Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Darrell Bevell, you're an idiot.

The Essential Online Seattle Football Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Re: Darrell Bevell, you're an idiot.
Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:43 pm
  • AbsolutNET wrote:Bevell's biggest issue is that he should be a lot better than he is. His play calling can be totally boneheaded when he has to think on the fly, and at times it can be incredible when he has a plan put together. Im not a big fan of his play design, but he is so hot and cold you just want to smack the guy when he seems to be in a rut.

THIS. Except, most of his cold spots are in the first halves of games, and the hot ones are in the second halves.
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *

Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:49 pm
  • AbsolutNET wrote:Bevell's biggest issue is that he should be a lot better than he is. His play calling can be totally boneheaded when he has to think on the fly, and at times it can be incredible when he has a plan put together. Im not a big fan of his play design, but he is so hot and cold you just want to smack the guy when he seems to be in a rut.

I really dont know what it is anymore. I'm yet to see any evidence that the Seahawks cant do whatever they want, really, offensively. I understood, but disagreed, keeping things simple the first 7 weeks. And...I lost my train of thought.

I'm too discouraged.
    @ryanadamdavis
    pehawk
    NET Pro Bowler

Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:53 pm
  • Darrell Bevell is doing a great job and I hope he continues to do a great job for this team. Last thing Russell Wilson needs is a different coordinator every year.
    theENGLISHseahawk
    NET Pro Bowler

Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:56 pm
  • theENGLISHseahawk wrote:Darrell Bevell is doing a great job and I hope he continues to do a great job for this team. Last thing Russell Wilson needs is a different coordinator every year.

Yes. This last point is the most important. I hope Bevell/Wilson/Cable stay together for at least 2 more seasons.
    Driver of the PC/JS Super Bowl wagon since 2010
    Sherman looks like a ballet master in grand jeté –
    a trash-talking, dreadlocked Baryshnikov suspended
    impossibly above the turf – pro football's paean to
    wanton human destruction slips into the sublime.
    TDOTSEAHAWK
    NET Veteran

Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:58 pm
  • It took us too long to figure out that we did more harm than good by trying to protect Russell by relying heavily on the run. Earlier in the season that ended up putting us in these razor close games where there was even MORE pressure on the kid to try and lead a game winning drive, which he often did (when the defense wasn't busy allowing the opposition to come back with their own game-winner).

It also takes Bevell too long, in-game, to realize when his initial plan isn't working and it's time to just put it in Russell's hands and let him make plays. That was the story of this game.

I understand why on both accounts. We've had success running the ball, and Russell is a rookie QB. But it's not the run that makes us dangerous it is Russell Wilson.

I think Bevell wants to justify his paycheck and be cute and my uneducated opinion is that the offense is far better when the ball is in Wilson's hands and he can choose to throw, scramble, or bolt from the pocket.

Use the read option and the run for sure if it works right off the bat or if we have a lead. But I think we should have a hair-trigger to switch to the all-Russell-mode offense and I think Bevell isn't quick enough on the draw there and it hurt us this year and in this game.

EDIT: I'm not saying we should switch OCs, just what my criticism of Bevell is.
    hawk45
    NET Veteran

Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:59 pm
  • I have to wonder if Bevell was distracted from his game planning for this game by all the head coaching overtures? Is it fair to wonder that?
    brimsalabim
    NET Veteran

Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:05 pm
  • hawk45 wrote:It took us too long to figure out that we did more harm than good by trying to protect Russell by relying heavily on the run. Earlier in the season that ended up putting us in these razor close games where there was even MORE pressure on the kid to try and lead a game winning drive, which he often did (when the defense wasn't busy allowing the opposition to come back with their own game-winner).

It also takes Bevell too long, in-game, to realize when his initial plan isn't working and it's time to just put it in Russell's hands and let him make plays. That was the story of this game.

I understand why on both accounts. We've had success running the ball, and Russell is a rookie QB. But it's not the run that makes us dangerous it is Russell Wilson.

I think Bevell wants to justify his paycheck and be cute and my uneducated opinion is that the offense is far better when the ball is in Wilson's hands and he can choose to throw, scramble, or bolt from the pocket.

Use the read option and the run for sure if it works right off the bat or if we have a lead. But I think we should have a hair-trigger to switch to the all-Russell-mode offense and I think Bevell isn't quick enough on the draw there and it hurt us this year and in this game.

