Falcons Defense?

pehawk

Reaction score
Wow, I have no real bead on the Falcons defense. Nothing to base any type of opinion on. I'm lost more than usual on them.

Anyone have a comprable defense to compare them too? Are they small, big, physical, finesse? Anything?

Please help!

Sincerely,

Douchebag

Exar0s

Reaction score
We have a great rotation of DT's but only one true pass rusher in J. Abraham. Now Abraham is coming off an injury so who knows how well he will play come Sunday. Outside Abraham our only pass rushing "threats" are Kroy Biermann and Lawrence Sidbury. Biermann can be a game changer at times but Sidbury is a young finess pass rusher.

Our LB core is lead by Sean Wetherspoon who is a physical beast. Just ask RG3. Outside Spoon our LB'ers are "decent".

Our secondary is where we have excelled this year. Our Corners, Samuel and Robinson are both very physical corners who love to lay hard hits. Samuel is our ball hawking Corner who loves to jump routes. He does get beat on occasion but his playstyle is risk vs. reward. We will have Safety William Moore back for this game. He has missed the last 6 games with a hamstring injury. Moore is one of the more physical head hunting players in the league. The guy hits hard and plays great in coverage. Pro Bowl player when healthy IMO. Then we have Thomas DeCoud and Chris Hope. DeCoud arguable should have been a Pro Bowl player this year. Great ball skills (6 picks?) and doesn't miss many tackles.

The attitude in Atlanta has changed on defense this year with Mike Nolan as the new DC. Our TO differential is +13 (give or take) I believe. We do struggle with the run game which is good for Seattle. That being said Nolan knows Lynch is the man to stop. He will no doubt attempt to make Russell Wilson beat us through the air which would favor us.

Should be a great game.

Sac

Reaction score
lol at calling Asante Samuel "physical" and "hard hitting". Granted I haven't seen him play this year but the knock on him in Philly and NE was that he could cover but shied away from contact.

OP
OP
P

pehawk

Reaction score
Thank you!

I do loves me Asante. I like him lined across and with my team. For the Seahawks, Asante's risk taking can/should be exploited. If I was a Falcons fan, I'd love his risk taking.

As far as Nolan's gameplan, yeah, of course the plan is to stop Lynch. For 17 straight games that's been the plan. It doesn't work because the Seahawks offense is VERY, VERY, VERY underrated. I'm worried more about stopping the freakish amount of playmaking receiving threats the Falcons have, more than the Falcons defense stopping Seattle's offense. That's not homerism, the Seahawks offense is just good.

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
"He will no doubt attempt to make Russell Wilson beat us through the air which would favor us."

Keep on thinking that...lol. You all might be in for a surprise.

Of course, that is predicated on shutting Lynch down - which ain't gonna happen. Sorry.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
They're a small athletic finesse type defense that flies around and makes plays.........I think they're #9 or #10 in total defensive rank?

No pushover for sure.

OP
OP
P

pehawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":qtgzlole said:
They're a small athletic finesse type defense that flies around and makes plays.........I think they're #9 or #10 in total defensive rank?

No pushover for sure.

Really? Wow, yet another simularity to the 2005 Seahawks team.

Exar0s

Reaction score
SacHawk2.0":1jmadhig said:
lol at calling Asante Samuel "physical" and "hard hitting". Granted I haven't seen him play this year but the knock on him in Philly and NE was that he could cover but shied away from contact.

I would have said the same watching his highlights from other teams. Watching him play every down has been incredibly fun. The guy flings his body around like a rag doll and has indeed laid some very strong hits on opposing WR/RB's.

Falcan Moore

Reaction score
I'll do a writeup on the main guys.

Our defensive line is our weakest link, imho. On the edge, Abraham is the clear best rusher, and he was somewhat of a PB snub. Double digit sacks and 6 FFs, and constantly double teamed and held to a ridiculous degree. His best quality is his burst off the line, which he somehow retains despite his age. Biermann gets most of the snaps on the other side, and he's Nolan's trick card. He'll shift over to LB, even safety, playing a lot of different looks, because it allows for Nolan to bring overload blitzes and phantom pressure to confuse QBs. He's a high motor guy, but he's not extremely strong, so it's more an issue of how long it takes him to get to the QB. Won't give up, but he's not all that athletically gifted outside of being fast. At DT, Jonathan Babineaux is a very athletic DT, easily our best, and he'll stuff a few runs that otherwise would've gone for huge gains. He's constantly rated a top 3 DT despite never getting national recognition. Largely due to the fact that he's smaller and not terribly strong, I suppose. Our other main DTs are Vance Walker and Corey Peters, both of which are decent, Peters more of a pass rusher and Walker more of a run stuffer. We don't have any huge linemen, which has been sketchy for our run defense this season. We also have some good young DEs in Cliff Matthews and Johnathan Massequoi, but they don't seem to do much with their playing time. Not a big threat.

