Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ    Contact Us  Your donations are greatly appreciated! Donate  Chat Room

Board index » SEAHAWKS.NET - THE VOICE OF THE 12TH MAN » [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Post subject: Re: What would it cost to bring Suh home?
 Post Posted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:02 pm 
* Report Button *

CANHawk wrote:
pehawk wrote:
The Battle #83 wrote:
It would be cool to get a player like Suh, but he's a dirty player. Dont think i could root for him

You sound like fans from 31 other teams speaking about Browner and Sherman.

If Suh actually became a Seahawk, I'd name my next born child after him. Which is really saying something because I can neither spell or pronounce Nahdomukhuwong properly.

And, you'd have a hard time conceiving the way you "do it". So, that IS saying something.

Post Posted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:02 pm 
NET Rookie

pehawk wrote:
The Battle #83 wrote:
It would be cool to get a player like Suh, but he's a dirty player. Dont think i could root for him

Oh please, they don't stomp on people or kick people in the nuts like Suh.

Post Posted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:04 pm 
NET Veteran

The Battle #83 wrote:

At this point, Pete bringing in "dirty players" doesn't really worry me anymore. Marshawn, Mike Williams, Bruce Irvin, Braylon Edwards, and TO were all given that label at some point, and none of those guys backfired as far as I can tell. They have either succeeded or were shown the door, but there haven't been any visible issues as far as I can tell, I think...

If Pete wants to bring in a guy like Suh, or (god forbid) Dockett, more power to him. I'll root for just about any Seahawk.

Last edited by razgriz737 on Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:04 pm 
* Gangnameister *

The Battle #83 wrote:
pehawk wrote:
The Battle #83 wrote:

Oh please, they don't stomp on people or kick people in the nuts like Suh.

dude. have you SEEN Brandon Browner play corner? He gave Braylon Edwards the jacknife power bomb last year. Just last week he swung Pierre Garcon around by his head.

BB is a BAD man.

Post Posted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:08 pm 
NET Rookie

razgriz737 wrote:
The Battle #83 wrote:

At this point, Pete bringing in "dirty players" doesn't really worry me anymore. Marshawn, Mike Williams, Bruce Irvin, Braylon Edwards, and TO were all given that label at some point, and none of those guys backfired as far as I can tell. They have either succeeded or were shown the door, but there haven't been any visible issues as far as I can tell, I think...

If Pete wants to bring in a guy like Suh, or (god forbid) Dockett, more power to him. I'll root for just about any Seahawk.

Never heard of the dirty label given to Braylon or TO. I heard aout character issues, but not dirty players

Post Posted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:10 pm 
NET Veteran

The Battle #83 wrote:
razgriz737 wrote:
The Battle #83 wrote:

Never heard of the dirty label given to Braylon or TO. I heard aout character issues, but not dirty players

My bad, I just meant "trouble players". Be it on the field issues/off the field issues/locker room cancer type guys, or whatever. I don't really know the exact term. I personally just lump all those guys into one generic category.

Post Posted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:15 pm 
NET Rookie

^^^
Gotcha. I agree that plers who are deemed as cancers wouldn't be cancers on the team because they would be on a tight leash

Post Posted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:22 pm 
* NET Injury Guru *

mikeak wrote:
IBleedBlueAndGreen wrote:
IBleedBlueAndGreen wrote:
Suh isn't going anywhere this year. His contract included $40 million guaranteed. He still has $19 million of that left to be paid (based on cap number, not what he's actually received). His cap hit for next year jumps from $6.56 to $17.2 million. However if he is traded ALL of that guaranteed money becomes a 2012 cap hit.

Basically if Detroit keeps him his cap number is $17.2 million.
If Detroit trades him, his cap number is $19 million and he's not on the team.
Not going to happen.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/detroit-lions/ndamukong-suh/

Any money that is labeled as "guaranteed" when a contract is signed means two things: 1. the player will receive that money no matter what happens and 2. as a result that money will ALL have to be accounted for with the salary cap. It would actually make more sense to release Suh if he is not going to be on the team, but they would have to wait until June 1st to do so. For players that are released after June 1st the team can choose to take the cap hit during that year, or can cut it in half and take half of the cap hit the following year (unless something changed with the last CBA that I'm not aware of).

