Guaranteeing The Win.

The Essential Online Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. RATING: PG-13
Re: Guaranteeing The Win.
Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:25 am
  • loafoftatupu wrote:In the big picture, both teams are able to move the ball on the ground, through the air, with mobile, elusive, rookie QB's

Very evenly matched. I think the difference is defense, period. The Hawks just do it better. No matter how it is broken down, points, rushing or passing the Hawks are pretty good at it.

To be fair, the Redskins have a terrible defense. They are ranked 28th in the NFL in defense.
    -30th against the pass
    -5th against the rush

The Seahawks are ranked 4th in defense.
    -6th against the pass
    -10th against the rush

Obviously a huge advantage for the Seahawks

The Redskins are ranked 5th in the NFL in offense.
    -20th passing
    -1st rushing

The Seahawks are ranked 17th in the NFL in offense.
    -27th passing
    -3rd rushing

Now, I will explain why I think those rankings mean absolutely nothing. The Redskins have the 28th ranked defense, yet 11 out of their 16 games have come against teams ranked in the top half of the league in offense. Giants x2, Cowboys x2, Eagles x2, Saints, Falcons, Bucs, Panthers, Ravens.

Conversely, the Seahawks have played 9 offenses that rank in the bottom half of the league, statistically speaking. Cardinals x2, Rams x2, Jets, Bears, Dolphins, Vikings, Bills.

The point here is that stats are usually going to reflect the opponents you play. These two teams are pretty evenly matched in my opinion. On paper, the Seahawks have a better defense, while the Redskins have a better offense. Does that mean the game will play out that way? Certainly not. Stay tuned.
    drastik
    NET Practice Squad

Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:38 am
  • RiggoReincarnated wrote:Being underdogs AT HOME to a team they beat last season, and a team that talked trash then got spanked IN ITS OWN HOUSE...yet are still favorites, is going to fire our players up beyond belief.

I think a few blowout wins (the SF one was impressive undoubtedly but they seemed flat after beating NE), have gotten to this fanbases head.

"Spanked"?

23-17 is "spanked"?
    Rufus
    NET Rookie

Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:44 am
  • This is the game that Russell Wilson has been preparing for his whole life.

In Russell I trust.
    EastCoastHawksFan posted... "Trading for Harvin is by far the worst move John S has ever made." (March 18, 2014)

your World Champion Seattle Seahawks.. how sweet is that!!
    onanygivensunday
    NET Veteran

Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:18 am
  • (((Russell + Lynch) + (Tate * Rice)) * Tanzania) = ((Redskins) / (SEAdef * Tanzania)

The Math Never Lies!
    Shock2k
    NET Veteran

Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:05 am
  • I guarantee some posters on here are going to be incredibly surprised if the Seahawks don't win, which is totally possible. Expecting/hoping your team to win and saying you guarantee that the win/other team are two completely different situations. I'm hoping the Seahawks make these posters look like "geniuses" this week.
    bmorepunk
    NET Starter

Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:08 am
  • drastik wrote:
    loafoftatupu wrote:In the big picture, both teams are able to move the ball on the ground, through the air, with mobile, elusive, rookie QB's

Very evenly matched. I think the difference is defense, period. The Hawks just do it better. No matter how it is broken down, points, rushing or passing the Hawks are pretty good at it.

To be fair, the Redskins have a terrible defense. They are ranked 28th in the NFL in defense.
    -30th against the pass
    -5th against the rush

The Seahawks are ranked 4th in defense.
    -6th against the pass
    -10th against the rush

Obviously a huge advantage for the Seahawks

The Redskins are ranked 5th in the NFL in offense.
    -20th passing
    -1st rushing

The Seahawks are ranked 17th in the NFL in offense.
    -27th passing
    -3rd rushing

Now, I will explain why I think those rankings mean absolutely nothing. The Redskins have the 28th ranked defense, yet 11 out of their 16 games have come against teams ranked in the top half of the league in offense. Giants x2, Cowboys x2, Eagles x2, Saints, Falcons, Bucs, Panthers, Ravens.

Conversely, the Seahawks have played 9 offenses that rank in the bottom half of the league, statistically speaking. Cardinals x2, Rams x2, Jets, Bears, Dolphins, Vikings, Bills.

The point here is that stats are usually going to reflect the opponents you play. These two teams are pretty evenly matched in my opinion. On paper, the Seahawks have a better defense, while the Redskins have a better offense. Does that mean the game will play out that way? Certainly not. Stay tuned.

Very good post.
    RiggoReincarnated
    NET Starter

Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:14 am
  • The problem with all these Ranks on offense and defense I keep seeing are bogus (Well, defense no much, cause its a proper evaluator.) because they are based on nothing but overall yards. Thats absolutly stupid to rank a teams passing by overall yards.

Teams that have good defense, will win better field position and have to transverse shorter distances to score. Thusly decreasing their overall yardage and somehow being a worse offense then others. This is what overall yardage cant predict.

DVOA is by far the best metric when measuring an offenses true skills. If you dont want to accept that, its ok to say you dont understand it.
    hawksincebirth wrote:So Russell has leverage but marshawn doesn't ? I thought its next man up. Hey we got t jack and bj Daniels right ??
    Cartire
    NET Veteran

Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:35 am
  • Cartire wrote:The problem with all these Ranks on offense and defense I keep seeing are bogus (Well, defense no much, cause its a proper evaluator.) because they are based on nothing but overall yards. Thats absolutly stupid to rank a teams passing by overall yards.

Teams that have good defense, will win better field position and have to transverse shorter distances to score. Thusly decreasing their overall yardage and somehow being a worse offense then others. This is what overall yardage cant predict.

DVOA is by far the best metric when measuring an offenses true skills. If you dont want to accept that, its ok to say you dont understand it.

Yards is just the easiest way to rank teams.

My problem with DVOA is, it's pretty "murky"... They tell you how DVOA works (certain plays are valued more than others etc etc), but the creators of the DVOA system never give you a concrete explanation of their formula.

Ex: Is my 1yard run to get a first down in the 3rd quarter of a close game going to give me more or less points than my 1yard run with under 2minutes remaining in the 4th quarter to pick up the first down and enable my team to run the clock out?

I prefer to look at things like points scored, time of possession, turnover differential, yards etc etc
    drastik
    NET Practice Squad

Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:07 am
  • we are ranked so low on passing because our QB barely passed in the first half of the season, not an excuse a fact..... our road record is not good because we lost close games on the road in the first half of the season, when our rookie qb was handcuffed , and all we did is run the ball.... again not excuses facts.... i will suggest again, you throw out the first half numbers and concentrate on the second half numbers, because that better reflects what this team really is capable of... just a suggestion.
    World Champs - Sounds good don't it
    hawker84
    NET Veteran

Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:13 am
  • I'm not guaranteeing crap........as the week has gone on I have gotten more and more nervous lol.
    Blitzer88
    * NET Eeyore *

Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:28 pm
  • I told you people. No shot.
    Rzzzzz...
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *

Previous

It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:58 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]