Random Thoughts™ on the Rams game

The Essential Online Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. RATING: PG-13
Random Thoughts™ on the Rams game
Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:50 pm
  • Kinda not feeling it after this one, so I'm just going to hit on the major points tonight.

    1.

    I've defended the OL all season. Statistically, they've been neck and neck with the 2005 unit- in fact the run blocking has actually rated higher this year than 2005 did. But today was brutal. Lynch had another productive day as did Wilson running the football, but far too often did the Rams stuff runs or produce negative plays in the running game. A few brilliant plays helped mask what was a bit of a struggle in the running game today, at least when compared to what we are used to.

    And pass protection revealed some very real problems. Okung gave up a sack. Giacomini gave up a sack. Sweezy gave up at least two sacks. In total Seattle gave up six sacks, which is probably the worst display of the entire season. Wilson had only been sacked 27 times over 15 previous games. But what really worried me was how the Rams did it with a base rush. That Wilson finished with a 136.3 passer rating today and very good rushing numbers is stunning. There is no question that the Rams dominated in the trenches today.

    JR Sweezy has the tools and ability to be a good RT, so being a good pass protecting G really shouldn't be this hard. I think his problem is mostly experience related. On one of his sacks he picked up the wrong player, and on another he didn't fight hard enough with his hands. I am not giving up on him, not at all. But I think that if Moffitt is cleared to play, Carroll has to start him in the playoffs. Moffitt may not have Sweezy's upside, but he's a better guard right now.

    2.

    I have respect for the Rams, who had won 4 of 5 before this game. I have respect for Jeff Fisher, who outcoached Carroll in the first matchup.

    But that said, I don't think the Rams could have gotten much luckier than they did today. They had an early Seahawks touchdown wiped out by an unnecessary screen block by McCoy. They had a brilliant surprise onside kicked by the Seahawks wiped out by Chancellor grabbing it a foot too early. Take note that Jeff Fisher was badly fooled on that onside kick, btw. They had a fumble-sack for a TD that was called back (I thought it was the right call but wow was it close). They had a (at the time) game winning type play on 3rd and long to Baldwin for 49 yards that was wiped out by a (legit) hold. Not that I'm griping about the call, but it was lucky. I lost count of how many uncalled holds I saw today, but that was not among the missed calls.

    The Seahawks kept shooting themselves in the foot like we had not seen since the last time these teams played each other- a game Seattle lost despite never allowing an offensive TD. Seattle dominated the 1st half, but entered halftime trailing 7-3.

    Seattle ended up winning 20-13 once the breaks started going away, but you couldn't help but feel like if Seattle plays an ordinary game they would have won today 41 to 13 instead. I wonder if they even have a foot left after shooting it so many times.

    Sadly, that pandemic of screw ups ultimately cost Wilson sole possession of the rookie TD record, although I suppose there are worse things than sharing a record with a guy named Peyton Manning.

    3.

    Overall, this was a frustrating game that was on pace to be the most upsetting loss of the season (for me, at least) before Wilson finally took a load off my shoulders by securing the record tying TD. Andrew Luck beat the fading Texans today to reach 11-5. If Wilson had fallen short of the record today, I think Luck (quite unfairly) would have probably hit the driver's seat for the rookie of the year award.

    I'm not used to rooting for individual awards. Only a few times before has Seattle had a player in this kind of situation- Alexander in 2005 and Tez in 1992. I know it's illogical, but I've come to realize that seeing Wilson win the award means a great deal to me. In the end, sports are all about recognition. A win is recognition for being the better team that week. A playoff berth is recognition for a good season. A Superbowl win is the ultimate recognition- a statement that says your team was the best in the land.

    Individual awards are recognition too- and Russell Wilson just completed arguably the best rookie season in NFL history, with only Big Ben and RG3 making compelling counter-arguments. I'd hate to pick between RG3 and Wilson this year, really it's a shame they can't split the award. But last I checked, RG3 is not a Seahawk. He was not a 3rd round pick. He was not a guy labelled too short to play in the NFL. He was not a backup in August. So with all due respect to RG3, I would really like to see Wilson get that stupid award. Obviously, winning a championship is priority one, but seeing Wilson take home hardware is a surprisingly close second, at least for me.

    So in that sense today was bittersweet. Wilson just had one of the best games of his career and somehow only walked out with one passing TD, when two would have given him sole possession of the record. That sucked- but we won, and he at least got a share, even if he deserved an even better result than what he got.

    4.

    Seattle finished with the #1 scoring defense with a comfy margin to spare. Last offseason we pined for an elite defense. Nobody would question that we have one now.

    With that said, am I the only one who feels that our pass rush is actually worse than last year's? I know the stats don't play that out, and Irvin has basically done what we could have realistically hoped for in the Raheem Brock role, but Seattle did not sack Bradford even once today. This is not the first time Seattle has struggled to pressure a team that came in with below average pass protection. In fact, it seems like poor pass protection numbers from an opponent have been a kiss of death to our pass rush this year. Arizona twice, the Rams twice, the Bears and so on.

