Wilson can't even get a raise ?

The Essential Online Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. RATING: PG-13
Wilson can't even get a raise ?
Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:29 am

Re: Wilson can't even get a raise ?
Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:32 am
  • One of the lovely recent changes in the CBA...
    @SeahawkGreg

"I will be thrilled with 10 wins.... If we win 14 games, I will tattoo my nuts green and blue!" --13thMan
    FlyingGreg
    * Master Chief *
    * Master Chief *

Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:34 am
  • He'll get a nice birthday, x-mas, fathers day, etc....gift I'm sure.

Go Hawks.
    SouthSoundHawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:36 am
  • Not that I live there so I probably shouldn't really comment, but if he keeps doing what he's doing, the people of SEATTLE should be taking care of this guy until he gets paid. Russell Wilson should never have to pay for a meal, a drink, parking, gas, a hair cut, a coffee, a pack of gum, a movie... nothing. Businesses should comp him and say thankya, please never ever leave us.
    So you're admitting I'm a celeb...
    CANHawk
    * Gangnameister *

Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:36 am
  • Rather than having something happen which would be a CBA violation and cost Seattle picks/money, I'm sure Wilson is getting taken care of with endorsements. (See the Levi commercial, for instance.)
    Super Bowl Champions XVLIII
    Sarlacc83
    * NET Philistine *

Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:43 am
  • Does Russ have a paypal account? I'll kick him down some cash.
    Greenhell
    NET Veteran

Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:49 am
  • I wonder if he's allowed to do a microsoft endorsement, or if that's a no no.
    poop
    SacHawk2.0
    .NOT a Moderator

Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:51 am
  • Why worry, folks? You can't imagine that Wilson is going to feel stiffed by the team that gave him a chance to prove all the doubters wrong, can you?

Wilson's proven that he's the franchise QB the team was looking for, and when the CBA allows, you know this FO is going to take care of him (after all, they do seem to be pretty fond of the guy).

Super Bowl XLVIII Champions
    volsunghawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:52 am
  • Paul has nothing to do with Microsoft anymore, so I am sure he can. He will make his moolah on endorsements. He's already got a Nike deal. I am sure they are paying him more than his base salary in his contract. The farther he gets in the playoffs the more endorsements he'll pick up which will be the great "offset".
    R.I.P. Dad. I miss you. You will never be forgotten
    1/12/39 - 8/7/08
    SharkHawk
    * NET Alumni *

Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:57 am
  • This times 100 is how you take care of a player that is far outplaying the curreny contract that they have to honor.

GO HAWKS!!!

Sarlacc83 wrote:Rather than having something happen which would be a CBA violation and cost Seattle picks/money, I'm sure Wilson is getting taken care of with endorsements. (See the Levi commercial, for instance.)
    For those that choose to attend the temple "QWEST" bring your best and be LOUD.

The opposition has no hope!!
    12HawkFan
    NET Starter

Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:59 am
  • CANHawk wrote:Not that I live there so I probably shouldn't really comment, but if he keeps doing what he's doing, the people of SEATTLE should be taking care of this guy until he gets paid. Russell Wilson should never have to pay for a meal, a drink, parking, gas, a hair cut, a coffee, a pack of gum, a movie... nothing. Businesses should comp him and say thankya, please never ever leave us.

The guy already makes 3-6x what most people make, why would we pay for anything for him? I pay for his salary when I buy tickets and buy Seahawk gear. It's not like he's hurting at 350k a year plus bonus for playoff's and other things.
    CPHawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:00 am
  • Endorsement deals with Toughskins or Garanimals ?
    If They Pass On You, Pass on Them !
    Okungfu
    NET Practice Squad

Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:05 am
  • Sarlacc83 wrote:Rather than having something happen which would be a CBA violation and cost Seattle picks/money, I'm sure Wilson is getting taken care of with endorsements. (See the Levi commercial, for instance.)

