Black Monday Impact?

The Essential Online Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. RATING: PG-13
Black Monday Impact?
Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:15 pm
  • I know that the Seahawks aren't looking to fire anybody. But with soooo many openings around the league, you would think some of those coach/GM searches would look to Seattle, especially with our continued growth and success.

    Anybody know (or heard a rumor) of any coach or front office guy we might be in danger of losing? Head coach or even down the ladder?

    Thanks.
    Terry
    (The Lurker)
    User avatar
    tdlabrie
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
     
    Posts: 1094
    Joined: Sat May 02, 2009 5:01 pm


Re: Black Monday Impact?
Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:32 pm
  • I would think Cable would be a very strong candidate, with Bradley and Bevell also considered. I would be shocked if Cable is still with us next year. He will surely have an opportunity at least at the OC level if not head coach.
    We want the ball and we're gonna score.
    User avatar
    LawHawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3143
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:04 pm


Re: Black Monday Impact?
Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:36 pm
  • I don't think any coaches will leave. They have a great deal here I believe. Great fans, owner, stadium and team. Allen has the ability to match or better any offer he wishes. If we win the SB one might leave until then the job is not done
    User avatar
    Happypuppy
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1858
    Joined: Sat Sep 04, 2010 5:40 pm


Re: Black Monday Impact?
Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:50 pm
  • As I mentioned elsewhere unless the rules have changed this year as long as we continue winning they can't talk to our coaches as they will be busy with the teams presentation.

    So let some of those come from teams already out.

    I too doubt Cable will leave here after one season.

    :les:
    Image
    Please God, give us some football,,,quickly!
    User avatar
    The Radish
    * NET Radish *
     
    Posts: 18427
    Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:18 pm
    Location: Spokane, Wa.


Re: Black Monday Impact?
Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:02 pm
  • LawHawk wrote:I would think Cable would be a very strong candidate, with Bradley and Bevell also considered. I would be shocked if Cable is still with us next year. He will surely have an opportunity at least at the OC level if not head coach.


    I'm thinking the same thing. I will say he deserves it just from wait he did in oakland this just adds more to his credentials. I hope he stays for a few more years.
    User avatar
    SeahawkGeoff
    NET Practice Squad
     
    Posts: 49
    Joined: Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:50 pm


Re: Black Monday Impact?
Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:02 pm
  • I'll be surprised if Cable is not here next year. He might interview, but I think he'll decide to stay here for a year or two. We're on the cusp of something great here, and I think he'll choose to be part of it, at least for a while. Remember, he came here after being the head coach of a dysfunctional franchise. Given the juxtaposition of that experience with this one, I can't help but think he won't be all that eager to jump into another reclamation project.
    49ers webzone: Win or lose, i hope you injure Sherman. Like a serious career ending injury. I don't want him to get paid.
    49ers webzone: noise should not be the overwhelming reason a team is favored. they need to spray noise-damping foam onto the ceiling of that place.
    User avatar
    BlueTalon
    * NET Curmudgeon *
    * NET Curmudgeon *
     
    Posts: 7372
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:06 am
    Location: Eastern Washington


Re: Black Monday Impact?
Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:07 pm
  • I am guessing Norton gets interviewed due to "the rule" and the success of our LBer's. I don't think he leaves. We may see the same with Kris Richard. I am guessing Cable is a guy that certain teams would want, like perhaps Arizona. But something tells me they will look for a QB guru like Andy Reid or try to talk Holmgren out of retiring since he has a place in AZ (or at least did).

    Looking at today makes me laugh at how many guys even up through the preseason said Pete was toast and Schneider should be axed for "not addressing the QB position satisfactorily." Many were mad that they didn't go get Kolb last season. I'm starting to think they knew what they were doing. Now how many coaches would still have jobs if they had done exactly what Pete and John did in acquiring Flynn and drafting Wilson? Something tells me Whisenunt wouldn't have been canned. Shurmur may still have a job. Crennel would be in a much more likely to maintain his job position. That's at least 3 guys that are now out of work that did a worse job than P/J, so I guess our guys aren't as bad as some made them out to be.
    Image
    R.I.P. Dad. I miss you. You will never be forgotten
    1/12/39 - 8/7/08
    User avatar
    SharkHawk
    * NET Alumni *
     
    Posts: 3883
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:47 am


Re: Black Monday Impact?
Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:08 pm
  • If we lose coaches I wont lose any sleep. Yes, continuity is good, but sometimes new, fresh ideas are even better.

