Darrell Bevell, you're an idiot.

The Essential Online Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. RATING: PG-13
Darrell Bevell, you're an idiot.
Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:15 pm
  • This is why you have to start off strong with play calling. Not the idiocy you start every game with that ends up giving the opposition a lead. I hope you go to Chicago, or anywhere but here.

UGH. We so should have had this damned game.
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Re: Darrell Bevell, you're an idiot.
Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:16 pm
  • hes too conservative for my taste.
    blue 22
    NET Veteran

Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:17 pm
  • Bevell called a really good game imo. Players didnt execute in the 1st half. Simple as that.
    JSeahawks
    * NET Moderator *

Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:18 pm
  • Bevell fumbled the football?

Pete should have taken the field goal.

I dunno who took the time out but I doubt it was Bevell.
    Driver of the PC/JS Super Bowl wagon since 2010
    Sherman looks like a ballet master in grand jeté –
    a trash-talking, dreadlocked Baryshnikov suspended
    impossibly above the turf – pro football's paean to
    wanton human destruction slips into the sublime.
    TDOTSEAHAWK
    NET Veteran

• Too harsh.
    Some of the design plays are excellent. They are built around Wilson's strengths nicely. The offense didn't really lose this game. Our defense mostly did.
    Mjolnir
    NET Starter

• Falcons owned first half, Seahawks owned second half. Could've easily been the other way around. Great game, guys. We'll try to take care of SF for ya.
    Falcan Moore
    NET Practice Squad

Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:19 pm
  • entirely too conservative in the first half, I agree.

Russell Wilson just had his best game and it was wasted because he wasn't allowed to play his game until we were already down by 3 scores.
    Hawknballs
    NET Veteran

Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:19 pm
  • Playcalling is harder than it looks. I also feel woulda coulda shoulda for this game, but the Falcons were absolutely out of their minds in stopping Lynch early, which made it a one-armed contest for a while. The fact that this team clawed back into it places Bevell ahead of someone like the sainted Mike Holmgren, who almost never figured out how to claw out of a whole if the original scheme failed.
    Hawk n Load
    NET Practice Squad

Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:21 pm
  • TDOTSEAHAWK wrote:Bevell fumbled the football?

i asked my buddy who is a hawks fan why the hell didn't pete kick the 3 earlier... wtf the score was 10-0 ?
    Mr9erComeNPeace
    NET Bench Warmer

Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:22 pm
  • I didn't think our play calling was bad on offense. However, when there were 31 seconds left after we went up, I turned to my wife and said "I hope our defense doesn't play soft and let them get in field goal position" - and that's exactly what happened.

Also, not sure what PC was upset about after the timeout, because in the replay he clearly told the line judge to take a time out at the last second.
    Austin Hawk
    NET Veteran

Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:24 pm
  • If anything Gus Bradley for playing the soft zone killed us.
    TDOTSEAHAWK
    NET Veteran

Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:25 pm
  • Agreed. He lost this game for us, and lost regular season games for us. He is just bad at playcalling a quarterback like Russell Wilson. He has stated in interviews that he struggles to NOT hold Russell Wilson back. We need someone who is able to help Wilson grow, not someone who is neutral at best.

It is true that other players and coaches could have done things that would enabled us to win - that is always true. HOWEVER, Bevell is the only one who performed at a level that any schmuck off the street could perform at. He needs to go.
    jdblack
    NET Starter

Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:27 pm
  • Playcalling didn't play defense.
    "...Seattle has become the capital city of the New NFL" - Kip Earlywine

Remembering "The Radish" :les:
    HoustonHawk82
    * NET Mechanic *

Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:27 pm
  • We missed so many opportunities to run the read, I don't know if that was Wilson not pulling or what.
    CrimsonWazzu
    NET Starter

Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:29 pm
  • Austin Hawk wrote:I didn't think our play calling was bad on offense. However, when there were 31 seconds left after we went up, I turned to my wife and said "I hope our defense doesn't play soft and let them get in field goal position" - and that's exactly what happened.

Also, not sure what PC was upset about after the timeout, because in the replay he clearly told the line judge to take a time out at the last second.

