Three years ago today, the Hawks destiny took a turn

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
Three years ago today, Pete Carroll was officially hired by YOUR Seattle Seahawks.

Looking back, there was considerable consternation and angst associated with the perception that a certain VERY successful "RAH RAH"-type college coach, howbeit with some (mediocre) NFL coaching experience, was a bad hire because that style would not cut it in the NFL... remember that?

Fortunately for us all, that perception has been essentially erased.

It would be fun to be able to go back and read all of the comments in the thread that announced Pete's hiring.

From Wiki... On Januany 8th, ESPN's Chris Mortensen reported that Pete will be the new coach of the Seahawks "so long as "minor details" are finalized in the pending contract."

Thank goodness they were. :th2thumbs:

Fox0r

Reaction score
What day was John Schneider hired? We need to make it a state holiday in Washington state.

pehawk

Reaction score
Ill hop on the sword here, my reaction was, "I liked this hire the first time, when it was Dennis Erickson".

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
No doubt, Fox... The Architect Day.

Dirty Bird

Reaction score
I still think that playoff win against the Saints saved his career. If we would have lost that game no doubt he would have been fired the following season.

OP
OP
onanygivensunday

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
Dirty Bird":3398hmlg said:
I still think that playoff win against the Saints saved his career. If we would have lost that game no doubt he would have been fired the following season.
You couldn't be further from the truth.

That's just plain nonsense.

It was YEAR ONE of his contract.... seriously, you're wrong on this one... way wrong.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
Dirty Bird":3lnz31v5 said:

Errrrr.... No.

AF_Hawk

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":1cil9auf said:
This move will prove to be the best decision ever made by this franchise.

This. Considering the amount of turnover this franchise saw the days, months, years following this turnaround has been amazing!

sc85sis

Reaction score
The "consternation" wasn't nearly as bad as when USC hired him. Heritage Hall received literally thousands of emails, faxes and letters from people threatening to stop going to games, stop contributing and generally exclaiming what a horrible hire it was. A couple of years later those same people were busy partying on campus and in Exposition Park before game days as USC was into an amazing run.

Sounds kind of familiar doesn't it.

hawker84

Reaction score
Dirty Bird":22as9wtc said:

i'm confused here, are you an ATL fan or a Seahawk fan?.. not talking smack just curious. either way he would not have lost his job.

CANHawk

Reaction score
Dirty Bird":1a1olnhg said:

WE...?

SonicHawk

Reaction score
This was Pete's make or break year.

Looks like it's time for an extension.

drdiags

Reaction score
I think Dirty Bird's auto-correct picked we instead of he. Not sure why he figures a coach hired to turn around a team that just won 9 games in two years would have been fired after winning the division with a rag-tag team at 7-9 would have been fired the next year after going 7-9 a second time.

The ownership knows the cupboard was bare. They just got rid of a guy after 1 yr and was on the hook to pay him 12 mil. To turn around after yr 2 and fire a coach you owed 15 mil to would have been short-sighted. As a non-fan not knowing the lay of the land, I gather you can only listen to what the pundits say. There were those who put Carroll on the hot-seat if he was not successful this year. I don't think that is true but we will never know. Just like Bird's thought. It is speculation with no way to back it up, since it didn't happen. Allen would have to be quoted saying this was the case so we need to wait for the next book to come out.

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
Dirty Bird":14mhu19c said:

Silly comment - and you couldn't be more wrong. That was the end of Carroll/Schneider's first season, and a completely destruction of the roster was in progress.

It was always a minimum 4 year project regardless.

OP
OP
onanygivensunday

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
drdiags":25ga1t7w said:
I think Dirty Bird's auto-correct picked we instead of he. Not sure why he figures a coach hired to turn around a team that just won 9 games in two years would have been fired after winning the division with a rag-tag team at 7-9 would have been fired the next year after going 7-9 a second time.
Doc... Your response indicates you believe that the Hawks beat the Saints in the playoffs in Pete's 2nd season... but that's not the case... it was in 2010, which was Pete's 1st season as the HC.

2011 was Pete's 2nd season... and we didn't make the playoffs last year.

Jazzhawk

Reaction score
I was freaking STOKED when uncle Pete was hired. I LOVED it then, I loved it every day since then. Congratulations to Paul Allen for getting it right.

bryantology79

Reaction score
i was at the movies waiting for avatar to start when my buddy texted me about this...we were texting back and forth during those 3 long hours.

kearly

Reaction score
Dirty Bird":1q80jmz4 said:

I appreciate a good troll, but trolling only works well when you have your facts straight.

Latest posts