    As long as we keep Pete Carroll and John Schneider the rest doesnt matter. If one of our guys gets a head coaching gig, so long and good luck to him!
    Image
    User avatar
    JSeahawks
    * NET Moderator *
     
    Posts: 18499
    Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:35 pm
    Location: Milwaukie, Oregon


Re: Black Monday Impact?
Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:10 pm

Re: Black Monday Impact?
Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:12 pm
  • Haha; you beat me to it, Sailor. That article is friggin' great.
    Rams bet status: honored. Bradford still sucks.
    RedAlice is right.
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    User avatar
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*
     
    Posts: 24233
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 8:39 am
    Location: Kirkland, WA


Re: Black Monday Impact?
Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:16 pm
  • Bevell and Bradley could be possibilities for SD only, imo. They go on the cheap and try to reel in naïve types.
    User avatar
    pehawk
    * Report Button *
     
    Posts: 9924
    Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:08 pm


Re: Black Monday Impact?
Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:18 pm
  • I wouldn't mind someone poaching Bevell. Bradley, I want to stay, but there are some points of concern. We play soft zone in some of the most mind-boggling situations. Still, he has our defense playing at an elite level without much of a pass rush, and that is impressive.
    Rams bet status: honored. Bradford still sucks.
    RedAlice is right.
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    User avatar
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*
     
    Posts: 24233
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 8:39 am
    Location: Kirkland, WA


Re: Black Monday Impact?
Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:19 pm
  • I'm more excited by the released NFL players who will be flooding the market once the new coaches start remaking their rosters. You just know Pete and John can't wait to start churning again.
    GO HAWKS!!!

    Visit my Seahawks blog at 17power.blogspot.com!

    Follow me on Twitter at @17power
    User avatar
    MontanaHawk05
    * 17Power Blogger *
     
    Posts: 11234
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 8:46 am


Re: Black Monday Impact?
Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:29 pm
  • Say Bevell goes, who do you want calling our "O". I say steal the guy from Baylor if you're looking at college guys.... or perhaps Shurmur or Whisenunt. Whiz is terrible at developing QB's, but seems fine when he has a good one there as far as playcalling goes. I thought Shurmur did a pretty good job when he was just an OC, not so much as a HC, but we have talent here and I think he could do pretty well. As long as we don't hire Eric Mangenius, I'll be happy.
    Image
    R.I.P. Dad. I miss you. You will never be forgotten
    1/12/39 - 8/7/08
    User avatar
    SharkHawk
    * NET Alumni *
     
    Posts: 3883
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:47 am


Re: Black Monday Impact?
Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:31 pm
  • Agreed on Shurmur and Whiz.

    But, early reports are Wiz is ALREADY on Buffalo's list. I think that'd be a good hire by Buffalo, he might have a shot there. Maybe.

    Shurmur was pretty impressive as an OC. Very limited talent and a rookie Bradford.
    User avatar
    pehawk
    * Report Button *
     
    Posts: 9924
    Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:08 pm


Re: Black Monday Impact?
Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:40 pm
  • RolandDeschain wrote:I wouldn't mind someone poaching Bevell. Bradley, I want to stay, but there are some points of concern. We play soft zone in some of the most mind-boggling situations. Still, he has our defense playing at an elite level without much of a pass rush, and that is impressive.

    You bet,,It's the "Bend Don't Break" that is frustrating to watch sometimes, but our Coaching can't be doing too much wrong by going with this concept. :th2thumbs: , if it ain't broke don't try'n fix it.
    scutterhawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3377
    Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:48 pm


Re: Black Monday Impact?
Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:54 pm
  • MontanaHawk05 wrote:I'm more excited by the released NFL players who will be flooding the market once the new coaches start remaking their rosters. You just know Pete and John can't wait to start churning again.