This. No need to get him or the team in trouble. One of the reasons the bounty program was deemed illegal by the league (not just in the Saints incident) is that it in essence increased the players' pay and therefore had cap implications. I'm sure that when he's able to get a raise, he will get a gigantic one.
    MadSweeney
    NET Rookie

Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:07 am
  • Ummm, I know by NFL standards he's not making much. But there is no way in heck Wilson is hurting for money. The dude is already set for a long time, and my puny salary doesn't need to be going to him for anything. Sorry, but that's the reality.
    Jazzhawk
    * NET News Scoop *
    * NET News Scoop *

Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:08 am
  • Assuming his agent is smart, they included escalators in his contract based on performance and exposure.
    "Go for Broke" - 442nd Japanese-American Battalion

Shaun Alexander #37 for the HoF - 119 Games 2176 Att 9429 Yards 4.3 YPC 100 TDs (112 TDs total) 2005 MVP

"YOU POST...TO WIN...thethread." JesterHawk
    sammyc521
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*

Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:13 am
  • sammyc521 wrote:Assuming his agent is smart, they included escalators in his contract based on performance and exposure.

The rules changed. That's the problem. Old players felt they were getting cut because of the overpayment of young players who hadn't done anything. So.... they really can't do much. They are basically slotted in and that's that. They also can't renegotiate until after I believe his third year.
    R.I.P. Dad. I miss you. You will never be forgotten
    1/12/39 - 8/7/08
    SharkHawk
    * NET Alumni *

Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:20 am
  • Russell is making mega money every time he takes the field...he just won't see it for a couple years.
    Harperville
    NET Practice Squad

Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:24 am
  • CPHawk wrote:The guy already makes 3-6x what most people make, why would we pay for anything for him? I pay for his salary when I buy tickets and buy Seahawk gear. It's not like he's hurting at 350k a year plus bonus for playoff's and other things.

The dumbest arguement, ever.
    pehawk
    * Report Button *

Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:28 am
  • pehawk wrote:
    CPHawk wrote:The guy already makes 3-6x what most people make, why would we pay for anything for him? I pay for his salary when I buy tickets and buy Seahawk gear. It's not like he's hurting at 350k a year plus bonus for playoff's and other things.

You're welcome to pay for his haircuts and coffee and whatever else you like. It's your money do what you like player.
    CPHawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:29 am
  • pehawk wrote:
    CPHawk wrote:The guy already makes 3-6x what most people make, why would we pay for anything for him? I pay for his salary when I buy tickets and buy Seahawk gear. It's not like he's hurting at 350k a year plus bonus for playoff's and other things.

Yeah, no doubt. Okay, just watch him leave when his conrtact is up for whoever is the highest bidder. I mean, if it's only about the money right..?
    So you're admitting I'm a celeb...
    CANHawk
    * Gangnameister *

Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:43 am
  • i was wondering about browner, and with the bargaining agreement

where does shermann fit in..were we locked out when the draft happened or after the CBA

i just confused myself....Does Sherman fit in that criteria as well?
    zayden185
    NET Veteran

Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:50 am
  • CANHawk wrote:
    pehawk wrote:

Yeah, no doubt. Okay, just watch him leave when his conrtact is up for whoever is the highest bidder. I mean, if it's only about the money right..?

I've never heard him complain about money. For those forgetting, Allen is by far the richest owner in the NFL, and is willing to open up his wallet for players he wants. We won't get outbid for guys like Sherm and Russ.
    CPHawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:51 am
  • Luck 4 years 24 million 14 million dollar signing bonus

RG3 4 years 21 million 14 million dollar signing bonus

Russell Wilson 4 years $ 390,000

I just think its funny that's all
    Last edited by Okungfu on Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
    Okungfu
    NET Practice Squad

Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:51 am
  • RG3 cant jump over hurdles in subway commercials anymore, perhaps Russel will get the Subway endorsement instead?
    Axx
    NET Veteran

Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:58 am
  • He makes more than enough money, I dont feel bad for him. It isnt a gold digging contest, I dont care if he makes 5 million less than another player. He should be paying me, he doesnt have this job without fans in the world to create the opportunity.
    ----
    ensett
    NET Veteran

Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:01 am
  • ensett wrote:He makes more than enough money, I dont feel bad for him. It isnt a gold digging contest, I dont care if he makes 5 million less than another player. He should be paying me, he doesnt have this job without fans in the world to create the opportunity.

