Defense #1 Priority on Off-Season

The Essential Online Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. RATING: PG-13
Defense #1 Priority on Off-Season
Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:20 am

Re: Defense #1 Priority on Off-Season
Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:26 am
  • You don't need much IMO other than much the same problem that's plagued the Skins this year...lack of a top notch pass rusher that demands double teams.

Elite QBs will pick apart any secondary, even yours, if given the time.
    RiggoReincarnated
    NET Starter

Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:26 am
  • DE, OL and WR are the biggest needs
    fridayfrenzy
    NET Rookie

Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:33 am
  • Late game collapses by the defense in my opinion points directly to the lack of a consistent pass rush. With a backup QB in the game, the Seahawks blitzed with great effectiveness against the Redskins. However, you cannot rely on blitzing throughout a game to generate a pass rush (especially against the top-tier QB's). As much as I would love to see a game changer at WR, the current group is more than adequate when the play-calling actually allows RW to throw the ball. Interior pressure seems to be the most lacking, so I would make DT the number one priority, followed by DE, OL and then WR. You have to dominate in the trenches.
    Lazyfingers
    NET Bench Warmer

Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:42 am
  • pass rush??? didn't we try to address that with Bruce Irvin?
    or just need to get someone as a substitute for Clemons? I think he will be healthy and good to go next year.

my vote would be to get more beef upfront to stop the run, since we are going to play elite 49ers O-Line 3 times next year :).
    Cheesehead Seahawk Extraordinaire
    Bipolar
    NET Veteran

Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:52 am
  • Another thing I noticed about your line...Red Bryant and Alan Branch don't collapse the pocket as well as guys their size should. Maybe bring in some more beef to rotate in at DT.
    RiggoReincarnated
    NET Starter

Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:05 am
  • Without breaking down game tape, I believe most of the issues stopping the run have been off-tackle or outside runs (besides the "scheme" issues in the first 49ers game, which was a LB issue). In my opinion, the line in general is not dominate. The line does not collapse the pocket consistently and in many cases, the ends are being sealed to allow RB's to break outside runs. Improved line play across the board will allow LB's to fill the gaps and make plays in the backfield on runs or drop in coverage if better pressure is created with a 4-man rush.
    Lazyfingers
    NET Bench Warmer

Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:08 am
  • RiggoReincarnated wrote:You don't need much IMO other than much the same problem that's plagued the Skins this year...lack of a top notch pass rusher that demands double teams.

Elite QBs will pick apart any secondary, even yours, if given the time.

Elite? All these guys are pros.. You cant give ANY qb time. We made Bradford look like Brady.
    Pstark3
    NET Veteran

Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:08 am
  • RiggoReincarnated wrote:Elite QBs will pick apart any secondary, even yours, if given the time.

Actually, every good QB we faced this year had to get their yards in the middle of the field, attacking the linebackers, to regularly march down it. Go re-watch the Packers, Patriots, Lions, etc. games against us this year on NFL Game Rewind, if you want. Very little given up outside the numbers against some very good QBs.
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:22 am
  • Bipolar wrote:pass rush??? didn't we try to address that with Bruce Irvin?

Honestly I don't think it was enough.

Now with the Clemons injury, in combination with his age? Can he be counted on to return to full strength? And we also need pass rush from the inside, badly.

I'd be ok drafting 2 pass rushing d-lineman in April.
    So you think you can tell Heaven from Hell, blue skies from pain. Can you tell a green field from a cold steel rail? A smile from a veil?
    twisted_steel2
    NET Veteran

Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:25 am
  • Just draft pass rushers 1-10 in the draft, bound to hit on one.
    Seaswab
    NET Veteran

Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:00 am
  • RolandDeschain wrote:
    RiggoReincarnated wrote:Elite QBs will pick apart any secondary, even yours, if given the time.

Actually, every good QB we faced this year had to get their yards in the middle of the field, attacking the linebackers, to regularly march down it. Go re-watch the Packers, Patriots, Lions, etc. games against us this year on NFL Game Rewind, if you want. Very little given up outside the numbers against some very good QBs.

Sherman was owned yesterday.
    RiggoReincarnated
    NET Starter

Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:07 am
  • RiggoReincarnated wrote:

Someone didn't watch the game
    SUPERBOWL!!
    Hawkfan77
    NET Veteran

Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:12 am
    RolandDeschain wrote:
    RiggoReincarnated wrote:Elite QBs will pick apart any secondary, even yours, if given the time.

Not fair to put it that way. With our pathetic pass rush, quality WRs like White and Julio are going to get open eventually, even if Revis was covering them. Eventually, they find a way to get open. I agree that Sherm did not have his best game, but he was doing his best under the circumstances and making some plays
    Missing_Clink
    NET Veteran

Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:16 am
  • Missing_Clink wrote:
    RiggoReincarnated wrote:

Not fair to put it that way. With our pathetic pass rush, quality WRs like White and Julio are going to get open eventually, even if Revis was covering them. Eventually, they find a way to get open. I agree that Sherm did not have his best game, but he was doing his best under the circumstances and making some plays

Sherm was fantasic yesterday. Other then him tripping and falling down resulting in a Roddy White TD, what did he do wrong during the game?
    SUPERBOWL!!
    Hawkfan77
    NET Veteran

Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:17 am
    RolandDeschain wrote:

Really? Wha? How? :roll:

How many passes did he bat down? He was a monster in that game, I saw multiple tweets from national media talking heads praising him, during and after the game.

He was dominate for most of the game.

