Whats your confidence level in Hauschka?

The Essential Online Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. RATING: PG-13

Road game. Good weather. 48 yard game deciding FG.

Boom! Automatic
17%
75% chance he makes it.
57%
50/50
22%
25% chance he makes it.
3%
We're doomed. Season over.
No votes

Total votes : 143

Whats your confidence level in Hauschka?
Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:43 pm
  • I'm usually an eternal optimist, and maybe its just the Duck fan coming out in me since we've suffered some soul crushing missed kicks the last few years, but I have a nagging feeling that he might be our weak link that bites us at some point on our trip to the Superbowl.

Road game. 2 seconds left down by 2 points. 48 yard field goal in good weather conditions. How confident are you?

I'm at 50/50 leaning towards 25%.
    JSeahawks
    * NET Moderator *

• I have had the same weird feeling of doubt with him. I'm still aggravated that he doesn't have the leg to kick it out the back of the endzone on kickoffs.

"The Seahawks showed today that they regarded me highly and I appreciate that, and I will continue to show how much I regard Paul Allen and the Seattle Seahawks with my play." - Richard Sherman
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

• Same as just about any other kicker in the league. Around 80%, since that seems to be where most kickers hover. Yes, Vinatieri, too.

Super Bowl XLVIII Champions
    volsunghawk
    NET Veteran

• Aros wrote:I have had the same weird feeling of doubt with him. I'm still aggravated that he doesn't have the leg to kick it out the back of the endzone on kickoffs.

This is probably where the doubt from us all comes from.
    cacksman
    NET Veteran

• meg, not much upside..used to good kickers.
    Cassius Marsh is my 2014 Adopt a Pro Bowl Rookie
    Atradees
    NET Veteran

• Alot of his kicks seem to have a low trajectory - blocks a possibility?
    GoHawks
    NET Starter

• I have no real idea why, but he has made me nervous since he signed with us. Something about him just scares the crap out of me, especially if the game ends up on the line.
    60 percent of the time..........it works........every time
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran

• no offence, but this sounds like my wife. as soon as I fix something she's not happy with... she finds something else to be unhappy with. well.... I've been married a long time. :34853_doh:
    I don't know why I bother... no one cares what I think.
    zhawk
    NET Starter

• I can never trust a damn kicker.
    AbsolutNET
    * NET X's & O's Guru *

• zhawk, take out the garbage!
    JSeahawks
    * NET Moderator *

• Earlier in the season, when this team was looking like a "leave it late" type of team that was going to be involved in a ton of tight games, I was thinking about Hauschka's future. He's been solid with us during his time with the team but it's a position the front office could potentially look to upgrade.

Fast forward to now and those concerns seem a thing of the past. Hauschka's become a bit of an afterthought during all of the offensive, defensive, and teams dominance. I felt more confident in him last season, I think largely in part because he seemed to have a much stronger leg in 2011.

Things MIGHT (key word here) not always be 58-0 blowouts though. There's gonna come a day where we need Steven to bang one through for the win. Hopefully it has a better ending then the Atlanta game last year. Just imagine for a second, that this team had a young kicker like Zuerlein, Walsh, or Forbath in their back pocket. Obviously, none of those guys will ever see the time of day on the market. However, we've seen PC/JS nail draft picks at nearly every other position. I'd love to pick their brain to see what they both think on what makes a great kicker and how important they feel the kicker is to the team. I guess we'll see if they land the "Kicker of the Future" in the near future.

Can you imagine some of the "kicker of the future" talk we'd see on .Net? You thought all the QB and uniforms threads were bad?!
    Talkin Seahawks All Day, All Night @ my blog Seafense! http://seafense.blogspot.com/
    NYCoug
    NET Veteran

• What's his touchback %?

I'm guessing it's not that bad... maybe 80 percentile?

Who has the stats?
    EastCoastHawksFan posted... "Trading for Harvin is by far the worst move John S has ever made." (March 18, 2014)

your World Champion Seattle Seahawks.. how sweet is that!!
    onanygivensunday
    NET Veteran

• His stats are way more impressive than I thought. Shows what happens when you trust in your own confirmation bias.

22/25 on field goals, good for 88%, with a long of 52.

82 Kickoffs
    66.5 AVG
    34 Touchbacks
    Returners are averaging 23 YDS per kickoff.

http://www.nfl.com/player/stevenhauschka/2507374/profile

So 41% of his kickoffs have been for touchbacks. Gonna check out how that stacks up to the rest of the league.

