $19 million and it would go off the Detroit books. He didn't get a signing bonus so it isn't like money is split over the years and needs to be picked up as well.......

    With that said this front office doesn't want to spend big and use all the cap space on one player - draft well build that way is how everything to this point have been made

    Curious do you trade Browner straight up (what a cap relief) and hope to pick up another 5th rounder......
    mikeak
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3486
    Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:24 pm
    Location: Anchorage, AK


  • jdblack wrote:I don't think it is in PS/JC to pay for anything but a low-profile, younger diamond in the rough. They have enough contracts coming up on the current roster.

    Edit: I also think they will settle for letting Jones get healthy, hoping Clemons gets healthy, bulking Irvin up, and adding depth with a 3rd-ish round draft pick.

    Wow would that be the worst.
    BAllenHawk
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 276
    Joined: Sun May 27, 2012 10:45 am
    Location: Tri-Cities, WA


  • pehawk wrote:
    SouthSoundHawk wrote:Don't see this happening, unless his contract is up or Seattle is willing to throw a lot at Detroit to get him. It'd be cool, but right now it's just a fantasy. Time will tell, but I'm not even going to ponder holding my breath.


    Oh, okay.

    I didn't know we weren't allowed to hypothosize or ask questions like "what would it cost?". I really do apologize. The last thing I or anyone else wants is you holding your breath. I mean, if you did, you'd die and we wouldn't be honored by your pearls of wisdom. I for one would be really sad over that.



    Wake up on the wrong side of the bed this morning did ya? Didn't get the memo telling me I'm not allowed to answer the question at hand, or to express an opinion.


    Let me go check that inbox for the memo my liege.
    Image

    Go Hawks.
    User avatar
    SouthSoundHawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2197
    Joined: Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:06 am


  • OMG Suh would totally be the missing piece of the puzzle in this system. He's a moster up the middle and he's big enough to stuff the run so he can play every down. AND he'd want to play here! no... I'm not going to get my hopes up but, damn....

    Rotoworld says Suh is signed through 2015 and making $11.55/yr. That's some big cheddar and Detroit has a lot of big contracts to pay; Megatron's not one of them (not in 2013 anyway), his contract kicks into overdrive in 2015, he's only getting $5m next 2 years. Stafford's kicks into the big money in 2013 though (he kicks up to $12m). Burlson's due to make 4.5 next year. Chris Avril and Justin Durant are UFA's. Nick Fairley isn't set to be a UFA until 2015.

    It sounds like they aren't really happy with Suh's 'tude (I for one LIKE a DT whos a big mean basterd that will stomp on a dude's nuts, but different strokes I guess) so he may very well be the cap casualty they jettison to pay some of the other guys. Looks like they have the room to keep him if they decide they want to keep him, but they could just as well punt him and go another direction. He'd likely be picked off waivers before we could ever get a chance to take on his salary so it's likely a moot point, but we do have the cap room....
    Radish, check your PMs. Man upstairs has an invite for a tail gate up in heaven with your name on it.
    User avatar
    CANHawk
    * Gangnameister *
     
    Posts: 11430
    Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 3:29 pm
    Location: PoCompton, BC Canada


  • suh will cost a fortune. no thanks.
    User avatar
    GeorgeKush
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 202
    Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:39 am
    Location: big black hawk


  • CANHawk wrote:OMG Suh would totally be the missing piece of the puzzle in this system. He's a moster up the middle and he's big enough to stuff the run so he can play every down. AND he'd want to play here! no... I'm not going to get my hopes up but, damn....

    Rotoworld says Suh is signed through 2015 and making $11.55/yr. That's some big cheddar and Detroit has a lot of big contracts to pay; Megatron's not one of them (not in 2013 anyway), his contract kicks into overdrive in 2015, he's only getting $5m next 2 years. Stafford's kicks into the big money in 2013 though (he kicks up to $12m). Burlson's due to make 4.5 next year. Chris Avril and Justin Durant are UFA's. Nick Fairley isn't set to be a UFA until 2015.

