ATL vs. SEA Receiving Core

Shock2k

Reaction score
Ok, I’m a little annoyed with this silly argument about who has better receivers or a better passing game, with the only distinction that their players are named White and Jones and the fact they had more targets.

Since we are a rushing team (TOT: 404 Pass/att, 536 Run/att) as opposed to ATL (TOT: 615 Pass, 378 Run/att) it’s natural the totals are going to be skewed. But let’s look at our receiving core and see how they match up:

NAMERECTAREffYDSAVGTD20+20+%YACYAC%
Roddy White9214364%135114.771820%33825%
Sidney Rice508063%7481571122%16422%
[tdo=11]SEA-ATL WR#1[/tdo]

Julio Jones7912961%119815.2101722%45038%
Golden Tate456866%68815.371227%22132%
[tdo=11]SEA-ATL WR#2[/tdo]

Harry Douglas385964%39610.41513%14637%
Doug Baldwin294959%36612.63517%8122%
[tdo=11]SEA-ATL WR#3[/tdo]

Tony Gonzalez9312475%93010833%23625%
Zach Miller385372%39610.43718%13233%
[tdo=11]SEA-ATL TE#1[/tdo]

Jacquizz Rodgers535990%4027.6124%38796%
Marshawn Lynch233077%1968.5129%19499%
[tdo=11]SEA-ATL RB#1[/tdo]

The point being we have just as an effective receiving core as Atlanta does when you take away statistics that are skewed by how often the two teams Pass/Run.

skater18000

Reaction score
U could say the level of production from the ATL weapons is acquired because of how many opportunities they give those guys to make big plays.

HawksFan83

Reaction score
That actually made me feel alot better about the passing game. Matt Ryan threw it over 600 times this season, of course they are going to have high numbers when all they do is throw it.

Russell Wilson has proved that we can win with him hitting his 200 yards passing mark, especially with Lynch going over 100 yards rushing, plus wilsons rushing yards, and throw in a hint of turbin and thats where our strength comes in.

Navyhawkfan187

Reaction score
yup its easy to put up gaudy traditional stats when all you can do is throw 40 times a game to try and win...I'll take our efficient balanced attack over 6000yds passing every time.

mikeak

Reaction score
The only thin that concerns me there is Gonzales in the redzone. 8 TDs - he will be a big target and we didn't do well on the first two goalline stands against the red skins. In the other hand we have a week to work on that :)

Dirty Bird

Reaction score
So basically your saying if the Falcons were to swap players with the Hawks that they'd get the same or similar results?

mikeak

Reaction score
Dirty Bird":1f15kn1u said:
So basically your saying if the Falcons were to swap players with the Hawks that they'd get the same or similar results?

Not my interpretation. Swap receiving corps (not RB) and Matt Ryan would be in hot water this year and RW would have locked up ROY week 6.....

joeseahawks

Reaction score
As long as we have the ball and make first downs, Ryan can't throw to any of his receivers. Ball control, no turnovers, keep pounding the rock down their throat.
If we get ahead ... we can let the defense finish them off. Also, I'm looking for our special team to make things happen this game, they were quite in Washington.

BullHawk33

Reaction score
These numbers are very intriguing. Obviously they aren't everything for either team but they do a really good job of telling the receiver production story. Frankly, our receivers have done better than I thought. I can't wait to see how the numbers improve once the team is more familiar with each other and able to gel a bit better.

Atlanta has played together a long time and has had time work out the inconsistencies. The Seahawks have just started. It is a good time to be a Seahawks fan.

themunn

Reaction score
the fact that those players are so efficient despite the lack of a running game speaks volumes of their quality though

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
FWIW, it's spelled "Corps"... not "Core" in the sense that you used it in the subject.

Same pronunciation, different spelling.

