Is it time to ditch Thurmond?

The Essential Online Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. RATING: PG-13
Is it time to ditch Thurmond?
Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:52 pm
  • I don't mean ditch him now...but after the season.

He's talented....but the dude just CANNOT stay healthy. He's out this week AGAIN and Pete said today probably out for the first playoff game as well. He's been active for only 22 of 48 games since he turned pro. I like him, but this is getting really, really old.

Lane looks like a great slot cover/depth guy. Trufant will probably be released after the season. Perhaps we should draft some more CB depth.
    @SeahawkGreg

"I will be thrilled with 10 wins.... If we win 14 games, I will tattoo my nuts green and blue!" --13thMan
    FlyingGreg
    * Master Chief *
    * Master Chief *

Re: Is it time to ditch Thurmond?
Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:53 pm
  • Competition, baby. He'll have to earn his way on the team next year. I have a feeling he will.
    * NET Staff *

Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:54 pm
  • Hawkstorian wrote:Competition, baby. He'll have to earn his way on the team next year. I have a feeling he will.

Talent wise, I agree. But he's taking up a roster spot right now...and I'm not sure his talent will keep trumping that.
    @SeahawkGreg

"I will be thrilled with 10 wins.... If we win 14 games, I will tattoo my nuts green and blue!" --13thMan
    FlyingGreg
    * Master Chief *
    * Master Chief *

Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:56 pm
  • Not our call.

I'm sure that Pete and John will do the best thing for the team.
    your Superbowl XLVIII Champion Seattle Seahawks.. how sweet is that!!
    onanygivensunday
    NET Veteran

Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:57 pm
  • If you listened to this board, twitter, most other avenues you'd probably have to say yes.

I'm with Hawkstorian. It doesn't hurt to have him on the team in camp next season, competing for a spot. There is no harm in that. We know he's got the talent, we see it every time he plays no matter how rare we actually see him play. He'll have to earn it next season like 'Storian says, but I agree that he will.

I'm pulling for him but he's fighting an uphill battle. Either way, we'll have some good DB's on the roster again next season, that I'm sure of.
    Talkin Seahawks All Day, All Night @ my blog Seafense! http://seafense.blogspot.com/
    NYCoug
    NET Veteran

Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:58 pm
  • onanygivensunday wrote:Not our call.

I'm sure that Pete and John will do the best thing for the team.

None of what we discuss in here is "our call". Come on, you can do better . . .
    @SeahawkGreg

FlyingGreg
    * Master Chief *
    * Master Chief *

Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:00 pm
  • wow
    I don't know why I bother... no one cares what I think.
    zhawk
    NET Veteran

Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:04 pm
  • Nah, I give him until the end of his contract

We just sent a LT to the pro bowl that only played 22 out of 34 games in his first two seasons that people were claiming was injury prone.

Yes, Thurmond has missed even more games, but he's suffered from really bad injuries that can take a few years to really get over - tearing knee ligaments, breaking his leg and then again damaged his knee in the offseason, but with the correct physio and nursing it's possible to salvage him.

People were saying the same about Sidney Rice but I bet nobody is ready to dump him now...
    themunn
    NET Veteran

Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:05 pm
  • Nope, no point.

If he can't get healthy guys will just pass him on the depth chart. His contract is by no means a burden. Never like to call for another mans job.

Its not like "shoot, we need to ditch Thurmond so that we could keep Ron Parker on the team"
    kobebryant
    NET Veteran

Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:06 pm
  • Thurmond is a really good corner and I think the best option we have to cover the slot. I have faith in him getting healthy and when he does, opposing offenses will have nowhere to throw to except the check down.
    "God Bless the Seattle Seahawks" Cortez Kennedy
    ivotuk
    * NET Nobody *

Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:08 pm
  • themunn wrote:Nah, I give him until the end of his contract

We just sent a LT to the pro bowl that only played 22 out of 34 games in his first two seasons that people were claiming was injury prone.

Yes, Thurmond has missed even more games, but he's suffered from really bad injuries that can take a few years to really get over - tearing knee ligaments, breaking his leg and then again damaged his knee in the offseason, but with the correct physio and nursing it's possible to salvage him.

People were saying the same about Sidney Rice but I bet nobody is ready to dump him now...

22 out of 34 is a lot different than 22 out of 48. The difference is 64% to 45%, which is significant.

