Jerry Jones thinks his team should beat us at home

The Essential Online Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. RATING: PG-13
  • Jerry Jones:

"When we had all of our talent level, we've got to be able to beat Chicago at home and we've got to be able to go to Seattle and win that game there. We know they're formidable. We know Seattle had a good football team and I don't think we underestimated Seattle at all when we played them. But if you're going to have to get to where we want to go you have to go into Seattle and win games in Seattle."

So to him a "good" team should be able to beat us in the CLink? Really? So I guess he thinks NE, GB, SF, Minn, all playoff teams this year, must suck!
    kmedic
    NET Veteran

• Heh. We tried that already. Something tells me the results would be just as bad in the giant home theater down there.
    World Champion Seattle Seahawks football. It's an addiction, and there is no cure.
    Les Norton - gone but never forgotten. Rest in blue and green peace, my friend.
    Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *

• :sarcasm_off: He forgot to use this.
    FOGHORN
    NET Practice Squad

• It means he knows our team kicks some serious butt :D
    docj78
    NET Rookie

• I think you're reading a little too far into that.
    hawksfan515
    NET Veteran

• I take it as a compliment guys. Hes saying what people say in the AFC. If you want to be a good team, you have to go into foxburough and beat Tom Brady.

He just proclaimed, that going to Seattle, is one of the hardest things a team can do. And to be good, you have to beat us first. I take that as a compliment.
    hawksincebirth wrote:So Russell has leverage but marshawn doesn't ? I thought its next man up. Hey we got t jack and bj Daniels right ??
    Cartire
    NET Veteran

• Cartire wrote:I take it as a compliment guys. Hes saying what people say in the AFC. If you want to be a good team, you have to go into foxburough and beat Tom Brady.

He just proclaimed, that going to Seattle, is one of the hardest things a team can do. And to be good, you have to beat us first. I take that as a compliment.

:13:
    Tru2RedNGold25 wrote:Us as Niners fan have every right to rep Niners all day everyday when we have the hardware to back it up do can u guys say that???

2013 Adopt-a-rookie: #humblethug
    2014 Adopt-a-rookie: Kevin Norwood
    razgriz737
    NET Veteran

• How 'bout he just worry about consistently winning all his games on his home field as a good start to getting to where he wants to go...

"Everyone has a plan... until they get punched in the face." -- Mike Tyson on the 2014 Seattle Seahawks.
    LawlessHawk
    NET Veteran

• Yea, i'm pretty sure he's complimenting us.
    JSeahawks
    * NET Moderator *

• Yup. That right there was a HUGE compliment. We're a known commodity now. We're one of those teams by which other teams get judged. The national disrespect is going away. Enjoy it boys and girls. It's been a helluva long time coming.
    Radish, check your PMs. Man upstairs has an invite for a tail gate up in heaven with your name on it.
    CANHawk
    * Gangnameister *

• The context of this statement was in regards as to why he fired Rob Ryan. Pretty tough standard for the next defensive coordinator: you better beat Seattle in their house or expect to get canned!
    kmedic
    NET Veteran

• To be the best, you gotta beat the best.
    San Fransisco. Still partying like it's 1981.
    Mistashoesta
    NET Veteran

• Smartest thing Jones has said in a long time.
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*

• It's a compliment...
    @SeahawkGreg

"I will be thrilled with 10 wins.... If we win 14 games, I will tattoo my nuts green and blue!" --13thMan
    FlyingGreg
    * Master Chief *
    * Master Chief *

• Yea, I guess on second read, it's more like "we knew what we were getting into when we played Seattle and we still got our asses handed to us." I'll take that compliment.
    World Champion Seattle Seahawks football. It's an addiction, and there is no cure.
    Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *

• kmedic wrote:The context of this statement was in regards as to why he fired Rob Ryan. Pretty tough standard for the next defensive coordinator: you better beat Seattle in their house or expect to get canned!

He said "To be where we want to be you have to beat Seattle..."

You think Jerry wants to be "good"? He wants his team to be the best in the world. To be the very best team in the world you have to be able to beat Seattle.

