Wilson wins Pro Football Talk Rookie of the Year

The Essential Online Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. RATING: PG-13
  • I'm sure these will be rolling in over the next few weeks. Here's one to start them off.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/12/31/pfts-2012-postseason-awards/

Mike Florio wrote:The AP award likely will go to either of the top two picks in the draft, but it shouldn’t. Wilson entered the league short on height and long on smarts and talent and determination. Russell Wilson commanded the No. 1 spot on the depth chart in Seattle, beating out big-money free-agent Matt Flynn and incumbent starter Tarvaris Jackson, and Wilson then began to prove week-in and week-out that he is as good as his more famous counterparts who were selected much higher.

Despite the 11-5 record for the Colts, Luck had too many turnovers (contributing to a mediocre passer rating of 76.5), and Griffin missed a game and crunch time in another due to an inability to avoid contact. While Luck broke Cam Newton’s rookie passing yardage record, Wilson tied Peyton Manning’s record for touchdown passes by a rookie — and Wilson showed that he could run the ball effectively (489 yards, four touchdowns) without getting hit or, in turn, hurt.

The best news is that the three rookie quarterbacks all made it to the playoffs, and they’ll all make their postseason debuts on the same day.
    We want the ball and we're gonna score.
    LawHawk
    NET Veteran

• And when was the last time a Rookie accounted for 30 (THIRTY!!!!!) TDs? Ummmm...NEVER until this year!
    "Make good teams look bad and make bad teams look terrible!" -Michael Robinson
    BlueTalons
    NET Veteran

• I want to say a year ago. Newton ran for like 14 and threw like 21.
    KARAVARUS
    NET Veteran

• Had to look it up...dang...Cam had 14 TD's RUSHING to go with his 21 TD's passing...

(edit...KARAVARUS I was looking it up when you posted...)
    BlueTalons
    NET Veteran

• This is nice. It is very doubtful Wilson will get the AP award (RGIII almost undoubtedly will get the award) but grabbing a couple of these popular sites' award, coupled with a playoff victory - or two - will ease the blow.
    Driver of the PC/JS Super Bowl wagon since 2010
    Sherman looks like a ballet master in grand jeté –
    a trash-talking, dreadlocked Baryshnikov suspended
    impossibly above the turf – pro football's paean to
    wanton human destruction slips into the sublime.
    TDOTSEAHAWK
    NET Veteran

• I just gained a lot of respect for that publication.
    falcongoggles
    NET Veteran

• I think you can give it to either RGIII or Wilson. I just don't want it to go to Luck and his 18 picks and 9 fumbles. I can argue Wilson over Luck all day long and make a great case, With RG3, the stats look great for both of them.

All I know is there are going to be lots of journalists who think Wilson is the best, even if even more journalists think RG3 is better.
    We want the ball and we're gonna score.
    LawHawk
    NET Veteran

• BlueTalons wrote:And when was the last time a Rookie accounted for 30 (THIRTY!!!!!) TDs? Ummmm...NEVER until this year!

Cam Newton has 35 Td's as a rookie. 21 passing TD's. 14 rushing TD's. So I would think RW would be #2 in total Td's for a rookie.

RW= 30 Total TD's.
    Luck= 28 Total TD's.
    RG3= 27 Total TD's.
    jlwaters1
    NET Veteran

• TDOTSEAHAWK wrote:This is nice. It is very doubtful Wilson will get the AP award (RGIII almost undoubtedly will get the award) but grabbing a couple of these popular sites' award, coupled with a playoff victory - or two - will ease the blow.

When does the AP award come out? If its this week, I wouldn't be surprised if Wilson gets the award. Then the playoff game can be marketed throughout the nation as "Rookie of the Year Russell Wilson vs All Pro Rookie Phenom RGIII", or something like that.
    RiggoReincarnated
    NET Starter

• jlwaters1 wrote:
    BlueTalons wrote:And when was the last time a Rookie accounted for 30 (THIRTY!!!!!) TDs? Ummmm...NEVER until this year!

Cam Newton has 35 Td's as a rookie. 21 passing TD's. 14 rushing TD's. So I would think RW would be #2 in total Td's for a rookie.