But good point on the severity of Thurmond's injuries.
    @SeahawkGreg

FlyingGreg
    * Master Chief *
    * Master Chief *

Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:17 pm
  • Thurmond missed just as much time in college, too. To say hes made out of glass would actually be better than he really is.
    ----
    ensett
    NET Veteran

Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:18 pm
  • FlyingGreg wrote:but the dude just CANNOT stay healthy.

Neither could "glass ankles" Okung.
    bmorepunk
    NET Veteran

Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:28 pm
  • bmorepunk wrote:
    FlyingGreg wrote:but the dude just CANNOT stay healthy.

Neither could "glass ankles" Okung.

To be fair Okung had a history of good health missing only one game in college ironically for a high ankle sprain that he only missed one game for. Thurmond was consistently banged up in college.

Someone said it best, he's still on his rookie contract, it doesn't hurt the Seahawks to bring him to camp next year. I figure Trufant won't be back.

Looking down the road I think the Hawks are going to have to make a decision to keep Browner OR Sherman and that's an easy call, I could see them drafting one in the next two years in the first four rounds.
    WestcoastSteve
    NET Veteran

Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:32 pm
  • Lane may make this post moot.
    @ryanadamdavis
    pehawk
    * Report Button *

Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:45 pm
  • Nope. If he's healthy going into training camp and is healthy come roster cut downs I sure hope he's on the roster. I see no reason to dump him now, were not that crunched for spots on the roster. Let him compete and if he's healthy I'm sure he'll earn a spot.

And honestly not that much of a surprise he had a muscle pull in his first game back.
    JKent82
    NET Veteran

Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:51 pm
  • I'll trust Pete on this one. I expect that he will continue to add corners in the 2013 draft- or possibly with UDFA selections.

When healthy Thurmond is (IMO) our 2nd best corner. He is terrific at timing his jump on routes much like Sherman is. Someone used Okung as an analogy. I think that's spot on- other than the obvious difference between the two- Okung did not have an obvious replacement and wasn't a small investment to acquire like Thurmond was. I think it's a good analogy though because teams will always give a lot of injury leeway to players with obvious talent.

But maybe Seattle drafts a stud CB in round 4 and/or 5 this year, and it looks like a really tight race for the last few CB spots next year. In a best case scenario (Seattle strikes it rich with two more corners in the 2013 draft), I could see Seattle very reluctantly parting ways with Thurmond, but I think it would take a lot to knock him off this roster, especially at a position where teams tend to carry so many that usually at least one of them is inactive every week anyway (teams can only have 45 active players).
    kearly
    * Mr Random Thought *

Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:54 pm
  • ensett wrote:Thurmond missed just as much time in college, too. To say hes made out of glass would actually be better than he really is.

This is not true.

Before his season ending injury as a senior he started 41 of 43 games, then the 4th game of his senior season he blew out his knee on a kick return and missed the rest of the season.

I'm with most of the others, there's no reason not to bring him to camp next season. Hopefully he can get his body right and stay healthy because I believe he's the 2nd best cornerback on our roster.
    JSeahawks
    * NET Moderator *

Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:58 pm
  • NYCoug wrote:It doesn't hurt to have him on the team in camp next season...

No, but it would probably hurt him.

All joking aside, it says something about Thurmond's talent that PC/JS have kept him around for this long through all the ridiculous DB churn. Hawkblogger, in a moment of hyperbole, called him "as good as Sherman" today. He's not that good, but it says something that he even draws those comparisons.

Thurmond could be one of the final turning points that leads to our epic 2013 season.
    GO HAWKS!!!

Visit my Seahawks blog at 17power.blogspot.com!

Follow me on Twitter at @17power
    MontanaHawk05
    * 17Power Blogger *

Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:59 pm
  • Don't think we really need Thurmond this week.. Lane should handle whatever Rams WR isn't named "Amendola" pretty well. We get Browner back for the WC game.. which is big.

