The Skins/Hawks Match Up

KDawg_ES

Reaction score
Greetings,

I am from Extremeskins.com. I see through various threads that you guys don't have too high of an opinion of that place. I can tell you that its a great site with dedicated and passionate membership and I love it there.

But, we absolutely love our football talk, and that's what I came here to do.

Much like you guys, I can't wait for the match up on Sunday. I like to call it the Main Event of Wildcard Weekend.

All season long, I've enjoyed the moments I've gotten to watch your Seahawks. I love your attacking defense. Mebane and Red Bryant are dangerous up front. They're tough to run on. Wagner is for sure a candidate for defensive rookie of the year, if not the defensive rookie of the year. Mentioning your corners isn't worth it, those two can play with the best of them, which is probably why you guys enjoy the 1 high man concept that you employ so often. With Browner and Sherman on the outside you can essentially shut down the field from hash to sideline. Despite the praise I've given elsewhere, I'm probably most impressed with your safeties. Chancellor is a hard hitting, fly around kind of defender. Earl Thomas is a ballhawk of a free safety.

From what I've seen, your weakness on defense is 3rd down efficiency. Your pass rush isn't great on third downs, which is why I believe a big key to this game is 3rd down. The Redskins MUST win the matchup on first down, which I believe is gaining four or more yards. Third and medium is decent territory for the Redskins offense to convert, as the playaction will come into play, an area of defense that Seattle is ranked 24th league wide against. The zone read action that we run, that I'm sure you're all quite familiar with, has to be respected, as it does with your opponents. In 3rd and long situations, Seattle's coverage unit will be tough to crack. We have to stay in manageable situations on third down. Due to your aggressive defense, it'll be tough for them to stay home on meaningful third down situations, which will open up the hook zones a bit to allow Griffin some throwing room. If your safeties begin to cheat up, the 'Skins will start taking more shots deep. It's one of those situations that I really like as its an aggressive, attacking style of offense, but it also scares me with Earl Thomas patrolling back there.

I'm interested to see how Seattle matches up against various formations. From our "Uzi" set, which is the fullhouse backfield out of Pistol, to formations which align Garcon in the slot. I have to wonder if they'll move Browner or Sherman on Garcon on the inside. Stopping Alfred Morris will be a key component to Seattle's success, because if he gets going the read option/read option pass is going to be a tough play to stop.

There is an intriguing matchup on the other side of the ball as well. Our defensive leader, and best defensive player was named NFC Defensive Player of the Month. Your quarterback was named NFC Rookie of the Month. That'll be a fun one to watch.

I think in general, your receivers match up favorably with our DBs, especially our safeties. DeAngelo Hall and Josh Wilson can be very, very good on the outside, or they can be very, very bad. Golden Tate always seems to get YAC. Madieu Williams at free safety concerns me the most. He's very prone in coverage. Both of our safeties come up and play the alley quite well versus run, but Williams also has a knack for missing tackles and allowing runners to spring free. That's where Marshawn Lynch is most dangerous. He's a guy that you absolutely have to tackle or he'll tear you to shreds. And much like with Washington's offense and Morris, if Lynch gets going opposing defenses are in a world of hurt. And also similar to Washington's offense, once your running game gets going, so does your play action game.

The key to both teams is stopping the running game and forcing teams to be one dimensional.

As a 'Skins fan, I truly believe Griffin deserves to be the offensive rookie of the year, but I have no qualms with Russell Wilson receiving that honor. He's been a very, very good player and he reminds me a lot of Fran Tarkenton (or, rather, what I've seen of Tarkenton on film). The key is blitzing him and forcing him off his spot and THEN containing him. Easier said than done. I almost feel that the 'Skins D will be safer forcing him from his spot and then once he moves not over committing to chasing him, or he'll pull the shoulder switch evasion technique I've seen him use many times. We have to make him make quick decisions.

From a fan of the game, this is an intriguing match up. Both attacking defenses (yours is better, in my opinion), both "new age" offenses. Both teams are built completely on their running game. It will be the most exciting game of the year, or it should be anyways.