    I was thinking the exact same thing. We use 3-4 and 4-3 type guys, and when some of those teams change coaches they change schemes, which means only good things for us as vultures.
    SEAHAWKS.NET. We All We Got, We All We Need
    User avatar
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
    *Scott of Smacksville*
     
    Posts: 10603
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:14 am


Re: Black Monday Impact?
Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:04 pm
  • Read the moronic comments at the end of that Wilson article. Guys are saying that teams didn't miss, it wasn't their fault, that Wilson was "rated a 4th, 5th, or 6th round player". Who the hell do they think is rating those players at those draft positions? It's the teams you idiots. They felt Wilson was a 4th, 5th, 6th round or worse talent. That is why they got fired. They can't see talent. John Schneider actually saw Russ as a 1st round talent but knew he could get him in the 2nd... Pete talked him back to the 3rd. Brilliant move. Got Wagner and Wilson for the price of just Wilson if Schneider had taken him at 2. May have gotten the best offensive and defensive rookie out of that one decision. THAT is why it is black monday for so many front offices and coaches. I think the average NFL fan is getting dumber and dumber with each passing day. They are using draft grades created by those same guys as justification for keeping their jobs by waiting on him in the 5th or 6th where they thought they could pick him, because they said he was only worth a fifth or sixth. That makes zero sense to anybody with a brain.
    Image
    R.I.P. Dad. I miss you. You will never be forgotten
    1/12/39 - 8/7/08
    User avatar
    SharkHawk
    * NET Alumni *
     
    Posts: 3883
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:47 am


Re: Black Monday Impact?
Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:17 pm
  • SharkHawk wrote:Looking at today makes me laugh at how many guys even up through the preseason said Pete was toast and Schneider should be axed for "not addressing the QB position satisfactorily." Many were mad that they didn't go get Kolb last season. I'm starting to think they knew what they were doing.

    You know what's crazy-scary-wild-insane-cool about that? We're only three years into Pete Carroll's four year rebuilding plan!
    49ers webzone: Win or lose, i hope you injure Sherman. Like a serious career ending injury. I don't want him to get paid.
    49ers webzone: noise should not be the overwhelming reason a team is favored. they need to spray noise-damping foam onto the ceiling of that place.
    User avatar
    BlueTalon
    * NET Curmudgeon *
    * NET Curmudgeon *
     
    Posts: 7372
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:06 am
    Location: Eastern Washington


Re: Black Monday Impact?
Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:20 pm
  • BlueTalon wrote:You know what's crazy-scary-wild-insane-cool about that? We're only three years into Pete Carroll's four year rebuilding plan!


    Papa Pete's an older man, you can't blame him for premature success... :lol:
    Rams bet status: honored. Bradford still sucks.
    RedAlice is right.
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    User avatar
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*
     
    Posts: 24233
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 8:39 am
    Location: Kirkland, WA


Re: Black Monday Impact?
Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:53 pm
  • BlueTalon wrote:I'll be surprised if Cable is not here next year. He might interview, but I think he'll decide to stay here for a year or two. We're on the cusp of something great here, and I think he'll choose to be part of it, at least for a while. Remember, he came here after being the head coach of a dysfunctional franchise. Given the juxtaposition of that experience with this one, I can't help but think he won't be all that eager to jump into another reclamation project.

    Cable is a local guy...not seeing him going anywhere. Isn't he also "Assistant Head Coach"?
    Image
    "Make good teams look bad and make bad teams look terrible!" -Michael Robinson
    User avatar
    BlueTalons
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1114
    Joined: Mon May 11, 2009 11:36 am
    Location: Spanaway, WA


Re: Black Monday Impact?
Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:57 pm
  • i would like to see Gus Bradley get some serious offer and take it.

