What would it cost to bring Suh home?

The Essential Online Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. RATING: PG-13
What would it cost to bring Suh home?
Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:50 am
  • I'm wondering what it would cost to bring Suh Seattle?

At least on this board, it appears that Suh's always wanted to play here. Detroit has some serious cap decisions looming. And, maybe there's a chacne Detoit could be talked into it given the aforementioned AND grumblings about the locker room culture there.

Or, just tell me to die already for a stupid post. I'm trying to focus on anything but yesterdays result.
    pehawk
    * Report Button *

• We may have a better chance at Averill.
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

• Did you know that your initials are "Rad!"?
    "God Bless the Seattle Seahawks" Cortez Kennedy
    ivotuk
    * NET Nobody *

• That would be sweet. An absolute must position filled with a proven player!
    djb28
    NET Veteran

• I dont really want Avril.

I want to see him produce w/o Suh before I'm entirely sold. Avril had 9 sacks last year, but that's only 2 more sacks I could've got with Fairley and Suh working inside.
    pehawk
    * Report Button *

• Why would Detroit allow Suh to go?
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

• pehawk wrote:I dont really want Avril.

I want to see him produce w/o Suh before I'm entirely sold. Avril had 9 sacks last year, but that's only 2 more sacks I could've got with Fairley and Suh working inside.

No shit. Let's remember how good Suh made Jared Crick look.
    KARAVARUS
    NET Veteran

• I think Suh would excel here...and be kept in check with his attitude as well.
    Jazzhawk
    * NET News Scoop *
    * NET News Scoop *

• Largent80 wrote:Why would Detroit allow Suh to go?

Detroit has issues with his attitude.
    He is expensive.
    Bobblehead
    NET Rookie

Cap room, potential cost, bad image. Many reasons.
    Rzzzzz...
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *

I wont say this isn't farfetched, it is. But, Detroit has some BIG decisions to make the next 2 years. They very well could be looking at a scenario where Suh walks for nothing. Or, another peice does.

I just dont know the cost? A 3rd and Mebane?
    pehawk
    * Report Button *

• Don't see this happening, unless his contract is up or Seattle is willing to throw a lot at Detroit to get him. It'd be cool, but right now it's just a fantasy. Time will tell, but I'm not even going to ponder holding my breath.

Go Hawks.
    SouthSoundHawk
    NET Veteran

• SouthSoundHawk wrote:Don't see this happening, unless his contract is up or Seattle is willing to throw a lot at Detroit to get him. It'd be cool, but right now it's just a fantasy. Time will tell, but I'm not even going to ponder holding my breath.

Oh, okay.

I didn't know we weren't allowed to hypothosize or ask questions like "what would it cost?". I really do apologize. The last thing I or anyone else wants is you holding your breath. I mean, if you did, you'd die and we wouldn't be honored by your pearls of wisdom. I for one would be really sad over that.
    Last edited by pehawk on Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
    pehawk
    * Report Button *

• Would Suh

A) Work on his attitude and penalties?

B) Take a paycut (he's already restructured his contract once)?

C) Buy into Pete's philosophy?

If yes to all 3, get him.
    Super Bowl Champions XVLIII
    Sarlacc83
    * NET Philistine *

• Sarlacc83 wrote:Would Suh

A) Work on his attitude and penalties?

B) Take a paycut (he's already restructured his contract once)?

C) Buy into Pete's philosophy?

If yes to all 3, get him.

I'm a big believer that attitude issue players manifest from nurture, not nature. Bring him home, where he wants to be, and I'd bet everything changes.

Reminds me of a Charles Woodson in Oakland type scenario.
    pehawk
    * Report Button *

• Suh isn't going anywhere this year. His contract included $40 million guaranteed. He still has $19 million of that left to be paid (based on cap number, not what he's actually received). His cap hit for next year jumps from $6.56 to $17.2 million. However if he is traded ALL of that guaranteed money becomes a 2012 cap hit.