Random kicker note. Pretty crazy to see that Rian Lindell has transformed into one of the best kickers in the game. Not just from distance anymore either. He's been very reliable. The same can be said for Hausch.
    Talkin Seahawks All Day, All Night @ my blog Seafense! http://seafense.blogspot.com/
    NYCoug
    NET Veteran

• Hauschka has been pretty automatic. Guy has a leg too, pretty convinced he's coached to not crush the ball through the EZ on kickoffs. I have faith in the guy, not like he has shown Crosby/Cundiff tendencies yet.
    February 2, 2014... the day the dream was finally realized
    Hasselbeck
    * NET Sage *

• I have this same uneasy feeling. Probably, our feelings were all magnified a little bit when Pete chose not to kick from around 50 in Miami.
    SEAHAWKS.NET. We All We Got, We All We Need
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
    *Scott of Smacksville*

• That last option looks like it was tailor-made for me, but I went with 75%.
    GO HAWKS!!!

Visit my Seahawks blog at 17power.blogspot.com!

Follow me on Twitter at @17power
    MontanaHawk05
    * 17Power Blogger *

• Depends on the distance.

Your 48-yard example? I'm nervous.

Anything less than 44-yards, he's pretty dependable.
    @SeahawkGreg

"I will be thrilled with 10 wins.... If we win 14 games, I will tattoo my nuts green and blue!" --13thMan
    FlyingGreg
    * Master Chief *
    * Master Chief *

• Hauschka is awesome. I'm very confident in him.
    Maelstrom787
    NET Veteran

• Inside of 45 I'm pretty much 100% confident in him, outside of that my confidence drops exponentially with each yard farther away....
    Navyhawkfan187
    NET Veteran

• Confidence is fine, the dude is perfect inside 50 yards, he hasn't really been tested to take a big kick here (Atlanta game withstanding), let's keep it that way.
    WestcoastSteve
    NET Veteran

• Aros wrote:I have had the same weird feeling of doubt with him. I'm still aggravated that he doesn't have the leg to kick it out the back of the endzone on kickoffs.

are you sure?
    i mean, the best place to put the ball is pretty much in the endzone if your kickoff coverage is good (and ours is great), we stop returns before they reach the 20 more often than they pass it I'd say
    themunn
    NET Veteran

• League-wide, kickers are about 60-70% from 48 yards. Hauschka's accuracy on medium-range FGs seems about average or maybe slightly better to me, so of the poll options I'd say 75%.

This year, Hauschka is 3-3 from 40-49 yards with makes of 47, 44, and 40 yards. He's 1-3 from 50+ with a made 52 yarder, a missed 51 yarder, a blocked 50 yarder, and a missed 61 yard attempt at the end of a half.
    Last year, he was 7-8 from 40-49 yards with makes of 43, 47, 45, 49, 42, 48, and 43, and the miss was a blocked 41 yard attempt. He was 2-4 from 50+ last year with makes of 52 and 51, a miss from 51, and a miss from 61 at the end of a game.

On a related note, something coaches always seem to do that really bugs me is settling for a medium-long FG attempt at the end of a game. If we have the ball at the 30 with 30 seconds left, I would hope Pete continues attacking to try and set up an easier attempt. So many coaches run a play to the center of the field, let the clock tick down to :03, call a time out, and send out the kicker hoping for the best. Moving up from the 30 to the 20 would increase the likelihood of a successful FG by about 15%.
    jewhawk
    NET Veteran

• For a guy that is 6'4" 210 pounds he doesn't seem to have the leg to go with his size.
    "God Bless the Seattle Seahawks" Cortez Kennedy
    ivotuk
    * NET Nobody *

• Really bizarre that a kicker thread made it to a 2nd page, and it's not about Josh Brown being a dickhead.

Super Bowl XLVIII Champions
    volsunghawk
    NET Veteran

• Maybe the Rams' kicker will want to go "play for a winning team."
    Jase
    NET Starter

• Hauschka is solid. I am above 75% sure he would make it.
    HawkFan72
    NET Pro Bowler

• Haushka is the weak link,

Some of the early losses were kinda sneakily a result of pete not really believing in his kicker IMHO. There were a couple of plays early in the season where anyone would nomrally have kicked the field goal but we either decided to punt it or go for it. I'd go as far as to say i don't feel comfortable with haushka on any kick over 35 yards even in perfect weather conditions.
    I was really surprised when we went this route since steven seems to be a clear step down from Mare. Olindo was a strong leg with the odd tendency to shank a chip shot every now and then. Josh brown was as close to a superstar kicker as i ever thought humanly possible until the rise of legatron. He was money from 40+ had great direction on the ball and could even hit if it came down to it. I got this creepy feeling just like you that if we blow the playoffs it would be his fault.
    We are the 2014 Superbowl champions and it can never, ever be taken away.
    Greatest defense in NFL history.
    Seeker
    NET Veteran

• i've been saying since the pre season since he missed all those long kicks, i have no faith in him over 45 yrds,, and 50/50 40 to 45... i think we need to address this in the off season,... just my opinion.
    World Champs - Sounds good don't it
    hawker84
    NET Veteran

• Better 'n Ray Finkle.
    World Champion Seattle Seahawks football. It's an addiction, and there is no cure.
    Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *

• What kind of kicker has his extra points blocked. c'mon Haushka, get with the program.