    I can't say it enough- the Red Bryant experiment cannot succeed without sending extra rushers. Maybe if we traded for JJ Watt and Justin Smith, it could. But in the real world where the best we could do last year was Bruce Irvin, Seattle is essentially committing to a 3 man rush on every non-blitz play. Red Bryant brings value in other areas, but in the pass rush department he's a non-factor even by 3-4 end standards. And that's okay- if Seattle had a 3-4 mentality and sent a 5th rusher fairly often. When Seattle does blitz, or even show blitz, the difference in pressure is night and day. I've given Pete the benefit of the doubt the last several weeks, but the playoffs are here and it's time to stop being cute.

    5.

    Kudos to the officiating today- you will rarely see a tougher game to call. There were probably five or six moments in this game that merited instant replay or otherwise were decided by less than an inch or a hundredth of a second. Although some of the decisions against us sucked, I felt every one of them was correct- save for the DPI on Maxwell- but that play wasn't as big a deal since it was only worth a few more yards than Irvin's legit late hit on the same play. They had a blown call against Janoris Jenkins for "holding" that balanced it out. I felt the officiating was remarkably good and balanced for how tough the situation was. I'm guessing fans weren't exactly rushing to give the refs hugs after this one, but they had a very tough job today and I've rarely seen a crew handle a game with so many tough decisions better.

    6.

    This might have been Golden Tate's best game yet. He had a terrific scoop catch and made multiple defenders miss after the catch. He broke 100 yards today on just 3 catches.

    Final thought:

    Unsurprisingly the Redskins emerged victorious from the Sunday Night Cripple Fight. Griffin is a shadow of his former self when hurt and he got up very slow after a crunching hit late in this game. Since it's the playoffs I will respectfully decline the chance to be cocky. Any given Sunday is doubly true in the playoffs. But you have to feel good about this one. Alfred Morris is all that team really has going for them right now, and his mini-beast mode style is a convenient match for our D-line that prefers physical backs over ultra quick ones.

    I guess it's only fitting that the two best rookie QBs in NFL history (by passer rating) would meet in the first playoff game this year. It's a fitting way to kick off a great playoffs following one of the most storyline filled regular seasons ever.
    User avatar
    kearly
    * Mr Random Thought *
     
    Posts: 11564
    Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:44 am


Re: Random Thoughts™ on the Rams game
Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:57 pm
  • Love the 8-0 home record, love Wilson's performance despite a horrific effort by the OL, Tater Tot was fantastic...Some good stuff but overall the game just felt painful to watch and sit through with all the time outs and flags.

    I give much respect to that Rams team Fisher is building. Their defense gave us fits all day long and made us look quite ordinary, and that's saying something after the roll we've been on in December.

    And Good God can we PLEASE generate a pass rush?!?!!?
    Image

    "We're picking up speed. The train is coming." - Earl Thomas 11/15/14
    User avatar
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]
     
    Posts: 8438
    Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:58 am
    Location: Just 6 miles from Richard Sherman!


Re: Random Thoughts™ on the Rams game
Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:00 pm
  • I'm starting to think the lack of pressure is kind of by design. It's about gap control, keeping everything in front of the defenders and not giving up what the opposition of the Redskins and Seahawks do. Not saying you shouldn't have both, but, all I see is very VANILLA rush from the base group. Little stunts, if any.

    All I see is; just rush to your gap...if you pressure great...if not our LB/DB's will make a play. I think as Irvin progresses that will change, but right now, Pete seems content just filling gaps up front. Which will work quite well Sunday (the opposite of what Dallas did).
    @ryanadamdavis
    User avatar
    pehawk
    * Report Button *
     
    Posts: 12221
    Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:08 pm


Re: Random Thoughts™ on the Rams game
Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:02 pm
  • The way I feel after this game is a lot like the way after I felt after losing to Arizona in week 1. Yes, Arizona brought the pass rush, but otherwise they were not a good team, and the only reason Seattle did not destroy them was because they couldn't get out of their own way. Seattle obliterated Arizona on the second go around. The Rams are due for an ass kicking. We didn't get it today, but it is inevitable.
    User avatar
    kearly
    * Mr Random Thought *
     
    Posts: 11564
    Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:44 am


Re: Random Thoughts™ on the Rams game
Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:04 pm
  • I think today, especially the first half was just a classic emotional let down situation coming after our huge win last week.

    That, and the fact that we had a soccer coach raise the 12th man flag made it a hard game to get into.
    Image
    User avatar
    JSeahawks
    * NET Moderator *
     
    Posts: 18808
    Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:35 pm
    Location: Milwaukie, Oregon


Re: Random Thoughts™ on the Rams game
Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:04 pm
  • Bradford had waaaaaay too much time in that pocket. Yes, we kept them to only 13 points which should not be understated but I can't stand it when I see Wilson get sacked 6 times and we get nothing on Bradford AT HOME.

    Inexcusable.
    Image

    "We're picking up speed. The train is coming." - Earl Thomas 11/15/14
    User avatar
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]
     
    Posts: 8438
    Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:58 am
    Location: Just 6 miles from Richard Sherman!


