How many super bowls..?

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
How many Super Bowls will it take for the Seahawks to be one of "those teams"? You know the ones. The teams that are consistently talked about in the national media. The ones who are given a legitimate chance at the beginning of every year no matter how good or bad they have been playing as of late.

I don't really care about the disrespect, real or perceived that the Seahawks generally get. Even when they are good, like now, the response is something along the lines of, "oh look at the nice things that team from Seattle is getting lucky with." I really don't care, one way or another. I just find it interesting and a little humorous.

There really is a built in bias in the league towards teams who have won multiple Super Bowls. The east coast bias is real, however I think that the "past success" bias trumps the east coast bias. East coast teams that have not been part of the perceived power elite, will still get more press than the Seahawks, but they are not automatically elevated to superior status by virtue of their past success alone.

I believe that 1 Super Bowl victory will get you some recognition in future years. New Orleans is living off of their victory and will probably get another 10 years of elite-ish recognition without another. A team that has 2 Super Bowl victories will vault into the upper middle class of league respectability. I would suggest to all, that without the built in east coast geographical connection, a team would need to have 3 Super Bowl victories to permanently put themselves into the national psyche.

So because of location in the pacific northwest, the Seahawks will need to win 3 Super Bowls before the respect card can even begin to be thrown out. But like I said, I don't care. The Seahawks are my team and I will always love them. With each successive Super Bowl Championship, the rest of the country will begin to see what we have all been seeing, the best team in the league, bar none!

Rainger

Reaction score
I dont care about national recognition. I want a SB every year but right now I just want 1. After 1 any more will take care of themselves.

FOGHORN

Reaction score
As a Falcon fan, one in my book. If you seek validation through the respect of others you will come away disappointed. If the Seahawks win one, but aren't respected by the media does it make it any less special? Or the Seahawks any less a champion? I think not.

I know if/when the Falcons win one I will be so ecstatic the media/Falcon haters will be the so low on my "totem pole of cares" they will be spitting sand.

LawlessHawk

Reaction score
You truly know you're one of the "it" teams when you can go on an 8 year run of complete suckage, yet you still pull 2 or 3 Monday Night games, 2 or 3 Sunday Night games and a couple other nationaly televised games every season.

hawker232

Reaction score
rainger":3h7f9h4c said:
I dont care about national recognition. I want a SB every year but right now I just want 1. After 1 any more will take care of themselves.
:13:

CANHawk

Reaction score
It took New England 3. They were considered complete and total dog shit when I was in high shcool. they were the WORST team in Tecmo Super Bowl.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Let's get the first one before we start talking about Dynasties.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
LawlessHawk":1jbrx5es said:
You truly know you're one of the "it" teams when you can go on an 8 year run of complete suckage, yet you still pull 2 or 3 Monday Night games, 2 or 3 Sunday Night games and a couple other nationaly televised games every season.
Or be the Dallas cowboys that have had one playoff win since 1997. The Hawks have been a much more successful team then Jerry's kids but are get a lot less national games and in Vegas their "futures bet odds" of winning the Super Bowl are always lower!

If the NFL "allows" Seattle to win a Superbowl, it will take 2 within 4 years to be considered up there amongst the favs.

Shock2k

Reaction score
Giants have won 2 with Manning and still get no respect. Green bay has won 1 with Rogers and get's all the respect in the world.

The country is fickle.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
It takes more than Super Bowl, IMO. You need to change the game while doing it. I think Seattle is set up to do so with their monstersaurus secondary.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
Respect for an NFL team on a national level is all about year-to-year consistency and fielding a team that has a realistic potential to go to the Superbowl every year. A consistent regular season W/L record of at least 10-6 is indicative of this potential. Also, the team must have had some recent success in the playoffs.

That's my definition.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
Applying my definition, clearly in the NFC, the Packers, the Saints and the Giants have national respect.

Atlanta, not so much due to their Playoff woes. And the Bears, not so much as well due to their inconsistency and Jay Culter being the whiny b!tch that he is.

In the AFC, I'd go with the Patriots, the Stealers, and the Ravens.

Teams approaching this standard include the 49ers, the Texans and the Broncos (due to Manning and their D).

Seattle is a team that is giving indications that they can achieve this standard. Whether they are able to achieve year-to-year consistency to my standard remains to be seen. I personally believe that they can, and will.

therealjohncarlson

Reaction score
Shock2k":24t2hj5m said:
Giants have won 2 with Manning and still get no respect. Green bay has won 1 with Rogers and get's all the respect in the world.

The country is fickle.

Because one of those teams has been extremely consistent these past few years, and has arguably the best QB in the NFL. The other team has been watching the entire playoffs from it's players' couches this year.

CANHawk

Reaction score
onanygivensunday":lo2z4jwp said:
Respect for an NFL team on a national level is all about year-to-year consistency and fielding a team that has a realistic potential to go to the Superbowl every year. A consistent regular season W/L record of at least 10-6 is indicative of this potential. Also, the team must have had some recent success in the playoffs.

That's my definition.

And they need to be good in Madden.

CaptainSkybeard

Reaction score
The giants have the least respect of any team that has won two superbowls recently. Probably because they got in with a sub-par record and all that. Then they couldn't even make it back to the playoffs the next year. Makes them look like a fluke.

You don't have to win it every year, but you have to get at least one and be contending for one every year.

Does anyone remember the Buccaneers winning? Doesn't that sound strange now?