EDIT: I'm not saying we should switch OCs, just what my criticism of Bevell is.

You beat me to many of the points I was going to make. Great minds think alike? LOL
    I think we'll see them really let Russ loose sooner next year. Sure hope so.
    hawksfansinceday1
    NET Ring Of Honor

Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:11 pm
  • I'm alright with Bevell staying, ***IF*** he can learn to be AGGRESSIVE from the beginning with his play-calling. I seriously question his ability to do this, however.
    RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *

Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:17 pm
  • I think I'd be just fine with losing Bevell. Or, if that would hurt continuity, if we kept Bevell but just sewed his mouth shut. We have to be honest about what Bevell's WAR would be. He did great in Minny with an all-world OL, AP, and Brett Favre. I'm supposed to believe that's all Bevell? He did great in SEA with a Cable-led OL, Lynch, and all-world rookie QB Russell Wilson. I'm supposed to give the Lion's share of credit to Bevell?

I mean come on, who doesn't think that a simple OC who just sprinkled in runs and read options early, then switched to all-Russell mode quickly if that didn't work out, would do just as good or better than Bevell? I'm being dead serious. The OC can be a weapon when they make the offense diverse, I think Russell's multi-tool arsenal does that all on his own better than Bevell can.

That's where I am on this one.
    hawk45
    NET Veteran

Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:19 pm
  • ATL did a superb job of shutting down the run in the first half, forced us to be one dimensional, and covered well. We outcoached them in the 2nd half with superior adjustments, but it just wasn't enough to overcome that 20 point deficit enough to hold the win. Bevell did what he should have, attacked a weak run defense, unfortunately, they were better prepared than anyone expected.
    pinksheets
    NET Veteran

Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:20 pm
  • hawk45 wrote:I think I'd be just fine with losing Bevell. Or, if that would hurt continuity, if we kept Bevell but just sewed his mouth shut. We have to be honest about what Bevell's WAR would be. He did great in Minny with an all-world OL, AP, and Brett Favre. I'm supposed to believe that's all Bevell? He did great in SEA with a Cable-led OL, Lynch, and all-world rookie QB Russell Wilson. I'm supposed to give the Lion's share of credit to Bevell?

I mean come on, who doesn't think that a simple OC who just sprinkled in runs and read options early, then switched to all-Russell mode quickly if that didn't work out, would do just as good or better than Bevell? I'm being dead serious. The OC can be a weapon when they make the offense diverse, I think Russell's multi-tool arsenal does that all on his own better than Bevell can.

That's where I am on this one.

Word.

But what do I know? I loved Bates.
    @ryanadamdavis
    pehawk
    NET Pro Bowler

Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:22 pm
  • brimsalabim wrote:I have to wonder if Bevell was distracted from his game planning for this game by all the head coaching overtures? Is it fair to wonder that?

No.
    theENGLISHseahawk
    NET Pro Bowler

Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:25 pm
  • pinksheets wrote:unfortunately, they were better prepared than anyone expected.

It's the playoffs. You expect an O-coordinator to adjust quickly when you unexpectedly fail.
    RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *

Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:28 pm
  • RolandDeschain wrote:
    pinksheets wrote:unfortunately, they were better prepared than anyone expected.

It's the playoffs. You expect an O-coordinator to adjust quickly when you unexpectedly fail.

I'm with you.

I was ready to post a new thread, but I'm not an Xs and Os type smart football guy, so I'm worried to get dismissed/owned within a post or two. But why the feck are we always losing the first half? Granted, it's not really always, but against good teams, we're always sitting here saying "the second half adjusments will save us". Why aren't we going into the game with a better approach than our opponents? We can still make second half adjusments to better our chances, but we'd be better off than making them to save our lives. Past 2 games have shown opposing teams ability to score on us and stop our offense with ease right off the bat, we can't be so reactionary if we're going to control a game.
    pinksheets
    NET Veteran

Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:40 pm
  • pinksheets wrote:Bevell did what he should have, attacked a weak run defense, unfortunately, they were better prepared than anyone expected.

I can agree with that, but only for the first series, and even then it is questionable. Atlanta was putting 8 or 9 in the box. Bevell sees that, he should immediately dial up Wilson's arm. It's not like we have a bad passing game - it is arguably BETTER than our running game. I cannot fathom the decision to keep running the ball when our guys were outnumbered up front.
    jdblack
    NET Starter

Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:46 pm
  • jdblack wrote:
    pinksheets wrote:Bevell did what he should have, attacked a weak run defense, unfortunately, they were better prepared than anyone expected.

