Russell Wilson's marketability

The Essential Online Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. RATING: PG-13
Russell Wilson's marketability
Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:00 pm
  • While I dont think he'll ever be an endorsement whore like Peyton Manning is I do think he's going to be the biggest national superstar in the history of Seattle sports.

I have a feeling we're going to get quite a few prime time games next year and it will be largely because of Wilson. He's exactly the type of man and player that the NFL should be looking to push into stardom and make one of the public faces of the league.

I also think that being short and overcoming obstacles makes him kind of an underdog and "everyman" type who even other teams fans will root for.

I think for the next decade we're going to get a lot of love and we might even become one of "those teams" that ESPN pays attention to.

Just dont put him on the Madden cover...
    JSeahawks
    * NET Moderator *

Re: Russell Wilson's marketability
Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:04 pm
  • JSeahawks wrote:While I dont think he'll ever be an endorsement whore like Peyton Manning is I do think he's going to be the biggest national superstar in the history of Seattle sports.

I have a feeling we're going to get quite a few prime time games next year and it will be largely because of Wilson. He's exactly the type of man and player that the NFL should be looking to push into stardom and make one of the public faces of the league.

I also think that being short and overcoming obstacles makes him kind of an underdog and "everyman" type who even other teams fans will root for.

I think for the next decade we're going to get a lot of love and we might even become one of "those teams" that ESPN pays attention to.

Just dont put him on the Madden cover...

Yeah that Madden curse, gets em every time. Who was on the cover last time? Oh wait.... :stirthepot:

Yeah I agree on everything but the whole Madden cover deal though. Very likeable, hard working, solid, standup guy, who shines in all the big moments. Very marketable.
    bellingerga
    NET Veteran

Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:04 pm
  • Agree with you on all accounts. Doesn't hurt that he is better looking than Manning too. Of course so is my dog but.......
    From the white sands
    To the canyon lands
    To the redwood stands
    To the barren lands

hawksfansinceday1
    NET Pro Bowler

Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:05 pm
  • Thought the thread was going to be about his trade value :shock:
    SNDavidson
    NET Veteran

Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:07 pm
  • He's by FAR the most marketable person the NFL has now, IMO. Bi-racial, Christian, hard-worker, underdog, EVERYTHING. He's Madison Avenue's DREAM.
    pehawk
    * Report Button *

Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:07 pm
  • SNDavidson wrote:Thought the thread was going to be about his trade value :shock:

If SF calls and offers Justin Smith, Aldon Smith, Kaepernick, Patrick Willis, Vernon Davis, Michael Crabtree and two 1st round draft picks i'd think about it.
    JSeahawks
    * NET Moderator *

Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:08 pm
  • JSeahawks wrote:
    SNDavidson wrote:Thought the thread was going to be about his trade value :shock:

If SF calls and offers Justin Smith, Aldon Smith, Kaepernick, Patrick Willis, Vernon Davis, Michael Crabtree and two 1st round draft picks i'd think about it.

Not me. Seriously.
    From the white sands
    To the canyon lands
    To the redwood stands
    To the barren lands

hawksfansinceday1
    NET Pro Bowler

Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:08 pm
  • Bigger than Ken Griffey Jr? I dunno bout that. He's good but not THAT good jmo
    49elite
    NET Bench Warmer

Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:09 pm
  • Did you guys know that he's also considered slightly undersized for the quarterback position?
    SNDavidson
    NET Veteran

Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:11 pm
  • 49elite wrote:Bigger than Ken Griffey Jr? I dunno bout that. He's good but not THAT good jmo

Not yet, but in the long run he will be bigger.
    From the white sands
    To the canyon lands
    To the redwood stands
    To the barren lands

hawksfansinceday1
    NET Pro Bowler

• pehawk wrote:He's by FAR the most marketable person the NFL has now, IMO. Bi-racial, Christian, hard-worker, underdog, EVERYTHING. He's Madison Avenue's DREAM.

And most importantly, he's all that AND he can actually ball. Unlike some other over talked about QB's in the NFL.
    BWRyan
    NET Veteran

• SNDavidson wrote:Did you guys know that he's also considered slightly undersized for the quarterback position?