Basically if Detroit keeps him his cap number is $17.2 million.
    If Detroit trades him, his cap number is $19 million and he's not on the team.
    Not going to happen.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/detroit-lions/ndamukong-suh/

"There is no delay of game. We did not let the team know we were scratching our balls"
    IBleedBlueAndGreen
    * NET Injury Guru *

• IBleedBlueAndGreen wrote:Suh isn't going anywhere this year. His contract included $40 million guaranteed. He still has $19 million of that left to be paid (based on cap number, not what he's actually received). His cap hit for next year jumps from $6.56 to $17.2 million. However if he is traded ALL of that guaranteed money becomes a 2012 cap hit.

Not going to happen.

DAMN YOU BLUEANDGREEN!
    pehawk
    * Report Button *

• pehawk wrote:
    IBleedBlueAndGreen wrote:Suh isn't going anywhere this year. His contract included $40 million guaranteed. He still has $19 million of that left to be paid (based on cap number, not what he's actually received). His cap hit for next year jumps from $6.56 to $17.2 million. However if he is traded ALL of that guaranteed money becomes a 2012 cap hit.

Not going to happen.

DAMN YOU BLUEANDGREEN!

Sorry, my bad.

"There is no delay of game. We did not let the team know we were scratching our balls"
    IBleedBlueAndGreen
    * NET Injury Guru *

• I don't think it is in PS/JC to pay for anything but a low-profile, younger diamond in the rough. They have enough contracts coming up on the current roster.

Edit: I also think they will settle for letting Jones get healthy, hoping Clemons gets healthy, bulking Irvin up, and adding depth with a 3rd-ish round draft pick.
    jdblack
    NET Starter

• Okay, well Mr Buzzkill BlueandGreen explained why this will not happen. But, what would the cap ramifications be if Paul Allen just bought Ford? Huh, Mr Smartguy? What then?
    pehawk
    * Report Button *

• pehawk wrote:Okay, well Mr Buzzkill BlueandGreen explained why this will not happen. But, what would the cap ramifications be if Paul Allen just bought Ford? Huh, Mr Smartguy? What then?

I like the way you think.

But I guess we'll just have to hold out hope that Schneider does his Schneider-type things and gets us a guy who plays at 98% of Suh's level in the 5th round next draft.

Super Bowl XLVIII Champions
    volsunghawk
    NET Veteran

• Damn cap and Detroits dumbass contract.
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

• IBleedBlueAndGreen wrote:Suh isn't going anywhere this year. His contract included $40 million guaranteed. He still has $19 million of that left to be paid (based on cap number, not what he's actually received). His cap hit for next year jumps from $6.56 to $17.2 million. However if he is traded ALL of that guaranteed money becomes a 2012 cap hit.

Not going to happen.

Please educate me one bit further as I don't understand this. Isn't the cap hit only if they cut him? If Seahaws trades for him they would pay the $19 million and it would go off the Detroit books. He didn't get a signing bonus so it isn't like money is split over the years and needs to be picked up as well.......

With that said this front office doesn't want to spend big and use all the cap space on one player - draft well build that way is how everything to this point have been made

Curious do you trade Browner straight up (what a cap relief) and hope to pick up another 5th rounder......
    mikeak
    NET Veteran

• jdblack wrote:I don't think it is in PS/JC to pay for anything but a low-profile, younger diamond in the rough. They have enough contracts coming up on the current roster.

Edit: I also think they will settle for letting Jones get healthy, hoping Clemons gets healthy, bulking Irvin up, and adding depth with a 3rd-ish round draft pick.

Wow would that be the worst.
    BAllenHawk
    NET Rookie

• pehawk wrote:
    SouthSoundHawk wrote:Don't see this happening, unless his contract is up or Seattle is willing to throw a lot at Detroit to get him. It'd be cool, but right now it's just a fantasy. Time will tell, but I'm not even going to ponder holding my breath.

Oh, okay.

I didn't know we weren't allowed to hypothosize or ask questions like "what would it cost?". I really do apologize. The last thing I or anyone else wants is you holding your breath. I mean, if you did, you'd die and we wouldn't be honored by your pearls of wisdom. I for one would be really sad over that.

Wake up on the wrong side of the bed this morning did ya? Didn't get the memo telling me I'm not allowed to answer the question at hand, or to express an opinion.

Let me go check that inbox for the memo my liege.

