Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ    Contact Us  Your donations are greatly appreciated! Donate  Chat Room

Board index » SEAHAWKS.NET - THE VOICE OF THE 12TH MAN » [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Post subject: Nice artilce on Hawks secondary at FO
 Post Posted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:12 pm 
NET Veteran

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/word-m ... ent-918031

Quote:
If I jog you back to the beginning of the column, you’ll remember I said that Seattle’s secondary was good, but all I’ve talked about so far are their safeties. Their corners are just as important to the two plays I’ve diagrammed as the safeties are, even though neither of them ever show up in the screen.

The reason both safeties are allowed to not only play in the box, but do so while playing the run first, is that both Richard Sherman and Brandon Browner are good enough to play on islands outside the numbers. That means the deep safety just has to worry about the middle of the field, which both of Seattle’s safeties are capable of handling with very little help from the linebackers, so the box safety essentially gets to play like a linebacker.

When you think about great run defense, secondary play isn’t typically the first thing that jumps to mind, but it can be a huge advantage.

R. Sherman: "I don't want to be an island. I want to be a tourist attraction. You come, I take your money & you go."

Board index » SEAHAWKS.NET - THE VOICE OF THE 12TH MAN » [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]