I can agree with that, but only for the first series, and even then it is questionable. Atlanta was putting 8 or 9 in the box. Bevell sees that, he should immediately dial up Wilson's arm. It's not like we have a bad passing game - it is arguably BETTER than our running game. I cannot fathom the decision to keep running the ball when our guys were outnumbered up front.

Well what bothers me is how good our 2nd half adjustments to be, yet we don't make any of these until...the 2nd half. Let's fix our crap earlier.
    pinksheets
    NET Veteran

Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:51 pm
  • No need for headlines like this today. Today we lost, but you can't be down. What a season! What a QB!
    salamander
    NET Rookie

Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:51 pm
  • I think... that Lynch is actually too good and we rely on him too much, but that said, I don't think HE had a poor game tonight, Atlanta simply

315 carries is a LOT, and I think it may have contributed to his fumbling towards the end of the season as his body was just not holding up as much as it usually would.

I mean, yes he was coming off of 5 straight games with over 100 yards, but it seemed pretty obvious after about 5 runs to me that the running game just wasn't working at all, and whilst i wouldn't suggest abandoning it, I'd have changed up from a run-first approach to a pass first, and when Atlanta were forced to play honestly and stop giving up those 15-20 yard passes in the middle, we could have run the ball down their throats again. Take that 4th quarter again for example, Wilson was passing all over the place, imagine we had called the plays like that in the first quarter, then after one of those big gains we just run Marshawn Lynch right down the middle and wear them out. Instead we did the exact opposite, we ran Lynch (which they expected) then were forced to pass (which they expected) and they snuffed it out.

I don't put that all on Bevell though, Carroll and Cable are absolute proponents of the run-first philosophy and I think they have some influence in not abandoning the run.

Lynch gained 46 yards on 16 carries in the end - and 11 of those yards came on one play... which he fumbled. So for the rest of the game Lynch was 35 yards on 15 carries. We should have abandoned it much much earlier than we did
    themunn
    NET Veteran

Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:52 pm
  • pinksheets wrote:
    jdblack wrote:
    pinksheets wrote:Bevell did what he should have, attacked a weak run defense, unfortunately, they were better prepared than anyone expected.

Well what bothers me is how good our 2nd half adjustments to be, yet we don't make any of these until...the 2nd half. Let's fix our crap earlier.

We also started to execute better. Not let the Falcons have 10+yards per carry and actually push their defensive line at the point of attack.

We seemed to have taken our BYE in the first half.
    TDOTSEAHAWK
    NET Veteran

Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:34 pm
  • The loss is not on Bevell but the SLOW start was as much to do with him as it was with the players. In the first half I don't know if they were trying to protect RW by not running him or if Lynch was hurting BUT we were not giving them option looks and opening up our offense.
    Bevell went ultraconservative not calling enough zone options in the first half but instead reverting to hammering Lynch against a stacked run defense. When we can't gain 1 MEASELY YARD in successive tries deep in their territory and when their defense continues to be able to read our run plays it's more than likely ourplaycalling.

It took Caroll to say 'we've got to call more option reads' at the half for Bevell to realize we've got to call more option/zone reads. The difference in the second half was not just that we came out passing but because we were willing to run the qb on option plays.
    I LOVE RW and he again shows how he NEVER QUITS. We are never out of a game with him. Same as it was at Wisconsin. Same as it was at NC State.

To say the comeback was Bevell's orchestration is RIDICULOUS. Wilson made those plays and anticipated throws. And if Bevell was so good where was our offense in the first 30 minutes?
    Russ Willstrong
    NET Veteran

Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:08 pm
  • I wonder, did Seattle have the best offense in the NFL since week 8? I'd guess they did. If not, they are right up there.

Seattle has a VERY bright future on offense, and Bevell is a part of that future.
    kearly
    * Mr Random Thought *

Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:18 pm
  • I'm no coach, but it seems to me that if you score 4 Touchdowns on the Road, it's not the Playcalling that lost the game.
    Follow me on Twitter: @BadGuy711
    BadGuy711
    NET Practice Squad

Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:30 pm

Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:54 pm
  • seahawk2k wrote:Yeah, the execution level didn't change at all. It was all playcalls.