Having Thurmond at 100% (or whatever 100% for him is) for a possible match-up with Atlanta would be awesome. Atlanta has the best WR's in the NFC right now by a long shot.. we will need our secondary for that one.
    February 2, 2014... the day the dream was finally realized
    Hasselbeck
    * NET Sage *

Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:08 pm
  • Bring Thurmond back. Like others have said, he's not a burden financially. He's shown enough talent that if he ever got healthy, he'd be a legit #2 corner.
    -The Glove-
    NET Veteran

Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:18 pm
  • Why are we so quick to kick good players off the team?? Jeez.
    Jazzhawk
    * NET News Scoop *
    * NET News Scoop *

Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:34 pm

Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:40 pm
  • I think we need to see how the season pans out. The guy has had some tough breaks and it is disappointing to not have him on the field, but, I don't see the harm in having him showing up in the spring.

R.I.P. Brother Les
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:54 pm
  • Jazzhawk wrote:Why are we so quick to kick good players off the team?? Jeez.

His ability is not in question, as was clearly stated.

His health is very much in question. And it's not "so quick"...we have been seeing this for 3 seasons now.

Is he worth the roster spot when he is perpetually injured? That's the crux.

To those who are saying "it's not hurting us keeping him"....I'm not sure that's true. He is taking a roster spot from someone else.

Again, I like him a lot. Just questioning if it's diminishing returns. Right on cue, now it looks like he is IR'd:

http://seahawks.net/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=60869
    @SeahawkGreg

FlyingGreg
    * Master Chief *
    * Master Chief *

Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:26 pm
  • Greg. I think you were ahead of John Schneider on this one.

Bravo!
    "Some people here have been groomed to accept mediocrity and lame ducks, I'm on board with the vibrato!" -SouthSoundHawk
    "BFS is kicking ass in here." -kearly (8/9/2013)
    bestfightstory
    * Glitter over Knives *

Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:31 pm
  • Thurmond is good. when healthy.... he has been a liability this year.. but still remember he was our STARTER last year over trufant, and Sherman... he is good..
    Just squishy.. until his rookie contract is over he is still 2nd best corner on this team. (When healthy) THAT is worth holding on to until we have no choice.
    --/*Seattle Seahawks*\--
    hawks4thewin
    NET Veteran

Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:31 pm
  • FlyingGreg wrote:
    Jazzhawk wrote:Why are we so quick to kick good players off the team?? Jeez.

His health is very much in question. And it's not "so quick"...we have been seeing this for 3 seasons now.

To those who are saying "it's not hurting us keeping him"....I'm not sure that's true. He is taking a roster spot from someone else.

Again, I like him a lot. Just questioning if it's diminishing returns. Right on cue, now it looks like he is IR'd:

Would you rather have Walter Thurmond take a roster spot or Ron Parker? One is a very good player who might get injured and go on IR, in which case another roster spot is created. One is an average player who likely will be inactive every week.

Thurmond is the more valuable player, even if he does get injured. The reward is greater then the risk. If he were taking up a ton of salary cap space, or if we had a better player on the roster that we had to cut for him then we should move on. But he's not, and we dont.
    JSeahawks
    * NET Moderator *

Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:39 pm
  • Jazzhawk wrote:Why are we so quick to kick good players off the team?? Jeez.

Gee, I don't know, maybe because he can't stay healthy?

Les "The Radish" Norton - Ambassador/Grandfather of .NET, gone too soon but will never be forgotten. RIP
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:01 pm
  • He will come to camp next year to compete for a spot.

He will get injured and not make it out of camp.

We have spent entirely too much time on this guy.
    Tech Worlds
    * Capt'n Dom *
    * Capt'n Dom *

Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:07 pm
  • JSeahawks wrote:
    FlyingGreg wrote:
    Jazzhawk wrote:Why are we so quick to kick good players off the team?? Jeez.

Would you rather have Walter Thurmond take a roster spot or Ron Parker? One is a very good player who might get injured and go on IR, in which case another roster spot is created. One is an average player who likely will be inactive every week.

Thurmond is the more valuable player, even if he does get injured. The reward is greater then the risk. If he were taking up a ton of salary cap space, or if we had a better player on the roster that we had to cut for him then we should move on. But he's not, and we dont.

Your Duck bias is showing!

:lol:

Just kidding....
    @SeahawkGreg

FlyingGreg
    * Master Chief *
    * Master Chief *

Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:09 pm
  • He's under contract for one more season and will cost about $700 K for next year. At this point he's played in 5 of 50 possible games incl. this weekend. He'll likely get to end of next camp to demonstrate he's worth keeping around, but his injury record does not argue well for his future here. Fortunately the team has some depth at CB now.
    Until we develop a pass rush that will cause opposing teams to be forced to scheme to defend it we will never be able to completely take the final step. That was done and the final step was taken.