Go Hawks.
    SouthSoundHawk
    NET Veteran

• OMG Suh would totally be the missing piece of the puzzle in this system. He's a moster up the middle and he's big enough to stuff the run so he can play every down. AND he'd want to play here! no... I'm not going to get my hopes up but, damn....

Rotoworld says Suh is signed through 2015 and making $11.55/yr. That's some big cheddar and Detroit has a lot of big contracts to pay; Megatron's not one of them (not in 2013 anyway), his contract kicks into overdrive in 2015, he's only getting $5m next 2 years. Stafford's kicks into the big money in 2013 though (he kicks up to $12m). Burlson's due to make 4.5 next year. Chris Avril and Justin Durant are UFA's. Nick Fairley isn't set to be a UFA until 2015.

It sounds like they aren't really happy with Suh's 'tude (I for one LIKE a DT whos a big mean basterd that will stomp on a dude's nuts, but different strokes I guess) so he may very well be the cap casualty they jettison to pay some of the other guys. Looks like they have the room to keep him if they decide they want to keep him, but they could just as well punt him and go another direction. He'd likely be picked off waivers before we could ever get a chance to take on his salary so it's likely a moot point, but we do have the cap room....
    So you're admitting I'm a celeb...
    CANHawk
    * Gangnameister *

• suh will cost a fortune. no thanks.
    GeorgeKush
    NET Rookie

• CANHawk wrote:OMG Suh would totally be the missing piece of the puzzle in this system. He's a moster up the middle and he's big enough to stuff the run so he can play every down. AND he'd want to play here! no... I'm not going to get my hopes up but, damn....

Rotoworld says Suh is signed through 2015 and making $11.55/yr. That's some big cheddar and Detroit has a lot of big contracts to pay; Megatron's not one of them (not in 2013 anyway), his contract kicks into overdrive in 2015, he's only getting $5m next 2 years. Stafford's kicks into the big money in 2013 though (he kicks up to $12m). Burlson's due to make 4.5 next year. Chris Avril and Justin Durant are UFA's. Nick Fairley isn't set to be a UFA until 2015.

It sounds like they aren't really happy with Suh's 'tude (I for one LIKE a DT whos a big mean basterd that will stomp on a dude's nuts, but different strokes I guess) so he may very well be the cap casualty they jettison to pay some of the other guys. Looks like they have the room to keep him if they decide they want to keep him, but they could just as well punt him and go another direction. He'd likely be picked off waivers before we could ever get a chance to take on his salary so it's likely a moot point, but we do have the cap room....

From your fingers to your shitty Prime Ministers ears my friend.

In the midst of all of us fluffing each other over this teams potential, we're forgetting this is still Seattle. Seattle, a market where its always difficult to attract FA's. Anytime there's a chance to get a guy who actually PREFERS repping the 206, you do it, IMO.

Burleson should still be here, IMO, because of that.
    pehawk
    * Report Button *

Re: What would it cost to bring Suh home?
Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:03 am
  • I agree. My Prime Minister IS kinda shitty. But don't blame me... I voted for Kodos.
    CANHawk
    * Gangnameister *

Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:09 am
  • Sometimes teams are willing to spend money to get rid of a player if they think the relationship is beyond repair. See SEattle and TJ Housmandzadah.

Personally I would trade our entire draft for Suh. Seriuosly. (well maybe i'd keep one 3rd or 5th round pick... because we know what Pete and John do with those)

With Suh we would have the meanest, most violent, most physical defense in the league and he would make every single player on our D that much better.

I honestly do think that Suh will be a Seahawk someday. It just seems like an inevitablity with him being from the NW, and his mentality and our mentality. Unfortunatly I dont think it will be this offseason.
    JSeahawks
    * NET Moderator *

Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:17 am
  • I would rather look for waiver wire practice squad talent, draft picks, and UDFA first. I think Melton or Starks could be targets for Schneider especially Starks based on how he manhandled San Fran and our O-line plus he would be cheaper. Hell I'd rather pick up Hunt in the draft and re-sign Jones and Branch then make that deal for Suh.

