Is it time to ditch Thurmond?

The Essential Online Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. RATING: PG-13
Re: Is it time to ditch Thurmond?
Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:08 pm
  • Bring Thurmond back. Like others have said, he's not a burden financially. He's shown enough talent that if he ever got healthy, he'd be a legit #2 corner.
    User avatar
    -The Glove-
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 7205
    Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:12 am


Re: Is it time to ditch Thurmond?
Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:18 pm
  • Why are we so quick to kick good players off the team?? Jeez.
    Image
    User avatar
    Jazzhawk
    * NET News Scoop *
    * NET News Scoop *
     
    Posts: 9010
    Joined: Sat Apr 18, 2009 6:16 pm


Re: Is it time to ditch Thurmond?
Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:34 pm

Re: Is it time to ditch Thurmond?
Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:40 pm
  • I think we need to see how the season pans out. The guy has had some tough breaks and it is disappointing to not have him on the field, but, I don't see the harm in having him showing up in the spring.
    Image

    R.I.P. Brother Les
    User avatar
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor
     
    Posts: 24230
    Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:38 pm
    Location: Freddy's favorite song?....Dream On


Re: Is it time to ditch Thurmond?
Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:54 pm
  • Jazzhawk wrote:Why are we so quick to kick good players off the team?? Jeez.


    His ability is not in question, as was clearly stated.

    His health is very much in question. And it's not "so quick"...we have been seeing this for 3 seasons now.

    Is he worth the roster spot when he is perpetually injured? That's the crux.

    To those who are saying "it's not hurting us keeping him"....I'm not sure that's true. He is taking a roster spot from someone else.

    Again, I like him a lot. Just questioning if it's diminishing returns. Right on cue, now it looks like he is IR'd:

    http://seahawks.net/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=60869
    @SeahawkGreg

    Image

    "I will be thrilled with 10 wins.... If we win 14 games, I will tattoo my nuts green and blue!" --13thMan
    User avatar
    FlyingGreg
    * Master Chief *
    * Master Chief *
     
    Posts: 7534
    Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 6:19 am
    Location: CVN-68


Re: Is it time to ditch Thurmond?
Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:26 pm
  • Greg. I think you were ahead of John Schneider on this one.

    Bravo!
    "Some people here have been groomed to accept mediocrity and lame ducks, I'm on board with the vibrato!" -SouthSoundHawk
    "BFS is kicking ass in here." -kearly (8/9/2013)
    User avatar
    bestfightstory
    * Glitter over Knives *
     
    Posts: 8511
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:13 pm


Re: Is it time to ditch Thurmond?
Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:31 pm
  • Thurmond is good. when healthy.... he has been a liability this year.. but still remember he was our STARTER last year over trufant, and Sherman... he is good..
    Just squishy.. until his rookie contract is over he is still 2nd best corner on this team. (When healthy) THAT is worth holding on to until we have no choice.
    --/*Seattle Seahawks*\--
    User avatar
    hawks4thewin
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 707
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:42 pm


Re: Is it time to ditch Thurmond?
Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:31 pm
  • FlyingGreg wrote:
    Jazzhawk wrote:Why are we so quick to kick good players off the team?? Jeez.


    His ability is not in question, as was clearly stated.

    His health is very much in question. And it's not "so quick"...we have been seeing this for 3 seasons now.

    Is he worth the roster spot when he is perpetually injured? That's the crux.

    To those who are saying "it's not hurting us keeping him"....I'm not sure that's true. He is taking a roster spot from someone else.

    Again, I like him a lot. Just questioning if it's diminishing returns. Right on cue, now it looks like he is IR'd:

    http://seahawks.net/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=60869


    Would you rather have Walter Thurmond take a roster spot or Ron Parker? One is a very good player who might get injured and go on IR, in which case another roster spot is created. One is an average player who likely will be inactive every week.

    Thurmond is the more valuable player, even if he does get injured. The reward is greater then the risk. If he were taking up a ton of salary cap space, or if we had a better player on the roster that we had to cut for him then we should move on. But he's not, and we dont.
    Image
    User avatar
    JSeahawks
    * NET Moderator *
     
    Posts: 18608
    Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:35 pm
    Location: Milwaukie, Oregon


Re: Is it time to ditch Thurmond?
Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:39 pm
  • Jazzhawk wrote:Why are we so quick to kick good players off the team?? Jeez.