Super Bowl XLVIII Champions at last after 38 seasons.

What a special magical year!
    jammerhawk
    NET Veteran

Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:18 pm
  • Thurmond probably will blossom with another team. He just has buzzard's luck right now. Maybe another team can get him healthy and he remains that way? Guy can flat out play but getting away from the PNW may do him some good.

Let him play out his rookie contract, since it isn't killing the cap. Cut him if he isn't healthy at the end of next camp and re-sign him to a modest 2-3 yr deal if he plays all of next year. Otherwise, Jeremy Lane and Maxwell are your 3rd and 4th DBs. Draft your usual DB type in the draft and keep piling them up.

Thurmond was a good gamble. He would have fit right in with the sudden gush of young talent that is sprouting up across the team.
    Leon Washington 2010-2012 Red Bryant 2008-2013 Chris Clemons 2010-2013 Golden Tate 2010-2013
    Brandon Browner 2011-2013 Breno Giacomini 2011-2013 - Gone but not forgotten.
    R.I.P Les "PithyRadish" Norton 9/13/2014
    drdiags
    * The Doc *
    * The Doc *

Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:33 pm
  • drdiags wrote:Thurmond probably will blossom with another team. He just has buzzard's luck right now. Maybe another team can get him healthy and he remains that way? Guy can flat out play but getting away from the PNW may do him some good.

Let him play out his rookie contract, since it isn't killing the cap. Cut him if he isn't healthy at the end of next camp and re-sign him to a modest 2-3 yr deal if he plays all of next year. Otherwise, Jeremy Lane and Maxwell are your 3rd and 4th DBs. Draft your usual DB type in the draft and keep piling them up.

Thurmond was a good gamble. He would have fit right in with the sudden gush of young talent that is sprouting up across the team.

Voice of reason, as always.
    @SeahawkGreg

FlyingGreg
    * Master Chief *
    * Master Chief *

Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:36 pm
  • Where is Roy Lewis
    We are the 2014 Superbowl champions and it can never, ever be taken away.
    Greatest defense in NFL history.
    Seeker
    NET Veteran

Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:37 am
  • MontanaHawk05 wrote:All joking aside, it says something about Thurmond's talent that PC/JS have kept him around for this long through all the ridiculous DB churn. Hawkblogger, in a moment of hyperbole, called him "as good as Sherman" today. He's not that good, but it says something that he even draws those comparisons.

Small sample size caveat applies, but when Thurmond played his last full game in 2011- he was lights out (vs. Giants). In his first game back in a starting role this season he was lights out again. I agree that it's a little silly to compare Thurmond to Sherman just because his sample size isn't big enough (insert drug test joke here). However, if Hawkblogger had phrased it by saying that in Thurmond's last two starts he played on an elite level, I would not disagree. Frankly, the news today about Thurmond's IR took a lot of the shine off of the Sherman news earlier this week. A healthy Sherman/Browner/Thurmond trio would just be sick and wrong in the playoffs.
    kearly
    * Mr Random Thought *

Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:40 am
  • kearly wrote:
    MontanaHawk05 wrote:All joking aside, it says something about Thurmond's talent that PC/JS have kept him around for this long through all the ridiculous DB churn. Hawkblogger, in a moment of hyperbole, called him "as good as Sherman" today. He's not that good, but it says something that he even draws those comparisons.

Small sample size caveat applies, but when Thurmond played his last full game in 2011- he was lights out (vs. Giants). In his first game back in a starting role this season he was lights out again. I agree that it's a little silly to compare Thurmond to Sherman just because his sample size isn't big enough (insert drug test joke here). However, if Hawkblogger had phrased it by saying that in Thurmond's last two starts he played on an elite level, I would not disagree.

So are we paying him 700 grand a start?