    The hire Wisenhut as our DC. That would be beautiful.
    Image
    Cassius Marsh is my 2014 Adopt a Pro Bowl Rookie
    User avatar
    Atradees
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2532
    Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:22 pm
    Location: South of Heaven


Re: Black Monday Impact?
Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:12 pm
  • Atradees wrote:i would like to see Gus Bradley get some serious offer and take it.

    The hire Wisenhut as our DC. That would be beautiful.

    Except that Whisenhunt is an OC.
    Image
    User avatar
    Jazzhawk
    * NET News Scoop *
    * NET News Scoop *
     
    Posts: 8956
    Joined: Sat Apr 18, 2009 6:16 pm


Re: Black Monday Impact?
Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:34 pm
  • If we lost Bradley or Bevell I would promote Norton and Cable up to DC and OC, or just let Pete call the defense and Cable to call the offense. Hope we can keep everyone at least one more season but Cable probably deserves another shot somewhere, and at a premium location this time, like Chicago or San Diego that already have QB's.
    NFL, all your Owlz are belong to us!
    User avatar
    12th_Bob
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1745
    Joined: Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:56 pm


Re: Black Monday Impact?
Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:58 pm
  • Not likely Bevell will get his first HC gig over the growing numbers of candidates out there. If any team wants to fleece us of coaches it'd be for Cable who has had HC experience. Cable is the mind behind our rushing attack and offensive line schemes. We got two offensive linemen and a RB to the pro-bowl because of his efforts. Bevell is a decent OC but he's still green. People credit Bevell for implementing the option read in Seattle even though he's never ran it before. The answer to that riddle is Cable.
    Russ Willstrong
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 625
    Joined: Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:31 am


Re: Black Monday Impact?
Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:23 pm
  • Pete is the one who went with the option read. I am sure Cable figured out the particulars, but Pete was the one who got it implemented into the gameplan. Cable never ran it before, so it isn't like it was his baby or something. He's a darn good coach though, but I think he and Pete work very well together. Notice Cable isn't standing 2 feet from Pete like a lapdog at all times. One really interesting thing that is a bit off-topic, but sort of on, is that if you compare how Hawk coaches are even aligned on the sideline it is different than most teams. Most teams have a bunch of guys milling around the head coach. Not the Hawks. They are seemingly assigned places to be, and move out of that spot to talk to specific players, but notice how quickly Pete knows where to run when he wants to talk to Cable, Bevell, Bradley, or specific players? I seriously think part of his "doing things better than they've ever been done before" involves a map for where people are to prevent big communication miscues and such.

    I think this benefits coaches and really prepares them for their own head jobs, because they are in charge of something. They are a mini-head-coach in a way and handle their business, and Pete is the CEO and his office is right on the sidelines in the middle with space around him to do his thing. He has a full view of everybody and I've seen him eschew the headset and run have discussions with Cable and Bevell many times, and knew where they were. The whole system works well. I'm ok if they lose a playoff game if they play well and give it 100%, because they are way on the right track. I have nothing but 100% praise for this staff and want them all back next year for certain. I just don't want Whisenunt as our defensive coordinator as somebody suggested earlier.
    Image
    R.I.P. Dad. I miss you. You will never be forgotten
    1/12/39 - 8/7/08
    User avatar
    SharkHawk
    * NET Alumni *
     
    Posts: 3883
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:47 am


Re: Black Monday Impact?
Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:30 pm
  • Russell Wilson for offensive coordinator if Bevell goes elsewhere!
    Image
    User avatar
    JSeahawks
    * NET Moderator *
     
    Posts: 18499
    Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:35 pm
    Location: Milwaukie, Oregon


Re: Black Monday Impact?
Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:34 pm
  • I think Cable would actually be least likely to leave. He had a head coaching gig already with a couple incidents and as long as he is getting paid well here - I don't see why he would want to leave. He strikes me as a guy who just loves to coach olineman and he has all the freedom to coach the running game.

    Bevell just doesn't strike me as a head coach. He seems like a career co-ordinator. He has never been a Head Coach of a team as a professional. Moreover, who would want to pass up the opportunity to work with Wilson for the next couple of years and bide your time until a big pay day. He, like Cable, has full reign over the passing game. The job seems ideal for him.