No game has ever been perfectly called. My issue was with execution in the first half, not the playcalling. But then again, I haven't spent all year villifing Bevell like a lot of you.

No, but you've probably spent the whole year defending him. There's never been a perfectly executed game by the players, some thing you "coach apologists" need to realize. Both coordinators today crapped the bed with the play calling, and some players did today too. Just because you may be little juniors pee wee coach doesn't make all coaches infallible.
    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

May the spirit of our friend The Radish live on forever!

I SO do not care about your fantasy team and who's on it!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:57 pm
  • BadGuy711 wrote:I'm no coach, but it seems to me that if you score 4 Touchdowns on the Road, it's not the Playcalling that lost the game.

It is when you score ZERO points in the first half..... you going to defend Bradley too???
    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

May the spirit of our friend The Radish live on forever!

I SO do not care about your fantasy team and who's on it!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:57 pm
  • Mjolnir wrote:Too harsh.
    Some of the design plays are excellent. They are built around Wilson's strengths nicely. The offense didn't really lose this game. Our defense mostly did.

no, not adjusting to the lock box EARLY was huge, its an easy escape and they often run that formation anyways

its like they were taunting Atl to stop Lynch with 7-8 in the box, seriously?

C'MON MAN
    GO HAWKS!!!
    Twisted
    NET Veteran

Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:03 pm
  • So, Wilson has his best passing game of the year and Bevell is to blame? I don't understand our fans sometimes.
    FargoHawk
    NET Veteran

Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:09 pm
  • Offensive coordinator and defensive coordinator both bug me, but I don't think I want either of them gone, I just agree with the sentiment that they need to learn to adjust quicker.

Seems like they're stubborn to a fault sometimes with sticking to the original game plan, and that's just not going to cut it week by week, but I can't pin this entire loss on those guys, and I think they deserve some more time here.

I'll have to the final year of the rebuild, year 4, and see how things go, before I start making harsh judgements. Next year really is put up or shut up for the coordinators though, I think.
    bellingerga
    NET Veteran

Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:13 pm
  • I used to be severly down on Bevell. But that was like 10 or 11 games ago now. We've really become one of the top offenses in the league. How can we really be so bent on a few individual plays here and there? I've really changed my tune towards Bevell throughtout the year personally.

And even when I was down on him, I always thought you already better have someone you think would be better and that you think you can get in line because it could definitely get worse. But like I say, I like where we are at now.
    Shane Falco
    NET Veteran

Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:31 pm
  • My opinion of him has eased up quite a bit in the last 8 weeks as well, but the first half tonight was a major regression on his part.

I know plenty of players made mistakes that could have made the difference. Like Wilson failing to throw it away/intentionally ground at the end of the half, costing us a field goal. That is an understandable mistake that any rookie or veteran (like Brady giving a safety) could make under pressure.

The thing that set Bevell apart tonight is that his coaching decisions span whole quarters, and he had plenty of time to think to think about the next series while the Hawks defense was on the field. I don't think he should be fired unless a stud OC is lined up, but he needs to be made aware of his weaknesses/failings so that he can improve on them (if that is practical for someone as veteran as he is). There is no excuse for his decisions tonight.

I suspect he thinks too much of himself, and too little of Wilson.
    jdblack
    NET Starter

Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:36 pm
  • everyone here is an expert C'MON PETE are you reading this ? send me a PM if you want to hire me !
    m0ng0
    NET Veteran

Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:36 pm
  • Sports Hernia wrote:
    BadGuy711 wrote:I'm no coach, but it seems to me that if you score 4 Touchdowns on the Road, it's not the Playcalling that lost the game.

It is when you score ZERO points in the first half..... you going to defend Bradley too???

So if we had scored 2 in the first half and 2 in the second half he would be an acceptable playcaller? Im no Bevell fanatic, but my point was that 28 Points on the Road in the Playoffs should have won the game. A terrible playcaller would have netted us 0-14 Points. Lets not throw the baby out with the bathwater here.
    Follow me on Twitter: @BadGuy711
    BadGuy711
    NET Practice Squad

Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:49 pm
  • This is a dumb thread. We came back on the road against a very good team. Offense and Defense had there ups and downs during the game. It was a great game and as fans I think we should enjoy the fight that the team showed. There is no need to start threads calling out anyone on this team.
    strohmin
    NET Veteran

Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:49 pm
  • BadGuy711 wrote:So if we had scored 2 in the first half and 2 in the second half he would be an acceptable playcaller?

