This ain't your Daddy's Seahawks

NYCoug

Reaction score
They're tough, physical, feared, hated, and they win. Tell that to your Seahawk fan Father and he'll ask if you're talking about the Oakland Raiders or the Pittsburgh Stealers of lore. No dad, these are your 2012 Seattle Seahawks and they're nasty as hell! Dad, in a state of disorientation, would probably be in disbelief and would wonder how the hell they got there.

When Pete Carroll took over in 2010, he inherited a franchise in shambles when it came to talent and hope. 3 short years later and the Seahawks have been transformed into one of the most talented and exciting teams in the league, as well as one of the toughest. How'd he do it? Well he started by giving this team an identity. He, and John Schneider, have hoarded a collection of misfits, outcasts, and other people's trash. They have taken players already with a chip on their shoulder and used that mindset to foster growth and progression, literally taking certain players to heights that NO ONE dreamed of upon their arrival to Seattle.

The driving force behind the rise of the Seahawks has been belief. More so than competition even. Everyone believes in one another. The players, the coaches, hell it's even trickled down through to the fans. Now, when the Seahawks get down and the going gets tough, everyone continues to believe. Continues to believe that anything is possible. With each and every game the "Same Old Seahawks" of the past continue to slip further into the rearview mirror before eventually, they'll just disappear. You'll know they're still back there but no bother, they're behind you and you've only got open road in front of you. At the rate the Seahawks are growing, it won't be long before children are born into Seahawk fandom without having seen the Seahawks be a doormat. Hopefully they're being raised properly and don't end up like the douchey Yankees fans who plague my existence who never knew that the Yankees were pretty awful when they were too small to remember.
No game is too big for these Seahawks, no situation is too great. Whatever happens, these guys are ready to roll with the punches and do whatever it takes to win. The resiliency the team showed after Marshawn's fumble near the goal line, to come back and still win the game after that, are things that we as Seahawks fans are not used to seeing. Seeing Seattle come through time and time again on 3rd down is something completely new as well. Consider it uncharted territories.

Your Father and his Seahawks could never dream of going on the road in the playoffs and overcoming a 14 point deficit to still win the game, in terrible conditions. It took 30 years to get this monkey off our backs. I was -5 when the Seahawks won in Miami. That's huge for a franchise that was already heading in the right direction. Consider yourself lucky because now you also get to see the Hawks go on the road to play the #1 seed in the conference, and you can actually believe without being committed, that they have a shot to win.

The attitude and fighting spirit of this squad is contagious. Somehow they just continue to be able to rise above it and scale new heights. You can't put anything past them because anything is possible when you mix their already freakish talent with this high a level of determination, belief, and commitment.

Consider this. After the game my father told me that when it was 14-0, all he could do was think of me and how I must've been feeling watching the game. He said he was devastated for me. For some reason though, he didn't turn off the TV, he kept watching. When the final seconds ticked off the clock and he smiled looking at the final score, a thought crept into his head. He said he's never seen the Seahawks fight through so much adversity and still end up playing the better game and getting the win. All I told him was, it's time to start believing.

I guess this is what happens when the perennial loser finally starts to win. The road ahead is a tough one, but we can all believe that we've got a fighting chance.

Some Tunes: 'The Loser Wins' by Atmosphere. Definitely feelin this as a Hawks fan right now! Exciting times!

OP
OP
N

NYCoug

Reaction score
falcongoggles":3r5jnn1j said:
You were just a twinkle in my when the Miama game happened. J/K, I was two.

You better have had your Seahawks bib on or else you're not a true fan.

hawkfannj

Reaction score
Hey hey whippersnapper show some respect to your elders :sarcasm_on:

RiggoReincarnated

Reaction score
After Sunday, I don't see any team from the NFC beating Seattle. Denver in the Super Bowl, with their defense and Peyton Manning...now that could be another story.

bestfightstory

Reaction score
I'm friends with a couple of the guys in Atmosphere. Not a fan of their music, good guys though.

VivaEfrenHerrera

Reaction score
Hehe... I guess I've been around long enough that my fathers' Seahawks ARE my Seahawks and I still totally agree with you. The Hawks have had their share of tough, hungry dudes before (Easley, Young, Nash-Green-Bryant, etc.,) and cool customers too. (I don't think Eugene Robinson or Steve Largent were ever all the prone to getting rattled.) But this combination of aggression, desire and violence focused through the hyper-imperturbable lens of RW is something we've never really experienced. Even the best teams we've had don't seem to have the scary-high ceiling that this bunch seems to possess.

It's pretty cool to watch.

OP
OP
N

NYCoug

Reaction score
bestfightstory":zhhs4z3p said:
I'm friends with a couple of the guys in Atmosphere. Not a fan of their music, good guys though.

That's pretty awesome. They are definitely up there with Outkast as some of my favorites in the game. Definitely beats 100% of mainstream hip-hop nowadays. Minnesota just keeps churning out quality musicians.
VivaEfrenHerrera":zhhs4z3p said:
Hehe... I guess I've been around long enough that my fathers' Seahawks ARE my Seahawks and I still totally agree with you. The Hawks have had their share of tough, hungry dudes before (Easley, Young, Nash-Green-Bryant, etc.,) and cool customers too. (I don't think Eugene Robinson or Steve Largent were ever all the prone to getting rattled.) But this combination of aggression, desire and violence focused through the hyper-imperturbable lens of RW is something we've never really experienced. Even the best teams we've had don't seem to have the scary-high ceiling that this bunch seems to possess.