    Once again - the previous two are definitely predicated on money but if we are paying them well - I don't see a great reason for either of them to leave.

    I think Bradley would be the most likely to leave - been through a couple regimes - probably has his own ideas on head coaching at this point. Moreover, because it is Pete's scheme they are running - he probably doesn't have as much freedom to run what he wants.
    Driver of the PC/JS Super Bowl wagon since 2010
    Image
    Sherman looks like a ballet master in grand jeté –
    a trash-talking, dreadlocked Baryshnikov suspended
    impossibly above the turf – pro football's paean to
    wanton human destruction slips into the sublime.
    User avatar
    TDOTSEAHAWK
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2931
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:16 pm
    Location: Hamilton


Re: Black Monday Impact?
Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:37 pm
  • I think the most likely to leave is Ken Norton Jr. Not for a head coaching job, but for a coordinator job somewhere. Although he has been pretty loyal to Pete Carroll, so maybe that will keep him here.

    I dont see Bevell, Cable or Bradley getting head coaching offers this year. Maybe next year if we're really good.
    Image
    User avatar
    JSeahawks
    * NET Moderator *
     
    Posts: 18499
    Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:35 pm
    Location: Milwaukie, Oregon


Re: Black Monday Impact?
Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:33 pm
  • When Ken was trying to get into coaching at the college level, he went to his alma mater (UCLA) and reportedly was snubbed. So then he went to Pete who was willing to take him on as a GA. He's been coaching for Pete ever since.

    I'm sure KNJ will move on at some point, but I don't know that it will be soon.
    Help bring peace to the South LA / Puget Sound communities. Are you in?
    http://www.abetterla.org | http://www.abetterseattle.com
    User avatar
    sc85sis
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*
     
    Posts: 4576
    Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:40 am
    Location: Southern CA


Re: Black Monday Impact?
Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:40 pm
  • Do people realize Cable went to Snohomish High School? He's taking this over when Pete's gone.
    User avatar
    pehawk
    * Report Button *
     
    Posts: 9924
    Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:08 pm


Re: Black Monday Impact?
Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:34 pm
  • i'm fairly confidant that All our coaches will be here as long as pete is.. None of them were anything before him, and there is a good chemistry
    It isn't like any of them are in a hurry to go anywhere else.. I don't think so anyhow.
    --/*Seattle Seahawks*\--
    User avatar
    hawks4thewin
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 700
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:42 pm


Re: Black Monday Impact?
Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:49 pm
  • pehawk wrote:Bevell and Bradley could be possibilities for SD only, imo. They go on the cheap and try to reel in naïve types.

    I hope SD hires both!
    42-13, 29-3, and 23-17 and a Lombardi trophy from THIS millennium.....deal with it niner trolls

    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!
    User avatar
    Sports Hernia
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 10824
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:36 pm
    Location: Lombardi Land


Re: Black Monday Impact?
Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:52 pm
  • hawks4thewin wrote:i'm fairly confidant that All our coaches will be here as long as pete is.. None of them were anything before him, and there is a good chemistry. Isn't like any of them are in a hurry to go anywhere else.. I don't think so anyhow.


    :13: When the team is playing well together, assistant coaches are less likely to leave. It is a great feeling to be on a winning team after what Seattle has been through the past five years. Asst. coaches usually leave when there is dissatisfaction on some level.
    Bigpumpkin
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
     
    Posts: 4764
    Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 8:13 pm
    Location: Puyallup, WA USA


Re: Black Monday Impact?
Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:16 pm
  • I don't worry about any of this. Greg Knapp is out there and is newly available.
    two dog
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 718
    Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:45 pm
    Location: Yakima


Re: Black Monday Impact?
Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:53 pm
  • pehawk wrote:Do people realize Cable went to Snohomish High School? He's taking this over when Pete's gone.