No. If Bevell called the game exactly as he did, BUT RW had thrown 2 60+ yard passes for 2 TDs, then yeah I would still say that he was a liability, and that those imaginary TDs were made in SPITE of his playcalling.

Counting the numbers of scores is way too simplistic. I think his play-calling was poor because he insisted on running a tired Marshawn into a wall of 8-9 defenders repeatedly. One definition of insansity is performing the same action over & over and expecting to get different results.
    jdblack
    NET Starter

Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:50 pm
  • To m0ng0 and those like him, I'd say we nearly won today despite Bevell, not because of him. Seriously, look at his play-calling in the first half of today's game AND last week's game, compared to the second halves of those games. Stop jabbering senselessly and go watch the tape and give it an honest appraisal.
    RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *

Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:05 pm
  • RolandDeschain wrote:To m0ng0 and those like him, I'd say we nearly won today despite Bevell, not because of him. Seriously, look at his play-calling in the first half of today's game AND last week's game, compared to the second halves of those games. Stop jabbering senselessly and go watch the tape and give it an honest appraisal.

I think in this case we will have to agree to disagree. I rewatched the first half and actually thought Atlanta's front 4 played one hell of a game. Babineaux in particular. They were getting penetration and really making it hard for our run game to get going.

On that note, yes play-action passing works but it only works if the threat to run is real. If we just gave up on the run and made it less of a threat - Zach Miller would not have had such a great game. So despite what many think - a run that goes nowhere sets up a play-action pass later on. That is what people do not understand I feel - iif the LBs don't bite hard - those plays don't work. And trust me, if we don't run it - they won't bite.

What is more is that we actually moved the ball well in the first half. No our best half but it wasn't poor by any stretch. 2 redzone appearances and a fumble by Lynch at the 40-ish. So despite what everyone is saying about our first half - I thought the play-calling was fine for the most part. We moved the ball and only had a single 3 and out in the so-called rush rush pass formula previously stated. The only problem is that we scored no points - which was an issue last week as well.

I would implore you to chart the first half and you will see that it isn't as bad as you are thinking. Moreover, the second half was absolutely glorious.

I think we forget the 3 and out days of just two season ago.
    TDOTSEAHAWK
    NET Veteran

Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:09 pm
  • At the end of the day - I don't know how a rookie QB gets the rookie play-off passing yardage record in spite of his offensive co-ordination. I think the credit is a little lopsided there. Clearly, Bevell and Cable have created an offense the Wilson can excel in. In play design and the creation of an offensive philosophy - I think Bevell is by far a top-5 co-ordinator these days.
    TDOTSEAHAWK
    NET Veteran

Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:13 pm
  • well if you don't make adjustments that allow you to adjust you will lose games like these, every time, unless however you flop as hard as the Seahawks did today, then yea, even teams like the Falcons can advance.. ;)
    GO HAWKS!!!
    Twisted
    NET Veteran

Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:19 pm
  • Bevell adjusts well in the second half, he needs to stop starting so blandly. All Russell Wilson has done is prove he can handle a pass-heavy offense in the second half of almost every one of the past 10 games; but still, today, we bash our heads against the wall in the first half. *sigh*

@TDOT: Compare the average number of plays it took us to get a 1st down in the 2nd half of today's game and last week's, compared to the first halves of those games, and you'll see what I'm talking about. (Including how long it took our offense to march the field.) Looking at straight first/second-half yardage totals does not give the whole story.

Simply put, 2nd half = en fuego, 1st half = yawn.
    RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *

Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:42 pm
  • RolandDeschain wrote:Bevell adjusts well in the second half, he needs to stop starting so blandly. All Russell Wilson has done is prove he can handle a pass-heavy offense in the second half of almost every one of the past 10 games; but still, today, we bash our heads against the wall in the first half. *sigh*

@TDOT: Compare the average number of plays it took us to get a 1st down in the 2nd half of today's game and last week's, compared to the first halves of those games, and you'll see what I'm talking about. (Including how long it took our offense to march the field.) Looking at straight first/second-half yardage totals does not give the whole story.

Simply put, 2nd half = en fuego, 1st half = yawn.

