Play calling

Blazenhawks

Reaction score
Do you cuz ever notice that we never call quick slants or come back routs? Do you think it's because of Wilson's height or the play calling?

AbsolutNET

Reaction score
Ive often wondered why we don't check to a slant or smoke when the DB is playing over 6 yards off on 1st or 2nd down. We still push the routes deep against a cushion, thats one thing I really dont get and it got us into some trouble today. It will absolutely KILL us next week if we don't have a short passing package to throw behind their blitzes.

Blitzhawk

Reaction score
I believe that is purely Bevell....he seems to have something against them. We almost never utilize them since he got here. I remember how Holmy utilized them for a virtual gimme 3rd and 5 pickup nearly every time.

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
AbsolutNET":2wjhsb1t said:
Ive often wondered why we don't check to a slant or smoke when the DB is playing over 6 yards off on 1st or 2nd down. We still push the routes deep against a cushion, thats one thing I really dont get and it got us into some trouble today. It will absolutely KILL us next week if we don't have a short passing package to throw behind their blitzes.

It will be "key" for Russell to get rid of the ball earlier than he did today.

Hawks46

Reaction score
maybe it's a sight line issue. You have to wait for throwing lanes to develop.

Wilson is amazing, but there are certain hindrances to being 5'11"

bloodkingg

Reaction score
Those are both timing routes which we don't do very much of. I think it's because they want to utilize his mobility, and quite frankly our receivers kind of suck at getting separation if Wilson isn't running around for 10 seconds. I noticed that one curl route by Tate today which was very nice, showed Wilson can throw through small lanes. I think Bevell it just playing into his personnel, however, I think with Wilson proving his accuracy we'd be fine to start doing these plays more.

Also, why don't we have a damn check down more often for blitzes? Bradford was eating us alive in the underneath game, why couldn't we do that I kept wondering.

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
Maybe we do?

Maybe Wilson is supposed to check to the hot read when he recognizes the blitzes blitz but for whatever reason isn't?
He is a rookie. It's possible he isn't always getting us into the perfect play against the defense he is seeing presnap.

seahawks08

Reaction score
Does Drew Brees have the same problem, or may be the receivers know exactly where to be and the throw just comes there.. Maybe they will adapt better..

bloodkingg

Reaction score
Yeah, that's what I'm thinking. Maybe next year he'll have more command of the offense to the point where he can initiate hot routes or dump it to a running back. He'll probably also start to learn where his receivers are and begin to get a intuitive feel for timing and placing his body in the right spot in the pocket to go with another offseason to get a rapport with his receiving corp.

I don't really believe Wilson has any flaws he can't overcome with his brain, so time and experience will probably solve these issues.

Blitzhawk

Reaction score
I just do not buy the too short to do this argument. He is only a couple inches shorter than other QB's doing this. Most every time we have done them has either resulted in a catch or a Def hold/PI. I can only recall one that was dropped but the throw was there, just not caught. I can believe the "our personnel are not good at it so we don't" to some extent since we do seem to be missing that Bobby Engram type. Who knows, maybe it never works well in practice so we don't run it but would be nice to figure it out or find the ppl to run it if that is the issue.

bloodkingg

Reaction score
Also, I just remembered, a lot of our playcalling is the same as last year. Plays that are designed with the idea that our offensive line is not good and the quarterback needs to survive. I think as our offensive line grows in the upcoming years, it will allow us to do more normal timed dropbacks. Along with what I mentioned before, and what oregonhawkfan recommends in getting the right receivers, these types of plays will nicely augment our already efficient offense.

TheHawkster

Reaction score
Bevell used the "B" side of the playbook today.
Seattle showed absolutely nothing on offense and it looked strikingly like Miami in person.

looked like they were playing the game while playing the game.