The 1 TD he did give up, the receiver was celebrating and getting in his face. That's just how good he is, receivers actually celebrate beating him.... it's so uncommon, it's actually a big deal. How often do you see that?
    So you think you can tell Heaven from Hell, blue skies from pain. Can you tell a green field from a cold steel rail? A smile from a veil?
    twisted_steel2
    NET Veteran

Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:42 am
  • Most of the problem with our pass rush, I believe comes from the interior. Too many times I see Irvin and Clemons curling the outside not allowing the QB to scramble. Instead, they step up and beat us because we don't have anyone pushing up the interior to force them into our DE's. Or they stand in the pocket and beat us. They don't make those throws down the middle if they have someone from up the middle getting to them. It hurt us when Jones went down in my opinion. Even though he didn't have a stellar season he still provided enough push to clog up the middle, this stopped after he went down.

On Sherman...If making one mistake as a corner is getting owned, I'll take that all day. Corner is by far the most demanding position on defense as you are running backwards, watching the QB, trying to anticipate a route and then making a play on the ball. Sherman was lights out.
    Last edited by Schadie001 on Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
    Schadie001
    NET Veteran

Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:01 am
  • Hawkfan77 wrote:
    RiggoReincarnated wrote:

Someone didn't watch the game

if being owned means giving up two catches out of 6 targets then ya i guess he did.?????/

think you might be a little confused as to what being owned means.. other than a few big plays, your elite recievers did nothing yesterday.. Gonzalez is what killed us...
    World Champs - Sounds good don't it
    hawker84
    NET Veteran

RolandDeschain wrote:

Trolling isnt your strong suit.
    CALIHAWK1
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*

Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:54 am
  • Seaswab wrote:Just draft pass rushers 1-10 in the draft, bound to hit on one.

Draft 10 defensive linemen and acquire 3 more from Free Agency.
    Axx
    NET Veteran

Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:56 pm
  • Everybody mentions the loss of Clemons but Jason Jones was almost as big of a loss. We lost our best outside rusher and our best inside rusher. There's also a good chance they won't be a factor for us next year.

Irvin, as a rookie, was reasonably effective when Clemons and Jones were also drawing attention. With those guys out, and him having to play more snaps and a play a different position, it's probably asking too much to have him out there as the only real pass rusher.

The Seahawks need to bring in at least two good pass rushers next year, preferably via free agency, since it usually takes a year or two for d-lineman to be effective.
    A-Dog
    NET Veteran

Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:22 pm
  • Lazyfingers wrote:Sando's latest blog entry that underlines the need to address defense in the off-season. No need to elaborate as the blog post explains it succinctly.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post/_/ ... ms-worries

A coordinator with some balls would be nice. Followed secondly by stud pass rushers that get to the QB early and often.
    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

May the spirit of our friend The Radish live on forever!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Pro Bowler

Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:31 pm
  • Sports Hernia wrote:A coordinator with some balls would be nice. Followed secondly by stud pass rushers that get to the QB early and often.

Our existing pass rushers will do that if we get a monster DT that eats double-teams. Pass rushers that consistently get to the QB are almost non-existent if they have an average D-line.
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:35 pm
  • Sherman... owned. Ha. Now THAT'S funny!
    Image Image Tanzania¹² Image "ALERT THE LEGION!!!"
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *
    * The Producer *

Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:22 pm
  • We need a Cortez Kennedy... or two.
    LawlessHawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:00 pm
  • at some point a coach has to admit he was unable to compensate for missing personnel by way of scheme and or playmaking..

----you have to make what you have work

case in point, the last plays of the game, Atl had to pass medium to long, they couldn't afford to run it up the middle or pass it short, everything HAD TO BE sideline and medium to long pass, just don't give that up and you advance...

go back and watch what happened the final 31 seconds, some of the worst play calling at crunch time I've seen in a play off game, only equaled by Atl's decision to throw a hail mary up 20 points... *bigfacepalm.gif*

Hawks need to address critical thinking so they stop playing down to their opponents level!!!

that and come back STRONGER

maximize your weaknesses and minimize your opponents strengths while exploiting their weakness and minimizing their strength, its a simple game strategy for every sport known to mankind, and also the "Art of War".. someone needs to read the book... ;)
    GO HAWKS!!!
    Twisted
    NET Veteran

Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:04 pm
  • fridayfrenzy wrote:DE, OL and WR are the biggest needs

:13: :13: :13:
    sig by Ramster
    The Battle #83
    NET Starter

Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:27 pm
  • We need more push up the middle. Someone you have to double up on every play. I'd like to see another OL to replace Hill, he has lost a lot of speed in pass coverage.
    I hold a lot of hope for Irvin. He is a big skinny body now and adding 15-20 of muscle would not hurt his speed IMO
    Happypuppy
    NET Veteran

Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:37 pm
  • Axx wrote:
    Seaswab wrote:Just draft pass rushers 1-10 in the draft, bound to hit on one.

Draft 10 defensive linemen and acquire 3 more from Free Agency.

^^^^ THIS
    --/*Seattle Seahawks*\--
    hawks4thewin
    NET Veteran

Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:47 pm
  • Well I am interested to see what they do, I seriously doubt we will go for a WR on the first round, its going to be Defense for sure. I think we need to upgrade on slot receiving, one more TE to compliment Zach Miller as Anthony Mccoy does not have the speed or sure hands to catch the ball. We need to probably get a QB to groom or be in the practice squad for a backup and trade Matt Flynn if we need to free up some cap money. I think we will need a strong tall CB too, in case we lose one of the CB for injury. Jeremy Lane would probably replace Tru.
    seahawks08
    NET Veteran

It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 7:21 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information