    It sounds like they aren't really happy with Suh's 'tude (I for one LIKE a DT whos a big mean basterd that will stomp on a dude's nuts, but different strokes I guess) so he may very well be the cap casualty they jettison to pay some of the other guys. Looks like they have the room to keep him if they decide they want to keep him, but they could just as well punt him and go another direction. He'd likely be picked off waivers before we could ever get a chance to take on his salary so it's likely a moot point, but we do have the cap room....


    From your fingers to your shitty Prime Ministers ears my friend.

    In the midst of all of us fluffing each other over this teams potential, we're forgetting this is still Seattle. Seattle, a market where its always difficult to attract FA's. Anytime there's a chance to get a guy who actually PREFERS repping the 206, you do it, IMO.

    Burleson should still be here, IMO, because of that.
    User avatar
    pehawk
    * Report Button *
     
    Posts: 10181
    Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:08 pm


Re: What would it cost to bring Suh home?
Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:03 am
  • I agree. My Prime Minister IS kinda shitty. But don't blame me... I voted for Kodos.
    Radish, check your PMs. Man upstairs has an invite for a tail gate up in heaven with your name on it.
    User avatar
    CANHawk
    * Gangnameister *
     
    Posts: 11430
    Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 3:29 pm
    Location: PoCompton, BC Canada


Re: What would it cost to bring Suh home?
Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:09 am
  • Sometimes teams are willing to spend money to get rid of a player if they think the relationship is beyond repair. See SEattle and TJ Housmandzadah.

    Personally I would trade our entire draft for Suh. Seriuosly. (well maybe i'd keep one 3rd or 5th round pick... because we know what Pete and John do with those)

    With Suh we would have the meanest, most violent, most physical defense in the league and he would make every single player on our D that much better.

    I honestly do think that Suh will be a Seahawk someday. It just seems like an inevitablity with him being from the NW, and his mentality and our mentality. Unfortunatly I dont think it will be this offseason.
    Image
    User avatar
    JSeahawks
    * NET Moderator *
     
    Posts: 18602
    Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:35 pm
    Location: Milwaukie, Oregon


Re: What would it cost to bring Suh home?
Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:17 am
  • I would rather look for waiver wire practice squad talent, draft picks, and UDFA first. I think Melton or Starks could be targets for Schneider especially Starks based on how he manhandled San Fran and our O-line plus he would be cheaper. Hell I'd rather pick up Hunt in the draft and re-sign Jones and Branch then make that deal for Suh.

    Damn I wish we were playing next week! :(
    NFL, all your Owlz are belong to us!
    User avatar
    12th_Bob
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1797
    Joined: Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:56 pm


Re: What would it cost to bring Suh home?
Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:22 am
  • too much for one position...have to leverage everyone else...sherman and wilson coming out in back to back years??

    think revis $$ and maybe Matt Ryan $$ (comparison on qb levels after manning brady, average of mid-top qb's)
    zayden185
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 599
    Joined: Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:04 am


Re: What would it cost to bring Suh home?
Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:32 am
  • Suh would be a huge fix. Like getting nuclear bullets to shore up that pesky immigrant/border problem.
    But, I don't see him being available until the last year of his deal at the earliest. And he would have to be a free agent to come here, because I suspect that teams with higher draft picks and even more cap than us would give the Lions better offers. But if he ever hits free agency, I will be on blast thinking we will get him. In the right hands, he could be Reggie White. I would line him up at DE, DT, all over the dam place just to see QBs sweat.
    SEAHAWKS.NET. We All We Got, We All We Need
    User avatar
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
    *Scott of Smacksville*
     
    Posts: 11227
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:14 am


Re: What would it cost to bring Suh home?
Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:41 am
  • 12th_Bob wrote:...... I think Melton or Starks could be targets for Schneider especially Starks based on how he manhandled San Fran and our O-line plus he would be cheaper.......

