Did the Seahawks play conservatively on offense on purpose?

AF_Hawk

Reaction score
I was at the game yesterday, and I couldn't help but feel like they didn't do too much on offense for a bigger purpose. Yeah the stupid penalties were probably the cause of the mainly conservative play calling, but do you think it may have something to do with the upcoming playoff game (as in to not give away too much)?

SmokinHawk

Reaction score
I think the ferocity of the Rams' defensive line necessitated a more conservative, ball control approach. Minimizing turnovers is priority #1 with our offense, sometimes to the chagrin of those watching the games.

OP
OP
A

AF_Hawk

Reaction score
Yeah I agree with both points. I'll take my tinfoil hat off now.

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
I think they did play very vanilla. We didn't see a lot of extra wrinkles, other than an onsides kick, which probably won't happen in the playoffs unless we need it. Certainly not as a trick play. Explosive isn't the same as not playing conservatively. Big, explosive gains can (and did) happen, regardless of how basic the formations are or how many little wrinkles are added to the play. We also weren't playing from behind, needing a win to secure anything for the playoffs, so there was no need to take huge gambles.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
I'm still annoyed with Bevell for taking 2.5 quarters to recognize that we had to change what we were doing on offense. It shouldn't take an entire half of a game to see that a monstrous D-line is eating your O-line alive on almost every down. Credit him for changing it for most of the second half, but we can't wait that long to adjust in a game like the NFCCG or the Super Bowl and expect to win.

ctown12

Reaction score
It did look like they had dialed down both their O and D gameplans, maybe on purpose. The played a base zone coverage on D most of the night with no real exotic pass rushing and play calling. Same goes for the O. They would run, run, and run some more with a few passing plays mixed in, but nothing too crazy. I think that they were trying to put as little on tape for whomever we were going to play the next week. I really look forward to what they are going to pull out in Southern MD.