CBS Coaches Poll - Carroll winning by a longshot

Rat

Reaction score
Arians probably has the inside track.

Usually coach of the year goes to the coach of the team that surpassed expectations the most. For me, that's the Colts and Vikings, although Leslie Frazier isn't on that poll. Shanahan deserves a lot of love as well.

TDOTSEAHAWK

Reaction score
I think people underestimate the Russell Wilson move - although it seems obvious now - I would say the Hawks "surpassed expectations"

v1rotv2

Reaction score
Rat":2hhu7dbn said:

Usually coach of the year goes to the coach of the team that surpassed expectations the most. For me, that's the Colts and Vikings, although Leslie Frazier isn't on that poll. Shanahan deserves a lot of love as well.

So you don't think getting a 5'11" QB in the third round and starting him making it to the playoffs does not surpass expectations?

hawksfan515

Reaction score
v1rotv2":2ldj8p80 said:
Rat":2ldj8p80 said:

So you don't think getting a 5'11" QB in the third round and starting him making it to the playoffs does not surpass expectations?

Having the #1 overall pick one year and going to the playoffs the next surpasses quite a lot of expectations.

Both are worthy candidates.

mikeak

Reaction score
Pagano should get it. To get cancer to build team chemistry was a really smart move..... :D

before I get slammed for this joke - yes I have people in my family that have suffered from cancer and they would still laugh at this joke

JKent82

Reaction score
hawksfan515":4u1qbvuo said:
v1rotv2":4u1qbvuo said:
Rat":4u1qbvuo said:

Having the #1 overall pick one year and going to the playoffs the next surpasses quite a lot of expectations.

Both are worthy candidates.

Though they did tank/have a lot of injuries. Especially when you get the first pick with a first place schedule last year, and an absolute cupcake schedule this year.

Not that it's not still somewhat impressive.

Sac

Reaction score
I think something that actually helps the Hawks this time is that the national perspective is that the until this year, the 'Hawks sucked.

They didn't know and didn't care that last years 7-9 team was better than the year before 7-9. We were nothing in the nations eyes. And at just the right time we're destroying people and have a good record.

Pete very well could win coach of the year.

rastahawk

Reaction score
I don't buy Indy was a bad team argument. We weren't supposed to be this good as prophesized by the national media either. Even our fans had doubts (including myself). When I looked at this schedule I was hoping we get at least 8 wins with an proven rookie qb. Indy drafted the next coming of Chuck Norris. So they drafted a guy who everybody thought was good and he was good. We got a no name third rounder. We have not only catapulted into the limelight, we've separated ourselves as a real contender who all the pundits now refer to as the team no one wants to play. IMHO Indy hasn't separated themselves in their conference. On top of that we are the better team statistically meaning yeah we won games but the numbers also back it up. Pete should get the nod.

sc85sis

Reaction score
It depends how far each team goes into the postseason. If we manage to get to the Super Bowl, especially if we manage to win it, I think Pete would likely be chosen as coach of the year.

Time will tell.

Shock2k

Reaction score
rastahawk":1v0l55i4 said:
We weren't supposed to be this good as prophesized by the national media either.

Week 2 NFL Power Rankings had us 22. 22! I think we all had low expectations at that point. I remember listening to sports radio after week 4 and them saying, "Pete keeps saying trust me, but how far is that supposed to go?"

Bad Shock2K for doubting Dumbledore, I mean Carroll!

OP
OP
Jazzhawk

Jazzhawk

Reaction score
Pete has increased his lead with 42,745 votes cast, he's at 42%.

HawkinNY

Reaction score
mikeak":2ub3oyqi said:
Pagano should get it. To get cancer to build team chemistry was a really smart move..... :D

before I get slammed for this joke - yes I have people in my family that have suffered from cancer and they would still laugh at this joke

Is it bad that I laughed really hard at that joke?

Hawks46

Reaction score
Both are deserving, but Arians will probably get it.

Surpassing expectations is one thing. Arians wasn't even supposed to be the HC. He went into the season preparing as the OC, then had to take the reigns. That is really something right there.

Hawkfeathers

Reaction score
Hawks46":2wjm3ath said:
Both are deserving, but Arians will probably get it.

Surpassing expectations is one thing. Arians wasn't even supposed to be the HC. He went into the season preparing as the OC, then had to take the reigns. That is really something right there.

Arians ultimate reward will be a new head coaching gig for 2013. Either that, or Colts owner Irsay will have to make him the highest paid OC in the league. Pagano's permanent return to coaching is not assured.