    Anyone have an educated guess as to how much cheaper Starks would be? Would it be doable considering the contracts looming for the Hawks?
    Last edited by hawksfansinceday1 on Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
    From the white sands
    To the canyon lands
    To the redwood stands
    To the barren lands

    Image

    Proud member of the 38 club
    User avatar
    hawksfansinceday1
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 11788
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:38 am
    Location: Vancouver, WA


Re: What would it cost to bring Suh home?
Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:41 am
  • Too much baggage!
    #NEXTMANUP
    User avatar
    Evil_Shenanigans
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2579
    Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:15 am


Re: What would it cost to bring Suh home?
Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:58 am
  • don't we have like 10 draft picks this year spread throughout all the rounds?
    pull a falcons and do what you got to get him. we are probably that ONE piece away from going just as far.
    if that game would have ended the way the panthers game did it would have been due to a pass rush.
    We are the 2014 Superbowl champions and it can never, ever be taken away.
    Greatest defense in NFL history.
    User avatar
    Seeker
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1343
    Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2011 7:21 pm


  • mikeak wrote:
    IBleedBlueAndGreen wrote:Suh isn't going anywhere this year. His contract included $40 million guaranteed. He still has $19 million of that left to be paid (based on cap number, not what he's actually received). His cap hit for next year jumps from $6.56 to $17.2 million. However if he is traded ALL of that guaranteed money becomes a 2012 cap hit.

    Basically if Detroit keeps him his cap number is $17.2 million.
    If Detroit trades him, his cap number is $19 million and he's not on the team.
    Not going to happen.

    http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/detroit-lions/ndamukong-suh/


    Please educate me one bit further as I don't understand this. Isn't the cap hit only if they cut him? If Seahaws trades for him they would pay the $19 million and it would go off the Detroit books. He didn't get a signing bonus so it isn't like money is split over the years and needs to be picked up as well.......

    With that said this front office doesn't want to spend big and use all the cap space on one player - draft well build that way is how everything to this point have been made

    Curious do you trade Browner straight up (what a cap relief) and hope to pick up another 5th rounder......


    Any money that is labeled as "guaranteed" when a contract is signed means two things: 1. the player will receive that money no matter what happens and 2. as a result that money will ALL have to be accounted for with the salary cap. It would actually make more sense to release Suh if he is not going to be on the team, but they would have to wait until June 1st to do so. For players that are released after June 1st the team can choose to take the cap hit during that year, or can cut it in half and take half of the cap hit the following year (unless something changed with the last CBA that I'm not aware of).

    They are not trading Browner. His cap number for next year is $550K. That is peanuts.
    Image

    "There is no delay of game. We did not let the team know we were scratching our balls"
    User avatar
    IBleedBlueAndGreen
    * NET Injury Guru *
     
    Posts: 1608
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:56 am
    Location: Poulsbo, WA


  • Suh is the guy on another team that I want the most on the Hawks. If somehow they got him, he'd instantly be one of my favorite players on the team. I absolutely love what he brings to the table and think he'd have a sensational career in Seattle. I don't know if it'd ever happen, but I'd absolutely love it if it did. I wonder what it'd take to get this done.
    Talkin Seahawks All Day, All Night @ my blog Seafense! http://seafense.blogspot.com/
    User avatar
    NYCoug
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1415
    Joined: Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:45 pm


  • Largent80 wrote:Damn cap and Detroits dumbass contract.


    Curse the old CBA that made the Lions have no choice to give him that contract.

    It's the same reason Aaron Curry got $60M with $34M guaranteed
    February 2, 2014... the day the dream was finally realized
    User avatar
    Hasselbeck
    * NET Sage *
     
    Posts: 5114
    Joined: Sat May 02, 2009 4:55 pm


  • Hasselbeck wrote:
    Largent80 wrote:Damn cap and Detroits dumbass contract.


    Curse the old CBA that made the Lions have no choice to give him that contract.

    It's the same reason Aaron Curry got $60M with $34M guaranteed


    I remember how many of us were hoping that either McCoy or Suh would fall in that draft, too. Screw you Ruskell, while we're at it.
    Super Bowl Champions XVLIII

    RIP Radish: Check your PMs. Upper right corner.
    User avatar
    Sarlacc83
    * NET Philistine *
     
    Posts: 15443
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 8:02 am
    Location: Portland, OR


  • IBleedBlueAndGreen wrote:
    mikeak wrote:
    IBleedBlueAndGreen wrote:Suh isn't going anywhere this year. His contract included $40 million guaranteed. He still has $19 million of that left to be paid (based on cap number, not what he's actually received). His cap hit for next year jumps from $6.56 to $17.2 million. However if he is traded ALL of that guaranteed money becomes a 2012 cap hit.