I hadn't heard that yet. Crazy talk, I tell ya
    bellingerga
    NET Veteran

Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:13 pm
  • Levi's was on the bandwagon early!
    As a musician and audio quality champion, Neil Young said in 2012, “Steve Jobs was a pioneer of digital music. But when he went home, he listened to vinyl.”
    twisted_steel2
    NET Veteran

Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:17 pm
  • 49elite wrote:Bigger than Ken Griffey Jr? I dunno bout that. He's good but not THAT good jmo

Patience, young Skywalker. He only broke a half dozen records his rookie season. He'll break the rest later.
    World Champion Seattle Seahawks football. It's an addiction, and there is no cure.
    Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *

Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:19 pm
  • So is Colin Kaepernick. And CK might win the SB (at least he is still playing)
    Except ... RW doesn't have any visible tattoos ... ha ha ha

pehawk wrote:He's by FAR the most marketable person the NFL has now, IMO. Bi-racial, Christian, hard-worker, underdog, EVERYTHING. He's Madison Avenue's DREAM.
    Joe
    joeseahawks
    *The Prophet*

Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:21 pm
  • Kaepernick seems immature to me, he's also not as smart as Russell is, see that personal foul in which he spiked the ball at the dude and said "yea m.... f...er!" He also has a stupid face. Thank you.
    SNDavidson
    NET Veteran

Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:27 pm
  • I live on the East Coast and I don't think he is that big, and here is why:

+I listen to ESPN Radio (I don't watch their TV Network) and unfortunately, many of the journalists still don't give him enough respect, even after what he did today. If they were voting for ROY today, some journalist would still vote for Luck or RGIII. I understand we lost, but everyone was talking about Matt Ryan and how clutch he was. Very little mention about RW overcoming 3 TDs.
    +Elevating RW above Luck and RGIII means lots of these "Pundits" were wrong. These people will NEVER accept they were wrong about RW.
    +I did browse a few forums of teams that passed on RW in the draft to see if there was some type of remorse about not taking him ... very little mention.

RW marketability outside the Pacific NW will go as far as ESPN and all the bias media will want to carry it. Right now, I don't think they are ready to carry him above "there are lots of promising QBs in the NFL" (signed John Clayton, without even mentioning RW name in an interview tonight, when asked about RW performance in Atlanta).
    Joe
    joeseahawks
    *The Prophet*

Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:34 pm
  • joeseahawks wrote:I live on the East Coast and I don't think he is that big, and here is why:

+I listen to ESPN Radio (I don't watch their TV Network) and unfortunately, many of the journalists still don't give him enough respect, even after what he did today. If they were voting for ROY today, some journalist would still vote for Luck or RGIII. I understand we lost, but everyone was talking about Matt Ryan and how clutch he was. Very little mention about RW overcoming 3 TDs.
    +Elevating RW above Luck and RGIII means lots of these "Pundits" were wrong. These people will NEVER accept they were wrong about RW.
    +I did browse a few forums of teams that passed on RW in the draft to see if there was some type of remorse about not taking him ... very little mention.

RW marketability outside the Pacific NW will go as far as ESPN and all the bias media will want to carry it. Right now, I don't think they are ready to carry him above "there are lots of promising QBs in the NFL" (signed John Clayton, without even mentioning RW name in an interview tonight, when asked about RW performance in Atlanta).

I'm talking about his whole career though, i'm not talking about right now. Give it a few years and a Superbowl win or two.

Just for kicks I went thru a Game thread on a Cowboys forum about our game and they were absolutely drooling over Wilson. Basically saying that he is everything they wish Romo was.
    JSeahawks
    * NET Moderator *

Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:37 pm
  • I don't know if Russell will be the most marketable player in the entire NFL, but he most definitely is for the Seahawks. His presence on our team will give us a lot of respect and attention for years to come.

Colin Kaepernick seems like an okay guy in interviews, but looks like a street thug and doesn't look like he's ever picked up a book.
    Austin Hawk
    NET Veteran

Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:44 pm
  • Hasselbeck had at least a few nice endorsements like Campbell's soup and some kind of protein shake. Wilson should be able to match that.

Edit: It was EOS Myoplex
    BeastQuake
    NET Bench Warmer

Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:52 pm
  • Most marketable in Seattle sports history? Huh?