Re: Random Thoughts™ on the Rams game
Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:06 pm
  • JSeahawks wrote:I think today, especially the first half was just a classic emotional let down game coming after our huge win last week.

    That, and the fact that we had a soccer coach raise the 12th man flag made it a hard game to get into.


    SO true. When I saw Zig raise the flag, both my wife and I looked at each other shrugging our shoulders. "Huh??"

    I also buy that theory that today was a classic emotional let down game. Luckily we have Wilson or historically this game is a "L".
    Image

    "We're picking up speed. The train is coming." - Earl Thomas 11/15/14
    User avatar
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]
     
    Posts: 8438
    Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:58 am
    Location: Just 6 miles from Richard Sherman!


Re: Random Thoughts™ on the Rams game
Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:07 pm
  • Aros wrote:Bradford had waaaaaay too much time in that pocket. Yes, we kept them to only 13 points which should not be understated but I can't stand it when I see Wilson get sacked 6 times and we get nothing on Bradford AT HOME.

    Inexcusable.


    Rams also have 2 top 5 picks invested in their DL. Hawks have 1 first rounder.

    And, what you said can be said every week about the Hawks; NOT ENOUGH PRESSURE but they held them to blank. Makes me think it's a little by design. Maybe.
    @ryanadamdavis
    User avatar
    pehawk
    * Report Button *
     
    Posts: 12221
    Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:08 pm


Re: Random Thoughts™ on the Rams game
Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:09 pm
  • Something is going on with Moffitt and the coaches, so I don't know if 'being cleared to play' really matters. Maybe his practices and study techniques this week will be the difference. Clearly the coaches have chosen to go with Sweezy and damn the results. And frankly, it's what they have done since Training camp, so who am I to question it, because it has worked just fine so far. I haven't been able to review the game yet, so I can't comment specifically on Sweezy, but I know he wasn't the only one getting beat today.

    I had wanted to play the Cowboys mostly because it was a shorter trip and I think we'd do better in their facility, but hey, bring on the Redskins...what do we really have to fear of them?? Our defense is elite and Wilson is too.

    I agree with the officiating as regards the difficulties they had to bear. I disagree with your conclusion that they did well. The calls they made to overturn were not clear, and the replays were not close enough to overturn IMHO. But hey, thems the breaks and we won.

    Is Red Bryant really an 'experiment' after 3 years? I think it's pretty well established at this point, but ya, somethings gotta be done to bring pressure. I joked on another thread that maybe they have been holding on some wrinkles for the playoffs, but who knows, maybe it's true.

    Anyway, thanks for the thoughts...always a pleasure.
    Image
    User avatar
    Jazzhawk
    * NET News Scoop *
    * NET News Scoop *
     
    Posts: 9027
    Joined: Sat Apr 18, 2009 6:16 pm


Re: Random Thoughts™ on the Rams game
Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:09 pm
  • Good stuff yet again kearly. I really enjoy reading these after each game. You did a great job this season. Thanks!

    While I agree with you and nice post Pe, I think the Seahawks do need to mix some more blitzes in for the Redskins game. With RGTres being a little gimpy playing through his injury, I'd like to see Kam sent on some blitzes. Thomas, Sherm, Browner, and co. should be able to provide cover and contain the Skins receivers. I'm a little worried about slowing down Santana Moss but ultimately I think we'll get it done.

    Agreed about the O-Line today kearly. Pretty brutal if we're to be honest and the Skins love to blitz. That might play to Russell's strengths however, unless we're letting him get swarmed again back there.

    I can't wait!
    Talkin Seahawks All Day, All Night @ my blog Seafense! http://seafense.blogspot.com/
    User avatar
    NYCoug
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1444
    Joined: Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:45 pm


Re: Random Thoughts™ on the Rams game
Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:09 pm
  • JSeahawks wrote:I think today, especially the first half was just a classic emotional let down situation coming after our huge win last week.

    That, and the fact that we had a soccer coach raise the 12th man flag made it a hard game to get into.


    Our team appeared to be "unfocused" for much of the first 40 minutes....penality after penality....how frustrating!
    Bigpumpkin
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
     
    Posts: 4970
    Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 8:13 pm
    Location: Puyallup, WA USA


Re: Random Thoughts™ on the Rams game
Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:13 pm
  • Also, found it kind of interesting how this season came full circle in a sense. Started off the year with a chippy, sloppy game against a tough divisional opponent who got after Russell.

    At the beginning of the season, we lost this game. Now, with a mature beyond his years quarterback who has improved week by week, we got the W.
    Talkin Seahawks All Day, All Night @ my blog Seafense! http://seafense.blogspot.com/
    User avatar
    NYCoug
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1444
    Joined: Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:45 pm


Re: Random Thoughts™ on the Rams game
Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:14 pm
  • NYCoug wrote:Also, found it kind of interesting how this season came full circle in a sense. Started off the year with a chippy, sloppy game against a tough divisional opponent who got after Russell.

    At the beginning of the season, we lost this game. Now, with a mature beyond his years quarterback who has improved week by week, we got the W.