Yeah but I think that you don't realize that the second half of both of those games are mind-blowingly efficient and the first halves are average. The second half of those games aren't slightly above average and the first half are league worst. I think you have to check your frame of reference. If you compare to our second half in both games you are literally comparing to the NFL equivalent of perfection (i.e. Wilson's y/a was more than 10 for the game)- and if I can have a co-ordinator that can achieve perfection in road play-off games for extended periods of time - I am quite quite happy.

Moreover, the difference has more to do with our sluggish East Coast Road starts and lack of execution than the play-calling. Or at least from watching the film and seeing our offensive line getting blown up tells me that this premise has some weight. To say that play-calling was the only reason for the difference in the halfs is at best terribly myopic and at worst an outright (albeit unintentional) fabrication made due to some unrealized bias that can't be argued against because a proper control can't be created.

You can basically forever say that it was the play-calling and have absolutely no fear of anyone proving that you are wrong because we can not play the game again with different outcomes. At the same time, however, you can never actually prove that you are correct in any reasonable fashion and thus a argumentum ad ignorantiam is created.

For the life of me, I can't understand how we can have the most highly efficient offense in the entire league and people still blame the co-ordinator because not every play works. I can entirely understand if we scored three points and looked like the Jets - but we didn't - with a rookie QB in a road play-off game.
    TDOTSEAHAWK
    NET Veteran

Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:46 pm
  • TDOT, this happened in a variety of games in the regular season, too. We beat the Patriots, but they were up on us by 13 in the first half. Hell, most of the GOOD opponents we faced, and even some of the bad, (Jets; remember, we were scared for almost the whole first half of that game; go re-watch it) too. We have been more bland in our play-calling and much better with it in the second half. The second-half improvements CAUSE the much better offense, it's not some magical "second-half mojo" that creates these great offensive second halves we've had. How do you think Atlanta had such a dominant set of TDs against us in the first 3rd of the game? They sure as hell weren't banging their heads against any wall our defense was trying to put up. They kept taking shots at Sherman and Browner that rarely worked, but they didn't overdo it, causing 3-and-outs.
    RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *

Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:20 am
  • Second half improvements?

So why did we go on a huge long run of scoring on our first possession this season?

There's always got to be someone to moan about hasn't there? We've seen some incredibly creative play calling this year - read-option, pistol, play action, trick plays. We've also seen some conservative stuff, but why is anyone surprised by that for a run first team? Our rookie QB has set records, our running game has dominated most of the time.

It's basically been one long year of success. And to not give the offensive coordinator any respect for that is laughable.
    theENGLISHseahawk
    NET Pro Bowler

Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:46 am
  • Personally, I think we can do better. We could also do worse? Probably. I like Jeremy Bates. If he had the personnel and wasn't
    a headcase ???
    Michael Dickson, P, Texas: 2018 Adopt a Probowl Rookie
    Atradees
    NET Veteran

Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:17 am
  • ***Wrong thread*** Oh dot net... time to leave the boards for awhile...

...let all the dummies make their ridiculous threads, only to disappear until next season.

See you soon .netters that actually have something worth while to say! Super excited about the draft, time to reload and get ready for another run.
    Last edited by SouthSoundHawk on Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Go Hawks.
    SouthSoundHawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:05 am
  • yea, Falcons are first rate world beaters, they sure proved that in the second half... lol

like I said, Seahawks wasn't the only team with bonehead coaches out there today..

sure they'll do real well against the Niners or the Pats...

hilarious, Atl would own the record for the most consecutive opponents with total meltdowns in post season play...

nah, no gonna happen...

thats a good one though... "but they were playing a good team" LOL Atl got "great" by playing a total of 3 teams that finished OVER .500 this year, yup, that'll do it... lol, if nothing else I can get some laughs here during the off season...
    GO HAWKS!!!
    Twisted
    NET Veteran

Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:09 am
  • BadGuy711 wrote:
    Sports Hernia wrote:
    BadGuy711 wrote:I'm no coach, but it seems to me that if you score 4 Touchdowns on the Road, it's not the Playcalling that lost the game.

So if we had scored 2 in the first half and 2 in the second half he would be an acceptable playcaller? Im no Bevell fanatic, but my point was that 28 Points on the Road in the Playoffs should have won the game. A terrible playcaller would have netted us 0-14 Points. Lets not throw the baby out with the bathwater here.

