Do we need a burner?

Seeker

Reaction score
We didn't look that bad at WR today. our style is different.
I feel like Rice is more of a hybrid possession/#1 than a pure number 1 but i am very happy with his production this year especially considering he wasn't 100%.
but still i wonder what this team would look like next with a BURNER wr on the squad. with russell's arm.....

i hate to use him as an example so soon but seahawks + a julio?

this team would be 19 - 0

Fox0r

Reaction score
Seeker":2rg79wje said:
I feel like Rice is more of a hybrid possession/#1 than a pure number 1 but i am very happy with his production this year especially considering he wasn't 100%.
but still i wonder what this team would look like next with a BURNER wr on the squad. with russell's arm.....

A burner WR wouldn't stop Matt Ryan from going 50 yards in 2 plays.

daketah

Reaction score
"We all we got, we all we need."

What we need is growth. Today was a big step in that area.

Upgrades at a couple positions will just be icing on the cake.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
I'm not sure if we need a burner or a frizby catching dog. It would be awful nice to see what this offense could do with megatron though.

BillHawks

Reaction score
I thought about this too. It would be a high draft pick though and there aren't many guys out there this year.

We've tried guys like Butler and Lockette but they still don't get any separation. I think the offense would benefit greatly from someone like Mike Wallace (no, I'm not suggesting we get him - just an example). I think Pete is always looking for that guy but like I said, it's hard to get that kind of player without investing a lot.

SmokinHawk

Reaction score
Fox0r":2l97d6i6 said:
Seeker":2l97d6i6 said:

A burner WR wouldn't stop Matt Ryan from going 50 yards in 2 plays.

Awesome story, bro. How about posting on topic next time?

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
I think so cuz it would leave the other guys single covered much more often and open up the ground game more as well. Plus we saw what this offense looks like with more involvement by Zach/TEs the last 2 games too. Better pass pro and field awareness by Russ means a lot more of that as well. Unfortunately, burners don't grow on trees but it IS supposed to be a deep WR class this draft so here's hoping......

glasgow seahawks

Reaction score
The biggest need is pass rush...DT/DE whatever way they go it nees to be in getting pressure to the opposing QB. WR is a posiiton you can fil in any of the rounds of the draft, plus a lot of FA's too.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
SharkHawk":1w6gcqb8 said:
Tavon Austin. Things would be much different.

De'Anthony Thomas... if we can wait a year or two.

But yea, I do think we could use somebody who's a threat to score every time he touches the ball. I dont think its our biggest need, but definatly a need.

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
Offense is not the problem.

We need defenders that can make a play when we need it...see: Detroit, Miami, today.

Alas, I think we need a young stud WR - not necessarily a burner.

BillHawks

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":11vdzjh2 said:
Offense is not the problem.

We need defenders that can make a play when we need it...see: Detroit, Miami, today.

Alas, I think we need a young stud WR - not necessarily a burner.

Right. It's definitely an issue with the offense but the Hawks have more pressing needs up front on D. It would help out the offense a lot but the net gain would probably be less than taking a solid lineman.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
glasgow seahawks":1zabhx84 said:
BlueThunder":1zabhx84 said:
Any big free agent WR's coming up this off season?

3 I know who are big names are Welker, Bowe and Greg Jennings

I believe Mike Wallace from Pittsburgh is a FA as well. And he would definatly be a burner.

Hawks46

Reaction score
A burner wouldn't have changed things today. Atlanta was playing a Cover 2 shell today; it's specifically designed to keep WRs in front of the secondary and not give up the big play. Having a guy vertically stretch the field into the teeth of the defense wouldn't have changed anything.

The way you beat that is what we did a bit in the 1st half, hit the TE. A running game would've made the safeties creep up, and then get hit over the top with the PA pass. The lack of a run game hurt us more than missing an elite WR, although it would be nice to see Tate and Rice win some one on one matchups against better than average CBs.

What we need is at least one more dominating OG. Sweezy isn't there yet (might not ever be dominating) and Moffitt just doesn't look like he takes it seriously enough.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
glasgow seahawks":34tss7u3 said:
BlueThunder":34tss7u3 said:
Any big free agent WR's coming up this off season?

3 I know who are big names are Welker, Bowe and Greg Jennings
Isn't Mike Wallace also? Regardless, if we're going to make a huge FA signing I'm with kearly that it needs to be a pass rusher.

Reaction score
JSeahawks":fzfbbg4h said:
SharkHawk":fzfbbg4h said:
Tavon Austin. Things would be much different.

But yea, I do think we could use somebody who's a threat to score every time he touches the ball. I dont think its our biggest need, but definatly a need.

It is one of the missing links on offense. Somebody that keeps d coordinators up at night. Markus Wheaton from oregon st would be nice. Dude makes fast people look slow.

themunn

Reaction score
Man I still rage that we didn't take Josh Gordon, even though it would have cost us a 2013 1st in the end, even if he hadn't started this year I think a supplemental draft pick is worth the pick below it essentially because you're getting the player a year early (so although we'd lose a 1st round pick in 2013, he'd be in the system for a year so you're getting added value there).

800 yards from a shortened season working with Brandon Weeden and the Browns. Care to imagine how he'd have done with us? Still, can't rage about the past.

Sidney Rice simply doesn't have the breakaway speed necessary to be a true number 1 wideout, I mean you don't NEED that speed as Fitzgerald has proven time and time again. However, Rice isn't Fitzgerald and few players are, so we need someone that can just blaze past cornerbacks and not rely on poor coverage to make plays

Latest posts