    Basically if Detroit keeps him his cap number is $17.2 million.
    If Detroit trades him, his cap number is $19 million and he's not on the team.
    Not going to happen.

    http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/detroit-lions/ndamukong-suh/


    Please educate me one bit further as I don't understand this. Isn't the cap hit only if they cut him? If Seahaws trades for him they would pay the $19 million and it would go off the Detroit books. He didn't get a signing bonus so it isn't like money is split over the years and needs to be picked up as well.......

    With that said this front office doesn't want to spend big and use all the cap space on one player - draft well build that way is how everything to this point have been made

    Curious do you trade Browner straight up (what a cap relief) and hope to pick up another 5th rounder......


    Any money that is labeled as "guaranteed" when a contract is signed means two things: 1. the player will receive that money no matter what happens and 2. as a result that money will ALL have to be accounted for with the salary cap. It would actually make more sense to release Suh if he is not going to be on the team, but they would have to wait until June 1st to do so. For players that are released after June 1st the team can choose to take the cap hit during that year, or can cut it in half and take half of the cap hit the following year (unless something changed with the last CBA that I'm not aware of).

    They are not trading Browner. His cap number for next year is $550K. That is peanuts.


    I still think that if Detroit trades him to Seattle then Seattle pays the guaranteed money and it will NOT count against Detroit cap. It won't count twice the union would never have allowed for that. This is not an issue of cutting Suh it is an issue of trading him.
    mikeak
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3486
    Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:24 pm
    Location: Anchorage, AK


  • I'd give up our 1st and 2nd plus next years 2nd. I think we could get a 3rd for Flynn. If our #1 and #2 needs are Pass rush DT and another DE. and we drafted them 1st and 2nd round I doubt they would have nearly the same impact Suh would have.

    With a 3rd, 4th, 2x 5th, 6th 2x 7th, and mabye another 3rd from Flynn we can still get soem depth at TE, WR, LB, OL, and DL. With 18Mil in cap room this year why not bring him in and pay him big money up front.

    Why did you even bring this up now all I can think about is how incredible our defense would be with a monster like Suh.
    Image
    User avatar
    Wenhawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2180
    Joined: Sat Dec 12, 2009 6:38 am
    Location: Graham, WA


  • Draft the next Suh in the first or second round of this year's draft. Better and cheaper.
    World Champion Seattle Seahawks football. It's an addiction, and there is no cure.
    Les Norton - gone but never forgotten. Rest in blue and green peace, my friend.
    User avatar
    Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *
     
    Posts: 18774
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:23 am
    Location: The beautiful PNW


  • Seahawk Sailor wrote:Draft the next Suh in the first or second round of this year's draft. Better and cheaper.


    Is it really? WTH are we waiting for then!

    Guys like Suh, and his dad Cortez Kennedy, come out once a decade or so.
    User avatar
    pehawk
    * Report Button *
     
    Posts: 10181
    Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:08 pm


  • Seahawk Sailor wrote:Draft the next Suh in the first or second round of this year's draft. Better and cheaper.


    Yeah, Sailor, you know that's not going to happen. There's no way GMs would pass on a player with Suh's measurables for nearly two rounds. No way. (And don't bring up Russell Wilson because he's the exception.)
    Super Bowl Champions XVLIII

    RIP Radish: Check your PMs. Upper right corner.
    User avatar
    Sarlacc83
    * NET Philistine *
     
    Posts: 15443
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 8:02 am
    Location: Portland, OR


  • Seahawk Sailor wrote:Draft the next Suh in the first or second round of this year's draft. Better and cheaper.


    Satire? :) Guys with physical talent like Suh's would never escape the top 5 picks. And seriously, this is the worst draft for DT I've seen in years. DE isn't a whole lot better, unfortunately.

    I do see the next Zach Miller and Roddy White reaching our #25 pick though. Great year to pick late, just not for DL.
    User avatar
    kearly
    * Mr Random Thought *
     
    Posts: 11202
    Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:44 am


  • I'd REALLY like to get resolution on the cap ramifications, for each side.