RW= 30 Total TD's.
    Luck= 28 Total TD's.
    RG3= 27 Total TD's.

See my post following. Still, quite impressive!
    BlueTalons
    NET Veteran

• falcongoggles wrote:I just gained a lot of respect for that publication.

And now get ready to lose it again. Look at another item Florio published this morning on PFT:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... fail-mary/

Absolutely maddening.

Anyway, love to see Russell get some love like that.
    Missing_Clink
    NET Veteran

• This will not be the last blinkered article about that TOUCHDOWN to surface this week. It just so happened that it was a replacement ref that made that call. Every team gets wronged at some point.
    #NEXTMANUP
    Evil_Shenanigans
    NET Veteran

• Evil_Shenanigans wrote:This will not be the last blinkered article about that TOUCHDOWN to surface this week. It just so happened that it was a replacement ref that made that call. Every team gets wronged at some point.

Read what you wrote... We as fans can't even make up our mind. So was it a "TOUCHDOWN" or were the Packers "wronged"?

I have taken a stance that its a TD and ill defend it until death. No one was wronged.
    KARAVARUS
    NET Veteran

• KARAVARUS wrote:
    Evil_Shenanigans wrote:This will not be the last blinkered article about that TOUCHDOWN to surface this week. It just so happened that it was a replacement ref that made that call. Every team gets wronged at some point.

Read what you wrote... We as fans can't even make up our mind. So was it a "TOUCHDOWN" or were the Packers "wronged"?

I have taken a stance that its a TD and ill defend it until death. No one was wronged.

Amen. Simultaneous possession, touchdown seahawks.
    WAR BEAVER!!
    CANHawk
    * Gangnameister *

• And even if you take the position that it wasn't a touchdown, we served up the #2 seed to Green Bay on a silver platter by beating the 49ers last week and all they had to do to take it was beat the Vikings yesterday. Losing the #2 seed had nothing to do with the "Fail Mary" and everything to do with the fact that the Packers choked in Minnesota.

Don't get me wrong: I'm glad to see Florio believes Wilson deserves ROY, but as far as respect for that site is concerned, I lost any when every single comment I posted on one of his numerous "Fail Mary" posts was deleted for no reason.
    Shadowhawk
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *

• Congrats, Russell Wilson. Well EARNED accolades. This guy has had nothing handed to him throughout his career. Keep working for it, keep winning!
    HawkAroundTheClock
    NET Veteran

• KARAVARUS wrote:
    Evil_Shenanigans wrote:This will not be the last blinkered article about that TOUCHDOWN to surface this week. It just so happened that it was a replacement ref that made that call. Every team gets wronged at some point.

Same. This article showed me the light.

http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/co ... git/17706/
    Image Image
    AF_Hawk
    NET Veteran

• I didn't really like Florio's article that much anyways. Not a big fan of his picks. Like for executive of the year, he said John Elway, and Elway doesn't really deserve it, John Schneider does. Elway made a move my mom would make, John Schneider made a move everyone was afraid to do, and many more that no one would have touched with a 10 foot long pole. And they worked.
    hawksfan515
    NET Veteran

• You have to love Floria telling Seahawks fans to stop whining when his Packers just lost to the Vikings and his first complaint is about a questionable call from week three. That only tells me that the Packers have gotten so use to being on the favorable side of questionable calls that they don't know how to process one that didn't go their way, even after the replay booth and the league officially upheld the call. Hey Mike, you might have the slightest bit of argument had anyone beside Packer fans acknowledged it being a bad call but that didn't happen for very good reason so get over your whinny self. Go back and listen to the broadcaster's during the play and you will hear comments like simultaneous possession and Tate has control of the ball.

Edit found it:

If this call was so obviously an interception in live action like any swindler would contend, then why did the experienced play-by-play man Tirico make the following call?

The game’s final play is a Wilson lob to the end zone, which is…fought for by Tate with Jennings! Simultaneous, who has it? Who will they give it to? TOUCHDOWN!