28 points would probably have won us the game if we'd scored 14 in the first half and 14 in the second half.
    However, ineffective offense in the first half meant the defense was on the field much longer than they should have been, and you can swing it any way you like but that was almost certainly a factor in giving up big plays by the end of the first half.
    themunn
    NET Veteran

Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:28 am
  • This is probably the worst thread made today.

The Seahawks had close to 200 yards of offense in the 1at half. A Marshawn Lynch fumble, Pete not taking the pts on 4th and 1 and Russell taking a sack is the reason the Seahawls didn't score a pt in the 1st half. Bevell is HARDLY the idiot here.

Besides, the defense absolutely crapped the bed in the first half (even Sherman gave up a huge TD pass). And in the end it was the defense that failed the team.

People can blame coordinators all they want this game, but I put most of this on the players simply not making plays and instead making mistakes.

Lynch fubmle
    Russell taking a sack
    Chancellor out of position
    Earl Thomas getting trucked by Rodgers

We need to stop acting like the players are robots and perform their duties perfectly, and that the only reason they fail is because the coordinators put them in a bad position. Horse crap. The players were simply getting outplayed in the 1st half by the other team and compounded the problem by making some big mistakes. Also, the coach that had the worst day was Carroll, not any of the coordinators.

All that said, this is a young team and they will undoubtedly only grow from this.
    cesame
    NET Veteran

Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:41 am
  • cesame wrote:This is probably the worst thread made today.

The Seahawks had close to 200 yards of offense in the 1at half. A Marshawn Lynch fumble, Pete not taking the pts on 4th and 1 and Russell taking a sack is the reason the Seahawls didn't score a pt in the 1st half. Bevell is HARDLY the idiot here.

Besides, the defense absolutely crapped the bed in the first half (even Sherman gave up a huge TD pass). And in the end it was the defense that failed the team.

People can blame coordinators all they want this game, but I put most of this on the players simply not making plays and instead making mistakes.

Lynch fubmle
    Russell taking a sack
    Chancellor out of position
    Earl Thomas getting trucked by Rodgers

We need to stop acting like the players are robots and perform their duties perfectly, and that the only reason they fail is because the coordinators put them in a bad position. Horse crap. The players were simply getting outplayed in the 1st half by the other team and compounded the problem by making some big mistakes. Also, the coach that had the worst day was Carroll, not any of the coordinators.

All that said, this is a young team and they will undoubtedly only grow from this.

100% spot on.
    theENGLISHseahawk
    NET Pro Bowler

Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:26 am
  • I have had my issues with Bevell, but most of them have been squashed since the Chicago game. Now it's just a play or two a game that I scratch my head on. The two that pop to mind are the Lynch fumble in the Skins game (I called run left to Marshawn before the play) and the 4th down call yesterday (I called Robinson before the play). Those are plays you play action and put your mobile QB on the move to make a play with his arm or his legs. My early issues were an extremely conservative offensive gameplan, that I think Pete basically said that was on him trying to keep things simple for Russell to ease him in. That being said, I think we need to do everything possible to keep Bevell around for another year, maybe two. We are on the cusp of something great here, and I don't want to risk any possibility of screwing it up by putting Russell through what has stunted the development of so many young QBs--no continuity of offensive scheme. Now I know Russell is special and he learned the system at Wisconsin and here quickly, but I think if he stays in the same system for a couple years he will be down right scary. After that, he'll become his own OC, ala Peyton Manning.
    Seanhawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:13 am
  • for 7/9 drives after the first possession, the Seahawks moved the ball on every possession to the Falcons side of the ball..

the first drive ended with Marshawn fumble at the 40 (which was a first down)
    EDIT: 38 yd drive ended with a punt at midfield
    ended on the 4th and 1 at the 11-12 yard line
    ended with the sack at the half
    TD to start the 2nd half
    TD to cut the lead to 27-14
    TD to cut the lead to 27-21
    punt at midfield after getting one first down
    TD to give us the lead 28-27 with 31 seconds left

I can't fault the play calling or the game plan or in game adjustments.. one 3 and out the whole game and that was the first possession of the game and were down 3-0.. 4 plays later we pick off Ryan and were driving till the fumble

Where can I find Seahawks98.com???
    Barthawk
    *Bacon Eating Crusader*

PreviousNext

It is currently Sat May 26, 2018 8:20 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information