Russell Wilson's marketability

JSeahawks

Reaction score
While I dont think he'll ever be an endorsement whore like Peyton Manning is I do think he's going to be the biggest national superstar in the history of Seattle sports.

I have a feeling we're going to get quite a few prime time games next year and it will be largely because of Wilson. He's exactly the type of man and player that the NFL should be looking to push into stardom and make one of the public faces of the league.

I also think that being short and overcoming obstacles makes him kind of an underdog and "everyman" type who even other teams fans will root for.

I think for the next decade we're going to get a lot of love and we might even become one of "those teams" that ESPN pays attention to.

Just dont put him on the Madden cover...

bellingerga

Reaction score
JSeahawks":20i8bzjl said:
While I dont think he'll ever be an endorsement whore like Peyton Manning is I do think he's going to be the biggest national superstar in the history of Seattle sports.

I have a feeling we're going to get quite a few prime time games next year and it will be largely because of Wilson. He's exactly the type of man and player that the NFL should be looking to push into stardom and make one of the public faces of the league.

I also think that being short and overcoming obstacles makes him kind of an underdog and "everyman" type who even other teams fans will root for.

I think for the next decade we're going to get a lot of love and we might even become one of "those teams" that ESPN pays attention to.

Just dont put him on the Madden cover...

Yeah that Madden curse, gets em every time. Who was on the cover last time? Oh wait.... :stirthepot:

Yeah I agree on everything but the whole Madden cover deal though. Very likeable, hard working, solid, standup guy, who shines in all the big moments. Very marketable.

SNDavidson

Reaction score
Thought the thread was going to be about his trade value :shock:

pehawk

Reaction score
He's by FAR the most marketable person the NFL has now, IMO. Bi-racial, Christian, hard-worker, underdog, EVERYTHING. He's Madison Avenue's DREAM.

OP
OP
JSeahawks

JSeahawks

Reaction score
SNDavidson":1ieq2rc1 said:

If SF calls and offers Justin Smith, Aldon Smith, Kaepernick, Patrick Willis, Vernon Davis, Michael Crabtree and two 1st round draft picks i'd think about it.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
JSeahawks":1gtqp6vo said:
SNDavidson":1gtqp6vo said:

If SF calls and offers Justin Smith, Aldon Smith, Kaepernick, Patrick Willis, Vernon Davis, Michael Crabtree and two 1st round draft picks i'd think about it.
Not me. Seriously.

SNDavidson

Reaction score
Did you guys know that he's also considered slightly undersized for the quarterback position?

BWRyan

Reaction score
pehawk":37muvvhv said:
He's by FAR the most marketable person the NFL has now, IMO. Bi-racial, Christian, hard-worker, underdog, EVERYTHING. He's Madison Avenue's DREAM.

And most importantly, he's all that AND he can actually ball. Unlike some other over talked about QB's in the NFL.

joeseahawks

Reaction score
So is Colin Kaepernick. And CK might win the SB (at least he is still playing)
Except ... RW doesn't have any visible tattoos ... ha ha ha

pehawk":3skrv9d5 said:

SNDavidson

Reaction score
Kaepernick seems immature to me, he's also not as smart as Russell is, see that personal foul in which he spiked the ball at the dude and said "yea m.... f...er!" He also has a stupid face. Thank you.

joeseahawks

Reaction score
I live on the East Coast and I don't think he is that big, and here is why:

+I listen to ESPN Radio (I don't watch their TV Network) and unfortunately, many of the journalists still don't give him enough respect, even after what he did today. If they were voting for ROY today, some journalist would still vote for Luck or RGIII. I understand we lost, but everyone was talking about Matt Ryan and how clutch he was. Very little mention about RW overcoming 3 TDs.
+Elevating RW above Luck and RGIII means lots of these "Pundits" were wrong. These people will NEVER accept they were wrong about RW.
+I did browse a few forums of teams that passed on RW in the draft to see if there was some type of remorse about not taking him ... very little mention.

RW marketability outside the Pacific NW will go as far as ESPN and all the bias media will want to carry it. Right now, I don't think they are ready to carry him above "there are lots of promising QBs in the NFL" (signed John Clayton, without even mentioning RW name in an interview tonight, when asked about RW performance in Atlanta).

OP
OP
JSeahawks

JSeahawks

Reaction score
joeseahawks":2tv24n1w said:
I live on the East Coast and I don't think he is that big, and here is why:

+I listen to ESPN Radio (I don't watch their TV Network) and unfortunately, many of the journalists still don't give him enough respect, even after what he did today. If they were voting for ROY today, some journalist would still vote for Luck or RGIII. I understand we lost, but everyone was talking about Matt Ryan and how clutch he was. Very little mention about RW overcoming 3 TDs.
+Elevating RW above Luck and RGIII means lots of these "Pundits" were wrong. These people will NEVER accept they were wrong about RW.
+I did browse a few forums of teams that passed on RW in the draft to see if there was some type of remorse about not taking him ... very little mention.

RW marketability outside the Pacific NW will go as far as ESPN and all the bias media will want to carry it. Right now, I don't think they are ready to carry him above "there are lots of promising QBs in the NFL" (signed John Clayton, without even mentioning RW name in an interview tonight, when asked about RW performance in Atlanta).

I'm talking about his whole career though, i'm not talking about right now. Give it a few years and a Superbowl win or two.

Just for kicks I went thru a Game thread on a Cowboys forum about our game and they were absolutely drooling over Wilson. Basically saying that he is everything they wish Romo was.

Austin Hawk

Reaction score
I don't know if Russell will be the most marketable player in the entire NFL, but he most definitely is for the Seahawks. His presence on our team will give us a lot of respect and attention for years to come.

Colin Kaepernick seems like an okay guy in interviews, but looks like a street thug and doesn't look like he's ever picked up a book.

BeastQuake

Reaction score
Hasselbeck had at least a few nice endorsements like Campbell's soup and some kind of protein shake. Wilson should be able to match that.

Edit: It was EOS Myoplex