Gus dialed it up, we had no pressure today without Clem. Clearly Irvin still needs to grow and develop into an every down DE, and not Having Clem in there to contain the run and pressure early passing situations really hurt us today.
    CrimsonWazzu
    NET Starter

Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:29 pm
  • Really.. The game was ridiculously close. If the Hawks won, this thread wouldn't have even been thought of.
    ~ The Stache'
    Zowert
    NET Veteran

Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:30 pm
  • JSeahawks wrote:Bevell called a really good game imo. Players didnt execute in the 1st half. Simple as that.

In the second half, yes. He has been doing this for so many games. His first 20 game minutes of play-calling were, as they have been in recent games, absolute vanilla garbage which is why we score nothing the first quarter and get down like we did in Washington, and again here. If he had called the first half the same as the second half, we have a comfortable win. He is too damned stupid to go for the throat to start a game. Look what we did today, 3-and-out with a run-run-pass. Gee, Atlanta's defense never knew what hit them.

I will be livid if Bevell is still calling plays here next year. The dude does not know how to plan to start a game for the life of him. You can only do that vanilla garbage if you have the offensive personnel to execute it at an elite level. We don't, not even close.

Let's be realistic and honest, here. Bevell called a good half, and this time, it wasn't enough to make up for his garbage first half.
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:32 pm
  • Zowert wrote:Really.. The game was ridiculously close. If the Hawks won, this thread wouldn't have even been thought of.

No, I said in the 3rd quarter in the chat room that his first half was total garbage at play calling. It was. Not even arguable.
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:33 pm
  • Gus Bradley, This does not surprise me, we lost in the same fashion that lost to Detroit and Miami in this zone soft shit..

I dont even know what to say
    Axx
    NET Veteran

Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:33 pm
  • I can't understand how you place so much blame on the offesnive play-calling. That is the biggest scapegoat for poor execution - which was rampant on defense and offense in the first half.
    TDOTSEAHAWK
    NET Veteran

Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:35 pm
  • The key moment was the turnover IMO. Wagner just intercepted Ryan in the first half and we were marching down into Atl territory when Lynch fumbled. Had we been able to score on that drive, I think the Falcons would have played tight.
    HunnyBadger
    NET Starter

Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:35 pm
  • But Bevell should have called a pass on that play. Then...no Lynch fumble.

LYNCH BEVELL!!!!!
    TDOTSEAHAWK
    NET Veteran

Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:36 pm
  • Mr9erComeNPeace wrote:
    TDOTSEAHAWK wrote:Bevell fumbled the football?

i asked my buddy who is a hawks fan why the hell didn't pete kick the 3 earlier... wtf the score was 10-0 ?

Yup.

4th and 1 was very dumb.
    Vesuve
    NET Bench Warmer

Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:36 pm
  • The fact that he can dial up drives at any point in the game puts him in the top half of coordinators in this league. Adjust quicker, maybe? OK, but the second quarter was already better than the first, and with a few breaks or better execution we don't have this conversation.

Bevell didn't fumble, he didn't drop a pass, he didn't miss a read, and he didn't fall down at the line of scrimmage. Any of those things change in the first half, this team has points, and they have a clearer win.
    Hawk n Load
    NET Practice Squad

Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:37 pm
  • Apparently he was run blocking and tackling in the first half for us though....
    TDOTSEAHAWK
    NET Veteran

Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:39 pm
  • Really? This is on Bevell? We left a good 13+ points on the field by fumbling, an inability to move 6 inches and running out of time. Yeah, Bevell could have managed some of that better, but so could have the players.

Amazing after that game this board turns to wet noodles. Ffs we were down 20 in the 4th and were a ill informed to call away from winning!

Why can't we pick it apart tomorrow and celebrate this squad... just effing once! Freaking perfectionist seeking self serving whiners on here sometimes.
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran

Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:46 pm
  • The only egregious mistake was the Robinson inside draw on 4th and 1. It was time to run something new.

Granted, it didn't help that no one picked up the safety.
    Super Bowl Champions XVLIII

RIP Radish: Check your PMs. Upper right corner.
    Sarlacc83
    * NET Philistine *

Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:51 pm
  • i've always felt bevells playcalling is way too conservative.... RW has proven he can take it upon his shoulders to move the O, yet he insisted on pounding the ball for minimal gain, and putting us in 3rd and longs.... it wasn't until the second half they wen't more to the pass, and you saw how effective it was.... i put a lot of blame on him for our first half problems... but whatever , what's done is done.. Go Hawks, can't wait for next season.
    World Champs - Sounds good don't it
    hawker84
    NET Veteran

Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:52 pm
  • JSeahawks wrote:Bevell called a really good game imo. Players didnt execute in the 1st half. Simple as that.