You'd be the first person whining if your peers made 10x what you were making, in same profession. Your posts reeks of jealousy "I don't make that much money, so no one should".

Gain perspective or talent and you'll see this differently.
    pehawk
    * Report Button *

Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:04 am
  • If Russ got more money he'd probably just donate it to the research that cures cancer or something.
    12evanf
    NET Veteran

Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:04 am
  • If I was whining despite making more than most people on the planet, Id be a worthless person.
    ----
    ensett
    NET Veteran

Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:07 am
  • ensett wrote:If I was whining despite making more than most people on the planet, Id be a worthless person.

Not the point. Point is ones market value. I'm not sure why, but ill never care what anyone gets or tries to get financially.
    pehawk
    * Report Button *

Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:22 am
  • Allen can just drop a few of his CEO buddies a note on who to get to do their commercials for now, and when the CBA allows, crack open the piggy bank.

As far as any of you dipsticks who fall back on how what he makes is a lot more than the average person, this is a guy who is creating a massive revenue stream for the Hawks with his talents. Millions of dollars are being made in TV ratings, jersey sales, etc, and if you don't think he deserves a chunk of that revenue because your sorry ass isn't rolling bank, you are a hateful turd.

The Redskins/Hawks tilt had a TV rating of 24, 7 points higher than any other game on the weekend. He had something to do with that. Russell is must see TV, and those 7 points were worth tens of millions in ad revenue. Rules are rules, and he can't get more money from the Hawks until the time has gone by, but Nike, Russell, Wilson, Cadillac, Yugo, and every other company in the world should be getting a little prod from ownership to bankroll this fella on the next ad campaign. He plays a violent game, and you never know what the future holds, so get him his chunk of the pie he is helping make right now.
    SEAHAWKS.NET. We All We Got, We All We Need
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
    *Scott of Smacksville*

Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:37 am
  • Yugo's Slogan

The Toughest most dependable car a little money can buy

Seems fitting
    Okungfu
    NET Practice Squad

Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:41 am
  • Wilson makes good despite how you all consider it below market value. It isn't as if before the new CBA GM's were renegotiating contracts after the first year because the didn't. Saying a guy who makes great money should be getting free stuff around town because he throws a football well is frankly silly.
    razor150
    NET Veteran

Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:41 am
  • How much did Levi's pay him. This guy will make a few mill next year without his checks from the hawks, don't cry to much for him. Any company would be happy to have him as their spokesman. I bet if he makes the super bowl he will have so many deals he will be up at 5 mill a year just off of those.
    CPHawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:01 pm
  • NFL Contracts do not limit a players earning potential.

Would I give the guy a free service if he called, sure. And I would try to exploit it for what its worth to me same as anyone in business. And if I had the money as a top CEO of a top company, I would love to do all I could as his fan to make sure his NFL contract didn't make him feel unwanted.

I admire Wilson less for football and more for his work ethic then anything else this kid does. It inspires me at almost twice his age because I have my own factors to overcome. His cliches are not cliches when put into the moment from his perspective. They are mantras that keep the perspective and sure they can sound corny and all that, but in order to be so calm under pressure it takes training your mind to look past how you feel and circumstances and gaining the perspective.

But for all that, I got to say that my business partners and others I end up working with are my heroes too. When someone doesn't have quit in themselves and overcomes mistakes and you can count on them to do better the second time around, that is always going to be valuable. The only limits anyone has are the limits they are going to settle for and believe. Wilson personifies this and I am sure he understands its this, no matter how much talent he has, that will bring into reality everything he puts on his list to accomplish and gain.
    madbohem
    NET Rookie

Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:10 pm
  • just from the sheer fact that Russell Wilson doesn't disappear from ESPN front pages and is quickly turning into a household name for mainstream America, you can all rest assured that he is pretty much all set for the rest of his life. he probably made more money from all the endorcements / commercials this year than most of us make with 10 years of hard labor and sleepless nights.

now it is just a matter of figuring out if he is going to bath in luxury until his death and / or if same would be true for his children and his children's children.
    Cheesehead Seahawk Extraordinaire
    Bipolar
    NET Veteran

Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:15 pm
  • 12evanf wrote:If Russ got more money he'd probably just donate it to the research that cures cancer or something.