    We've had a few birdies inform us that Suh's a quiet cat off the field. A homebody who WANTS to play for Seattle. It's a huge need for Seattle. Detroit has lots of problems aside from just concnerns over Suh. AND, they invested a high draft pick to their defensive interior just two years ago. For all that, it makes sense.

    C'mon, we can will this to happen, right folks? Anyone have a copy of "The Secret" lying around?
    User avatar
    pehawk
    * Report Button *
     
    Posts: 10181
    Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:08 pm


  • It would be cool to get a player like Suh, but he's a dirty player. Dont think i could root for him
    Image
    sig by Ramster
    User avatar
    The Battle #83
    NET Starter
     
    Posts: 318
    Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:42 pm
    Location: Rival Country


  • The Battle #83 wrote:It would be cool to get a player like Suh, but he's a dirty player. Dont think i could root for him


    You sound like fans from 31 other teams speaking about Browner and Sherman.
    User avatar
    pehawk
    * Report Button *
     
    Posts: 10181
    Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:08 pm


  • pehawk wrote:
    The Battle #83 wrote:It would be cool to get a player like Suh, but he's a dirty player. Dont think i could root for him


    You sound like fans from 31 other teams speaking about Browner and Sherman.


    If Suh actually became a Seahawk, I'd name my next born child after him. Which is really saying something because I can neither spell or pronounce Nahdomukhuwong properly.
    Radish, check your PMs. Man upstairs has an invite for a tail gate up in heaven with your name on it.
    User avatar
    CANHawk
    * Gangnameister *
     
    Posts: 11430
    Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 3:29 pm
    Location: PoCompton, BC Canada


  • CANHawk wrote:
    pehawk wrote:
    The Battle #83 wrote:It would be cool to get a player like Suh, but he's a dirty player. Dont think i could root for him


    You sound like fans from 31 other teams speaking about Browner and Sherman.


    If Suh actually became a Seahawk, I'd name my next born child after him. Which is really saying something because I can neither spell or pronounce Nahdomukhuwong properly.


    And, you'd have a hard time conceiving the way you "do it". So, that IS saying something.
    User avatar
    pehawk
    * Report Button *
     
    Posts: 10181
    Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:08 pm


  • pehawk wrote:
    The Battle #83 wrote:It would be cool to get a player like Suh, but he's a dirty player. Dont think i could root for him


    You sound like fans from 31 other teams speaking about Browner and Sherman.


    Oh please, they don't stomp on people or kick people in the nuts like Suh.
    Image
    sig by Ramster
    User avatar
    The Battle #83
    NET Starter
     
    Posts: 318
    Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:42 pm
    Location: Rival Country


  • The Battle #83 wrote:It would be cool to get a player like Suh, but he's a dirty player. Dont think i could root for him

    At this point, Pete bringing in "dirty players" doesn't really worry me anymore. Marshawn, Mike Williams, Bruce Irvin, Braylon Edwards, and TO were all given that label at some point, and none of those guys backfired as far as I can tell. They have either succeeded or were shown the door, but there haven't been any visible issues as far as I can tell, I think...

    If Pete wants to bring in a guy like Suh, or (god forbid) Dockett, more power to him. I'll root for just about any Seahawk.
    Last edited by razgriz737 on Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Tru2RedNGold25 wrote:Us as Niners fan have every right to rep Niners all day everyday when we have the hardware to back it up do can u guys say that???


    2013 Adopt-a-rookie: #humblethug
    2014 Adopt-a-rookie: Kevin Norwood
    User avatar
    razgriz737
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1666
    Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:12 pm
    Location: Spokane/Seattle


  • The Battle #83 wrote:
    pehawk wrote:
    The Battle #83 wrote:It would be cool to get a player like Suh, but he's a dirty player. Dont think i could root for him


    You sound like fans from 31 other teams speaking about Browner and Sherman.


    Oh please, they don't stomp on people or kick people in the nuts like Suh.


    dude. have you SEEN Brandon Browner play corner? He gave Braylon Edwards the jacknife power bomb last year. Just last week he swung Pierre Garcon around by his head.