I still think that if Detroit trades him to Seattle then Seattle pays the guaranteed money and it will NOT count against Detroit cap. It won't count twice the union would never have allowed for that. This is not an issue of cutting Suh it is an issue of trading him.

After doing some more research it looks like you're correct and I am wrong. I believe that only the "Signing Bonus" is accelerated when a player is traded. Accelerated = counts against the cap immediately. If there is remaining guaranteed money that is an "option bonus" or "roster bonus" as is the case with Ndamukong then the team acquiring him assumes all responsibilities for that money.

So with that in mind (pay attention here pehawk, you're going to like this) the Hawks could trade for Suh and it would count almost nothing against the cap for the Lions in 2013. The problem is the Hawks would then be responsible for the $19 million guaranteed in his contract. His current cap number for next season is more than $17 million so the only way I could see this happening is if Suh we're willing to re-do his deal with the Hawks upon arriving.

"There is no delay of game. We did not let the team know we were scratching our balls"

Post Posted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:37 pm 
NET Starter

Jazzhawk wrote:
I think Suh would excel here...and be kept in check with his attitude as well.

I live in Michigan now and get to see a healthy dose of Suh and that guy is a cancer. I don't want him in a Hawks jersey.

Post Posted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:45 pm 
NET Veteran

cancer can be cured

and on the signing bonus. I actually think this can be taken on by the team that receives the player as well. This was a big issue when Tebow went from Jets to Denver who would pay the part of the signing bonus for this year. I think whoever picks up the check for that portion gets it against the cap. Now if you cut a player different animal

Post Posted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:47 pm 
NET Rookie

CANHawk wrote:
dude. have you SEEN Brandon Browner play corner? He gave Braylon Edwards the jacknife power bomb last year. Just last week he swung Pierre Garcon around by his head.

BB is a BAD man.

In the legendary word's of John E. Madden "That's [just] good Football"

Post Posted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:56 pm 
NET Veteran

SeaWolv wrote:
I live in Michigan now and get to see a healthy dose of Suh and that guy is a cancer. I don't want him in a Hawks jersey.

I've read a lot of stuff about the Lions being unhappy with Suh, apparently he has a very bad attitude, doesn't practice, doesn't get along with other players, etc. Would be very skeptical of Suh.

And I don't agree with the comparisons to BB and Sherm. Watch an episode of Real Rob Report. You can see that our entire secondary is very close, and that they hold themselves to a very high standard.

From what I've read and heard about Suh, this is not at all how he is. And it's hard to believe that it's all just false rumors. There is an overwhelming amount of noise out of Detroit that Suh is just a bad teammate, has a bad attitude, a quitter, etc. I've read multiple reports from multiple sources saying the Lions want to release/trade Suh ASAP. If he had potential consistent with the hype, that would not be the case.

Post Posted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:58 pm 
*Scott of Smacksville*
*Scott of Smacksville*

HansGruber wrote:
SeaWolv wrote:

I've read a lot of stuff about the Lions being unhappy with Suh, apparently he has a very bad attitude, doesn't practice, doesn't get along with other players, etc. Would be very skeptical of Suh.

And I don't agree with the comparisons to BB and Sherm. Watch an episode of Real Rob Report. You can see that our entire secondary is very close, and that they hold themselves to a very high standard.

From what I've read and heard about Suh, this is not at all how he is. And it's hard to believe that it's all just false rumors. There is an overwhelming amount of noise out of Detroit that Suh is just a bad teammate, has a bad attitude, a quitter, etc. I've read multiple reports from multiple sources saying the Lions want to release/trade Suh ASAP. If he had potential consistent with the hype, that would not be the case.

Just think how you would act if forced to spend 6 months a year in Detroit.

I would take Suh in a second. Reggie friggin White part two.

Post Posted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:01 pm 
* Report Button *

Again, we kinda heard this about Charles Woodson too. In fact, worse really.

Nurture not nature.

Hans is right, there is quite a bit of public pining for Suh to be exiled from 8 mile.