I never got the impression he isn't a guy who likes nice things..
    therealjohncarlson
    NET Veteran

Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:22 pm
  • It's funny how they throw out the base salary but don't mention his signing bonus of over $600k which puts his total money paid to him this season at over $1 million. Sure he's a great value, but this is how the cap is designed, and the guy isn't going to go broke with his Million dollars this year, and another Million dollars plus over the next two seasons, not including any endorsements.
    kidhawk
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:36 pm
  • CANHawk wrote:
    pehawk wrote:

1. I doubt the Seahawks are stupid and will reward him big time when it's time for his next contract
    2. Even if they are having trouble coming to a deal, I think he would be franchised. I see no way if he keeps this up that he's not a Hawk.
    HawkRiderFan
    NET Starter

Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:42 pm
  • How about a 20mil xbox,windows,bing endorsement deal.
    kobebryant
    NET Veteran

Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:43 pm
  • Okungfu wrote:Luck 4 years 24 million 14 million dollar signing bonus

It is also funny to compare 4 year contracts of Luck and RG3 with the pure salary for one year for RW

RW's contract is $2.99million

Separately for those saying Allen won't be outbid. It isn't about spending the most. The issue is the CAP
    mikeak
    NET Veteran

Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:46 pm
  • kidhawk wrote:It's funny how they throw out the base salary but don't mention his signing bonus of over $600k which puts his total money paid to him this season at over $1 million. Sure he's a great value, but this is how the cap is designed, and the guy isn't going to go broke with his Million dollars this year, and another Million dollars plus over the next two seasons, not including any endorsements.

He is not broke but lets say he tears up both his legs next game - never plays again. Lets say RG3 never plays again

Whom would you rather be?.......... The fact that he can't resign would make many risk adverse towards the end of that 3rd year contract. Why run for first down when you are in week 14 of the third year and have $20 million / year waiting for you in 2 games......

RW would probably go for it but there are many out there that would be smart and honestly I would not blame them one bit. The rookie salaries needed to get under control but the veterans completely screwed the rookies. Flat out screwed them and if the rookies had any money in the bank they should have refused the draft / refused to sign under that CBA but they had no leverage and were out of time
    mikeak
    NET Veteran

Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:48 pm
  • Okungfu wrote:Luck 4 years 24 million 14 million dollar signing bonus

If he was 1 - 3/8 inches taller, maybe he woulda made that kinda money! His fault!
    As a musician and audio quality champion, Neil Young said in 2012, “Steve Jobs was a pioneer of digital music. But when he went home, he listened to vinyl.”
    twisted_steel2
    NET Veteran

Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:55 pm
  • mikeak wrote:
    kidhawk wrote:It's funny how they throw out the base salary but don't mention his signing bonus of over $600k which puts his total money paid to him this season at over $1 million. Sure he's a great value, but this is how the cap is designed, and the guy isn't going to go broke with his Million dollars this year, and another Million dollars plus over the next two seasons, not including any endorsements.

He is not broke but lets say he tears up both his legs next game - never plays again. Lets say RG3 never plays again

Whom would you rather be?.......... The fact that he can't resign would make many risk adverse towards the end of that 3rd year contract. Why run for first down when you are in week 14 of the third year and have $20 million / year waiting for you in 2 games......

RW would probably go for it but there are many out there that would be smart and honestly I would not blame them one bit. The rookie salaries needed to get under control but the veterans completely screwed the rookies. Flat out screwed them and if the rookies had any money in the bank they should have refused the draft / refused to sign under that CBA but they had no leverage and were out of time

Sure a player can not play his hardest, but how long do you think those players actually play in the league if they don't give a full effort? They will be replaced by vets who will go all out. If RW wasn't going all out, Matt Flynn would be starting and when RW contract expired, he'd get a little raise. By playing lights out, he earns that HUGE payday when his time comes. Also, players who don't play with full effort and aren't getting the playing time to go with it, won't get the endorsements to help offset those salary differences.