Idle vaporings of a mind diseased
    VaporHawk
    NET Veteran

• Before you write off Haushka take a look at his play after the kick the last few games. I have found myself commenting a few times lately to friends and family about how fearless he is on kick returns. He is always right in the shlt. That by itself is huge, throw in his actual stats and he looks even more convincing. I would love to have a 60+ yard weapon just like everyone else but I think you'll find that Haushka (and Ryan) both are pivotal to the Hawks special teams effectiveness of late. A kicker with great hang time and pit bull instincts on the return can be a huge asset.
    #NEXTMANUP
    Evil_Shenanigans
    NET Veteran

• 25% he makes it. I know he's like some huge canadian or something, but I dont trust him past 39 yards eh.

I've always felt we should keep someone like Olindo Mare.

Honestly why should you look for a kicker? to save 3 million? really?

:141847_bnono:
    Beeker
    NET Rookie

• Mare is last in the NFC right now. Josh Brown is next to last in the AFC. Count your blessings. :thirishdrinkers:
    #NEXTMANUP
    Evil_Shenanigans
    NET Veteran

• Hauschka's been good this year, but I think your feeling of dread comes from the fact that Seattle is 0-3 this year in games where Hauschka missed a FG. He's only missed 3 all year.
    kearly
    * Mr Random Thought *

• GoHawks wrote:Alot of his kicks seem to have a low trajectory - blocks a possibility?

This is what bothers me and why I have zero faith in him. Every kick, even extra points, are inches away from being blocked. Then you see a guy like the Rams kicker who boots it so high over the line that there's no chance of it getting blocked.
    hedgehawk
    NET Veteran

• Boom! Automatic.
    SeahawkGeoff
    NET Practice Squad

• He's a kicker, I'm always nervous! Doesn't matter who we have back there either... Unless it was Zurlein....
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

• Evil_Shenanigans wrote:Before you write off Haushka take a look at his play after the kick the last few games. I have found myself commenting a few times lately to friends and family about how fearless he is on kick returns. He is always right in the shlt. That by itself is huge, throw in his actual stats and he looks even more convincing. I would love to have a 60+ yard weapon just like everyone else but I think you'll find that Haushka (and Ryan) both are pivotal to the Hawks special teams effectiveness of late. A kicker with great hang time and pit bull instincts on the return can be a huge asset.

i would settle for a kicker who can hit a 48 yarders... he's not that guy .. tackling on ST is great, but we need a clutch kicker who can hit from 45 to 55 yards out on a consistent basis
    World Champs - Sounds good don't it
    hawker84
    NET Veteran

• The touchback % doesn't really bother me. I wouldn't be surprised
    if he gets told not to kick it out the back of the endzone so as to
    increase the likelihood of a turnover on the return.
    el capitan
    NET Starter

• "Always compete" didn't seem to apply to kickers last summer. The kicker from Purdue was brought in occasionally to rest legs.
    AVL
    NET Starter

• el capitan wrote:The touchback % doesn't really bother me. I wouldn't be surprised
    if he gets told not to kick it out the back of the endzone so as to
    increase the likelihood of a turnover on the return.

Some of the kicks have been suspiciously short, making me think you may be right. I'm usually glad when I see that there will be a return, for that possibility of a turnover.
    minormillikin
    NET Veteran

• Looks like the best kicker available in the draft? Maybe?

Dustin Hopkins, K, Florida St. - could be a draft possibility? (5 for 5 over 50 yards., 85.7% conversion rate on FG's.) Strong leg on this guy.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/sta ... dGoalsMade
    <--><--><--><--><--><--><--><--><--> GO SEAHAWKS <--><--><--><--><--><--><--><--><-->
    CamanoIslandJQ
    NET Veteran

• In the given example, 48-yarder outdoors, I'd be nervous with pretty much any kicker in the league, even Gus the Mule down in St. Louis. (Of course if it was a kick AGAINST the Hawks, I'd be certain they'd make it! Sucks being a fan sometimes...) The only two kickers that I can remember that wouldn't make TOO nervous in this situation would be Brown and Norm Johnson.

<-- Yeah, that guy would have made me nervous too. Real nervous.
    "I have a Super Bowl ring, and I would gladly show that to him. And if he doesn’t have time to come see it, tell him he can Google it." -- Doug Baldwin
    VivaEfrenHerrera
    NET Veteran

• You know, since we are 4/4 in the red zone against the #1 (well now #2) defence in the league, we don't really need to worry about. All we need him to do from here on out is to kick extra points.
    Shock2k
    NET Veteran

It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:00 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information