Football Outsiders final rankings, Seahawks on top

kearly

Reaction score
Seahawks are now the second best 11-5 team since 1991, would have been #1 if not for dropping so much in week 17. Colts are the worst 11-5 team in that span.

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
file.php

This is amazing.

Apeman00

Reaction score
If I read this right. The NFC West had the toughest schedule as well. Seahawks had the 4th toughest schedule.

The Radish

Reaction score
Those rankings and a $5 bill will get you a cup of coffee anywhere but Seattle.

I'm thinkin we can change them this coming weekend.

:les:

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
DVOA means nothing. The Redskins are probably the hottest team in the NFC right now.

Going to be tough. Very very tough.

MidwestHawker

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":eu3pt7fs said:
DVOA means nothing. The Redskins are probably the hottest team in the NFC right now.

Going to be tough. Very very tough.

DVOA is far from meaningless. It's a lot better predictor than whatever sort-by-win-streak-disregard-SOS idea that's scaring you about Washington.

Not that I think this coming game is a given or anything, but we're a favorite and should win. DVOA helps give some applicable numbers that show why.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
MidwestHawker":3fcobjmv said:
DVOA is far from meaningless. It's a lot better predictor than whatever sort-by-win-streak-disregard-SOS idea that's scaring you about Washington.

Not that I think this coming game is a given or anything, but we're a favorite and should win. DVOA helps give some applicable numbers that show why.

#10, #46 .. those are the only numbers you should be concerned about this weekend.

formido

Reaction score
Also, Football Outsiders has Wilson as the best rookie QB this year, which emphatically lines up with my eyeball test and reasoning.

---

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/ ... -worst-qbs

Bonus Top 5: Rookie Edition 1) Russell Wilson, Seattle Seahawks: 1,014 DYAR (867 passing DYAR, 147 rushing) 2) Robert Griffin III, Washington Redskins: 838 DYAR (729 passing DYAR, 109 rushing) 3) Andrew Luck, Indianapolis Colts: 379 DYAR (255 passing DYAR, 124 rushing) 4) Ryan Tannehill, Miami Dolphins: 39 DYAR (37 passing DYAR, 2 rushing) 5) Brandon Weeden, Cleveland Browns: -266 DYAR (-290 passing DYAR, 24 rushing)

Wilson surpasses Ryan for the top rookie quarterback season in FO's database and becomes the first freshman at the position to surpass the 1,000 DYAR barrier. (Ryan actually edged over 1,000 DYAR passing, but negative rushing value dropped him below the line.) He also tied Manning's rookie record with 26 touchdown passes, and when you include his four rushing scores, only Cam Newton (21 touchdowns passing, 14 rushing) produced more combined touchdowns in his first year.

Griffin finishes fourth among rookies in our DYAR database behind Wilson, Ryan and Ben Roethlisberger, and Luck is 13th. Luck set a rookie record with 4,374 passing yards, but he completed fewer than 55 percent of his passes and had 18 interceptions, more than Griffin (5) and Wilson (10) combined. Tannehill had a pretty typical rookie campaign, but Weeden was a bust in his first season; given his advanced age (he's a year and a half older than Ryan), he will need to improve radically in his second season to salvage his NFL career.

MidwestHawker

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":1v16lrf4 said:
MidwestHawker":1v16lrf4 said:

#10, #46 .. those are the only numbers you should be concerned about this weekend.

Because actual hard statistics that have predictive value have no place in the conversations leading up to the game?

Don't hate math. Embrace it.

kearly

Reaction score
The fact that Wilson ranked as the #1 best all time rookie in DYAR is amazing considering that Seattle was near the very top in of the league in handoffs. DYAR is a counting stat, and Wilson topped the charts with about as many snaps as RG3 and WAY fewer than Andrew Luck.

pinksheets

Reaction score
Can people who hate stats stop coming into threads about stats to tell us how meaningless stats are?

kearly

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":1oir4gs2 said:

They aren't. They have won seven in a row, but most of them were very close and only one of those wins came over a playoff team- the fading Baltimore Ravens. That plus they haven't been the same team in recent weeks with Griffin playing hurt.

This is a tremendous matchup advantage for Seattle. They have a gimpy read option QB who throws a ton of screen passes. We have a defense that has done very well this season against both read option QBs and the screen pass. They have a good RB who is more strong than fast. Seattle's run D has done well against that profile of RB. Their defense sucks. Our offense is on fire. Huge blowout potential. If Seattle doesn't shoot themselves in the foot and things play out as would be expected, there is no reason to be afraid of the Redskins.

I'd say that the Seahawks, Broncos, Packers, and even the Bengals are hitting the playoffs hotter than Washington is. The Patriots and 49ers should not be overlooked either.

kearly

Reaction score
pinksheets":3vjoui50 said:
Can people who hate stats stop coming into threads about stats to tell us how meaningless stats are?

Thank you. Frankly I don't understand the surge in anti-intellectualism this board has seen the last month. We have a ground breaking team at every level- players, coaches, and front office. Advanced metrics (Advanced NFL stats, PFF, FO, etc) love our team, and those metrics pass the eyeball test in flying colors. Smart people are saying very nice things about our team right now. Why not embrace it?

JSeahawks

Reaction score
pinksheets":1nf7we9b said:

Even as somebody who hates all the advanced stats (I prefer the eye test, and just watchin football, and I dont care about all this DVOA stuff etc, etc) I totally agree with you.

There's enough different content on this board for everybody, enjoy what you enjoy, no need to rag on or complain about the stuff you dont enjoy. From the thread title its obvious what this topic would be about and nobody is forced to click upon it.