Will Shanahan come out with a wrinkle or two?

travlinhawk

Reaction score
I'm not as knowledgeable as some of you on this site about game planning but I don't expect Shanny to run the identical offense/defense that he has been during our game next week. I remember beating the Giants back in 05 when they interviewed Shocky (i think) and he stated that they hadn't seen or game-planned for what we did to them on that day. What do some of you Gurus think about what Shanny may do to attack us a little differently?

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
Probably but they are going to do what got them here.

Heavy dose of the run. They are damn good at it so I hope we can stop it. I am not so sure that we can if they commit to doing it all game.

Happypuppy

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":gqsgopl9 said:

Heavy dose of the run. They are damn good at it so I hope we can stop it. I am not so sure that we can if they commit to doing it all game.

Agreed. When he was the Oakland and the Denver HC he was pretty basic. Let you screw up and stop his team. He liked running the ball down your throat and throwing slants , and other than letting the QB run, not much changed

falcongoggles

Reaction score
Yes - do you remember the game last year? They got into a fight with our guys right off the bat. That lured us into overpursuing and getting burned in the run game. Shanahan got the best of us that day for sure. I'm hoping Pete has learned and has coached his team not to overpursue because Washington will make us pay.

Blitzer88

Reaction score
Of course they will, but will stay with what got them there for the majority of the game. I really hope Pete comes out with his best gameplan pf the year as we are gonna need it to stop their deadly read-option offense.

Seattle_Stunna_MD

Reaction score
The option offense the Skins run is tough to stop. I just hope we dont over commit (D. Ware) and hold our lanes. Giving up a few yards here and there are fine, they will get that. But to be GOUGED to the point where we cant stop the bleeding, well that can't happen.

Skins O' is good and Morris is a beast. If our D comes out up to the task, I think it'll be a good game.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
If I'm Shanahan, I do not NOT like how the Seahawks defense matches up against my Redskins offense. Our defense should be able to bring them all kinds of problems. Also, aren't like a THIRD of RG3's passes this year, screens? Lol. We're no longer automatically susceptible to the screen like we were for so long.

I love this match-up, though I would have loved @ Dallas more. Quiet indoor stadium, compared to a moderately loud outdoor cold one.

AF_Hawk

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":7pywmst7 said:

I'm hoping that will work in our favor. Speedy guys are the ones that seem to kill us more so then the bigger pounding backs. Hopefully our run defense really has improved or else this one will be a long one for our defense.

seedhawk

Reaction score
Our success started halfway thru the year when we finally let RW loose a bit.

Redskins success started halfway thru the year when Shanny dialed things back, simplified his offense and concentrated on execution.

Okungfu

Reaction score
29th ranked defense in the Redskins, I think we can move the ball against them and control the clock, best way to stop a high powered offense is not letting them take the field . Shanahan will have some tricks up his sleeve, but I like the make up of this team in big games. ROY could be claimed in this one , gonna be fun !

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Seattle has much better run defenders in its secondary than Dallas did. As long as our linebackers maintain gap control and play smart against the screen and zone-read (like they did against SF and CAR), we might at least limit the damage.

SharkHawk

Reaction score
Shanahan is wrinkleproof. He's made of leather. Look at the guy. He looks like my SSK baseball mitt I've been using since 1985.

HawkWow

Reaction score
Shanahan should start planning new wrinkles for next year.

The first, a new nickname for RG3. "Slash" Griffin makes alot of sense to me. I feel like the Skins have built a house of cards and think they would be money ahead in letting Cousins get first team reps sooner than later. Play Slash where and when needed. It won't happen, they have invested too much in him and need to save face. But ultimately, unless they bring someone else in, Cousins is their long term solution @ QB, IMO.

VivaEfrenHerrera

Reaction score
SharkHawk":3scuwfkl said:
Shanahan is wrinkleproof. He's made of leather. Look at the guy. He looks like my SSK baseball mitt I've been using since 1985.

Yeah, I was going to make a joke about that weirdly over-tanned melanoma farm Shanny calls a face too. But you beat me to it fair and square. This thread has made me remember how much I loathe the confirmed cheater that now calls plays in DC.

seahawks08

Reaction score
As always, Seahawks will play by keeping all the plays in front and not be burnt for big plays, what this means is they will go up and down and field pretty well and try to stop them in the red zone. That will take some smart clock management. Nuetralizing Garcon and Running back will be important. Since RG3 is playing injured, even though the threat is there, the Redskins offense will not have him run too much for this game, hoping to not injure him too much. I would think we won't pass rush until we are ahead with the fear of giving up big plays. So it depends on how quickly we are on the board and how far ahead we will be, if we need to generate pass rush. It will be more of a wait and bait game. In the offense side of things, I think RW will keep the ball more and keep it on the ground. The deep balls will be far too less as this team will play conservative and only take what the defense gives up. Playoff games are lot more close and hardly fought as it is one strike out kind of scenario. So expect and long and hard fought game. My worry is even if we win the first one, the amount of beating would make it hard to go play on the road again and get a win. Reminds me of Panthers where they got hot on the road, but was finally beaten by seahawks in the championship game.