SEAHAWKS DEFENSE BUILT TO STOP RGIII?

Jazzhawk

Reaction score
http://nfl.si.com/2013/01/01/break-it-down-wild-card-weekend-preview-seattles-secondary-vs-rgiii/

Very few teams have figured out the secret to defending Washington’s offense, even with Robert Griffin III running at less than full speed late in the season. Seattle may have as good a chance as anyone this weekend, when the Seahawks visit the Redskins on Wild-Card Weekend.

............Seattle has twice faced an offense that runs a variation of Washington’s offense … and has gone 2-0 in those games.

The Seahawks held Cam Newton and the Panthers to 190 total yards and 12 points in a Week 5 victory, then they stuffed Colin Kaepernick and San Francisco, 42-13 in Week 16 (Seattle lost to the 49ers, 13-6, before the Kaepernick-for-Alex Smith switch at QB).

What is Seattle’s trick? Well, in addition to being able to see the pistol, zone-read look from its own offense each day in practice, the Seahawks have a unique blend of defensive talent that makes them a tough matchup for any offense — likely including Washington’s.

Does that mean the Redskins are doomed this weekend? Definitely not. But they might have their hands full getting their playmakers into space

grizbob

Reaction score
I must confess, I've not watched any skins games, but my impression is after seeing the highlights RG is way too willing to sacrifice his body to make a play, which plays into the hands of our secondary. But having said that, my fear is that with the apparent league wide impression by the refs that we are too aggressive, any time there's a substantial hit on RG it will draw a flag legal or not.

Hawk-A-Loogie

Reaction score
I thought so too.

I dunno if RW scrambles in practice, but if so, our defense is used to this type of offense.

BamKam

Reaction score
We have some undersized players but are very quick which helps out a lot IMO. I think Wagner and Irvin both have huge games on Sunday.

sturg78

Reaction score
grizbob":pjb1moe4 said:
I must confess, I've not watched any skins games, but my impression is after seeing the highlights RG is way too willing to sacrifice his body to make a play, which plays into the hands of our secondary. But having said that, my fear is that with the apparent league wide impression by the refs that we are too aggressive, any time there's a substantial hit on RG it will draw a flag legal or not.

If it is substantial enough of a hit it will only happen once...

djb28

Reaction score
sturg78":fclku4xs said:
grizbob":fclku4xs said:

:th2thumbs:

grizbob

Reaction score
sturg78":8qay4yid said:
grizbob":8qay4yid said:

Well that gave me an evil laugh :roll:

hawksfan515

Reaction score
I think a good defense can stop RG3, IMO. Football Outsiders sums it up perfectly:

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/quick- ... 012-review

Worse than his standard statistics made him look: Robert Griffin, Washington Redskins
Griffin led the league in yards per pass with a higher completion rate and half as many interceptions as Wilson, which may have you wondering how on earth Wilson finished higher in our rankings. Strength of schedule is part of it. Wilson had to run the brutal gauntlet of NFC West defenses, while Griffin's schedule was somewhat easier than average. Without opponent adjustments, Griffin's DVOA was five points higher than Wilson's; with them, it was three points lower. Also, Griffin's yardage total was skewed by a small number of very big plays. Many of his completions were actually dink-and-dunk plays. All told, 27 percent of his completions failed to gain meaningful yardage towards a new set of downs. Of the 27 quarterbacks with at least 200 completions, only Jay Cutler, Brandon Weeden, and Christian Ponder had a higher share of dumpoffs and checkdowns.

He also forgot to mention a lot of Wilson's interceptions were fluky.

1. Hail Mary against Cardinals.

2. Doug Baldwin dropped a pass against the Rams, Trumaine Johnson caught it

3. Wilson hit as he threw, Ram caught the pass

4. McCoy slipped, allowing a defender to catch the pass

5. Wilson threw to Lynch, who caught it, then bobbled the ball up, allowing Luke Kuechly to make his lone pick of the season.

6. I really blame Wilson for this one. Throws it outside of a receivers reach. Wilson has much improved since this play.

7. I blame Wilson for this one too, as he seemed to get frustrated and threw a deep ball off target, if I recall correctly. Got picked.

8. Thought Sidney Rice wanted a go route, so he threw the ball down the sideline, and Rice didn't leap in front of the defender to catch/break up the pass, instead fell down.