Weird how he was so convinced after the fact.
    The Lion has no interest in the opinion of the sheep.
    RichNhansom
    NET Veteran

• QB / Total TDs / INTs + Fumbles
    Wilson: 30 / 15
    RG3: 27 / 17
    Luck: 28 / 28

:thcoffee:
    For custom Seahawk backgrounds and signatures, click HERE!
    SE174
    NET Veteran

• SE174 wrote:QB / Total TDs / INTs + Fumbles

This argument needs to gain more traction ASAP
    Missing_Clink
    NET Veteran

• RichNhansom wrote:You have to love Floria telling Seahawks fans to stop whining when his Packers just lost to the Vikings and his first complaint is about a questionable call from week three.

Florio was a Steeler's fan, and PFT started as a Steeler fan site. He's only hyping the "Fail Mary" because he knows it sells. Every time that site publishes an article about it, that story hits their top-5 views list.

I think it's hilarious that the cheeseheads are still crying about that game. I can't wait to hear what they have to say if they actually make it to the NFCCG and we beat their asses in Lambeau.
    HansGruber
    NET Veteran

• all the comments are so one sided and delusional in that article
    A World Peace
    NET Practice Squad

RG3 doesn't have 17 turnovers, its 5 interceptions and 2 fumbles lost.

My opinion of ROY is either one of Wilson or Griffin deserve it, and I wouldn't be mad either way.
    Killa Kam
    NET Veteran

• Killa Kam wrote:
    SE174 wrote:QB / Total TDs / INTs + Fumbles

My opinion of ROY is either one of Wilson or Griffin deserve it, and I wouldn't be mad either way.

He's fumbled 12 times though, and fumbles are about a 50/50 recover rate.
    hawksfan515
    NET Veteran

Is this fumbles or fumbles lost?

With TD and Turnovers (Int and fumbles lost) per ESPN

WIlson: 30/11
    Luck: 28/19
    RG3: 27/7
    rdskns4eva
    NET Rookie

• hawksfan515 wrote:
    Killa Kam wrote:
    SE174 wrote:QB / Total TDs / INTs + Fumbles

He's fumbled 12 times though, and fumbles are about a 50/50 recover rate.

You can say he has fumbled 12 times, but you cant say he has 17 turnovers when he doesnt.
    rdskns4eva
    NET Rookie

• rdskns4eva wrote:You can say he has fumbled 12 times, but you cant say he has 17 turnovers when he doesnt.

It's more the thought of that RG3 is consistently fumbling, and he will regress to the mean average of fumble recoveries, which is 50/50 instead of a 1/6 recovery rate for the defense, which is absurdly good. I'd say the same thing if RG3 fumbled 12 time and 10 were recovered, that it should improve as fumble recoveries are about 50/50.
    hawksfan515
    NET Veteran

• hawksfan515 wrote:I didn't really like Florio's article that much anyways. Not a big fan of his picks. Like for executive of the year, he said John Elway, and Elway doesn't really deserve it, John Schneider does. Elway made a move my mom would make, John Schneider made a move everyone was afraid to do, and many more that no one would have touched with a 10 foot long pole. And they worked.

Not only that, but Peyton Manning will be playing golf in October five years from now. Wilson will be contending for Championships. Also, Manning is making 40 times Wilson's salary. Both have had similar values to their team THIS season, while Manning cost far more with less of a future. And that's not even talking about the rest of Seattle's clearly superior offseason.
    kearly
    * Mr Random Thought *

• 1. If RGIII gets it his numbers say he deserves it
    2. If Wilson gets it He deserves it
    3. I love how a 49ers fan a Jags fan and a Pats fan were defending the seahawks with no one has ever got screwed like the Hawks and one of them brought up more then SB40. I guess I am just happy someone noticed outside of seattle
    4. I think its a prfect time to CO ROY it. Fact is they both deserve it
    "Go Hawks" Russlemainia
    Adopt a Rookie - Jackson Jeffcoat
    SeaHawk80
    NET Rookie

• RG3 is the ROY of my Fantasy Team.

RW is the ROY of my SOUL!
    Shock2k
    NET Veteran

It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 4:38 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]