Prevent "from winning" defense

brimsalabim

Reaction score
FWIW former NFL DB and NFL network analyst Eric Davis said he was disappointed in “the legion of boom” for giving such huge cushions to the receivers on those last plays after playing such tight bump for most of the game. He said players play and no matter what the coaches call if you believe you are a top NFL cover man you can’t give that cushion.

Hawk Finn

Reaction score
Yeah, I don't understand the rationale behind it. The prevent defense is designed to give up chunks of yards at the expense of the big play. Those chunks of yards are exactly what we couldn't afford to yield. Up only one, why not trust the defense to make a play?

I thought the Bandit package would have been ideal in that situation.

Daytomann

Reaction score
I HATE prevent D but What prevented us from winning this game was going for it on fourth down and not converting. If we had those three points that we gave up on that boneheaded call, we win. You can't control a fumble and things like that but that fourth down call is all on the coaches. They were in panic mode because of being down so far. It's ok for us fans to go into panic mode but coaches should be more professional. They panicked, made the wrong call and paid for it. This loss is all on the coaches. Too bad cause the players played their asses off to come back.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
Eric Davis also addressed that notion Daytom. His point was whatever wrong decisions Carol, Wilson and company made didn’t matter because the Sea Hawks had the lead with 43 seconds left in the game. He put the loss solely on how the DB’s lined up for those last two plays.

JonRud

Reaction score
I hate to say it but I pretty much know when Lynch scored we were still going to lose. I did not go crazy when he scored...because I knew in 31 seconds they could come down and kick a FG. Have seen it too many times this season.

As painful as it was, I was not surprised they came right down and scored.

Pstark3

Reaction score
Daytomann":1ic7g7lv said:
I HATE prevent D but What prevented us from winning this game was going for it on fourth down and not converting. If we had those three points that we gave up on that boneheaded call, we win. You can't control a fumble and things like that but that fourth down call is all on the coaches. They were in panic mode because of being down so far. It's ok for us fans to go into panic mode but coaches should be more professional. They panicked, made the wrong call and paid for it. This loss is all on the coaches. Too bad cause the players played their asses off to come back.
Tell me how that prevented us from winning...... Did it prevent us from getting the lead? No

The only coach you can put this on is the DC. Everybody did an amazing job of fighting back, but Gus picked a horrible time to be ultra-conservative.

Pstark3

Reaction score
Barthawk":2ubrktng said:
Ultra-conservative? I deleted the game already but I swore they blitzed on both plays on the last drive.. that would explain the cushion given..
I was talking more about the cushion. I think we blitzed a safety then a corner? But yeah didnt really matter because neither got anywhere close to Matt

I'd take our chances running our normal defense against them, and risking a jumpball. They can throw a jumpball to Browner or Sherman anyday IMO, thats 10x better than defenders being 15 yards deeper than their receiver..

brimsalabim

Reaction score
Pstark3 - pretty much the same point Davis made on the morning show. He was adament that the cusion did us in. The throw was 22 yards because of the cusion. And davis said no matter what the DC called our DB's should not have given that deep cusion for Matt Ryan to work with.

jlwaters1

Reaction score
Barthawk":1bbyrep3 said:
Ultra-conservative? I deleted the game already but I swore they blitzed on both plays on the last drive.. that would explain the cushion given..

They did blitz that's how They were able to get that 2nd big play to give them the FG. Wagner didn't come through on coverage.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Not sure what game you guys were watching, but that wasn't the prevent D. The prevent D is what the Broncos got burned on Saturday night.....rush 3 and everyone else drops into zone.

Both of Atlanta's final two plays we zone blitzed. The same zone blitzes that crushed Cousins and the Skins during the final plays of that game. Except this time Rodgers and the Falcons picked up the blitz both times.

Compound the fact that Trufant didn't play deep enough on the first play, and Guy waited too long to blitz on the 2nd one. Right play calling, poor defensive execution. Game over.

Largent80

Reaction score
You simply DO NOT leave the middle of the field open. And it was open enough to drive a semi through it. Terrible defensive calls right there, and extremely-poorly executed.

OP
OP
Aristotle22

Aristotle22

Reaction score
What if they just committed defensive holding and give them five yards and chew up 6-8 seconds. Kind of like fouling at the end of a basketball game

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
On KJR this am, Mitch was talking about the Ian Furness interview with Browner after the game.
Went something like "What happened there at the end?"
A very dejected Browner replied, "We went soft zone", then put his head down and walked away. Says a lot.
Problem I see, especially for a guy like Browner, is when you are taking away his strength by going to the prevent.

Barthawk

Reaction score
Hmm... I would say that is a good tactic with the Def Holding if they did not have two timeouts.. say we did employ that tactic and Ryan gets sacked or throws a pick? The .NET whipping boy today would be whoever held on that play..

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Grahamhawker":213jg8dj said:
Problem I see, especially for a guy like Browner, is when you are taking away his strength by going to the prevent.

Again, it wasn't the prevent. We blitzed on both plays.

If Trufant doesn't bite down on Gonzales the first play and leave too much space behind him for Douglas, then it's an 8-10 yard completion to Gonzales, and not a 20 yard completion to Douglas.

2nd play Guy didn't time his blitz right and allowed Rodgers time to slide all the way across the line to pick him up.

Once again, right call..........poor execution. No one was complaining about the zone blitzes last week when we knocked Cousins in the mouth twice at the end of the Redskins game.