We all know who I'm rooting for, but I think all of us have two things in common:

1) Hope for no injuries
2) That whichever QB, Russell or Griffin wins Rookie of the Year, at least it's not Andrew Luck, who doesn't stack up to either one of our quarterbacks.

Cartire

Reaction score
I dont quite understand ES.com

The first thread stickied there is basically telling all seahawks to go away, your not welcomed, and your whole fanbase is jerks.

Impossible to start a reasonable conversation over there. But thanks for you insight regardless.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
KDawg_ES":37cowiij said:
Greetings,

I am from Extremeskins.com. I see through various threads that you guys don't have too high of an opinion of that place. I can tell you that its a great site with dedicated and passionate membership and I love it there.

If you want to know why people think your site sucks here is a pretty good example:

Right away you're greeted with a sticky post:

ExtremeSkins.com":37cowiij said:
Dear Seahawks Fans. Read this before you post. No exceptions

Since we have seen this story play out before in our playoff pasts, and because Seattle in particular seems to have a tremendous amount of Internet Crusaders fighting for truth and justice in all things Seahawks, we thought this thread might serve a good public purpose.

Contrary to what you might think, we don't need to hear from you. We are quite content discussing football amongst ourselves as we have been all season.

We are not all waiting for you to show up and tell us the errors of our ways and share with us your witty insights. Trust us. We're good.

So, I suggest a careful reading of the rules on your part. I have posted them below. Read these. Pay particular attention to the bolded text. There is no gray area.

This is a website owned by the Washington Redskins, maintained by Redskins fans, and primarily devoted to Washington Redskins football. While we enjoy visitors, we did not leave the door open hoping to have people drop by intent on changing our way of thinking. We are quite happy (some might argue "miserable" at times) being Redskins fans. We continue to believe that each Sunday marks a new beginning and that eventually we will return to our days of greatness. You, of course, can laugh at that notion, but if you do it here, it probably won't be taken too kindly.

If you're a fan of a rival team, please don't make the mistake of thinking this is an always-friendly environment. When you are here, your screen is burgundy and gold for a reason. We’re ExtremeSkins. Nothing about this site should suggest to you that we are interested in being all things to all football fans. We have many knowledgeable fans here who know quite a bit about Washington Redskins football in particular and the NFL in general. We allow a certain amount of Redskins machismo here, because that is part of the Redskins experience. So be advised you will likely encounter critical and disparaging statements related to your chosen football team from time to time. As with all issues, moderators will determine what is or isn't allowable independent of anyone's team affiliation.

Do enjoy your time here---we welcome well-behaved rival fans and enjoy other perspectives in the form of solid football discussion, along with the typical banter expected in such venues as long as it is within our Forum Rules. But don't let your activities interfere with our ability to enjoy your time here.

Basically right away you're getting defensive and making anyone who would love to drop by and talk football completely disinterested because of how childish this entire posts sounds.

FYI I post on several opponents forums, including a regular showing on a 49ers forum. I know how to support and discuss my team without resorting to name-calling and other pointless garbage. I love the game and I love talking about it.

I registered on your site but after reading this post and seeing a request for seahawk fans to all post their thoughts on one thread, I was completely uninterested. Way to promote a 'community' over there.

A community of people who only want to hear themselves speak. HEEE HEEE SEACHICKENS GET IT LIKE NOT A HAWK BUT A CHICKEN CUZ CHICKENZ R GAY

Sac

Reaction score
Classy post KDawg. I have a lot of respect for your team too. Perhaps you can share some of your reasonableness with our new friend "crankupthediesel".

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
KDawg_ES":1dfdri1m said:
Greetings,

That's because we've all gotten banned from there for just plain talking football. Not being an ass, or trolling a lot, or anything; your mods literally do not even seem to want non-Skins fans talking over there. I've never seen such policing before.

Let's forget that forum exists as far as discussion on this forum is concerned. :) Welcome to the board, I hope you enjoy the stay; and if you're a cool poster that doesn't troll and isn't a blind homer, then I hope you stay long-term, as we have some resident fans from other teams that have been posting here for years. We welcome anyone, if they simply remember what team's forum they're on, basically.