Perhaps the CBA has gone off kilter for a few of the younger later round players, but it alleviates the holdouts that used to come and huge paydays for guys who had never proven themselves worthy. Vets didn't screw these new rookies, guys like Jamarcus Russel screwed these rookies by eating up cap space without a proven value.
    kidhawk
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:57 pm
  • I got an "Endorsement" on my drivers license for motorcycle for the last 45 Years, and I ain't seen a penny yet, I'm starting to feel ripped off.
    scutterhawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:01 pm
  • Wilson is being paid the bargained wage and is neither a victim nor undeserving of the millions he is and will be making.

Fair wages, market value and deserve have nothing to do with this topic because the NFL does not have an open competitive labor market. Opinions about politics and how you might like to see this handled at your local small business or union shop are not relevant because the goals in the NFL are fundamentally different. The product is not the individual teams but the NFL as an entity, and that sets boundaries on the degrees to which teams actually compete with each other. That's why the teams support the salary caps and the rookie wage scales they collectively negotiated with the NFL players union.
    "Check out my 2012 NFL Draft Grades. I just gave the worst grade ever to Seattle." - WalterFootball.com
    AgentDib
    NET Veteran

Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:03 pm
  • ensett wrote:If I was whining despite making more than most people on the planet, Id be a worthless person.

Most people in America makes more money than most people on the planet but the typical employee in this country prefers to have their salary compared to that of their peers. So if you were making 10% of the guy next to you and you were doing 10 times the job he was doing and in fact he only did any work when you were out sick (backup) you would have no issue with this because billions of people in India, Africa and China were making less than you?
    mikeak
    NET Veteran

Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:07 pm
  • AgentDib wrote:Wilson is being paid the bargained wage and is neither a victim nor undeserving of the millions he is and will be making.

Fair wages, market value and deserve have nothing to do with this topic because the NFL does not have an open competitive labor market. Opinions about politics and how you might like to see this handled at your local small business or union shop are not relevant because the goals in the NFL are fundamentally different. The product is not the individual teams but the NFL as an entity, and that sets boundaries on the degrees to which teams actually compete with each other. That's why the teams support the salary caps and the rookie wage scales they collectively negotiated with the NFL players union.

The ONLY reason I disagree with you is because the rookies and future incoming classes were not at the barganing table. The CBA was negotiated by a union filled with existing players and therefore bargained to their own advantage to the disadvantage of rookies. It would be VERY interesting if some rookies would take this to court.

While I agree that the top 10 contracts were stupid (look at Bradford's) I think there is an issue with the new ones as well. Middle ground would have been good and some metrics in place to allow for some significant raises such as 5th rounder being a starter in more than 6 games automatic 25% raise, makes pro-bowl or something else like that x% raise etc. There is something to be said for those outplaying their contract.

Remember Eagles receiver last year Jackson - avoided all big hits then got a huge contract this year......
    mikeak
    NET Veteran

Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:21 pm
  • I think this is funny that everyone isn't putting the blame squarely where it belongs. On the players themselves.

After all its their vaunted Players Union who made this deal. The rule has been common knowledge right along that rookies after the top 10 drafts get so much and that's it for 4 years.

So let the players take care of that problem with their player reps.

And if he doesn't get hurt and knocked out of football you don't need to worry about the team taking care of him. They don't do business like that.

And think of the Redskins if this turns out to finish Griffin's career. They are on the other side of that deal, pay millions and get nothing. But I'd wager there are big insurance policys involved. And players can thank the Boz for thinking of his future that way and getting it covered.

:les:
    Getting ready for some football
    The Radish
    * NET Radish *

Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:21 pm
  • mikeak wrote:
    Okungfu wrote:Luck 4 years 24 million 14 million dollar signing bonus

It is also funny to compare 4 year contracts of Luck and RG3 with the pure salary for one year for RW

RW's contract is $2.99million

Separately for those saying Allen won't be outbid. It isn't about spending the most. The issue is the CAP

Those other two put 14 mil in the bank and are done , that's what's funny to me !
    Okungfu
    NET Practice Squad

Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:27 pm
  • twisted_steel2 wrote:
    Okungfu wrote:Luck 4 years 24 million 14 million dollar signing bonus

If he was 1 - 3/8 inches taller, maybe he woulda made that kinda money! His fault!

Lol agreed!
    Okungfu
    NET Practice Squad

Next

It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:57 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information