    BB is a BAD man.
    Radish, check your PMs. Man upstairs has an invite for a tail gate up in heaven with your name on it.
    User avatar
    CANHawk
    * Gangnameister *
     
    Posts: 11430
    Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 3:29 pm
    Location: PoCompton, BC Canada


  • razgriz737 wrote:
    The Battle #83 wrote:It would be cool to get a player like Suh, but he's a dirty player. Dont think i could root for him

    At this point, Pete bringing in "dirty players" doesn't really worry me anymore. Marshawn, Mike Williams, Bruce Irvin, Braylon Edwards, and TO were all given that label at some point, and none of those guys backfired as far as I can tell. They have either succeeded or were shown the door, but there haven't been any visible issues as far as I can tell, I think...

    If Pete wants to bring in a guy like Suh, or (god forbid) Dockett, more power to him. I'll root for just about any Seahawk.


    Never heard of the dirty label given to Braylon or TO. I heard aout character issues, but not dirty players
    Image
    sig by Ramster
    User avatar
    The Battle #83
    NET Starter
     
    Posts: 318
    Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:42 pm
    Location: Rival Country


  • The Battle #83 wrote:
    razgriz737 wrote:
    The Battle #83 wrote:It would be cool to get a player like Suh, but he's a dirty player. Dont think i could root for him

    At this point, Pete bringing in "dirty players" doesn't really worry me anymore. Marshawn, Mike Williams, Bruce Irvin, Braylon Edwards, and TO were all given that label at some point, and none of those guys backfired as far as I can tell. They have either succeeded or were shown the door, but there haven't been any visible issues as far as I can tell, I think...

    If Pete wants to bring in a guy like Suh, or (god forbid) Dockett, more power to him. I'll root for just about any Seahawk.


    Never heard of the dirty label given to Braylon or TO. I heard aout character issues, but not dirty players

    My bad, I just meant "trouble players". Be it on the field issues/off the field issues/locker room cancer type guys, or whatever. I don't really know the exact term. I personally just lump all those guys into one generic category.
    Tru2RedNGold25 wrote:Us as Niners fan have every right to rep Niners all day everyday when we have the hardware to back it up do can u guys say that???


    2013 Adopt-a-rookie: #humblethug
    2014 Adopt-a-rookie: Kevin Norwood
    User avatar
    razgriz737
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1666
    Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:12 pm
    Location: Spokane/Seattle


  • ^^^
    Gotcha. I agree that plers who are deemed as cancers wouldn't be cancers on the team because they would be on a tight leash
    Image
    sig by Ramster
    User avatar
    The Battle #83
    NET Starter
     
    Posts: 318
    Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:42 pm
    Location: Rival Country


  • mikeak wrote:
    IBleedBlueAndGreen wrote:
    IBleedBlueAndGreen wrote:Suh isn't going anywhere this year. His contract included $40 million guaranteed. He still has $19 million of that left to be paid (based on cap number, not what he's actually received). His cap hit for next year jumps from $6.56 to $17.2 million. However if he is traded ALL of that guaranteed money becomes a 2012 cap hit.

    Basically if Detroit keeps him his cap number is $17.2 million.
    If Detroit trades him, his cap number is $19 million and he's not on the team.
    Not going to happen.

    http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/detroit-lions/ndamukong-suh/


    Any money that is labeled as "guaranteed" when a contract is signed means two things: 1. the player will receive that money no matter what happens and 2. as a result that money will ALL have to be accounted for with the salary cap. It would actually make more sense to release Suh if he is not going to be on the team, but they would have to wait until June 1st to do so. For players that are released after June 1st the team can choose to take the cap hit during that year, or can cut it in half and take half of the cap hit the following year (unless something changed with the last CBA that I'm not aware of).


    I still think that if Detroit trades him to Seattle then Seattle pays the guaranteed money and it will NOT count against Detroit cap. It won't count twice the union would never have allowed for that. This is not an issue of cutting Suh it is an issue of trading him.


    After doing some more research it looks like you're correct and I am wrong. I believe that only the "Signing Bonus" is accelerated when a player is traded. Accelerated = counts against the cap immediately. If there is remaining guaranteed money that is an "option bonus" or "roster bonus" as is the case with Ndamukong then the team acquiring him assumes all responsibilities for that money.