9. Wilson was trying to hard in a blowout, threw a contested pass to Tate, and Tate slipped a little, allowing Peterson to gain position on the ball and pick the pass off.

10. Screen fell through Turbins hands, Patrick Willis scoops it up.

4 of those are extremely flukey, and shouldn't be counted against Wilson. The other 2 against the Rams are slightly flukey. And then there are 3 I really blame on Wilson. Only 3.

chris98251

Reaction score
As long as we don't lead with a helmet or hit him if he slides he is fair game. Once he runs as a RB he can be lit up like anyone. Yeah there could be a flag ala Kam and Davis, but one shot like that and RG3 won't be running anywhere soon after.

One more point to think about, do you want RG3 with a threat of running playing or Cousins that is a more pocket oreinted player, with limited pass rush who does more damage.

seahawksTopGear

Reaction score
I don't think the seahawks should be focusing too much on RGIII. He has a fantastic pass, we have fantastic cb. He is a great runner, we have fast linebackers and safeties. He throws great screen passes to Pierre Garcon, KJ Wright smells screen passes a mile away. He is going to get his obviously, but he is not going to win the game for Washington.

The Redskin's offense should not be working as well as it is. They run the same play again and again, now its a short pass, now a run, an RGIII run and now a screen, all from the same formation. Big whoop, this should not be working at the pro level.

So what is the secret? Its not RGIII, its the surprising sixth round rookie running back Alfred Morris. Do they coat him in vaseline before the game? That is the only thing I can think off, he is not fast, not explosive and has no change of pace, but he sure can put up yards. If the seahawks can stop him the washington offense crumbles. Their one play suddenly becomes one dimensional and will not last all game.

BamKam

Reaction score
Griffin played in arguably the worst division in football and Wilson played in arguably the toughest.

Both are going to be stars in the league for years to come though. I cant hate on RG3 too much because he did win me $800 in fantasy football this year (drafted him in like the 5th round in all my fantasy leagues)

JSeahawks

Reaction score
seahawksTopGear":1p4l5ft9 said:
I don't think the seahawks should be focusing too much on RGIII. He has a fantastic pass, we have fantastic cb. He is a great runner, we have fast linebackers and safeties. He throws great screen passes to Pierre Garcon, KJ Wright smells screen passes a mile away. He is going to get his obviously, but he is not going to win the game for Washington.

The Redskin's offense should not be working as well as it is. They run the same play again and again, now its a short pass, now a run, an RGIII run and now a screen, all from the same formation. Big whoop, this should not be working at the pro level.

So what is the secret? Its not RGIII, its the surprising sixth round rookie running back Alfred Morris. Do they coat him in vaseline before the game? That is the only thing I can think off, he is not fast, not explosive and has no change of pace, but he sure can put up yards. If the seahawks can stop him the washington offense crumbles. Their one play suddenly becomes one dimensional and will not last all game.

Solid 1st post! Welcome to .net.

CurryStopstheRuns

Reaction score
BamKam":1nlfkwv6 said:
We have some undersized players but are very quick which helps out a lot IMO. I think Wagner and Irvin both have huge games on Sunday.

I am curious to hear which players that you consider "undersized?"

chris98251

Reaction score
Earl Thomas and Russell Wilson, we can't win anything because they are too short!

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Seahawk Sailor":3mqpdm3d said:
Remember, if our defense was built to stop their offense because we see it every day, then their defense was built to stop ours for the same reasons. Goes both ways.

Its not because we practice against it every day its because our personnel is suited to play against that type of offense.

bestfightstory

Reaction score
Our defensive co-ordinator has abundant experience against this style of offense, going back years to his days as a coach at NDSU.

I don't think we will be surprised by what we see. Although stopping it will come down to making plays.

Glad we have speed to burn.

A

Anonymous

Look, here's where I'm at:

As BFS points out, Gus knows how to prepare for this offense. Set your timepieces to the fact that our guys will be coached-up for this game with a level of detail like no game has been covered before. With the overwhelming amount of film available on Griffin, there is no end to the data which will help them to eek-out every wisp of intel on his game. Look for a healthy amount of adjustability to be built in to the scheme as well.

Let's also be comforted by the fact that we get Browner back on the field as well.

I'm not worried. The defense will be ready for this game.

chris98251

Reaction score
Additionally Pete watched a ton of film on what Shanahan was doing as he tweeked our offense to allow the Read Option to be implemented, they have been in the film room a lot watching that offense in the last two months.

Latest posts