Our LBs are headed up by Sean Weatherspoon, who simply put is the best LB in the NFC South and one of the best OLBs in the NFC. He'll be all over the field, and he thrives under the spotlight, making most of his plays either on prime time or against big time opponents. Best run defending linebacker, even though he'll over-pursue occasionally and get caught off guard. Great in pass defense for an OLB. Stephen Nicholas is solid all around but he's been struggling more in pass coverage as of late. Dent is the weakest link, being there only in the 4-3 for the most part, so it's a good thing we play a lot of 4-2-5. He seems a bit lost as the Mike backer in some situations, especially against the read option, which bodes badly for us. Mike Peterson goes in occasionally too, and he's a trust old vet with a knack for big plays, but he gets burnt pretty often if he's in there too long. Big emotional leader though.

Our defensive backfield is possibly the most underrated in the NFL, and easily our best unit on defense. Allowing the least passing TDs in the NFL right now and they have a ton of interceptions and great depth. Really missing having Grimes, but everyone else has stepped up nicely. Our corners are all physical and like to lay wood on the receivers, largely spurred on by the energy Asante's brought. Asante has a pick six and several other interceptions, mostly in the spotlight. He likes to banter and get in other receivers heads. Had a reputation of a poor tackler before he came here but he's been smacking people around a decent bit now. Dunta Robinson's on the other side, and I'm sure he needs no introduction. Dude leads with his helmet too often, but he's an absolute terror for receivers across the middle. Great in the run game too. He can be faked out on some double moves, which is annoying, but he's a very solid tackler which more than makes up for it. McClain plays the slot better than anyone we've ever had, and he loves to make hits in the run and pass game too. Owens is our 4th CB, used to suck but now he's great as a backup on the outside or matchup on the 4th wideout. Glad he's stepped up - more often seen in special teams though. William Moore is our strong safety, and this guy is a freaking hammer. You like Kam, right? Watch some of this guy's hits. He can stop RBs dead in their tracks, big as they might be, and he does it all while playing clean. Just absolutely destroys receivers. Great acceleration. He runs through you. Good ballhawk too with 4 INTs with 5 games missed. DeCoud's on the other side, and he's a PB snub if I've ever seen one. Ballhawk who always gets his hands on the ball, guaranteed for a PD or two a game and a pick perhaps if you're lucky. 6 INTs on the year. Not as big of a hitter in the run game but he's fairly stout.

FOGHORN

Reaction score
pehawk":2oabenv1 said:
Sgt. Largent":2oabenv1 said:

No pushover for sure.

Tied for 4th in takeways at 31. With the current Seahawks team. And allowed fewest passing TD's in the NFL as well.

OP
OP
P

pehawk

Reaction score
Good stuff Moore, very appreciated.

What concerns you in the Seahakws offense vs Falcons defense match-up?

Hawksfan78

Reaction score
It looks like a bend but dont break mentality. Atlanta's Defense has given up 5849 yards (almost 1000 yards more then Seattle) but average 18.7 points per game.

Exar0s

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":17m55x46 said:
"He will no doubt attempt to make Russell Wilson beat us through the air which would favor us."

Of course, that is predicated on shutting Lynch down - which ain't gonna happen. Sorry.

I mean no disrespect towards Wilson obviously. I'm simply stating our secondary is our strongest unit on defense. I would much rather see Wilson dropping back for a pass then Lynch running wild. Our secondary has forced many turnovers and Abraham if healthy will have Wilson scrambling.

BlueTalons

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":m8ggnxnq said:

Yep...play with fire and get burned. But more like playing with a flame thrower in dynamite factory.

MANUNITED23

Reaction score
If falcons D doesn't get to Russell it will be a long day for Atlanta. I believe it will be the case on Sunday.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
pehawk":24hahh0e said:
Sgt. Largent":24hahh0e said:

No pushover for sure.

Yeah it's a good comparison to the Holmgren Hawks teams..............dynamic offense to get out in front, then the defense pins their ears back and gets after the QB when the other team has to throw to catch up.

The difference is we have;

- RW that can buy an extra 2-3 seconds to burn a blitzing defense
- Pounding run attack and stout defense that shouldn't allow the Falcons to get out in front by enough for their defense to be all that effective

hawker84

Reaction score
"I mean no disrespect towards Wilson obviously. I'm simply stating our secondary is our strongest unit on defense. I would much rather see Wilson dropping back for a pass then Lynch running wild. Our secondary has forced many turnovers and Abraham if healthy will have Wilson scrambling".