    Gee, I don't know, maybe because he can't stay healthy?
    Image

    Les "The Radish" Norton - Ambassador/Grandfather of .NET, gone too soon but will never be forgotten. RIP
    User avatar
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]
     
    Posts: 8190
    Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:58 am
    Location: Just 6 miles from Richard Sherman!


Re: Is it time to ditch Thurmond?
Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:01 pm
  • He will come to camp next year to compete for a spot.

    He will get injured and not make it out of camp.

    We have spent entirely too much time on this guy.
    Image
    User avatar
    Tech Worlds
    * Capt'n Dom *
    * Capt'n Dom *
     
    Posts: 9712
    Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:40 am
    Location: Granite Falls, WA


Re: Is it time to ditch Thurmond?
Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:07 pm
  • JSeahawks wrote:
    FlyingGreg wrote:
    Jazzhawk wrote:Why are we so quick to kick good players off the team?? Jeez.


    His ability is not in question, as was clearly stated.

    His health is very much in question. And it's not "so quick"...we have been seeing this for 3 seasons now.

    Is he worth the roster spot when he is perpetually injured? That's the crux.

    To those who are saying "it's not hurting us keeping him"....I'm not sure that's true. He is taking a roster spot from someone else.

    Again, I like him a lot. Just questioning if it's diminishing returns. Right on cue, now it looks like he is IR'd:

    http://seahawks.net/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=60869


    Would you rather have Walter Thurmond take a roster spot or Ron Parker? One is a very good player who might get injured and go on IR, in which case another roster spot is created. One is an average player who likely will be inactive every week.

    Thurmond is the more valuable player, even if he does get injured. The reward is greater then the risk. If he were taking up a ton of salary cap space, or if we had a better player on the roster that we had to cut for him then we should move on. But he's not, and we dont.


    Your Duck bias is showing!

    :lol:

    Just kidding....
    @SeahawkGreg

    Image

    "I will be thrilled with 10 wins.... If we win 14 games, I will tattoo my nuts green and blue!" --13thMan
    User avatar
    FlyingGreg
    * Master Chief *
    * Master Chief *
     
    Posts: 7534
    Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 6:19 am
    Location: CVN-68


Re: Is it time to ditch Thurmond?
Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:09 pm
  • He's under contract for one more season and will cost about $700 K for next year. At this point he's played in 5 of 50 possible games incl. this weekend. He'll likely get to end of next camp to demonstrate he's worth keeping around, but his injury record does not argue well for his future here. Fortunately the team has some depth at CB now.
    Until we develop a pass rush that will cause opposing teams to be forced to scheme to defend it we will never be able to completely take the final step. That was done and the final step was taken.

    Super Bowl XLVIII Champions at last after 38 seasons.

    What a special magical year!
    jammerhawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1890
    Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 12:13 pm


Re: Is it time to ditch Thurmond?
Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:18 pm
  • Thurmond probably will blossom with another team. He just has buzzard's luck right now. Maybe another team can get him healthy and he remains that way? Guy can flat out play but getting away from the PNW may do him some good.

    Let him play out his rookie contract, since it isn't killing the cap. Cut him if he isn't healthy at the end of next camp and re-sign him to a modest 2-3 yr deal if he plays all of next year. Otherwise, Jeremy Lane and Maxwell are your 3rd and 4th DBs. Draft your usual DB type in the draft and keep piling them up.

    Thurmond was a good gamble. He would have fit right in with the sudden gush of young talent that is sprouting up across the team.
    Image
    Leon Washington 2010-2012 Red Bryant 2008-2013 Chris Clemons 2010-2013 Golden Tate 2010-2013
    Brandon Browner 2011-2013 Breno Giacomini 2011-2013 - Gone but not forgotten.
    R.I.P Les "PithyRadish" Norton 9/13/2014
    User avatar
    drdiags
    * The Doc *
    * The Doc *
     
    Posts: 9331
    Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 7:33 am
    Location: Covington, Washington


Re: Is it time to ditch Thurmond?
Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:33 pm
  • drdiags wrote:Thurmond probably will blossom with another team. He just has buzzard's luck right now. Maybe another team can get him healthy and he remains that way? Guy can flat out play but getting away from the PNW may do him some good.