It's pretty cool to watch.

It's very cool to watch for me but must be even cooler to watch for someone who has seen this team through
it's entire existence. I'm definitely pumped for that portion of the fanbase. They deserve this the most. That's one of the main reasons why I hope they seal the deal.

Great description of the team. Sums em up perfectly in my mind.

kinesmajor

Reaction score
I'm really believing that this open competition in practice has made everybody better, made them overachieve and not let anybody rest on their laurels or they will get left behind. I hope this intensity last for years to come!

CPHawk

Reaction score
You know our D under Erickson was actually pretty dam tough and aggressive. His O may have sucked, but they could play D and out tough anyone at the time with Tez and the boys up front.

A

Anonymous

This post has got me thinking...

Is it just me, or have the NFL teams that have suffered some amount of city/location issues over the years, been sorta the "red-headed step children" of the league? The Rams, Cardinals, Ravens, Raiders, Colts, and the Seahawks, all have been to the Superbowl, but all have either lost, or never were able to repeat the trip the following year. Although there have years that these teams have had killer teams back to back, it seems like they have never historically dominated for extended periods of time. I'm not sure if this is just a coincidence or if it has some meaning to it, but every one of them has either moved to another city, or were really close to moving cities at one time or another. Isn't that weird?

To me, the building buzz about our team going into this Atlanta Game, has me digging deep to figure out why this year feels so much more satisfying than it did on 2005. The biggest thing is is having Russell and so many other awesome rookies (and really young guys in general), that open us up for being great for a good long time, not just this year. The new uniforms, the relatively-new coaching staff, and all the new players makes this year's success an entirely different feel than it did in '05.

It feels a whole lot better, actually.

CPHawk

Reaction score
HoustonHawk82":3lcf0ppo said:

Is it just me, or have the NFL teams that have suffered some amount of city/location issues over the years, been sorta the "red-headed step children" of the league? The Rams, Cardinals, Ravens, Raiders, Colts, and the Seahawks, all have been to the Superbowl, but all have either lost, or never were able to repeat the trip the following year. Although there have years that these teams have had killer teams back to back, it seems like they have never historically dominated for extended periods of time. I'm not sure if this is just a coincidence or if it has some meaning to it, but every one of them has either moved to another city, or were really close to moving cities at one time or another. Isn't that weird?

To me, the building buzz about our team going into this Atlanta Game, has me digging deep to figure out why this year feels so much more satisfying than it did on 2005. The biggest thing is is having Russell and so many other awesome rookies (and really young guys in general), that open us up for being great for a good long time, not just this year. The new uniforms, the relatively-new coaching staff, and all the new players makes this year's success an entirely different feel than it did in '05.

The other 5 have moved, but when did the Seahawks move? In fact Clink sits on top of where the king dome once stood, they didn't move to far.

A

Anonymous

CPHawk":bamyz03k said:
HoustonHawk82":bamyz03k said:

The other 5 have moved, but when did the Seahawks move? In fact Clink sits on top of where the king dome once stood, they didn't move to far.

They almost moved, as stated .

olyfan63

Reaction score
I remember that 1983 game, the Seahawks led the whole game, then Seahawks up 17-13 late in the game, Krieg threw a pick late in the game that Miami turned into a quick TD. Miami ahead 24-20 with only about 2 or 3 minutes left in the game, and it was so demoralizing, because Seattle had outplayed them. Then Krieg hit that pass to Largent for about 50 yards, out of bounds at the 2 yard line, and it was YESSSSSS!!!!! The Seahawks aren't going to choke and gift this to Miami. Warner running in the winning TD was merely a formality by then.

dunceface

Reaction score
Nice write up NY!
For any of the superstitious folks: My dad has always been terrible luck for the Hawks whenever he watches and it has proven itself beyond the shadow of a doubt (to an eerie degree sometimes) so it has been a running gag for as long as I remember! This holiday season he came down to SD to visit and it was going to be during the SF game so I planned on having him read a book or something in the other room, much to my girlfriend's chagrin (she just doesn't get it), while my friends and I watch the game.
So it comes to game time and we are all ready for the game and I feel kinda shitty givin my dad the boot and putting him in the bedroom like a rambunctious mutt so I explain the situation to everyone that he may need to leave the room if things go sour for the Hawks but we're gonna test the waters.
Well, you guys know the rest...we spanked them convincingly to secure a playoff spot, beat the birthday boy Douchebaugh while Sherman and Baldwin exacted their revenge, remained undefeated at home, won 1st place in one fantasy league and 3rd in the other with the help of our defense and BEAST MODE, and finally broke my dad's curse!
Since then we watched the Rams and Skins games together with obvious results... even after the 14-0 deficit to the skins he said, "I may need to take off if this gets any worse"
And I told him, "Just remember, you don't have any reason to doubt this team any more."
The curse is gone because he believes, I believe, we believe and most importantly THEY believe.

The end

P.s. So this is what SharkHawk feels like all the time...GO HAWKS!!!