OP
OP
Shock2k

Shock2k

Reaction score
Dirty Bird":13gpv7pl said:

Ok for arguments sake let's say this was reveresed. Taking away that you had a White/Jones but still did not adjust your pass/run differential (Preferring Lynch). With the numbers I see, I would expect them to close, yes. BUT, there is another large difference the total pass attempt distribution (and even more for TD's) for Atlanta is heavily weighted to your top 3 Recievers + Jaquizz.

Where the Seattle offense has more of a pass distribution beyond thier 2WR's and 1 Slot. Including Robinson(RB), McCoy (TE#2), Turbin (RB#2), which would skew the numbers.

With that said, yes the general argument would be the numbers would be the same taking into acount the 4.2% better completion percentage that Ryan holds over Wilson.

OP
OP
Shock2k

Shock2k

Reaction score
onanygivensunday":3mptax5z said:
FWIW, it's spelled "Corps"... not "Core" in the sense that you used it in the subject.

Same pronunciation, different spelling.

No I meant core as in thier core (primary) recievers, I've left out other receivers Atlanta uses. So not thier entire "corps".

keepertd

Reaction score
:177692: isnt this obvious? for a board who has talked about "Falcons can't run the ball all they can do is pass!" you had to make up a chart that they had more opurtunities? :34853_doh:

Starrman44

Reaction score
Dirty Bird":5uzh9x43 said:

Actually, I think he is pointing out that our receivers numbers are skewed by the number of targets. That they are underrated as a whole.

Probably much the same you guys feel about your defense and folks disrespecting Strength of Schedule. Ya'll beat the teams you faced.

I think Roddy White and Julio Jones are very talented. I ain't arguing the fact that you guys have a superb receiving group, but I also like out group. Once Rice got through the injury stuff, he has been awesome. Tate is great after the catch and on screens, and Baldwin is a prototypical third down receiver.

Your receiving corp is legit, it is who we think it is. Our receiving corp is underrated. They are better than a lot of Atlanta fans think (at least the ones on the fan forums).

therealjohncarlson

Reaction score
Dirty Bird":1f2lrqi2 said:

Who said that? Stop making things up

mikeak

Reaction score
Shock2k":546j1fnu said:
Dirty Bird":546j1fnu said:

Ok for arguments sake let's say this was reveresed. Taking away that you had a White/Jones but still did not adjust your pass/run differential (Preferring Lynch). With the numbers I see, I would expect them to close, yes. BUT, there is another large difference the total pass attempt distribution (and even more for TD's) for Atlanta is heavily weighted to your top 3 Recievers + Jaquizz.

Where the Seattle offense has more of a pass distribution beyond thier 2WR's and 1 Slot. Including Robinson(RB), McCoy (TE#2), Turbin (RB#2), which would skew the numbers.

With that said, yes the general argument would be the numbers would be the same taking into acount the 4.2% better completion percentage that Ryan holds over Wilson.

I know it is your post but I completely disagree with you. If RW is better than Matt Ryan then he is doing more with his WR than Ryan is. So you swap receivers maybe RW's numbers skyrocket and so does the WRs whereas Matt Ryan's AND Rice's, Tates etc numbers go way down.......

The numbers ONLY show that we get about the same amount of efficiency out of our WRs as Atlanta does

CANHawk

Reaction score
keepertd":20gf5x3w said:
:177692: isnt this obvious? for a board who has talked about "Falcons can't run the ball all they can do is pass!" you had to make up a chart that they had more opurtunities? :34853_doh:

That's not what it says. not at all. When the sample size of pass attempts varies by that degree, the only real way to compare the two teams passing efficiency is by looking at the averages and percentages. That's why averages and percentages exist in the first place. When you look at the averages, we're not really all that far apart. Yes they're better than us, but it isn't night and day like my gut was telling me.

hawker84

Reaction score
White and Jones would have less catches and yards in seattle in our current offense? the answer is yes... we run the ball a lot more and we distribute the ball to a lot more targets.... obviously because tate and rice are not averaging 100 yrds per game... the most intriguing stat i see is touchdowns... and a huge edge going to ATL in the TE position.