You're right about our 3rd-down woes. Specifically, however, 3rd-and-long is where we've gotten killed a lot this year. Last I checked, we stopped 3rd-and-short more than 3rd-and-long, which doesn't make sense. Our lack of a pass rush is deceiving. We definitely lack it most of the time, but we also almost never blitz. The times we do blitz, we've had very good success with it. Our front 4 routinely does not get much pressure against most teams, and I hope we address that more after the season is over.

IMO, the main thing to exploit against our defense is the short passing game. Dinking and dunking, we've been very susceptible to; see the 2nd half of the Packers game, and most of the Patriots game. Our LBers need improvement there. If you guys come out with a quick dink-and-dunk short passing game, you'll likely win. I don't think the Redskins have really done that this year though, have they?

SacHawk2.0":1dfdri1m said:
Way to make a good impression, Peaches.
Yeah, WTF, peaches? I mean, he's from Extreme Skins and they basically just called all of us racist because of a couple of idiots 6 years ago, but still; lol.

OP
OP
K

KDawg_ES

Reaction score
No worries. I don't judge entire fan bases or forums by a single poster. I'm a guest here, I'd expect that there will be some unwelcoming posters. It's part of the territory when you're "on the road".

OP
OP
K

KDawg_ES

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":1t863rf0 said:
Our LBers need improvement there. If you guys come out with a quick dink-and-dunk short passing game, you'll likely win. I don't think the Redskins have really done that this year though, have they?

One of the major knocks from the media on RG3 early in the year was that he was only throwing deep passes. Kyle Shanahan loosened the reigns up and has let him let a few go more often now, but the love the screen game to receivers and intermediate routes.

OP
OP
K

KDawg_ES

Reaction score
SacHawk2.0":2xwf4cbm said:
Care to make a friendly signature bet, Kdawg?

I don't do bets. In real life or in forums. Football is a screwy game. :)

Sac

Reaction score
KDawg_ES":34kyyre2 said:
SacHawk2.0":34kyyre2 said:
Care to make a friendly signature bet, Kdawg?

I don't do bets. In real life or in forums. Football is a screwy game. :)

You just don't want to end up like the guy in my signature! lol

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
KDawg_ES":kmo9yo3j said:
One of the major knocks from the media on RG3 early in the year was that he was only throwing deep passes. Kyle Shanahan loosened the reigns up and has let him let a few go more often now, but the love the screen game to receivers and intermediate routes.

This year is the first year in a long, long, time where we haven't been burned by screens much. I can't remember the last time we defended the screen well. That doesn't bode well to your offense. We're not elite at defending it by any means, but (and I'm too lazy to try and find out) if I had to guess, I'd say over the past 5 years we've probably been bottom 5 of the league at defending the screen, maybe bottom 10, prior to this year. It has kind of been a longstanding point of contention around here, haha.

Cartire

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":16lne6wz said:
KDawg_ES":16lne6wz said:

This year is the first year in a long, long, time where we haven't been burned by screens much. I can't remember the last time we defended the screen well. That doesn't bode well to your offense. We're not elite at defending it by any means, but (and I'm too lazy to try and find out) if I had to guess, I'd say over the past 5 years we've probably been bottom 5 of the league at defending the screen, maybe bottom 10, prior to this year. It has kind of been a longstanding point of contention around here, haha.

I got so mad at the beginning of the year when Wilson was getting blitzed constantly and we were not throwing a single screen to lynch or turbin. And I truly believe, that if we had used the screen even just twice against AZ at the first game, we would have won that game too.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Your site reeks of intolerance, you guys don't talk football, you just whisper RGIII softley into each others ears. It is easily the most insecure fan site I have ever seen. Jingoistic bullshit and run by a couple of mods who echo the Dan Snyder don't say anything we don't want to hear company line.