Post Posted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:35 pm 
NET Veteran

Scottemojo wrote:
Just think how you would act if forced to spend 6 months a year in Detroit.

I would take Suh in a second. Reggie friggin White part two.

There is no similarity at all between Suh and White.

Reggie White was absolutely dominant on the field. I'll never forget watching him being triple-teamed against NE in the SuperBowl and still getting all those sacks. NE literally had their LG, LT and a TE all trying to stop Reggie White, and he was using the LT as a battering ram against the QB. Literally pushed the LT up off his feet and ran him backwards at the QB. The whole time, the LG and TE were both leaning into the LT's back or trying to take out White's legs. That happened on multiple downs. Never seen anything like that in my life and I'll never forget it. That doesn't even begin to describe White's dominance. I'm not the only one who thinks he was the best ever:
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/st ... ock/041230

He was also known as the Minister of Defense. Not just because he was a field general, but he was also a highly religious man. All his teammates said he was the ultimate team guy and a really caring person, that he reached out to rookies and tried to help people.

Suh has none of those qualities. In fact, he's one of the most overrated pass rushers in football. Known to take plays off, known for his bad attitude, pouts during games, fights with teammates, etc. He has never had the impact in an NFL game that Reggie White did. Name one game where Suh was the difference, where he stripped a QB and ran 70 yards for a TD or anything like that. In fact, Suh has fallen off the map.

Suh had 8 sacks this season, and 4 sacks in 2011.

Reggie White's lowest number of sacks in a season was 8, and he only did that once in 1994. Every single year other than that, he had well over 10, he generally had 12-15 and peaked at 21 in 1987. Reggie White was an unstoppable monster. That dude destroyed offenses by himself. And in fact, it's a huge shame that Brett Favre has gotten the credit for Green Bay's Super Bowl win when that honor should go to Reggie White.

Post Posted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:43 pm 
NET Rookie

HAHA can you even imagine what this teams attitude would be like if they had Suh on the D-Line!?

We think our team has swag now. if Suh caught that attitude while on this team, the smell of soiled underpants would permeate the league.

"Well, we can't run it because Suh is likely to kill our HB. We can't throw it because Kam or Browner have anger problems.... guess we just... hm..."

Pete has a great way of bringing in troubled athletes, making them comfortable and letting them produce. It's already been mentioned, but Lynch and Irvin come to mind.

It's a go if Detroit doesn't want him anymore.

Post Posted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:34 pm 
I'M JIMMY!

I would rather the Hawks draft a 3rd-4th rounder that they have been eyeing, somewhere in there.

As this team moves along, it is going to get difficult for players to make it out of College. If Clemons can get healthy, he needs to be back, Irvin will get better too.

We have Jones to think about and maybe that spot can get back filled with a stud DL player.

Post Posted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:19 pm 
* 17Power Blogger *

For 22 sacks in three years from a DT and the ability to singlehandedly turn Bruce Irvin into Aldon Smith, you pay money. Suh instantly puts this defense in 2000 Ravens territory.

Only problem is convincing Detroit to put him on the market.

Visit my Seahawks blog at 17power.blogspot.com!

Follow me on Twitter at @17power

Post Posted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:25 pm 
* Report Button *

MontanaHawk05 wrote:
Only problem is convincing Detroit to put him on the market.

Hans wasn't joking.

There's some pressure in Detroit to do just that. The GM could conceivably buy himself a year or so to "rebuild" again IF he dealt Suh. It's not as black and white (sorry for the racism...some of my best friends are Lions) as we'd think.

Post Posted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:29 pm 
* Gangnameister *

As for the attitude... How happy would you be if you had to live in detroit 8 months of the year and have to play for Jim Schwartz?! That guy is a spastic ass clown.

Post Posted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:54 pm 
NET Veteran

not being a local Hawk fan, where are these stories about Suh stating he wants to play for Seattle? Not refuting cus I'd welcome him with swords and battle axes for sure.

Post Posted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:10 pm 
NET Rookie

HansGruber wrote:
SeaWolv wrote:

But he seems so nice on the Subway commercials :D

Board index » SEAHAWKS.NET - THE VOICE OF THE 12TH MAN » [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]