Offense was rolling in the first half, just had a LOT of tough luck. Lynch fumble, 4th down miss, 0.25 seconds short of 1 more play.

Sarlacc83 wrote:The only egregious mistake was the Robinson inside draw on 4th and 1. It was time to run something new.

Granted, it didn't help that no one picked up the safety.

I like that play, but not on 4th and 1. It can be stopped if you know it's coming, and I thought Seattle was too obvious there.
    kearly
    * Mr Random Thought *

Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:53 pm
  • TDOTSEAHAWK wrote:I can't understand how you place so much blame on the offesnive play-calling. That is the biggest scapegoat for poor execution - which was rampant on defense and offense in the first half.

Thats what they do.They watch a play and if it doesnt work it was a bad call.They dont care why it doesnt work it was just a bad call.Its the easiest thing to cry about and takes no thought or time to rewatch the game again or check out all 22 and really paying attention.
    justafan
    NET Veteran

Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:09 pm
  • How many times have we gone 3-and-out with run-run-pass in the first half of a game this year? Must be a lot. Bevell only calls consistently good plays in the second half of games. It's infuriating.
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:15 pm
  • RolandDeschain wrote:How many times have we gone 3-and-out with run-run-pass in the first half of a game this year? Must be a lot. Bevell only calls consistently good plays in the second half of games. It's infuriating.

Fair enough... but some of that has to be a philosophy towards Wilson, who has now shown he deserves all the tools the coordinator has to offer. Bevell was not nearly as complacent with Favre.

I know after today its hard to do, but id be willing to let Bevell push Wilson and the offense next year, given that there is significant development. I think we have something really special right no
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran

Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:21 pm
  • Do some of you guys not see the pattern, here? Bevell's vanilla play-calling gets us down early against good teams, like D.C. last week and Atlanta this week, then he turns it up and starts calling a good game. It was enough to win with last week, but not this week.

If Bevell cannot learn how to be AGGRESSIVE from the beginning, he needs to get the hell out. What, you think it's a coincidence we spend the second half of practically every game marching down the field at will, while we spend the first half of most of them looking like the Three Stooges on offense? Give me a break.

It's the offensive play-calling that was our biggest weakness in the postseason this year. Hands down. Other things hurt, no doubt about it; like Lynch's fumbles, and our O-line's blocking. None so large as Bevell's first-half play-calling habits, though. It's the sore thumb that sticks out.
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:24 pm
  • I would love it if we held the players as accountable as the coaches.
    seahawk2k
    NET Veteran

Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:25 pm
  • justafan wrote:
    TDOTSEAHAWK wrote:I can't understand how you place so much blame on the offesnive play-calling. That is the biggest scapegoat for poor execution - which was rampant on defense and offense in the first half.

Thats what they do.They watch a play and if it doesnt work it was a bad call.They dont care why it doesnt work it was just a bad call.Its the easiest thing to cry about and takes no thought or time to rewatch the game again or check out all 22 and really paying attention.

I was swearing and ranting against Bevell as many snaps were being made in the first half, as soon as I could see that he had called yet another running play. I did not wait to see if the plays would work because it was enough to know that they were repeatedly stuffing our run by stacking defenders in the box.

It was obvious from the get-go that the Falcons were over-committing to the run defense. It was a ridiculous mistake for Bevell to keep calling run plays on first/second downs in the first half. All he needs to be capable of is making the same adjustments during the first half that he ends up making in the second half. Does he have to talk to someone during the break who can tell him what to do?
    jdblack
    NET Starter

Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:25 pm
  • seahawk2k wrote:I would love it if we held the players as accountable as the coaches.

Same. Doesn't change the fact that if Bevell had called the first half the same way he called the second half, we'd have a score in the 40s and a win, though.
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:26 pm
  • justafan wrote:Thats what they do.They watch a play and if it doesnt work it was a bad call.They dont care why it doesnt work it was just a bad call.Its the easiest thing to cry about and takes no thought or time to rewatch the game again or check out all 22 and really paying attention.