I stopped reading when I saw you say ES is a great site. I like a lot about your team, but don't try to defend Extreme Skins. Your Mods labeled our entire fanbase as racist and awful when in truth you are really just pissed about getting booted from the playoffs twice. I expect fans to drop stupidity sometimes, hell I do, but when the moderators of a site act that ignorant and hateful, they give free license to others to be even worse.

We have a policy here of attack the post, not the poster. When Extreme Skins adopts that same policy, I will read your thoughts.

Sac

Reaction score
Yeah, but aren't we better then that Scotte? Dumb stuff like that seems so small when you take the high road.

OP
OP
K

KDawg_ES

Reaction score
Scottemojo":1egjnd0i said:
Your site reeks of intolerance, you guys don't talk football, you just whisper RGIII softley into each others ears. It is easily the most insecure fan site I have ever seen. Jingoistic bullshit and run by a couple of mods who echo the Dan Snyder don't say anything we don't want to hear company line.

I stopped reading when I saw you say ES is a great site. I like a lot about your team, but don't try to defend Extreme Skins. Your Mods labeled our entire fanbase as racist and awful when in truth you are really just pissed about getting booted from the playoffs twice. I expect fans to drop stupidity sometimes, hell I do, but when the moderators of a site act that ignorant and hateful, they give free license to others to be even worse.

We have a policy here of attack the post, not the poster. When Extreme Skins adopts that same policy, I will read your thoughts.

Hey, you're entitled to do whatever you want. Especially in your territory. No hard feelings.

dagoonie55

Reaction score
Skins fan here.

This is going to be a nightmare game for both of us. People calling for a blow out either way are insane. Unlike most skins fans, I don't think RG is the ROTY for us - its Morris. The guy has been bulldozing all year for us and will be a challenge to stop as noone has yet. Much like Lynch. I've watched that dude since he played in Buffalo. Great player.

Best of luck to your team. Here's hoping for no injuries.

MLOhawks

Reaction score
Welcome Skins Fans! You are more than welcome here.

However, ES is crap. That site is nothing but bile and vitriol and reeks of desperate and insecure fans. Very incestuous atmosphere at ES.

TaterHawk

Reaction score
Best matchup this year. Washington’s D is not very good simple as that. Seattle is a more balanced team overall (possibly the best in the league as far as all around balance) but young teams have issues on the road. Everything I’ve seen and what I know about both teams this one is a split 50/50. 10 games against each other (at Washington) would have these teams both .500. I see some edge Seattle and some edge to Washington. Both teams want to take away the run and force these QB’s to throw. Wilson is less likely to take risk when receivers are covered. RW3 will fire and pray, not a good idea with this group of DB’s. Seattle tends to get conservative (game management) on the road, where Washington will be more likely to take risk for some possible big plays. Seattle is exposed to the short passing game over the middle with the type of offense Washington runs (I smell some holding calls on Trufant, and our LB’s getting sucked up out of position). The QB most likely to press and make a rookie mistakes in this game…RW3. Wilson is the smartest QB as a rookie that I’ve ever seen. RW3 will press at times when he should go down or throw it away.

Looking down the road this is the game a fear most in all possible playoff matchups for Seattle

Starrman44

Reaction score
Welcome, regardless of the site you hail from. I wandered over to ES this week and I found myself hating the Redskins. After some Redskins fans made their way here, it's changed my opinion somewhat.

I've stated it before, but I feel like the Seahawks should win this without having to squeak it out. A 10-12 point win is what I expect. However, if it's close we are still equipped to win that kind of game to. Sometimes you feel like you get a feel for whether a team is special or not. I feel this Seahawks team is a special team. They are special in the way the prepare. That is why I am confident. However, I am not arrogant. If I felt like we were going to struggle I would say so and over the years I have said it a lot.

That said, I have gained more respect for your team over the week, and if you guys beat us than you deserve it and good luck the rest of the way. Hopefully you respectable fans will come on here, in that case, and maybe chide us a little without being too over the top. What I don't want is for those who won't come here during the week to come talk trash after. You definitely won't find me going on your sites and talking smack if we win.