Are you forgetting Ken Griffy Jr? He even had a video game series named after him!
    VancitySeahawk
    NET Veteran

Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:45 pm
  • Well having the too short label I'm sure Extenz is knocking on the door.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Used to be an Alumni till they pulled a USC on me...
    .Net official Clueless, Dumbass, Douche, Simpleton, CensoredTard , Idiot, member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:26 am
  • VancitySeahawk wrote:Most marketable in Seattle sports history? Huh?

Are you forgetting Ken Griffy Jr? He even had a video game series named after him!

Just wait for the debut of Russell Wilson AntiPerspirant. Dude never sweats anything.
    JSeahawks
    * NET Moderator *

Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:33 am
  • JSeahawks wrote:
    VancitySeahawk wrote:Most marketable in Seattle sports history? Huh?

Just wait for the debut of Russell Wilson AntiPerspirant. Dude never sweats anything.

Brilliant.

Go Hawks.
    SouthSoundHawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:34 am
  • SNDavidson wrote:Thought the thread was going to be about his trade value :shock:

Me too, and was preparing to react negatively :mrgreen:
    Why is it when I try to come off as a smart ass, the opposite happens? :-(
    grizbob
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*

Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:34 am
  • joeseahawks wrote:I live on the East Coast and I don't think he is that big, and here is why:

Well Cowherd stating this morning that he expects most wins etc by Luck then closely after that RW then after that (not closely) RG3 and Kapernick

Luck and RG3 durability is up there. Coming into next year RW will be a HUGE story. Media will focus on the championship games now but no doubt about it RW will be one of the major story lines going into next year and will get bigger a few games in when people realize he is a terrific pocket passer........
    mikeak
    NET Veteran

Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:45 am
  • I could care less about his marketability. He isn’t a glory hound at all so that alone will likely keep a lot of this in check. I just want him to come back in the first mini-camp switched on and ready to resume where he left off! I am just so glad that we don’t have to hear him referred to as a rookie any longer. The height thing will likely always be there for the mediots who can’t accept that they were wrong, I hope it turns out to be his ace in the hole.

P.S. Do post season TD’s count towards his rookie season stats?
    #NEXTMANUP
    Evil_Shenanigans
    NET Veteran

Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:45 am
  • joeseahawks wrote:So is Colin Kaepernick. And CK might win the SB (at least he is still playing)
    Except ... RW doesn't have any visible tattoos ... ha ha ha

pehawk wrote:He's by FAR the most marketable person the NFL has now, IMO. Bi-racial, Christian, hard-worker, underdog, EVERYTHING. He's Madison Avenue's DREAM.

although Kaep for the most part represents the players in the NFL, in dress, tats, etc.... i do not think he is what the NFL or endorsement companies are looking for in representing them.. RW is definitley more marketable than Kaep.. i see Kaep in a Rap video more than i see him in a All State commercial.
    World Champs - Sounds good don't it
    hawker84
    NET Veteran

Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:51 am
  • RW WILL be doing corny Buick sommercials within 5 years, just like the guy with Pete Roses haircut.
    pehawk
    * Report Button *

Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:57 am
  • pehawk wrote:RW WILL be doing corny Buick sommercials within 5 years, just like the guy with Pete Roses haircut.

He was the all-time hits leader!!!
    Rzzzzz...
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *

Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:59 am
  • Evil_Shenanigans wrote:I could care less about his marketability. He isn’t a glory hound at all so that alone will likely keep a lot of this in check. I just want him to come back in the first mini-camp switched on and ready to resume where he left off! I am just so glad that we don’t have to hear him referred to as a rookie any longer. The height thing will likely always be there for the mediots who can’t accept that they were wrong, I hope it turns out to be his ace in the hole.

P.S. Do post season TD’s count towards his rookie season stats?

I think people need to separate the fact that he is a great person wanting to acchive greatness that donates his time to children hospital from the fact that he may want to make money.

He wants to acchieve results in his life but he also knows he has a short window to make lots of money and will want to take some advantage of that. I don't think he will maximize it now as big payday is out there but he also knows he could be one big hit away from never playing again. he won't approach life or the game with that mindset but he will protect himself with insurance and getting some endorsment deals

and he should
    mikeak
    NET Veteran

It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:24 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information