    +1
    @ryanadamdavis
    User avatar
    pehawk
    * Report Button *
     
    Posts: 12221
    Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:08 pm


Re: Random Thoughts™ on the Rams game
Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:16 pm
  • The Wilson award pining isn't illogical for you Kearly. At the very beginning, before Wilson even started, you called that he would be great, and actually called a Superbowl for us if he started (you hit that call on Wilson out of the park). Wilson winning RoY is validation (as if you needed more) for that call, it's also pulling for the underdog after the media love fest to Luck and RG3 (I share the rooting for the underdog thing). And, it's some recognition for our Hawks. After the Sherman Pro Bowl snub, I kinda feel they owe us this one, and maybe Wagner too.

    Personally, I felt this would be a close game, but my brain was telling me this was a different Hawks team, on a tremendous roll, and it wouldn't surprise me to ring up 40 on the Rams. But my gut told me this would be close, and the Rams defense is VERY underrated. We aren't the only ones getting snubbed in the media. We needed this one. We needed a dogfight right before the playoffs. We needed that last monkey off our back, and the last bit of confidence that we can win close games. If this next game is close, it's not as much culture shock, especially in the playoffs.

    The fact that we shoot ourselves in the foot against the Rams just shows me that oru OL isn't a good matchup against their very physical DL. I'd be happy with a high round interior OL pick in the draft; a WR or OLB also wouldn't upset me. Heck, I'd even be happy with an elite DE prospect.
    Hawks46
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4070
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:01 pm


Re: Random Thoughts™ on the Rams game
Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:20 pm
  • kearly wrote:Final thought:

    Unsurprisingly the Redskins emerged victorious from the Sunday Night Cripple Fight. Griffin is a shadow of his former self when hurt and he got up very slow after a crunching hit late in this game. Since it's the playoffs I will respectfully decline the chance to be cocky. Any given Sunday is doubly true in the playoffs. But you have to feel good about this one. Alfred Morris is all that team really has going for them right now, and his mini-beast mode style is a convenient match for our D-line that prefers physical backs over ultra quick ones.

    I guess it's only fitting that the two best rookie QBs in NFL history (by passer rating) would meet in the first playoff game this year. It's a fitting way to kick off a great playoffs following one of the most storyline filled regular seasons ever.

    Pierre Garcon is the big playmaker on that team. He's who we have to shut down if we're going to win this one.
    Richard Sherman doesn't just wanna get in your head, he wants to build a vacation home there.

    R. Sherman: "I don't want to be an island. I want to be a tourist attraction. You come, I take your money & you go."
    User avatar
    SalishHawkFan
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4950
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:39 pm


Re: Random Thoughts™ on the Rams game
Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:23 pm
  • what were your thoughts on jeremy lane and trufant.
    User avatar
    Axx
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2539
    Joined: Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:37 pm


Re: Random Thoughts™ on the Rams game
Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:26 pm
  • Good thoughts. This game, the whole game through, felt like a slug fest where the best team simply found a way to win. It was sloppy, ugly, and a down game, but the Seahawks were simply the better team, and the results showed on the field.
    World Champion Seattle Seahawks football. It's an addiction, and there is no cure.
    Les Norton - gone but never forgotten. Rest in blue and green peace, my friend.
    User avatar
    Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *
     
    Posts: 19035
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:23 am
    Location: The beautiful PNW


Re: Random Thoughts™ on the Rams game
Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:27 pm
  • I get your apathy towards the game. It was win, and I'm glad to be done with it. Not much to take away from the game as the team has had better days and, hopefully, will have them soon.
    Super Bowl Champions XVLIII

    RIP Radish: Check your PMs. Upper right corner.
    User avatar
    Sarlacc83
    * NET Philistine *
     
    Posts: 15796
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 8:02 am
    Location: Portland, OR


Re: Random Thoughts™ on the Rams game
Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:30 pm
  • Maybe my memory is off, but I could have sworn Pete blitzed more at USC. I'm wondering if the lack of much blitzing is a Bradley thing more than a Pete thing.
    Help bring peace to the South LA / Puget Sound communities. Are you in?
    http://www.abetterla.org | http://www.abetterseattle.com
    User avatar
    sc85sis
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*
     
    Posts: 5098
    Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:40 am
    Location: Southern CA


Re: Random Thoughts™ on the Rams game
Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:30 pm
  • what a season, went to the game today, had a lot of fun, we finished 11-5, my homer prediction at the start of the year was 9-7, and I thought I was being generous. If you're a Seahawks fan you have to be excited for the now and the future.
    User avatar
    the ditch
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*
     
    Posts: 1621
    Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:05 am
    Location: Calgary, Alberta, Canada


Re: Random Thoughts™ on the Rams game
Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:40 pm
  • Thanks, Kearly!

    I think the Rams caught all the breaks today (except when we fumbled forward for a first down). I also think this was a subpar outing for us. I think we really could of hung another couple of TD's on the board today.

    I look forward to playing the Redskins. It's my best friend's favorite team. It'll be interesting to see our team's adjustments playing in the playoffs.

    I hope we don't stop until we win the Super Bowl.