Too bad he sucks as an owner so he'll never get what he wants.
    JSeahawks
    * NET Moderator *

• Yeah, you guys have convinced me its a compliment upon a closer look.
    kmedic
    NET Veteran

• Man this is a huge backhanded compliment. Think about it, of all the teams he could talk about he is saying if the COWBOYS want to be a GOOD team the have to beat Seattle in their house.

Man that is him saying he thinks we are a top team and his team will not arrive until they beat us in our house, which they did not do.

Smile everyone JJ just said the Hawks are great team.
    Member of 38 Plus club. Seahawks + PC/JS + Russell Wilson = Superbowl XLVIII +
    rainger
    NET Veteran

• As kmedic said, this was his reasoning for firing Ryan. Jones could have come up with something better than that.
    taz291819
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*

• And that is why the Cowboys suck...He actually believes that he has the more talented team.
    rideaducati
    NET Veteran

• JSeahawks wrote:
    kmedic wrote:The context of this statement was in regards as to why he fired Rob Ryan. Pretty tough standard for the next defensive coordinator: you better beat Seattle in their house or expect to get canned!

He said "To be where we want to be you have to beat Seattle..."

You think Jerry wants to be "good"? He wants his team to be the best in the world. To be the very best team in the world you have to be able to beat Seattle.

Too bad he sucks as an owner so he'll never get what he wants.

He's a good owner; he's super committed, not afraid to spend money and pimps his team every chance he gets. No, Jerry's problem is that he's a HORRIBLE general manager. If he really wants to be a great team, he'll park his big stupid ego, stop trying to pretend he's some kind of bigshot football guru and hire a real GM to handle his football team.
    Radish, check your PMs. Man upstairs has an invite for a tail gate up in heaven with your name on it.
    CANHawk
    * Gangnameister *

• Oh Jerry, your so silly!
    Blitzer88
    * NET Eeyore *

• We would have smoked the Cowpokes
    60 percent of the time..........it works........every time
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran

• Jones is not complimenting the Seahawks... imo.

He's talking them down... as if he says "My team does not lose to the lowly Seattle Seahawks... no way, no how, never."

Yet, they did... and now that loss to the Hawks is being used by Jones to justify his firing of Rob Ryan.

Go back and re-watch that game, or... go and familiar yourself with the game summary and stats.

We had a recovered fumble and a blocked punt that put us ahead to start.

Ryan's defense did not lose that game, imo.

It was turnovers by Dallas' offense that changed the game.

Admittedly, Seattle's running game did well against Ryan's D... but the Hawks did that to most everybody.

I''m not a fan of the Ryan Brothers... far from it... but for Jones to cite the Seahawks game as one of the two reasons that he fired Rob Ryan... well, that's just flat out an unreasonable and indefensible position to take, imo.
    your Superbowl XLVIII Champion Seattle Seahawks.. how sweet is that!!
    onanygivensunday
    NET Veteran

• At that time, losing to the Seahawks, who had just lost to the Cardinals and were starting a rookie QB coming off a win over the defending Superbowl champs, I can see why that game stuck in Jerry's craw.

He is probably thinking that the Seahawks cannot sustain their current playing level and will revert back to a middle of the road team his Cowboys should beat, away and at home. Those are his demons. He still lives in the Jimmy Johnson era of the Cowboys. Every year pundits rate them atop the heap as the pre-season favorite to win the Superbowl. There is always a discussion of how great the talent is that the Cowboys have but yet they cannot consistently win their division.

Reading that statement, it can be looked at in several ways. But no matter what, until he gets his house in order, he is lucky they beat the Browns in their own house this year.
    Leon Washington 2010-2012 Red Bryant 2008-2013 Chris Clemons 2010-2013 Golden Tate 2010-2013
    Brandon Browner 2011-2013 Breno Giacomini 2011-2013 - Gone but not forgotten.
    R.I.P Les "PithyRadish" Norton 9/13/2014
    drdiags
    * The Doc *
    * The Doc *

• onanygivensunday wrote:Jones is not complimenting the Seahawks... imo.

He's talking them down... as if he says "My team does not lose to the lowly Seattle Seahawks... no way, no how, never."

Look at the other example he gives... travelling to Chicago and beating the Bears.