    Let him play out his rookie contract, since it isn't killing the cap. Cut him if he isn't healthy at the end of next camp and re-sign him to a modest 2-3 yr deal if he plays all of next year. Otherwise, Jeremy Lane and Maxwell are your 3rd and 4th DBs. Draft your usual DB type in the draft and keep piling them up.

    Thurmond was a good gamble. He would have fit right in with the sudden gush of young talent that is sprouting up across the team.


    Voice of reason, as always.
    @SeahawkGreg

    Image

    "I will be thrilled with 10 wins.... If we win 14 games, I will tattoo my nuts green and blue!" --13thMan
    User avatar
    FlyingGreg
    * Master Chief *
    * Master Chief *
     
    Posts: 7534
    Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 6:19 am
    Location: CVN-68


Re: Is it time to ditch Thurmond?
Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:36 pm
  • Where is Roy Lewis
    We are the 2014 Superbowl champions and it can never, ever be taken away.
    Greatest defense in NFL history.
    User avatar
    Seeker
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1343
    Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2011 7:21 pm


Re: Is it time to ditch Thurmond?
Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:37 am
  • MontanaHawk05 wrote:All joking aside, it says something about Thurmond's talent that PC/JS have kept him around for this long through all the ridiculous DB churn. Hawkblogger, in a moment of hyperbole, called him "as good as Sherman" today. He's not that good, but it says something that he even draws those comparisons.


    Small sample size caveat applies, but when Thurmond played his last full game in 2011- he was lights out (vs. Giants). In his first game back in a starting role this season he was lights out again. I agree that it's a little silly to compare Thurmond to Sherman just because his sample size isn't big enough (insert drug test joke here). However, if Hawkblogger had phrased it by saying that in Thurmond's last two starts he played on an elite level, I would not disagree. Frankly, the news today about Thurmond's IR took a lot of the shine off of the Sherman news earlier this week. A healthy Sherman/Browner/Thurmond trio would just be sick and wrong in the playoffs.
    User avatar
    kearly
    * Mr Random Thought *
     
    Posts: 11218
    Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:44 am


Re: Is it time to ditch Thurmond?
Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:40 am
  • kearly wrote:
    MontanaHawk05 wrote:All joking aside, it says something about Thurmond's talent that PC/JS have kept him around for this long through all the ridiculous DB churn. Hawkblogger, in a moment of hyperbole, called him "as good as Sherman" today. He's not that good, but it says something that he even draws those comparisons.


    Small sample size caveat applies, but when Thurmond played his last full game in 2011- he was lights out (vs. Giants). In his first game back in a starting role this season he was lights out again. I agree that it's a little silly to compare Thurmond to Sherman just because his sample size isn't big enough (insert drug test joke here). However, if Hawkblogger had phrased it by saying that in Thurmond's last two starts he played on an elite level, I would not disagree.


    So are we paying him 700 grand a start?

    Revis money?
    Image
    User avatar
    Tech Worlds
    * Capt'n Dom *
    * Capt'n Dom *
     
    Posts: 9712
    Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:40 am
    Location: Granite Falls, WA


Re: Is it time to ditch Thurmond?
Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:14 am
  • I believe that would be a major mistake, from what i was reading on here last year the same things were being said about Okung and look at him now. The guy had injuries he was trying to come back from so give him a break. He is extremely talented so why give up on him? We have great depth at the position so if it wasn't for his injury plus Trufant being out as well as Browner the other guys would not be able to display there talents. I call it a blessing in disguise the Giants have a surplus of pass rushers and the Seahawks have a surplus of outstanding corners so i say keep them all until we can't afford them then trade them for draft picks if push comes to shove.
    bighawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 556
    Joined: Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:44 am


Re: Is it time to ditch Thurmond?
Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:50 am
  • bighawk wrote:I believe that would be a major mistake, from what i was reading on here last year the same things were being said about Okung and look at him now. The guy had injuries he was trying to come back from so give him a break. He is extremely talented so why give up on him? We have great depth at the position so if it wasn't for his injury plus Trufant being out as well as Browner the other guys would not be able to display there talents. I call it a blessing in disguise the Giants have a surplus of pass rushers and the Seahawks have a surplus of outstanding corners so i say keep them all until we can't afford them then trade them for draft picks if push comes to shove.