    BTW - this feels like personal validation for me. I felt coming into the year the only question was QB. When I saw Wilson in preseason I told some friends that we could be a Super Bowl contender (they all kind of sat up and took notice because I am not a trash talker due to many years of following mostly average franchises). Early in the season that was looking a little grim. This season has been my favorite of all time.
    User avatar
    Starrman44
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 814
    Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:35 pm
    Location: Canby, OR


Re: Random Thoughts™ on the Rams game
Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:43 pm
  • kearly wrote:The way I feel after this game is a lot like the way after I felt after losing to Arizona in week 1. Yes, Arizona brought the pass rush, but otherwise they were not a good team, and the only reason Seattle did not destroy them was because they couldn't get out of their own way. Seattle obliterated Arizona on the second go around. The Rams are due for an ass kicking. We didn't get it today, but it is inevitable.

    This AND, Russell Willson will be digesting Fishers Defensive mindset.
    With his first year under Center as a rookie out of the way, Next Season we SHOULD see Wilson emerging as one of the best prepared Quarterbacks (next to Moon) the Seahawks have EVER had.
    scutterhawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3900
    Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:48 pm


Re: Random Thoughts™ on the Rams game
Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:56 pm
  • pehawk wrote:
    Aros wrote:Bradford had waaaaaay too much time in that pocket. Yes, we kept them to only 13 points which should not be understated but I can't stand it when I see Wilson get sacked 6 times and we get nothing on Bradford AT HOME.

    Inexcusable.


    Rams also have 2 top 5 picks invested in their DL. Hawks have 1 first rounder.

    And, what you said can be said every week about the Hawks; NOT ENOUGH PRESSURE but they held them to blank. Makes me think it's a little by design. Maybe.



    I think PE might be onto something. We have what many consider to be a poor pass rush yet we have arguably the best overall defense in the league. I remember Carroll's rule number 1 of the defense is.....

    Not give up the big play.

    It could be by design, look how the defense was built. From the back to front or outside in. We have an all pro free safety in Thomas, the thumper/enforcer linebacker sized strong safety in Kam, and the two best corners in the league Browner and Mr Sherman. We want to keep the ball in front of us.
    User avatar
    morgulon1
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3657
    Joined: Sat May 02, 2009 10:07 am
    Location: Spokane, Wa


Re: Random Thoughts™ on the Rams game
Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:04 pm
  • Reminds me a little of Pete's affair with the Bandit. It was due to necessity and not liking his LB's more than anything else.

    IMO, he wants pressure, but knows there's no horse good enough to let loose right now. So, might as well just insure you cant get beat; i.e. give up the big play.
    @ryanadamdavis
    User avatar
    pehawk
    * Report Button *
     
    Posts: 12221
    Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:08 pm


Re: Random Thoughts™ on the Rams game
Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:06 pm
  • kearly wrote:Kudos to the officiating today- you will rarely see a tougher game to call. [...] I'm guessing fans weren't exactly rushing to give the refs hugs after this one, but they had a very tough job today and I've rarely seen a crew handle a game with so many tough decisions better.


    I disagree. I will grant you that the crew got most of the calls right.

    But I think they were really flag-happy, and I think that ruins the fan experience -- on both sides.

    I think good officials, just like good players and good coaches, go with the flow. I don't think anyone would argue that junior high school officials should call every single rules infraction they see; if they did, there would really be no game at all. By the same token, some NFL games just end up being a bit rough around the edges, and guys like Mike Carey see it as their duty to call all possible infractions. They're the lawyers of the game. (Is it a coincidence that so many of these guys are in fact lawyers?)

    But look, I've coached youth sports, and what most of the coaches want is just a good game. They want a chance for their players to play, and to learn. Of course they want to win -- but most of them want to win based on great plays. That's what the fans want as well. The role of the officals is to try to keep the playing field level (so to speak) -- but otherwise, to stay the hell out of the way.

    Despite the vastly superior skills of NFL players, I don't think the equation changes. Players want to make great plays, coaches want to win because of great plays, and fans want to watch great plays. Officious officiating really just gets in the way.

    </soapbox>
    HawkHack
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 284
    Joined: Sun May 02, 2010 9:28 pm


Re: Random Thoughts™ on the Rams game
Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:15 pm
  • Great stuff again Kearly. We need to do something about our pass rush for the playoffs, can't give these QBs all day to throw no matter how good our secondary is.
    Image
    User avatar
    Blitzer88
    * NET Eeyore *
     
    Posts: 11316
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:47 am
    Location: Pasco, WA


Re: Random Thoughts™ on the Rams game
Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:45 pm
  • SalishHawkFan wrote:Pierre Garcon is the big playmaker on that team. He's who we have to shut down if we're going to win this one.


    I drafted Pierre Garcon in my fantasy football draft this year. He was hurt for a big chunk of the season and was never all that great even when healthy. If he's the best they got, the Redskins better hope Morris has a 200 yard game in him. And I really doubt he would against us.
    User avatar
    kearly
    * Mr Random Thought *
     
    Posts: 11564
    Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:44 am


Re: Random Thoughts™ on the Rams game
Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:48 pm
  • HawkHack wrote:But I think they were really flag-happy, and I think that ruins the fan experience -- on both sides.


