Fun fact about the Atlanta Falcons in the playoffs

kearly

Reaction score
The Falcons should change their name to the "Kingmakers." Every team that has played Atlanta in the playoffs during the Matt Ryan era has not only won, but eventually went on to reach the Superbowl.

In 2008, they lost to the Arizona Cardinals, who went on to reach Superbowl XLIII and nearly won it.
In 2010, they lost to the Green Bay Packers, who went on to reach Superbowl XLV and became NFL champions.
In 2011, they lost to the New York Giants, who went on to reach Superbowl XLVI and became NFL champions.

Twisted

Reaction score
may as well start a trend if you ask me... lol

tomahawk

Reaction score
hai":hgaxyu75 said:
Wow, i would be so sad if i was a Falcon's fan knowing that fact.

I would guess most Falcons fans are painfully aware of this stat.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Kearly, you should try your hand at prognostication. Make a big write-up predicting what you think will happen, like your post-game random thoughts posts.

Falcan Moore

Reaction score
tomahawk":6sidef5g said:
hai":6sidef5g said:
Wow, i would be so sad if i was a Falcon's fan knowing that fact.

I would guess most Falcons fans are painfully aware of this stat.
Very much aware of it. We always play the hot team at the wrong time for us...and you guys look to be that team. You're the matchup I fear most on paper, but luckily for us, the 2012 Falcons are capable of beating any team with the new set of coordinators. It'll be tough. And I'll root for you guys to win it if we fail.

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":3vdnizul said:
Kearly, you should try your hand at prognostication. Make a big write-up predicting what you think will happen, like your post-game random thoughts posts.

It would be a kiss of death. I'll pass.

This is the most unpredictable game of the year. We have no idea of Seattle will blitz or not, if they'll get pressure or not, and pressure could very easily decide the outcome.

I am feeling more confident as the game nears. Based on how that's worked out for me in the past, everyone should start getting worried.

HansGruber

Reaction score
Those were all really strong destiny teams. Like they were winning, but getting all kinds of lucky breaks. Packers got into the playoffs on a bad call in the Vikes game. Giants barely squeaked in but were playing lights-out on a hot streak.

Thing is, if they lose, ownership has gotta be thinking about a new coach. They run an outdated offense. The last decade has definitely favored defense and strong run game versus pass-heavy vertical offenses. Green Bay beat Pittsburgh by forcing turnovers on defense and a fairly conservative offense. New Orleans won through the air but has been dismal since, thanks to a weak defense.

There is so much parity in the NFL now that only the best-balanced teams win much in the postseason. Atlanta will only win through strong defense. They'll have to play better defense than San Francisco and Washington. Good luck with that.