    No, not the same comparison. Okung didn't miss whole seasons. He at least was able to come back from his ankles. This guy gets hurt then he's done for the year. He is the most brittle player on the team. I need to see at least 5 games in a row before I'll change my tune from injury prone to merly snake bit.
    Image
    User avatar
    Tech Worlds
    * Capt'n Dom *
    * Capt'n Dom *
     
    Posts: 9712
    Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:40 am
    Location: Granite Falls, WA


Re: Is it time to ditch Thurmond?
Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:48 am
  • Thurmond is our Bob Sanders. Cant name a player in the league more fragile than him
    ----
    ensett
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1532
    Joined: Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:26 am


Re: Is it time to ditch Thurmond?
Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:36 pm
  • he has speed and brings some unique skills that Pete and JS sees, I don't think it is time to drop him. People said the same about Russel Okung and Zach Miller at one point who are highly paid and see how it is working out now. Have patience. this guy will be a beast next season where most of our nickel and dime packages we suffered from this year will be fixed next year.
    seahawks08
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 638
    Joined: Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:15 pm


Re: Is it time to ditch Thurmond?
Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:30 pm
  • If WTIII signs a contract with his current salary, I see no reason why JS won't bring him back. They brought in Ruud last year who is injured even more than Thurmond and that sort of worked out. Worse case scenario, we hopefully get a late round pick for him if a new CB beats him out in camp next year.
    Hawks fan from Vancouver, Canada!

    " I am on a constant quest for knowledge" - RW
    User avatar
    CanadianBeastmode
    NET Bench Warmer
     
    Posts: 2
    Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:39 pm


Re: Is it time to ditch Thurmond?
Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:47 pm
  • seahawks08 wrote:he has speed and brings some unique skills that Pete and JS sees, I don't think it is time to drop him. People said the same about Russel Okung and Zach Miller at one point who are highly paid and see how it is working out now. Have patience. this guy will be a beast next season where most of our nickel and dime packages we suffered from this year will be fixed next year.


    Okung has never played fewer than double digit games, it isnt comparable. Miller has missed 3 games in his career, I dont think anybody ever said anything like this about him. WT3 has missed more games since highschool than he has played, he is to health as Evan Moore is to talent.
    ----
    ensett
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1532
    Joined: Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:26 am


Re: Is it time to ditch Thurmond?
Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:06 pm
  • ensett wrote:
    seahawks08 wrote:he has speed and brings some unique skills that Pete and JS sees, I don't think it is time to drop him. People said the same about Russel Okung and Zach Miller at one point who are highly paid and see how it is working out now. Have patience. this guy will be a beast next season where most of our nickel and dime packages we suffered from this year will be fixed next year.


    Okung has never played fewer than double digit games, it isnt comparable. Miller has missed 3 games in his career, I dont think anybody ever said anything like this about him. WT3 has missed more games since highschool than he has played, he is to health as Evan Moore is to talent.


    This is not true but dont let facts get in your way.

    In college he started 41 of 52 games in his 4 years. In the pro's he's played 22 out of 48 (after tomorrow).
    Image
    User avatar
    JSeahawks
    * NET Moderator *
     
    Posts: 18608
    Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:35 pm
    Location: Milwaukie, Oregon


Re: Is it time to ditch Thurmond?
Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:20 pm
  • I know for a FACT that Thurmond as a child was hurt falling off his bicycle and couldn't complete his paper route.

    We just didn't do our due diligence with this guy prior to the draft.
    Image
    User avatar
    Tech Worlds
    * Capt'n Dom *
    * Capt'n Dom *
     
    Posts: 9712
    Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:40 am
    Location: Granite Falls, WA


Re: Is it time to ditch Thurmond?
Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:29 pm
  • Thurman was injured almost all of '08 and played thru it. He was lost after the first game in '09 against Cal with a severe knee injury. He is good when he can play , but he has in reality been injured a great deal since then
    User avatar
    Happypuppy
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1890
    Joined: Sat Sep 04, 2010 5:40 pm


Re: Is it time to ditch Thurmond?
Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:12 pm
  • No reason to dump him.
    I'm In!


    What attracted you to the Seahawks?
    “It’s a combination of what I believe the coaches are doing here, the atmosphere and what I think we’re going to do here in the future. I think we’re going to win and win a lot and be a championship team.” – Zac Miller, August 4, 2011
    User avatar
    Seafan
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3499
    Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2007 2:30 pm
    Location: Helotes, TX




It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:05 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]




Information