    So with that in mind (pay attention here pehawk, you're going to like this) the Hawks could trade for Suh and it would count almost nothing against the cap for the Lions in 2013. The problem is the Hawks would then be responsible for the $19 million guaranteed in his contract. His current cap number for next season is more than $17 million so the only way I could see this happening is if Suh we're willing to re-do his deal with the Hawks upon arriving.
    Image

    "There is no delay of game. We did not let the team know we were scratching our balls"
    User avatar
    IBleedBlueAndGreen
    * NET Injury Guru *
     
    Posts: 1608
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:56 am
    Location: Poulsbo, WA


  • Jazzhawk wrote:I think Suh would excel here...and be kept in check with his attitude as well.


    I live in Michigan now and get to see a healthy dose of Suh and that guy is a cancer. I don't want him in a Hawks jersey.
    User avatar
    SeaWolv
    NET Starter
     
    Posts: 360
    Joined: Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:31 am


  • cancer can be cured

    and on the signing bonus. I actually think this can be taken on by the team that receives the player as well. This was a big issue when Tebow went from Jets to Denver who would pay the part of the signing bonus for this year. I think whoever picks up the check for that portion gets it against the cap. Now if you cut a player different animal
    mikeak
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3486
    Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:24 pm
    Location: Anchorage, AK


  • CANHawk wrote:dude. have you SEEN Brandon Browner play corner? He gave Braylon Edwards the jacknife power bomb last year. Just last week he swung Pierre Garcon around by his head.

    BB is a BAD man.


    In the legendary word's of John E. Madden "That's [just] good Football"
    Image
    sig by Ramster
    User avatar
    The Battle #83
    NET Starter
     
    Posts: 318
    Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:42 pm
    Location: Rival Country


  • SeaWolv wrote:I live in Michigan now and get to see a healthy dose of Suh and that guy is a cancer. I don't want him in a Hawks jersey.


    I've read a lot of stuff about the Lions being unhappy with Suh, apparently he has a very bad attitude, doesn't practice, doesn't get along with other players, etc. Would be very skeptical of Suh.

    And I don't agree with the comparisons to BB and Sherm. Watch an episode of Real Rob Report. You can see that our entire secondary is very close, and that they hold themselves to a very high standard.

    From what I've read and heard about Suh, this is not at all how he is. And it's hard to believe that it's all just false rumors. There is an overwhelming amount of noise out of Detroit that Suh is just a bad teammate, has a bad attitude, a quitter, etc. I've read multiple reports from multiple sources saying the Lions want to release/trade Suh ASAP. If he had potential consistent with the hype, that would not be the case.
    User avatar
    HansGruber
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2247
    Joined: Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:39 pm


  • HansGruber wrote:
    SeaWolv wrote:I live in Michigan now and get to see a healthy dose of Suh and that guy is a cancer. I don't want him in a Hawks jersey.


    I've read a lot of stuff about the Lions being unhappy with Suh, apparently he has a very bad attitude, doesn't practice, doesn't get along with other players, etc. Would be very skeptical of Suh.

    And I don't agree with the comparisons to BB and Sherm. Watch an episode of Real Rob Report. You can see that our entire secondary is very close, and that they hold themselves to a very high standard.

    From what I've read and heard about Suh, this is not at all how he is. And it's hard to believe that it's all just false rumors. There is an overwhelming amount of noise out of Detroit that Suh is just a bad teammate, has a bad attitude, a quitter, etc. I've read multiple reports from multiple sources saying the Lions want to release/trade Suh ASAP. If he had potential consistent with the hype, that would not be the case.

    Just think how you would act if forced to spend 6 months a year in Detroit.

    I would take Suh in a second. Reggie friggin White part two.
    SEAHAWKS.NET. We All We Got, We All We Need
    User avatar
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
    *Scott of Smacksville*
     
    Posts: 11227
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:14 am


  • Again, we kinda heard this about Charles Woodson too. In fact, worse really.

    Nurture not nature.

    Hans is right, there is quite a bit of public pining for Suh to be exiled from 8 mile.
    User avatar
    pehawk
    * Report Button *
     
    Posts: 10181
    Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:08 pm


  • Scottemojo wrote:Just think how you would act if forced to spend 6 months a year in Detroit.

    I would take Suh in a second. Reggie friggin White part two.


    There is no similarity at all between Suh and White.