He's given two examples of probably the strongest homefield advantages in the NFC. It's a compliment
    themunn
    NET Veteran

• This is RESPECT!

We have become a team that people are mentioning they need to beat to get to the next level.
    Harbaugh is a lunatic and he'll either die on the sideline while trying to challenge the coin toss, or get into a filthy divorce from the 49ers that will end up with him getting $27 million a year from Michigan to fist fight the entire state of Ohio.

-- Some Random 49er Fan
    Jiggy
    NET Veteran

• Translation: Seattle is a great team and I love glory holes. We need more glory holes!
    dunceface
    NET Veteran

• dunceface wrote:Translation: Seattle is a great team and I love glory holes. We need more glory holes!

which side of the glory hole?
    morgulon1
    NET Veteran

• The key phrasing is when he said "you've got to be able to beat Seattle" instead of "you should have beaten Seattle." The former (which is what he said), implies that for Dallas to win it all, they first have to prove that they can beat the best (Seattle). The latter would infer that Seattle is inferior, which I don't think anyone left on earth still believes.
    kearly
    * Mr Random Thought *

• rainger wrote:Man this is a huge backhanded compliment. Think about it, of all the teams he could talk about he is saying if the COWBOYS want to be a GOOD team the have to beat Seattle in their house.

Man that is him saying he thinks we are a top team and his team will not arrive until they beat us in our house, which they did not do.

Smile everyone JJ just said the Hawks are great team.

probably has something to do with the fact that they played us this year. I'm guessing he doesn't pick our team for this quote if he doesn't play us.
    falcongoggles
    NET Veteran

• drdiags wrote:At that time, losing to the Seahawks, who had just lost to the Cardinals and were starting a rookie QB coming off a win over the defending Superbowl champs, I can see why that game stuck in Jerry's craw.

He is probably thinking that the Seahawks cannot sustain their current playing level and will revert back to a middle of the road team his Cowboys should beat, away and at home. Those are his demons. He still lives in the Jimmy Johnson era of the Cowboys. Every year pundits rate them atop the heap as the pre-season favorite to win the Superbowl. There is always a discussion of how great the talent is that the Cowboys have but yet they cannot consistently win their division.

Reading that statement, it can be looked at in several ways. But no matter what, until he gets his house in order, he is lucky they beat the Browns in their own house this year.

^This was pretty much my first interpritation of JJ's statement and I'm still tending to lean that direction. However, if there was any "compliment" that could be construed from what he said, I take it not as "To be the best you have to beat the best" because clearly we haven't been the best over time. I take it more as if you want to win in this league you need to be able to win IN Seattle. Whether Seattle's an 8-8 team or an 11-5 team, they don't lose at home. If there is one consistant "respect" that Seattle gets from the national media, other teams, insiders and opposing knowledgable fans is that Seattle is THE most difficult place to win in the NFL: Location, fans, fan noise, weather... what ever IT is teams don't come to Seattle and win very often and if you want to be good... that's the measuring stick if Seattle is on your schedule.

"Everyone has a plan... until they get punched in the face." -- Mike Tyson on the 2014 Seattle Seahawks.
    LawlessHawk
    NET Veteran

• Well, however we individually interpret Jones' statements, it sure makes me proud that our Hawks have the NFL-nation's attention.

Anybody seen or heard any 7-9 jokes lately? Sando? :rofl:
    your Superbowl XLVIII Champion Seattle Seahawks.. how sweet is that!!
    onanygivensunday
    NET Veteran

• You can take it either way you want. Doesn't matter - we're on the radar for better or worse now, and that's a good thing. (On paper, it reads more like a compliment. It could sound different when spoken.)
    Super Bowl Champions XVLIII

RIP Radish: Check your PMs. Upper right corner.
    Sarlacc83
    * NET Philistine *

• Jerry jones needs to realize he's going nowhere anytime soon until he replaces Romo and gets a good defensive and offensive line.... 70 million dollars worth of cornerbacks do not win superbowls, with 500 thousand dollar linemen.
    World Champs - Sounds good don't it
    hawker84
    NET Veteran

• I can only read JJ's comments as disrespectful to the Seahawks and besides it wasn't his D that let their team down it was O and ST.

