Atlanta against mobile QB's

Ozzy

Reaction score
I'm curious why this isn't brought up more. Atlanta struggles against the run and I expect Lynch to have a big day because of it. But Atlanta also gave up a 100 yards a game against Newton this year. Everyone wants to talk about their passing offense and its matchup with our DB's. Our running game against this defense seems to be the most lopsided matchup of the game and that tends to bode well for Seattle. If they can't stop Wilson or Lynch it makes our zone read packages and our play action even tougher to defend. This is getting surprisingly little talk on the board....

TJH

Reaction score
True, but they also did really well against Bob Griffin's running.

rideaducati

Reaction score
Seattle's offense as a whole is a great match up against the Failcons. Their offense vs. Seahawk defense is a wash.

OP
OP
Ozzy

Ozzy

Reaction score
Griffin got hurt in one of the games against them if I'm not mistaken?

I agree. We have favorable match ups at almost every spot on offense. Looking forward to Wilson have a big day.

12evanf

Reaction score
austinslater25":bt7u1hqc said:

I agree. We have favorable match ups at almost every spot on offense. Looking forward to Wilson have a big day.

Yeah they knocked him out with a concussion, Cousins came in and threw 2 picks and Washington lost the game in the 4th quarter.

Dirty Bird

Reaction score
What you failed to mention is that Atlanta struggles against big, PHYSICAL, mobile QB's such as Cam Newton. Atlanta can handle the smaller QB's. We held Robert Griffin and Mike Vick in check. Griffin only rushing for 7 and Vick for 42. I don't expect Wilson to be a problem.

12evanf

Reaction score
Dirty Bird":qu9qtgdn said:
What you failed to mention is that Atlanta struggles against big, PHYSICAL, mobile QB's such as Cam Newton. Atlanta can handle the smaller QB's. We held Robert Griffin and Mike Vick in check. Griffin only rushing for 7 and Vick for 42. I don't expect Wilson to be a problem.

Griffin didn't run out of bounds and took a big hit that may have cost them the game. Wilson is a lot shiftier than Griffin, if you're expecting the same type of quarterback play, you're in for a surprise.

lukerguy

Reaction score
First of all you need to delineate mobile QBs vs Read Option QBs.

He faced 3 mobile QBs all season- Vick, RGIII, an Newton.

-Vick is not a read option QB so we can cancel him out.
-RGIII is a read option QB, but they only ran it one time before he was concussed.
-Newton is a read option QB, and ran the play multiple times over the 2 games period- he averaged 100 ypg and they absolutely obliterated them between D.williams/Stewart, and Newton the read option run. Newton was also able to shred them in the air as a result of it's effectiveness.

Dirty Bird

Reaction score
12evanf":34ivt48k said:
austinslater25":34ivt48k said:

Yeah they knocked him out with a concussion, Cousins came in and threw 2 picks and Washington lost the game in the 4th quarter.
Yep, he tried to run into the endzone. What he didn't realize was how fast Sean Weatherspoon's closing speed was. Which is why he got knocked out.

rideaducati

Reaction score
Dirty Bird":1ri0n9x3 said:

Mike Vick's team was awful all year and Bob was knocked out early. The Falcons haven't faced Wilson yet and there is no comparison to him except Drew Brees. Brees did well...we shall see.

Navyhawkfan187

Reaction score
Dirty Bird":2kjp5f2b said:

Griffin ran ONCE before his concussion. The Eagles don't run much zone read stuff. Russell runs more like Cam than he does like Vick or Bob. The only difference is that Cam will truck a LB, Russ will throw a wicked pump fake and then break their ankles with a juke.

rideaducati

Reaction score
rideaducati":2clxx4lc said:
Dirty Bird":2clxx4lc said:

Mike Vick's team was awful all year and Bob was knocked out early. The Falcons haven't faced Wilson yet and there is no comparison to him except Drew Brees. Brees did well...we shall see.

except for the 6 picks anyway.

Dirty Bird

Reaction score
12evanf":u8urm3rr said:
Dirty Bird":u8urm3rr said:

Griffin didn't run out of bounds and took a big hit that may have cost them the game. Wilson is a lot shiftier than Griffin, if you're expecting the same type of quarterback play, you're in for a surprise.
Like I said our D closes in fast. They can handle the shifty dudes. It's the one's that outmuscle them who cause the problems.

12evanf

Reaction score
Dirty Bird":26dedle1 said:
12evanf":26dedle1 said:
austinslater25":26dedle1 said:

Yep, he tried to run into the endzone. What he didn't realize was how fast Sean Weatherspoon's closing speed was. Which is why he got knocked out.

What your language, Big Brother is watching....

AF_Hawk

Reaction score
If we CAN establish the run with Lynch, Wilson or both then we control the game (he who controls the game, controls the clock). If we struggle I don't expect us to win a shoot out.

LudwigsDrummer

Reaction score
Dirty Bird":23dbpxdl said:

Wilson is going to be a big problem. Atlanta's run D is not as stellar as you think it is. As your team begins to sell out to stop Marshawn, the play action is going to hurt big time.

mikeak

Reaction score
Dirty Bird":sz4tl152 said:

This would make perfect sense if you tackled Cam and he demolished you. If you need a better picture of that I have a video coming up starring Lynch and I will air it for you at 1pm on Sunday.

The reason you guys did better with Vick and Griffin is because they run all over the place. It isn't because they were smaller right? You are going to get confused by RW's running out of the read option where he will run into big holes. Once you figure it out he will burn you for an accurate 50 yard pass down the field. Don't get confused of the missed bombs in the Redskins game pretty sure your turf will play very well into our hands

CaptainSkybeard

Reaction score
If the offense just does there thing they will score a decent amount of points. The game will be decided by whether our D can get a couple unexpected stops.

Reaction score
Wilson's running ability, coupled with a precocious sense of situation decision making, will be a difference in this game. And our ability to run against Atlanta fits into the base strategy to contain Atlanta's offense: keep Atlanta'a offense on the sideline. Eat up the clock. Strike when we can, score, no turnovers.

lukerguy

Reaction score
Dirty Bird":1go218kv said:

Go watch the 72 yard run by Newton...they didn't put a hand on him..As I mentioned in my earlier post. It has nothing to do with size or physicality..it has to do with the system.

I will write this post again as it seems everyone ignored it but it is the truth of the matter..no reason to debate:

First of all you need to delineate mobile QBs vs Read Option QBs.

He faced 3 mobile QBs all season- Vick, RGIII, an Newton.

-Vick is not a read option QB so we can cancel him out.
-RGIII is a read option QB, but they only ran it one time before he was concussed.
-Newton is a read option QB, and ran the play multiple times over the 2 games period- he averaged 100 ypg and they absolutely obliterated them between D.williams/Stewart, and Newton the read option run. Newton was also able to shred them in the air as a result of it's effectiveness.