Damn I wish we were playing next week! :(
    NFL, all your Owlz are belong to us!
    12th_Bob
    NET Veteran

Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:22 am
  • too much for one position...have to leverage everyone else...sherman and wilson coming out in back to back years??

think revis $$ and maybe Matt Ryan $$ (comparison on qb levels after manning brady, average of mid-top qb's)
    zayden185
    NET Veteran

Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:32 am
  • Suh would be a huge fix. Like getting nuclear bullets to shore up that pesky immigrant/border problem.
    But, I don't see him being available until the last year of his deal at the earliest. And he would have to be a free agent to come here, because I suspect that teams with higher draft picks and even more cap than us would give the Lions better offers. But if he ever hits free agency, I will be on blast thinking we will get him. In the right hands, he could be Reggie White. I would line him up at DE, DT, all over the dam place just to see QBs sweat.
    SEAHAWKS.NET. We All We Got, We All We Need
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
    *Scott of Smacksville*

Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:41 am
  • 12th_Bob wrote:...... I think Melton or Starks could be targets for Schneider especially Starks based on how he manhandled San Fran and our O-line plus he would be cheaper.......

Anyone have an educated guess as to how much cheaper Starks would be? Would it be doable considering the contracts looming for the Hawks?
    Last edited by hawksfansinceday1 on Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
    From the white sands
    To the canyon lands
    To the redwood stands
    To the barren lands

hawksfansinceday1
    NET Pro Bowler

Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:41 am
  • Too much baggage!
    #NEXTMANUP
    Evil_Shenanigans
    NET Veteran

Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:58 am
  • don't we have like 10 draft picks this year spread throughout all the rounds?
    pull a falcons and do what you got to get him. we are probably that ONE piece away from going just as far.
    if that game would have ended the way the panthers game did it would have been due to a pass rush.
    We are the 2014 Superbowl champions and it can never, ever be taken away.
    Greatest defense in NFL history.
    Seeker
    NET Veteran

• mikeak wrote:
    IBleedBlueAndGreen wrote:Suh isn't going anywhere this year. His contract included $40 million guaranteed. He still has $19 million of that left to be paid (based on cap number, not what he's actually received). His cap hit for next year jumps from $6.56 to $17.2 million. However if he is traded ALL of that guaranteed money becomes a 2012 cap hit.

Not going to happen.

Please educate me one bit further as I don't understand this. Isn't the cap hit only if they cut him? If Seahaws trades for him they would pay the $19 million and it would go off the Detroit books. He didn't get a signing bonus so it isn't like money is split over the years and needs to be picked up as well.......

With that said this front office doesn't want to spend big and use all the cap space on one player - draft well build that way is how everything to this point have been made

Curious do you trade Browner straight up (what a cap relief) and hope to pick up another 5th rounder......

Any money that is labeled as "guaranteed" when a contract is signed means two things: 1. the player will receive that money no matter what happens and 2. as a result that money will ALL have to be accounted for with the salary cap. It would actually make more sense to release Suh if he is not going to be on the team, but they would have to wait until June 1st to do so. For players that are released after June 1st the team can choose to take the cap hit during that year, or can cut it in half and take half of the cap hit the following year (unless something changed with the last CBA that I'm not aware of).

They are not trading Browner. His cap number for next year is $550K. That is peanuts.

IBleedBlueAndGreen
    * NET Injury Guru *

• Suh is the guy on another team that I want the most on the Hawks. If somehow they got him, he'd instantly be one of my favorite players on the team. I absolutely love what he brings to the table and think he'd have a sensational career in Seattle. I don't know if it'd ever happen, but I'd absolutely love it if it did. I wonder what it'd take to get this done.
    Talkin Seahawks All Day, All Night @ my blog Seafense! http://seafense.blogspot.com/
    NYCoug
    NET Veteran

• Largent80 wrote:Damn cap and Detroits dumbass contract.

Curse the old CBA that made the Lions have no choice to give him that contract.

It's the same reason Aaron Curry got $60M with $34M guaranteed
    February 2, 2014... the day the dream was finally realized
    Hasselbeck
    * NET Sage *

• Hasselbeck wrote:
    Largent80 wrote:Damn cap and Detroits dumbass contract.

Curse the old CBA that made the Lions have no choice to give him that contract.