I don't think Jerray was paying attention.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... d-defense/
    Last edited by jammerhawk on Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Until we develop a pass rush that will cause opposing teams to be forced to scheme to defend it we will never be able to completely take the final step. That was done and the final step was taken.

Super Bowl XLVIII Champions at last after 38 seasons.

What a special magical year!
    jammerhawk
    NET Veteran

• morgulon1 wrote:
    dunceface wrote:Translation: Seattle is a great team and I love glory holes. We need more glory holes!

which side of the glory hole?

Who knows with that old creep he probably plays both sides...with both hands
    dunceface
    NET Veteran

• Its true that if you want to be a superbowl team, you have to be able to go on the road and beat good teams. I think most teams would consider beating Seattle at home a badge of honor, showing that you are in fact a very good team. I think Jerry is saying that he wants and expects to have a team that can do that. Right now, he obviously doesn't.
    Missing_Clink
    NET Veteran

• How about they beat the skins at home on thanksgiving or in week 17 to go to the playoffs.
    Grahamkrackker253
    NET Bench Warmer

• By the way the cowboys are 1 win, 5 losses in Seattle since 2000 (including the playoff's, if I'm not mistaken) and the win was a close shootout, so winning in Seatte has probably become a personal "jones" for JJ (pun intended).

LawlessHawk
    NET Veteran

• LawlessHawk wrote:By the way the cowboys are 1 win, 5 losses in Seattle since 2000 (including the playoff's, if I'm not mistaken) and the win was a close shootout, so winning in Seatte has probably become a personal "jones" for JJ (pun intended).

Good point and well played, sir.
    dunceface
    NET Veteran

• Jerry Jones, the owner, needs to fire Jerry Jones, the GM.
    hawkfan68
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*

• hawkfan68 wrote:Jerry Jones, the owner, needs to fire Jerry Jones, the GM.

No, no, no, oh please no! You're doin' fine, Jerruh!
    Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *

• Really the statement should have been - not only does our defense has to beat Seattle and Chicago they need to overcome 10 pts scored against the offense / special teams and overcome 5 interceptions by our offense (chicago)

that is a high standard to set for your defense....
    mikeak
    NET Veteran

• Jerrah needed to sacrifice someone, and it was Ryan. Who else is he going to blame for his finesse team?

And that is what he said, in so many words. Beating us or Chicago at our houses is codespeak for laying a beat down on a physical team. It is a compliment, in years past he would have referred to a team like Baltimore or the Steelers for this analogy.

But, he fired the wrong guy. Or should have fired one more, plus himself. His HC gives up on the run faster than chinese food runs through me. And Jerrah himself has drafted a lot of guys who don't love physical play. It isn't a taught quality.
    SEAHAWKS.NET. We All We Got, We All We Need
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
    *Scott of Smacksville*

• This is clearly a compliment. The only people hwo would find issue in this are people who are looking to be offended.
    TJH
    *NET #1 Sherman Fan*

• mikeak wrote:Really the statement should have been - not only does our defense has to beat Seattle and Chicago they need to overcome 10 pts scored against the offense / special teams and overcome 5 interceptions by our offense (chicago)

This sentence makes my brain hurt.
    cboom wrote:Wilson is the worst QB I have seen as a Hawks fan. And I have been around long enough to see them all.
    HawksFTW
    * NET E-Knight *

• CANHawk wrote:
    JSeahawks wrote:He's a good owner; he's super committed, not afraid to spend money and pimps his team every chance he gets. No, Jerry's problem is that he's a HORRIBLE general manager. If he really wants to be a great team, he'll park his big stupid ego, stop trying to pretend he's some kind of bigshot football guru and hire a real GM to handle his football team.

^^ This.
    And the other comment that Jerry Jones the owner needs to fire Jerry Jones the GM.
    In MLB with no salary cap, George Steinbrenner could buy Yankees championships (some, anyway) by just buying up all the best talent money can buy.
    The Steinbrenner approach would be a miserable failure in the NFL. Jerry Jones is probably more capable than Steinbrenner, but Steinbrenner knew enough to hire real GM's.

Oh, Jerry, I hear Tim Ruskell could be available as your GM...
    olyfan63
    NET Veteran

It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:46 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information