Where Has The Toughness Come From This Year?

RiggoReincarnated

Reaction score
Hey guys,

This is RiggoForever from the 05 and 07 seasons (much to my chagrin that they didn't end differently for us, but oh well).

Anyway, you look at Pete Carroll's face, and he looks soft. Not like a man who can inspire ferocity at the NFL level. How have the Seahawks gone from a team that looked lost on the final drive in the opener against Arizona, to a team that can put a KILL ORDER on the San Francisco 49ers and execute it to near perfection? Where has the mental toughness grown from this year - who have been the team leaders? I figured Carroll was soon to go back to the college ranks after the first Arizona game - but now he looks like a genius.

Also, the intensity and loudness at Qwest seemed entirely different for the 49ers game then when you played the Redskins there last season.

Most importantly, how did you hold Romo and Dallas to 7 pts in your game against them? Lately they've been looking like world-beaters with their comeback tendencies in the 4th quarter.

Axx

Reaction score
i think alot of it has to do with the fact that our team is made out of rejects who want to prove that they can play, Aside from Earl Thomas and Russell Okung, pretty much all of our players are trying to prove that they feel like they deserve to be in the NFL.

Ill name a few,
Richard Sherman always brings up the fact that he was drafted in the 4th/5th round and it motivates him.
Mike Rob was cut from the whiners
Brandon Browner left the NFL to go to the CFL where its less competitive.
Bruce Irvin was suppose to be a wasted first pick.
Russell Wilson is told by everyone that hes to short to play in the NFL

Shock2k

Reaction score
Take a bunch of highly talented overlooked/underated guys, from Lynch to Sherman, hand them the opportunity to stick to the people who doubted --> let loose the hoard.

A-Dog

Reaction score
Pete may appear soft but there's nothing soft about the approach he tries to instill in his players. From day one, competition has been his 1-word mantra. The tough, hungry, relentless players tend to rise to the fore in that type of environment. Not only that but he's got hard-nosed coaches like Ken Norton Jr. and Tom Cable helping him to motivate his players. As far as leaders, you've got players like Red Bryant and Kam Chancellor on defense who are tough as nails. On offense, the leaders (Wilson, Unger) aren't necessarily your typical tough guys but they are unflappable, and across the board the players are mentally strong.

I think what has really changed this year has been the cohesiveness. There really is a pack mentality on defense, with everyone on the unit being on the same page and accountable. On offense it has taken a little bit longer but Wilson has really galvanized the group and brought everyone's level of preparation and belief to a higher level.

CurryStopstheRuns

Reaction score
RiggoReincarnated":nb506v0c said:
Hey guys,

This is RiggoForever from the 05 and 07 seasons (much to my chagrin that they didn't end differently for us, but oh well).

Anyway, you look at Pete Carroll's face, and he looks soft. Not like a man who can inspire ferocity at the NFL level. How have the Seahawks gone from a team that looked lost on the final drive in the opener against Arizona, to a team that can put a KILL ORDER on the San Francisco 49ers and execute it to near perfection? Where has the mental toughness grown from this year - who have been the team leaders? I figured Carroll was soon to go back to the college ranks after the first Arizona game - but now he looks like a genius.

Also, the intensity and loudness at Qwest seemed entirely different for the 49ers game then when you played the Redskins there last season.

Most importantly, how did you hold Romo and Dallas to 7 pts in your game against them? Lately they've been looking like world-beaters with their comeback tendencies in the 4th quarter.

I think it was from Pete and I think that it came after the team adopted the "stomp on their throat" mentality after another come from behind loss to an inferior team in Miami. The Seahawks shit the bed against Detroit and Miami or we would be looking at the #1 seed going into the last week with the #2 locked up. After the Miami game the team developed a no mercy attitude. At least, that is what I have noticed.

mikeak

Reaction score
When they see RW they look at a midget that has overcome so many obstacles in his life. I mean if he was born 100 years earlier he would probably have been thrown out with the garbage being so tiny. They then realize they also need to fight and fight hard for 60 minutes / game!

No?

Ok - adderall?

No?

I will go with the compete thing then! Seahawks saw PC and said - Come Pete and PC thought that is right COMPETE!

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Axx":20ojkws2 said:
i think alot of it has to do with the fact that our team is made out of rejects who want to prove that they can play

Bingo.

Schneider and Carroll have done a brilliant job of infusing this team with players they know will go their entire careers with chips on their shoulders.

The talent gap in the NFL is so small, the players and teams that excel are the ones that just flat out play and hit harder than the other team...........so how do you make sure your players play harder than the other team? You sign and draft players like Sherman, Wilson, Giacomini, Sweezy, Lynch, Baldwin, KJ, Kam, Tate. Players that have been told their whole lives that they're not tall enough, not smart enough, not fast enough, not good enough.

I also take liberty when people say Pete is soft. He's not soft, he's fair. "Always compete" is real..........you don't do your job, you're gone no matter how much you make or awesome you think you are. This creates a level of competitiveness that I don't think a lot of other teams have.

OP
OP
R

RiggoReincarnated

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":cjhopsbj said:
Axx":cjhopsbj said:
i think alot of it has to do with the fact that our team is made out of rejects who want to prove that they can play

Bingo.

Schneider and Carroll have done a brilliant job of infusing this team with players they know will go their entire careers with chips on their shoulders.

The talent gap in the NFL is so small, the players and teams that excel are the ones that just flat out play and hit harder than the other team...........so how do you make sure your players play harder than the other team? You sign and draft players like Sherman, Wilson, Giacomini, Sweezy, Lynch, Baldwin, KJ, Kam, Tate. Players that have been told their whole lives that they're not tall enough, not smart enough, not fast enough, not good enough.

I also take liberty when people say Pete is soft. He's not soft, he's fair. "Always compete" is real..........you don't do your job, you're gone no matter how much you make or awesome you think you are. This creates a level of competitiveness that I don't think a lot of other teams have.

Didn't mean any offense. As an outsider, he struck me as a guy who had (until this year), had only moderate success in the NFL, but HUGE success in college football. I questioned his ability to motivate men versus boys.

The 49ers game was a real eye-opener to watch.

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
Funny thing is, Pete Carroll has never really had a chance to blow up a team and do it completely his way until now. In both tenures - with the Jets and Patriots - he had about half the liberty to chose his players and scheme himself. Here, he has that ability, and we're seeing how it works. "Rah-rah" to some seems to be a pretty effective way to get his players all riled up and ready to rip victory from the other teams' hands.

The Radish

Reaction score
Hey Riggo,,,,good to see ya again.

What no one in Washington will speak to you again? hahahahaha

I don't know where/how Pete did it but we had visions of it last season and its just seemed to snowball. I do think it will do them well on the road as they are thinking hit hard rather than how tired they are from the long flight.

And not a bad QB you folks have this year either. One thing that really strikes me about RGIII and Wilson, they just seem to be humble real people that are merely trying to do their jobs at a high level and can't quite figure out what all the fuss is about.

:les:

hawks4thewin

Reaction score
ugg... my post disappeared.

Youth is the key to physical toughness..
lnspired by experienced tough coaches..
Tom cable, and ken Norton,

we have a great balance of Youth, and tough experience..
RAH RAH is a life style NOT a play style...
suck it up haters