God if i had a dollar for every time i've read this from apposing fans, i swear.. how many times have i heard this , this season. ah yes that would be 17 times.. how many times has it worked for the apposing teams... that would be 0.... trust me the last thing you want to see is RW dropping back or rolling out and getting into a rhythm in the passing game..

Exar0s

Reaction score
hawker84":2iwsm060 said:
"I mean no disrespect towards Wilson obviously. I'm simply stating our secondary is our strongest unit on defense. I would much rather see Wilson dropping back for a pass then Lynch running wild. Our secondary has forced many turnovers and Abraham if healthy will have Wilson scrambling".

God if i had a dollar for every time i've read this from apposing fans, i swear.. how many times have i heard this , this season. ah yes that would be 17 times.. how many times has it worked for the apposing teams... that would be 0.... trust me the last thing you want to see is RW dropping back or rolling out and getting into a rhythm in the passing game..

I never said anything about him getting in a rhythm. I would prefer seeing him tossing interceptions to be honest. I'm not from Seattle and haven't seen Wilson play many games outside the recent Washington game. He was good but didn't show me anything we haven't seen this year. Now Lynch on the other hand I have seen take over a game. Just so happens his strengths are our weakness. So yes, I would MUCH rather see Wilson dropping back.

We're just fans though so our opinions don't cont for much. The best team will win Sunday either way. Let's just hope for an injury free game. And a Falcons victory . . . . .

OP
OP
P

pehawk

Reaction score
For what its worth, Wilson easily played his worst game since week 7 last week. Not even close. He made up for it with some key running plays, and a few clutch throws. But, what you saw last week is not Russell Wilson. Given the type of QB he is, and how he attones for mistakes, he will come out sharp Sunday.

Falcan Moore

Reaction score
pehawk":lxd6imdi said:
Good stuff Moore, very appreciated.

What concerns you in the Seahakws offense vs Falcons defense match-up?

Easily the matchup of our defensive line against your offensive line, mainly in terms of the run game. Your line is a group of maulers, and DVOA has them ranked at #3 in run blocking. Our defensive line is mainly athletic guys who can't get huge push up the middle, particularly in the DT area. In other words, if you run right at us, you'll be able to do very well unless we crash the line with mike blitzes and overloads to collapse the interior and force Marshawn to reverse direction. I know he's fast as well, and he can absolutely demolish bad tacklers, so that could be bad for us - on the other hand, our corners and safeties are really stout in the running game, so I'm hoping you try to run it outside the tackles more, even though it's very unlikely, seeing as Carroll will have studied our weaknesses. The read option with a draw up the middle to Marshawn will likely eat through our defense in a hurry.

There is a good probability that we employ the 3 DT look we used on Philly and TB, the one that I feel Nolan has been keeping under wraps so as not to give away our hand...with it, we were much better in the run game. Personally, I'm just banking on our athletic guys being able to get around your bigger guys. Who's the weakest link on your OL? If he's matched up with Babs, they better double team him. Spoon is fast, and he'll likely be spying Wilson anyways, so he might play a bigger factor in the run game while William Moore covers the TE. We'll see on Sunday.

Hawksfan78":lxd6imdi said:
It looks like a bend but dont break mentality. Atlanta's Defense has given up 5849 yards (almost 1000 yards more then Seattle) but average 18.7 points per game.

Very much so. We're great at getting teams to around the 30 and then smacking them around, making them get a FG (or nothing at all). Nolan has been able to dial it up against every good team we've faced so far this year - at least, the teams we expected to be toughest. Had 20+ point leads on the Broncos, Giants, and Philly (who we thought were invincible on the road after a bye week at the time), Dallas was a bit sketchy, WAS was full of missed opportunities. Should've won it by 3 TDs if the football gods were good to us, but at least we won it. That said, Seattle's offense is no picnic, they're probably one of the most underrated in the league. We'll have our hands full.

MANUNITED23":lxd6imdi said:
If falcons D doesn't get to Russell it will be a long day for Atlanta. I believe it will be the case on Sunday.

Honestly, this is what I'm least concerned about. Russell is freaking good. Top 5-7 in the league, right up with Ryan, Brees, and Griffin. So don't take this as bashing him...it's just that our DL hasn't gotten to anybody all year, but we're still 1st in passing TDs allowed (higher than you guys), we're tied for fifth in interceptions (higher than you guys), we've allowed the 5th worst QBR to QBs (two spots under you guys), all while facing a statistically superior set of passing offenses than you. Our DL has 29 sacks. That blows.

I'm not even saying our pass defense is better than yours. It's definitely top 5 in the league, though. Our run D is what has me concerned.