    I like it better when refs swallow their whistles too, but today I only disagreed with two of their calls, one for each team. They had a lot of tough calls and they got every one of them right, including one that Pereira got wrong when the broadcast asked his opinion.

    Axx wrote:what were your thoughts on jeremy lane and trufant.


    Trufant didn't get targeted that much and did well when he was. I think if Trufant is a 3rd or 4th corner it really helps minimize how much of a liability he is. I'd like to see him replaced next season, after we get him his ring in a few weeks.

    I like Lane's attitude and attempts at physicality. He's a good tackler too. I'm not yet sure that he's good in man coverage though. He also looks a lot smaller than his listed size. I would not want to go into next season with Lane as the #3. I'd love to see Seattle bring more competition at corner in the draft. There are a few options I have my eye on. It's a good draft for big corners in the mid rounds.
    Last edited by kearly on Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    User avatar
    kearly
    * Mr Random Thought *
     
    Posts: 11564
    Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:44 am


Re: Random Thoughts™ on the Rams game
Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:52 pm
  • Can't wait for the battle of the backs and the battle of the rookie QBs. It will be great
    To see Sherman and company taking on the probable IMO Rookie of the year
    User avatar
    Happypuppy
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1916
    Joined: Sat Sep 04, 2010 5:40 pm


Re: Random Thoughts™ on the Rams game
Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:32 am
  • Kearly you r a beast! Love the quote bout Tru getting his ring! keep doin yo thang!
    User avatar
    largenutz
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 884
    Joined: Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:56 pm
    Location: Denver, Colorado


Re: Random Thoughts™ on the Rams game
Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:34 am
  • damn jus seen yo avatar -do a russ doin gangham style- my kids will love it!
    User avatar
    largenutz
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 884
    Joined: Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:56 pm
    Location: Denver, Colorado


Re: Random Thoughts™ on the Rams game
Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:34 am
  • To me the Redskins receivers all seem like guys who would get manhandled by our corners. Small, finesse type guys who are not going to know what hit them when Sherm and Browner come to town. The only hope those guys have is Griffin's threat as a runner getting them open.
    User avatar
    pinksheets
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2836
    Joined: Thu Apr 21, 2011 3:47 pm
    Location: Seattle


Re: Random Thoughts™ on the Rams game
Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:21 am
  • Out CBs are good at taking on the big guys. They both have trouble with the smaller, shiftier guys (Sherman abit less so than Browner). Browner said as much in an interview; he was speaking for both himself and Sherman.

    Santana has been finding ways to get open all season, so we'll just have to see if our guys can slow him down some.
    "I cannot believe this............ I am stunned right now. This is now a rebuilding year for us. Our offense is crap now"

    Blitzer88 regarding trading Percy to the Jets
    User avatar
    HawKnPeppa
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2882
    Joined: Sat Oct 31, 2009 8:01 pm


Re: Random Thoughts™ on the Rams game
Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:40 am
  • Aros wrote:
    And Good God can we PLEASE generate a pass rush?!?!!?

    Our pass rush didn't disappear because it has really been scarce all season...and we finished as the #1 scoring defense in the NFL.

    We might be the only team I have ever seen who can go an entire game without sniffing a QB and hold a team under 15-20 points. It's who we are and it's how we play. It's incredibly impressive to see an offense sputter because a secondary is holding an entire pass defense on it's shoulders. There aren't many teams in NFL history who can afford to not even try manufacturing a pass rush and still shut down offenses.
    User avatar
    endzorn
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*
     
    Posts: 2113
    Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2007 6:14 pm


Re: Random Thoughts™ on the Rams game
Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:30 am
  • Axx wrote:what were your thoughts on jeremy lane and trufant.


    Trufant didn't get targeted that much and did well when he was. I think if Trufant is a 3rd or 4th corner it really helps minimize how much of a liability he is. I'd like to see him replaced next season, after we get him his ring in a few weeks.

    I like Lane's attitude and attempts at physicality. He's a good tackler too. I'm not yet sure that he's good in man coverage though. He also looks a lot smaller than his listed size. I would not want to go into next season with Lane as the #3. I'd love to see Seattle bring more competition at corner in the draft. There are a few options I have my eye on. It's a good draft for big corners in the mid rounds.


    Also, I think if Browner was in there, he intercepts that tipped ball that was caught for their TD based on his extra reach/wingspan.
    It's payback, Russell Wilson falling way back
    In the draft, turn nothing into something, still can make that
    Will I
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 290
    Joined: Fri Sep 11, 2009 2:08 pm
    Location: Grand Forks AFB, ND


Re: Random Thoughts™ on the Rams game
Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:43 am
  • kearly wrote:
    I'm not used to rooting for individual awards. Only a few times before has Seattle had a player in this kind of situation- Alexander in 2005 and Tez in 1992. I know it's illogical, but I've come to realize that seeing Wilson win the award means a great deal to me. In the end, sports are all about recognition. A win is recognition for being the better team that week. A playoff berth is recognition for a good season. A Superbowl win is the ultimate recognition- a statement that says your team was the best in the land.