    Reggie White was absolutely dominant on the field. I'll never forget watching him being triple-teamed against NE in the SuperBowl and still getting all those sacks. NE literally had their LG, LT and a TE all trying to stop Reggie White, and he was using the LT as a battering ram against the QB. Literally pushed the LT up off his feet and ran him backwards at the QB. The whole time, the LG and TE were both leaning into the LT's back or trying to take out White's legs. That happened on multiple downs. Never seen anything like that in my life and I'll never forget it. That doesn't even begin to describe White's dominance. I'm not the only one who thinks he was the best ever:
    http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/st ... ock/041230

    He was also known as the Minister of Defense. Not just because he was a field general, but he was also a highly religious man. All his teammates said he was the ultimate team guy and a really caring person, that he reached out to rookies and tried to help people.

    Suh has none of those qualities. In fact, he's one of the most overrated pass rushers in football. Known to take plays off, known for his bad attitude, pouts during games, fights with teammates, etc. He has never had the impact in an NFL game that Reggie White did. Name one game where Suh was the difference, where he stripped a QB and ran 70 yards for a TD or anything like that. In fact, Suh has fallen off the map.

    Suh had 8 sacks this season, and 4 sacks in 2011.

    Reggie White's lowest number of sacks in a season was 8, and he only did that once in 1994. Every single year other than that, he had well over 10, he generally had 12-15 and peaked at 21 in 1987. Reggie White was an unstoppable monster. That dude destroyed offenses by himself. And in fact, it's a huge shame that Brett Favre has gotten the credit for Green Bay's Super Bowl win when that honor should go to Reggie White.
    User avatar
    HansGruber
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2247
    Joined: Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:39 pm


  • HAHA can you even imagine what this teams attitude would be like if they had Suh on the D-Line!?

    We think our team has swag now. if Suh caught that attitude while on this team, the smell of soiled underpants would permeate the league.

    "Well, we can't run it because Suh is likely to kill our HB. We can't throw it because Kam or Browner have anger problems.... guess we just... hm..."

    Pete has a great way of bringing in troubled athletes, making them comfortable and letting them produce. It's already been mentioned, but Lynch and Irvin come to mind.

    It's a go if Detroit doesn't want him anymore.
    User avatar
    O-LineFan
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 101
    Joined: Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:05 pm


  • I would rather the Hawks draft a 3rd-4th rounder that they have been eyeing, somewhere in there.

    As this team moves along, it is going to get difficult for players to make it out of College. If Clemons can get healthy, he needs to be back, Irvin will get better too.

    We have Jones to think about and maybe that spot can get back filled with a stud DL player.
    "The life you lose may be your own" - Drunk dude at the bar
    User avatar
    loafoftatupu
    I'M JIMMY!
     
    Posts: 5885
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:17 pm
    Location: Auburn, WA


  • For 22 sacks in three years from a DT and the ability to singlehandedly turn Bruce Irvin into Aldon Smith, you pay money. Suh instantly puts this defense in 2000 Ravens territory.

    Only problem is convincing Detroit to put him on the market.
    GO HAWKS!!!

    Visit my Seahawks blog at 17power.blogspot.com!

    Follow me on Twitter at @17power
    User avatar
    MontanaHawk05
    * 17Power Blogger *
     
    Posts: 11314
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 8:46 am


  • MontanaHawk05 wrote:Only problem is convincing Detroit to put him on the market.


    Hans wasn't joking.

    There's some pressure in Detroit to do just that. The GM could conceivably buy himself a year or so to "rebuild" again IF he dealt Suh. It's not as black and white (sorry for the racism...some of my best friends are Lions) as we'd think.
    User avatar
    pehawk
    * Report Button *
     
    Posts: 10181
    Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:08 pm


  • As for the attitude... How happy would you be if you had to live in detroit 8 months of the year and have to play for Jim Schwartz?! That guy is a spastic ass clown.
    Radish, check your PMs. Man upstairs has an invite for a tail gate up in heaven with your name on it.
    User avatar
    CANHawk
    * Gangnameister *
     
    Posts: 11430
    Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 3:29 pm
    Location: PoCompton, BC Canada


Next


It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:22 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]




Information
  • Who is online