Revis money?
    Tech Worlds
    * Capt'n Dom *
    * Capt'n Dom *

Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:14 am
  • I believe that would be a major mistake, from what i was reading on here last year the same things were being said about Okung and look at him now. The guy had injuries he was trying to come back from so give him a break. He is extremely talented so why give up on him? We have great depth at the position so if it wasn't for his injury plus Trufant being out as well as Browner the other guys would not be able to display there talents. I call it a blessing in disguise the Giants have a surplus of pass rushers and the Seahawks have a surplus of outstanding corners so i say keep them all until we can't afford them then trade them for draft picks if push comes to shove.
    bighawk
    NET Veteran

Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:50 am
  • bighawk wrote:I believe that would be a major mistake, from what i was reading on here last year the same things were being said about Okung and look at him now. The guy had injuries he was trying to come back from so give him a break. He is extremely talented so why give up on him? We have great depth at the position so if it wasn't for his injury plus Trufant being out as well as Browner the other guys would not be able to display there talents. I call it a blessing in disguise the Giants have a surplus of pass rushers and the Seahawks have a surplus of outstanding corners so i say keep them all until we can't afford them then trade them for draft picks if push comes to shove.

No, not the same comparison. Okung didn't miss whole seasons. He at least was able to come back from his ankles. This guy gets hurt then he's done for the year. He is the most brittle player on the team. I need to see at least 5 games in a row before I'll change my tune from injury prone to merly snake bit.
    Tech Worlds
    * Capt'n Dom *
    * Capt'n Dom *

Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:48 am
  • Thurmond is our Bob Sanders. Cant name a player in the league more fragile than him
    ----
    ensett
    NET Veteran

Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:36 pm
  • he has speed and brings some unique skills that Pete and JS sees, I don't think it is time to drop him. People said the same about Russel Okung and Zach Miller at one point who are highly paid and see how it is working out now. Have patience. this guy will be a beast next season where most of our nickel and dime packages we suffered from this year will be fixed next year.
    seahawks08
    NET Veteran

Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:30 pm
  • If WTIII signs a contract with his current salary, I see no reason why JS won't bring him back. They brought in Ruud last year who is injured even more than Thurmond and that sort of worked out. Worse case scenario, we hopefully get a late round pick for him if a new CB beats him out in camp next year.
    Hawks fan from Vancouver, Canada!

" I am on a constant quest for knowledge" - RW
    CanadianBeastmode
    NET Bench Warmer

Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:47 pm
  • seahawks08 wrote:he has speed and brings some unique skills that Pete and JS sees, I don't think it is time to drop him. People said the same about Russel Okung and Zach Miller at one point who are highly paid and see how it is working out now. Have patience. this guy will be a beast next season where most of our nickel and dime packages we suffered from this year will be fixed next year.

Okung has never played fewer than double digit games, it isnt comparable. Miller has missed 3 games in his career, I dont think anybody ever said anything like this about him. WT3 has missed more games since highschool than he has played, he is to health as Evan Moore is to talent.
    ----
    ensett
    NET Veteran

Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:06 pm
  • ensett wrote:
    seahawks08 wrote:he has speed and brings some unique skills that Pete and JS sees, I don't think it is time to drop him. People said the same about Russel Okung and Zach Miller at one point who are highly paid and see how it is working out now. Have patience. this guy will be a beast next season where most of our nickel and dime packages we suffered from this year will be fixed next year.

Okung has never played fewer than double digit games, it isnt comparable. Miller has missed 3 games in his career, I dont think anybody ever said anything like this about him. WT3 has missed more games since highschool than he has played, he is to health as Evan Moore is to talent.

This is not true but dont let facts get in your way.

In college he started 41 of 52 games in his 4 years. In the pro's he's played 22 out of 48 (after tomorrow).
    JSeahawks
    * NET Moderator *

Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:20 pm
  • I know for a FACT that Thurmond as a child was hurt falling off his bicycle and couldn't complete his paper route.

We just didn't do our due diligence with this guy prior to the draft.
    Tech Worlds
    * Capt'n Dom *
    * Capt'n Dom *

Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:29 pm
  • Thurman was injured almost all of '08 and played thru it. He was lost after the first game in '09 against Cal with a severe knee injury. He is good when he can play , but he has in reality been injured a great deal since then
    Happypuppy
    NET Veteran

Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:12 pm
  • No reason to dump him.
    I'm In!

What attracted you to the Seahawks?
    “It’s a combination of what I believe the coaches are doing here, the atmosphere and what I think we’re going to do here in the future. I think we’re going to win and win a lot and be a championship team.” – Zac Miller, August 4, 2011
    Seafan
    NET Veteran

It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 7:44 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information