Lol; it's easy to blame it, sure. Look at my points I just posted, though. You going to say it wasn't a giant factor in our loss today? Really? Lay out your case against it, then. I anxiously await it.
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:28 pm
  • Yeah, the execution level didn't change at all. It was all playcalls.

No game has ever been perfectly called. My issue was with execution in the first half, not the playcalling. But then again, I haven't spent all year villifing Bevell like a lot of you.
    seahawk2k
    NET Veteran

Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:30 pm
  • They called that sequence once the first half of this game.Execution,the turnover,poor blocking,poor tackling,a terrible sack and not getting a yard with 2 attempts cost us that first half not running 2 times in a row on the first series.Players have to make the plays to win these big games.
    justafan
    NET Veteran

Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:30 pm
  • Jesus Christ, I didn't say execution level didn't change at all. It definitely did, too. However, some of you are blatantly ignoring a consistent weakness in regards to our play-calling.

Ignoring Marshawn for a couple 4th-and-1 attempts is genius play-calling, then? :roll:
    Last edited by RolandDeschain on Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:31 pm
  • TDOTSEAHAWK wrote:Apparently he was run blocking and tackling in the first half for us though....

This does not change the fact that Bevel is an idiot.
    GeekHawk
    US Navy ET Nuc

Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:31 pm
  • The playcalling was called in that manner to set a physical tone and then wear down the small Falcons defense later in the game. This has actually worked many times this season, the Dallas/Jets and bears games come to mind and it worked again today, they were gassed in the second half.

And he actually called a lot of deep shots in the first half, it just wasn't open.
    seahawk2k
    NET Veteran

Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:33 pm
  • GeekHawk wrote:
    TDOTSEAHAWK wrote:Apparently he was run blocking and tackling in the first half for us though....

An idiot who orchestrated four touchdown drives in the second half and more than 400 points on the season.
    TDOTSEAHAWK
    NET Veteran

• We love a scapegoat in Seattle.
    theENGLISHseahawk
    NET Veteran

• That was the first time all season that Robinson didn't get the first down on a short yardage play and it was because Giacomini missed his block.
    seahawk2k
    NET Veteran

Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:34 pm
  • seahawk2k wrote:That was the first time all season that Robinson didn't get the first down on a short yardage play and it was because Giacomini missed his block.

Remember not executing run blocks is Bevell's fault for calling a run.
    TDOTSEAHAWK
    NET Veteran

Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:35 pm
  • seahawk2k wrote:The playcalling was called in that manner to set a physical tone and then wear down the small Falcons defense later in the game. This has actually worked many times this season, the Dallas/Jets and bears games come to mind.

And he actually called a lot of deep shots in the first half, it just wasn't open.

That makes sense pre-game, but it only works if the run is not going so completely shutdown as it was today because they were over-committing to run defense. Bevell needed to adjust quicker, as soon as he saw how the defense was consistantly lining up.
    jdblack
    NET Starter

Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:36 pm
  • RolandDeschain wrote:Ignoring Marshawn for a couple 4th-and-1 attempts is genius play-calling, then? :roll:

You think Lynch would have gotten the 1st down? In his worst game of the season to boot?
    Watch the play again, even at his best Beastmode would have been gobbled up there, we failed to get that through poor blocking, not poor running back play.

Though, with that said, the Falcons had been stopping the run well all game, I'd have went for a play action pass/designed roll-out
    themunn
    NET Veteran

Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:38 pm
  • TDOTSEAHAWK wrote:
    GeekHawk wrote:
    TDOTSEAHAWK wrote:Apparently he was run blocking and tackling in the first half for us though....

An idiot who orchestrated four touchdown drives in the second half and more than 400 points on the season.

What makes me call him an idiot is the fact that this keeps happening in the second half, after he gives up and puts the game on Wilson's shoulders instead of his own playcalling. I can see this happening a few times, but should have been corrected by himself long ago. Idiot...
    GeekHawk
    US Navy ET Nuc

Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:39 pm
  • Bevell's biggest issue is that he should be a lot better than he is. His play calling can be totally boneheaded when he has to think on the fly, and at times it can be incredible when he has a plan put together. Im not a big fan of his play design, but he is so hot and cold you just want to smack the guy when he seems to be in a rut.
    AbsolutNET
    * NET X's & O's Guru *

Next

It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:24 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information