    Prepare to be letdown. All the points you made about RW starting every game, having to win out the position and thus not getting preseason reps, being a third round pick and overcoming height with superior study habits and intelligence are all well known by people on this board and a handful of analysts. Unfortunately, the average viewer and NFL analyst who has to stay up with 32 teams doesn't get that much in-depth with our team. Unfortunately, RW has not done enough to BOTH beat out RG3 and overcome his preseason hype. Case in point, think of Terry Bradshaw's (who represents your average fan and pundit) response when presented with overwhelming RW counter points while RG3 was inactive. All he could do was stutter and not give up his staunch preconceived opinions.

    kearly wrote:Individual awards are recognition too- and Russell Wilson just completed arguably the best rookie season in NFL history, with only Big Ben and RG3 making compelling counter-arguments. I'd hate to pick between RG3 and Wilson this year, really it's a shame they can't split the award. But last I checked, RG3 is not a Seahawk. He was not a 3rd round pick. He was not a guy labelled too short to play in the NFL. He was not a backup in August. So with all due respect to RG3, I would really like to see Wilson get that stupid award. Obviously, winning a championship is priority one, but seeing Wilson take home hardware is a surprisingly close second, at least for me.

    So in that sense today was bittersweet. Wilson just had one of the best games of his career and somehow only walked out with one passing TD, when two would have given him sole possession of the record. That sucked- but we won, and he at least got a share, even if he deserved an even better result than what he got.


    Even here you are admitting that the voting will be tight here and with the combined hype, RW is facing a massive uphill battle (come on people, make me eat crow).

    You also hit on the fact that he had a massive opportunity squandered. After being sacked six times he still put up great numbers. Now imagine if there wasn't the inexplicable implosion on the offensive line and the crazy choice of putting Sweezy in there (resulting in two, if not three sacks). Frustrating to think about what could have been with RWs performance.
    User avatar
    falcongoggles
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3379
    Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2011 1:46 pm
    Location: Florence, Italy


Re: Random Thoughts™ on the Rams game
Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:22 am
  • I always get a kick out of how much of a Seahawks fan Kip is. (Just short of face-painting though, I suspect). Enjoyable read.

    The Rams have one of the best young defensive lines in the league. I'm going to give them props. Seemed to me that without some good help from the TE's and the RB's, things could have been much worse.

    It will be interesting to hear all of the Wilson talk this week. I'm going to predict a relative love-fest based on this weeks matchup with RGIII. I'm not sure when the award is announced, but I'm sure Russ will be stoked to perform well regardless. If he wins the award it would something very special indeed.
    Image
    "...Seattle has become the capital city of the New NFL" - Kip Earlywine
    :les: Remembering "The Radish"...
    User avatar
    HoustonHawk82
    * NET Mechanic *
     
    Posts: 7395
    Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:51 am
    Location: Beneath, Between & Behind


Re: Random Thoughts™ on the Rams game
Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:53 am
  • Agreed Houston. People (on here at least) seem to understand that the defensive line of the Rams is LOADED with top 5 talent and will be a force to be dealt with in the upcoming seasons. Jeff Fisher is an excellent coach and seems to be a classy individual. I've always liked him.

    Going to some of the Ram boards I don't understand the hate towards Carroll and our Seahawks. I don't have the same feelings towards St Louis. They really hate us. Oh well.

    Oh yeah, Thanks Kearly. I enjoy your work and it's appreciated.
    User avatar
    morgulon1
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3657
    Joined: Sat May 02, 2009 10:07 am
    Location: Spokane, Wa


Re: Random Thoughts™ on the Rams game
Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:58 am
  • morgulon1 wrote:Going to some of the Ram boards I don't understand the hate towards Carroll and our Seahawks. I don't have the same feelings towards St Louis. They really hate us. Oh well.


    Yep, I don't get it either. I guess having a team do a complete rebuild while going 7-9, 7-9 is pretty painful to a team that's been in rebuild for a decade. We'd probably feel the same way about them if the tables were turned (thankfully it's not).

    morgulon1 wrote:Oh yeah, Thanks Kearly. I enjoy your work and it's appreciated.


    I agree with this as well. Thanks Kearly!
    _________________
    "I can deal with Kap looking/acting like a douchebag so long as he wins. You can't be a douche AND a loser, Kap. Get your ---- together, a-hole."

    .....................................................................................-Webzone Niner fan GhostOfJimmyDean
    User avatar
    Trenchbroom
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*
     
    Posts: 1975
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:47 am
    Location: Spokangeles


Re: Random Thoughts™ on the Rams game
Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:02 am
  • kearly wrote:.....When Seattle does blitz, or even show blitz, the difference in pressure is night and day. I've given Pete the benefit of the doubt the last several weeks, but the playoffs are here and it's time to stop being cute..........