    I've quietly been wondering this, given Tom's asst. head coach title, hometown, and the fact that Pete's approach has always been to promote from within.
    Image
    User avatar
    HawkAroundTheClock
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1424
    Joined: Sun Apr 04, 2010 7:30 pm
    Location: Olympia


Re: Black Monday Impact?
Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:00 pm
  • SharkHawk wrote:Read the moronic comments at the end of that Wilson article. Guys are saying that teams didn't miss, it wasn't their fault, that Wilson was "rated a 4th, 5th, or 6th round player". Who the hell do they think is rating those players at those draft positions? It's the teams you idiots. They felt Wilson was a 4th, 5th, 6th round or worse talent. That is why they got fired. They can't see talent. John Schneider actually saw Russ as a 1st round talent but knew he could get him in the 2nd... Pete talked him back to the 3rd. Brilliant move. Got Wagner and Wilson for the price of just Wilson if Schneider had taken him at 2. May have gotten the best offensive and defensive rookie out of that one decision. THAT is why it is black monday for so many front offices and coaches. I think the average NFL fan is getting dumber and dumber with each passing day. They are using draft grades created by those same guys as justification for keeping their jobs by waiting on him in the 5th or 6th where they thought they could pick him, because they said he was only worth a fifth or sixth. That makes zero sense to anybody with a brain.

    Great points!
    42-13, 29-3, and 23-17 and a Lombardi trophy from THIS millennium.....deal with it niner trolls

    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!
    User avatar
    Sports Hernia
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 10824
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:36 pm
    Location: Lombardi Land


Re: Black Monday Impact?
Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:25 am
  • The only name that I think teams will want to poach has been brought up only once in this thread and mostly because he fits the Rooney rule. Kris Richard has done an absolutely fantastic job with the DB's who are the strength of our defense. Everyone brings up Pete Carroll as being a former DB and him having the huge impact on our DB's, but how many starting defensive backs did Pete Carroll put in the NFL during his tenure at USC? The answer is not as many as you would expect. Currently Polamalu is the only starter from Pete's tenure. Sure, several of his DB's were drafted, but almost none of them started and practically all of them were out of the league in a couple of seasons.

    Currently, we have only one player in our defensive back field who people even recognized the potential of when we drafted him in Earl Thomas. Everyone knows that Richard Sherman deserves to be in the Pro Bowl and will probably be an All Pro this season as a fifth round draft pick. Chancellor was also a fifth round draft pick and he has been in the Pro Bowl. Browner was an undrafted free agent and he has made the Pro Bowl. What Richard has done is pretty much unprecedented and I can tell you that teams have taken serious notice. There are going to be teams that are going to talk to him about a higher position this offseason even if it's just assistant defensive coordinator and defensive backs coach. I don't think he would take a position elsewhere just yet, but I guarantee you that if this progress continues with the next man up playing well (Lane was a sixth rounder and has played very well in relief of Browner and Maxwell another sixth rounder has played well in his spots), he will get serious offers in a year or two.
    Image
    User avatar
    BASF
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1487
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:07 pm


Re: Black Monday Impact?
Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:49 am
  • BASF wrote:The only name that I think teams will want to poach has been brought up only once in this thread and mostly because he fits the Rooney rule. Kris Richard has done an absolutely fantastic job with the DB's who are the strength of our defense. Everyone brings up Pete Carroll as being a former DB and him having the huge impact on our DB's, but how many starting defensive backs did Pete Carroll put in the NFL during his tenure at USC? The answer is not as many as you would expect. Currently Polamalu is the only starter from Pete's tenure. Sure, several of his DB's were drafted, but almost none of them started and practically all of them were out of the league in a couple of seasons.


    Isn't that praising Carroll's coaching of DBs then? I mean, if they looked good at college under Carroll but once you take Carroll out of the equation they suck, doesn't that mean he's good at coaching them?
    themunn
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2342
    Joined: Fri May 18, 2012 4:38 pm


Re: Black Monday Impact?
Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:31 am
  • Jazzhawk wrote:
    Atradees wrote:i would like to see Gus Bradley get some serious offer and take it.

    The hire Wisenhut as our DC. That would be beautiful.

    Except that Whisenhunt is an OC.


    Shows what I know. I had thought the Cards were good defensively.......blah blah. No wonder he got fired.