It's the same reason Aaron Curry got $60M with $34M guaranteed

I remember how many of us were hoping that either McCoy or Suh would fall in that draft, too. Screw you Ruskell, while we're at it.
    Sarlacc83
    * NET Philistine *

• IBleedBlueAndGreen wrote:
    mikeak wrote:

Not going to happen.

Any money that is labeled as "guaranteed" when a contract is signed means two things: 1. the player will receive that money no matter what happens and 2. as a result that money will ALL have to be accounted for with the salary cap. It would actually make more sense to release Suh if he is not going to be on the team, but they would have to wait until June 1st to do so. For players that are released after June 1st the team can choose to take the cap hit during that year, or can cut it in half and take half of the cap hit the following year (unless something changed with the last CBA that I'm not aware of).

They are not trading Browner. His cap number for next year is $550K. That is peanuts.

I still think that if Detroit trades him to Seattle then Seattle pays the guaranteed money and it will NOT count against Detroit cap. It won't count twice the union would never have allowed for that. This is not an issue of cutting Suh it is an issue of trading him.
    mikeak
    NET Veteran

• I'd give up our 1st and 2nd plus next years 2nd. I think we could get a 3rd for Flynn. If our #1 and #2 needs are Pass rush DT and another DE. and we drafted them 1st and 2nd round I doubt they would have nearly the same impact Suh would have.

With a 3rd, 4th, 2x 5th, 6th 2x 7th, and mabye another 3rd from Flynn we can still get soem depth at TE, WR, LB, OL, and DL. With 18Mil in cap room this year why not bring him in and pay him big money up front.

Why did you even bring this up now all I can think about is how incredible our defense would be with a monster like Suh.
    Wenhawk
    NET Veteran

• Draft the next Suh in the first or second round of this year's draft. Better and cheaper.
    World Champion Seattle Seahawks football. It's an addiction, and there is no cure.
    Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *

• Seahawk Sailor wrote:Draft the next Suh in the first or second round of this year's draft. Better and cheaper.

Is it really? WTH are we waiting for then!

Guys like Suh, and his dad Cortez Kennedy, come out once a decade or so.
    pehawk
    * Report Button *

• Seahawk Sailor wrote:Draft the next Suh in the first or second round of this year's draft. Better and cheaper.

Yeah, Sailor, you know that's not going to happen. There's no way GMs would pass on a player with Suh's measurables for nearly two rounds. No way. (And don't bring up Russell Wilson because he's the exception.)
    Sarlacc83
    * NET Philistine *

Satire? :) Guys with physical talent like Suh's would never escape the top 5 picks. And seriously, this is the worst draft for DT I've seen in years. DE isn't a whole lot better, unfortunately.

I do see the next Zach Miller and Roddy White reaching our #25 pick though. Great year to pick late, just not for DL.
    kearly
    * Mr Random Thought *

• I'd REALLY like to get resolution on the cap ramifications, for each side.

We've had a few birdies inform us that Suh's a quiet cat off the field. A homebody who WANTS to play for Seattle. It's a huge need for Seattle. Detroit has lots of problems aside from just concnerns over Suh. AND, they invested a high draft pick to their defensive interior just two years ago. For all that, it makes sense.

C'mon, we can will this to happen, right folks? Anyone have a copy of "The Secret" lying around?
    pehawk
    * Report Button *

• It would be cool to get a player like Suh, but he's a dirty player. Dont think i could root for him
    sig by Ramster
    The Battle #83
    NET Rookie

• The Battle #83 wrote:It would be cool to get a player like Suh, but he's a dirty player. Dont think i could root for him

You sound like fans from 31 other teams speaking about Browner and Sherman.
    pehawk
    * Report Button *

• pehawk wrote:
    The Battle #83 wrote:It would be cool to get a player like Suh, but he's a dirty player. Dont think i could root for him

You sound like fans from 31 other teams speaking about Browner and Sherman.

If Suh actually became a Seahawk, I'd name my next born child after him. Which is really saying something because I can neither spell or pronounce Nahdomukhuwong properly.
    CANHawk
    * Gangnameister *

Next

It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:34 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information