    I could not agree with this more. This team must blitz more often and trust their defensive backfield if they're going to make a SB run. Perhaps getting Browner back will facillitate this.
    From the white sands
    To the canyon lands
    To the redwood stands
    To the barren lands

    ImageImage

    Proud member of the 38 club
    User avatar
    hawksfansinceday1
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 13710
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:38 am
    Location: Vancouver, WA


Re: Random Thoughts™ on the Rams game
Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:04 am
  • Trenchbroom wrote:
    morgulon1 wrote:Going to some of the Ram boards I don't understand the hate towards Carroll and our Seahawks. I don't have the same feelings towards St Louis. They really hate us. Oh well.


    Yep, I don't get it either. I guess having a team do a complete rebuild while going 7-9, 7-9 is pretty painful to a team that's been in rebuild for a decade. We'd probably feel the same way about them if the tables were turned (thankfully it's not).

    morgulon1 wrote:Oh yeah, Thanks Kearly. I enjoy your work and it's appreciated.


    I agree with this as well. Thanks Kearly!



    Do you remember when Holmgren was in the process of turning the Seahawks around in the eraly 2000's? IIRC the Rams were still pretty good and I personally felt like they were the team to beat and I felt a little more animosity towards them .Losing the game at Qwest after leading for most of the game hurt and then Issac Bruce doing the whole "helmet on the field " stunt kind of solidified my feelings.

    But then a funny thing happened, we got better and they got worse. In fact we wouldn't lose another game to them for like...8 or 9 seasons? I feel like we might be having some pretty good games with them for the forseeable future. Yet I still dont hate their guts like the 9ers. I think its the coaches of the two teams.
    User avatar
    morgulon1
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3657
    Joined: Sat May 02, 2009 10:07 am
    Location: Spokane, Wa


Re: Random Thoughts™ on the Rams game
Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:24 am
  • One point of clarification- the Rams have one top 5 player (Chris Long) on the defensive line. Robert Quinn was drafted at #14 in 2011 and Michael Brockers was drafted #14 in 2012. Kendall Langford, our Left DT was drafted in the 3rd round in 2008 by the Dolphins. This is the only 1st round picks on the defensive side of the ball the Rams have.
    candyman4881
    NET Practice Squad
     
    Posts: 97
    Joined: Sat Jan 08, 2011 5:22 pm


Re: Random Thoughts™ on the Rams game
Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:27 pm
  • candyman4881 wrote:One point of clarification- the Rams have one top 5 player (Chris Long) on the defensive line. Robert Quinn was drafted at #14 in 2011 and Michael Brockers was drafted #14 in 2012. Kendall Langford, our Left DT was drafted in the 3rd round in 2008 by the Dolphins. This is the only 1st round picks on the defensive side of the ball the Rams have.

    What's your point?

    Seattle starting defensive unit (bolded are the homegrown):

    Chris Clemons- UDFA (Redskins)
    Alan Branch- 2nd round (Cardinals)
    Brandon Mebane- 3rd round
    Red Bryant- 4th round
    Leroy Hill- 3rd round
    Bobby Wagner- 2nd round
    KJ Wright- 4th round
    Richard Sherman- 5th round
    Brandon Browner- UDFA via CFL
    Kam Chancellor- 5th round
    Earl Thomas- 1st round

    One first round pick, a mid first rounder at that, in the entire starting defense for the Seahawks. The #1 scoring defense in the league.
    Follow me on Twitter: @realchrisbrown5
    Backpack Rich
    User avatar
    ChrisB Bacon
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 652
    Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:42 pm


Re: Random Thoughts™ on the Rams game
Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:37 pm
  • And boom goes the dynamite
    I am Godzilla, you are Japan!
    User avatar
    Recon_Hawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2219
    Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2010 7:01 pm
    Location: Vancouver, Wa


Re: Random Thoughts™ on the Rams game
Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:55 am
  • ChrisB Bacon wrote:
    candyman4881 wrote:One point of clarification- the Rams have one top 5 player (Chris Long) on the defensive line. Robert Quinn was drafted at #14 in 2011 and Michael Brockers was drafted #14 in 2012. Kendall Langford, our Left DT was drafted in the 3rd round in 2008 by the Dolphins. This is the only 1st round picks on the defensive side of the ball the Rams have.

    What's your point?

    Seattle starting defensive unit (bolded are the homegrown):

    Chris Clemons- UDFA (Redskins)
    Alan Branch- 2nd round (Cardinals)
    Brandon Mebane- 3rd round
    Red Bryant- 4th round
    Leroy Hill- 3rd round
    Bobby Wagner- 2nd round
    KJ Wright- 4th round
    Richard Sherman- 5th round
    Brandon Browner- UDFA via CFL
    Kam Chancellor- 5th round
    Earl Thomas- 1st round

    One first round pick, a mid first rounder at that, in the entire starting defense for the Seahawks. The #1 scoring defense in the league.


    No real point being made - just clarifying misinformation earlier in the thread that the Rams have multiple top 5 draft picks on the D Line - that is all
    candyman4881
    NET Practice Squad
     
    Posts: 97
    Joined: Sat Jan 08, 2011 5:22 pm




It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 8:00 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]




Information