    A bad qb makes everyone look bad.
    Image
    Cassius Marsh is my 2014 Adopt a Pro Bowl Rookie
    User avatar
    Atradees
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2532
    Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:22 pm
    Location: South of Heaven


Re: Black Monday Impact?
Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:52 am
  • Atradees wrote:I had thought the Cards were good defensively.......blah blah.



    You thought correct. Which is why the entire defensive staff was retained.
    User avatar
    CALIHAWK1
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
     
    Posts: 9166
    Joined: Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:00 pm
    Location: Is Everything


Re: Black Monday Impact?
Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:15 am
  • themunn wrote:
    BASF wrote:The only name that I think teams will want to poach has been brought up only once in this thread and mostly because he fits the Rooney rule. Kris Richard has done an absolutely fantastic job with the DB's who are the strength of our defense. Everyone brings up Pete Carroll as being a former DB and him having the huge impact on our DB's, but how many starting defensive backs did Pete Carroll put in the NFL during his tenure at USC? The answer is not as many as you would expect. Currently Polamalu is the only starter from Pete's tenure. Sure, several of his DB's were drafted, but almost none of them started and practically all of them were out of the league in a couple of seasons.


    Isn't that praising Carroll's coaching of DBs then? I mean, if they looked good at college under Carroll but once you take Carroll out of the equation they suck, doesn't that mean he's good at coaching them?


    An interesting perspective. Going through the drafts, Kris Richard, Will Poole, Troy Polamalu, Darnell Bing, Terrell Thomas, Cary Harris, Kevin Ellison, Taylor Mays, and Kevin Thomas were the only ones that he had drafted into the NFL after nine seasons. That doesn't seem like the NFL thought much of his talent crop considering only Richard, Polamalu, Thomas and Mays were drafted in the first three rounds. Of those four only two of them were actually starters, speaking to your perspective. Looking at the passing defense for the Trojans over the years is remarkable with the completion percentage and touchdowns being very low. Perhaps Richard isn't as good as I thought, but I do believe he will be looked at as a serious candidate from outside our organization.
    Image
    User avatar
    BASF
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1487
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:07 pm


Re: Black Monday Impact?
Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:19 am
  • As a Skins fan, I'm worried about Kyle Shanahan being poached. Reports are that we are considering giving an extension to Mike Shanahan. I had hoped that Shanahan would go solely into the front office at the end of his 5 year contract and allow his son to take the reigns. I am not confident in Mike Shanahan's ability to play call AND head coach. I think the two roles are best separate - especially in this day and age where the tiniest advantages must be squeezed out in this salary cap era of parity.

    I think Mike Shanahan would have the ego to annoint himself as OC and play-caller if his son were to depart. I doubt he'd bring in someone else. Snyder would likely be willing to match whatever Kyle gets offered, but if his dad is getting a head coach extension getting him to put his head coach aspirations on the shelf for even longer may be difficult.
    RiggoReincarnated
    NET Starter
     
    Posts: 370
    Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:16 am
    Location: Buckeystown, MD


Re: Black Monday Impact?
Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:03 pm
  • Well one thing I am glad of, the wholesale NFL meltdown happened this year, next year I believe our contracts with Pete and Schnieder are up. Where I think we get them locked up during that time is also when assistants and others are not as secure till they get re signed as well.
    Image

    To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Used to be an Alumni till they pulled a USC on me...
    .Net official Clueless, Dumbass, Douche, Simpleton, CensoredTard , Idiot, member of the 38 club.
    User avatar
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker
     
    Posts: 9777
    Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:52 pm
    Location: Renton Wa.


Re: Black Monday Impact?
Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:32 pm
  • RolandDeschain wrote: We play soft zone in some of the most mind-boggling situations.


    No kidding, it was killing me against St. Louis. Not that I'm smarter then these coaches of course, but damn, I wish I could understand what they are thinking sometimes.
    User avatar
    Shock2k
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1115
    Joined: Wed Dec 26, 2012 3:38 pm




It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:07 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]




Information