Wrong on Wilson

Hawknballs

Reaction score
From Mike Sando's recent article:

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post/_/ ... -ryan-leaf

Tony Pauline, SI.com:
"The Seahawks made another questionable decision, tabbing Wilson in the third frame. Wilson is destined to sit behind newly-signed Matt Flynn and will struggle to see the field at any point over the next three years."

Jason Cole, Yahoo! Sports:
"The Seahawks spent a third-round pick on Wilson even though the history of QBs under 6-foot is poor, to say the least. You don't spend a third-round pick on a guy who'll be lucky to be Seneca Wallace. You also don't do that after signing Matt Flynn as a free agent. The Seahawks are no closer to solving the QB situation now than they were before 2011."

Pete Prisco, CBSSports.com:
"Why does Seattle take him? They paid Matt Flynn and have two others. Strange pick."

Joseph Fell, Cold Hard Football Facts:
"Just as soon as Seahawks fans began to shell out their hard-earned money for jerseys with Flynn’s name on the back, Carroll once again demonstrated his flair for the dramatic by announcing that Wilson would be the Seahawks’ starting quarterback this fall. This experiment will prove a disaster. … Starting Wilson will most likely lead to another wasted season, and this move may be the one that leads owner Paul Allen to fire Carroll."

Wes Bunting, National Football Post:
"Wilson is a plus athlete who can spin the football and gives you a nice run/pass threat. However he's undersized, is going to struggle to consistently make plays from the pocket and is still learning how to work his way through defenses. He is worth a pick late, but I don't see the guy as a potential starter in the NFL. Reserve only."

Mel Kiper Jr., ESPN:
"Russell Wilson is a great test case for shorter QBs, because he has everything else, but did they need him in the third round after grabbing Matt Flynn to come in and likely start?"

Wilson ss

RiggoReincarnated

Reaction score
I can't find anything bad to say about Wilson. Its like he's RGIII's brother or cousin. Heck, both of them even earned their degrees in 3 years. How many college NFL players do that?

I thought for sure you guys would start Flynn at the beginning of the season at least. Props to Carroll for doing what he thought was best for your team - it could have easily backfired on him had Wilson not progressed the way he has.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
I even Tweeted Sando a compliment about having guts enough to admit being wrong. I really like him. It's a good article, and also takes some subtle shots at other media pundits. :D

Shock2k

Reaction score
RiggoReincarnated":9phlm7nl said:
Also, Pete Prisco is the biggest idiot out there. lol

Probably something that both sets of fans will completely agree on 100%.

KDawg_ES

Reaction score
Shock2k":lhjuhy5e said:
RiggoReincarnated":lhjuhy5e said:
Also, Pete Prisco is the biggest idiot out there. lol

Probably something that both sets of fans will completely agree on 100%.

He predicted we'd be 3-13 and wouldn't score over 21 points once this season.

Yes. We both agree.

OP
OP
Hawknballs

Hawknballs

Reaction score
RiggoReincarnated":1nm8gou0 said:
Props to Carroll for doing what he thought was best for your team.

Carroll deserves some credit, but most of the credit should go to Wilson. It's not like he won the job just by having a few good pre-season games. He won the job because of his work ethic and leadership from the first day he got here. If he had played the same in pre-season, but hadn't had that same dedication and ability to lead, he wouldn't have started.

It was clearly the difference in training camp. I like Flynn, and I think he'll be a good QB somewhere, but anyone who attended multiple training camps can tell you the difference was obvious. Wilson is born to lead.

Hawk-A-Loogie

Reaction score
So... if we revisited our draft choices and the grades we got. What would we get now? I do wonder.

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
You forgot the most important quote of all:

Jon Gruden: "If I were Tarvaris Jackson and Matt Flynn, I'd be leery of this kid because if you give him a chance, if you give him a chance and look past his 5 foot 11 or 5-10 and a half or whatever it is, if you give this kid a legitimate chance to win the job, he'll win it. That's how much confidence I have in him."

SharkHawk

Reaction score
Hey, Riggo's back. Why did it take another playoff game between us for you to come back to the board?

Great job OP. I heard plenty of similar quotes from some very well thought of members on this board. In fact, they were much more harsh. I will gladly admit that I was NOT one of them. I was 100% on the Russell Wilson bandwagon the first time I saw him suit up for Wisconsin, after making the jump. I didn't think anybody would pick up an offense that fast. He did, and I knew that kid was something special. He reminded me so much of Steve Young his senior year that it was scary and I made that comparo a few times, and it's starting to look about right. :)

candybars

Reaction score
I would love to meet one of these guys in person what its like to repeatedly fail at what you do and hope their paycheck covers the facade they have to live as phonies.

sc85sis

Reaction score
I wonder if the VMAC was inundated with a couple thousand angry emails and faxes after Russell was drafted the way Heritage Hall was after Pete was hired at USC.

People really needed to learn not to make snap judgements.

SkinsGuru

Reaction score
why did wilson quit football to play baseball?? not trying to knock on him or start anything, just curious if it was football or baseball that was his first choice??

SharkHawk

Reaction score
He quit baseball to play football. Baseball season (short season minors) doesn't overlap with football. He had graduated in NC and went and played pro ball, and then went to Wisconsin and decided not to play baseball so he was ready for his senior year. He did both sports. Many guys do. It is a great way to get a summer job and not have to worry about scholarships covering the bills.

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
You know something is wrong when Kiper actually sounds like the most reasonable draft pundit

rsm650

Reaction score
Also, of all things, Bleacher Report predicted this when grading our draft picks: "But that is where Wilson's height is misleading. When reviewing footage of his throwing motion, Wilson has a distinct overhand throw...possibly related to his days as a minor-league baseball player and aided by an ample 31" arm length... However, don't be surprised to see him starting for the Seahawks and becoming the steal of the 2012 NFL Draft." http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1166 ... ick/page/6

SkinsGuru

Reaction score
SharkHawk":3bpyj150 said:
He quit baseball to play football. Baseball season (short season minors) doesn't overlap with football. He had graduated in NC and went and played pro ball, and then went to Wisconsin and decided not to play baseball so he was ready for his senior year. He did both sports. Many guys do. It is a great way to get a summer job and not have to worry about scholarships covering the bills.

kewl . . . thanks!! . . . i thought i heard he played football and quit to go off and play baseball, then when he didn't make it in baseball he went back to football . . . probably the Chinese telephone thing or something . . .