Would Sherman be a Elite receiver?

The Twelvethman

Reaction score
After reading one of the posts here earlier in the week about how Sherman only moved to defence to further himself from Harbaugh at Stanford, would he be a Top 5 Receiver had he stayed the course? Watching how he moves when covering a receiver and his obvious ball catching skills as a defender seems to me (a layman in football) he'd be pretty decent. Would do a poll but don't know if its worthy.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
Top 5? Probably not. But he'd definitely be starting NFL caliber

chris98251

Reaction score
Typicallly good CB's are receivers with less then good hands and convert at some point, you still need fluid hips, be able to make cuts and change direction. Since he chose to go defense and his ability to read what routes are being run as well as read a QB so well I would think he would be a good possession guy at least. The seperation and getting off the line is the aspect we don't see well when he plays CB. Although from what we have heard and seen he was the number one guy at Stanford and seeing Baldwin play he probably was very good.

Blitzer88

Reaction score
Don't know, don't care.....well not really, that thought has crossed my mind actually and I think he would be at least a decent #2. Nevertheless just happy as hell that he is our elite CB! :th2thumbs:

drdiags

Reaction score
I doubt it. Pete wanted to recruit him as a DB and Jim H had no qualms demoting him before his move to the defensive side of the ball. I guess he could be like a Sydney Rice type but I don't see him as an Andre Johnson/Megatron type WR. AJ Green/Julio Jones, I don't think so.

Maybe an Anquan Boldin type. Pulling stuff out of my rear for 57 years and still going strong!

Escamillo

Reaction score
drdiags":34d0frv3 said:
I doubt it. Pete wanted to recruit him as a DB and Jim H had no qualms demoting him before his move to the defensive side of the ball. I guess he could be like a Sydney Rice type but I don't see him as an Andre Johnson/Megatron type WR. AJ Green/Julio Jones, I don't think so.

Maybe an Anquan Boldin type. Pulling stuff out of my rear for 57 years and still going strong!

Softy interviewed David Shaw a few months ago and Shaw said he wanted to keep Sherman at WR because he was their leading receiver and averaging 17 yards per catch. It was an interview where Softy and Shaw were talking of the time when Shaw was Stanford's receiver coach and had Sherman, Baldwin, and Evan Moore (who was also a Seahawk at the time of the interview) all in the receiver meetings at the same time.

Sherman, as a freshman, pretty much single-handeldly beat UW in 2006 to give Stanford their lone win, and the next year he was on the receiving end of 4th and 20 in Stanford's winning drive at USC as a 41 point underdog. He was a good WR. Supposedly, Sherman decided to use an injury redshirt to have surgery in his 3rd year, against Harbaugh's wishes. So Sherman got in Harbaugh's doghouse and that's why Harbaugh demoted him below Owusu and Baldwin on the WR depth chart.

That said, I don't know that Sherman would've been an "elite" WR in the NFL, and certainly not the best WR in the NFL, whereas he may be the best CB in the NFL (at least in the top three).

kearly

Reaction score
IMO, an elite CB is worth more than an elite WR, mainly because elite CBs are much rarer. Even if Sherman was the best WR on our team, I'd keep him at CB.

redhawk253

Reaction score
This is probably one of the best threads ive seen on here. Raises an excelent question. I could imagine sherman being a really good receiver. How good? Who knows but he does have a build kinda like sydnee's.. Has the height.. Strength.. Burst.. And top end that an elite receiver needs. Damn you now i wanna see him play both sides!

Navyhawkfan187

Reaction score
If we play SF again in the playoffs I wouldn't mind seeing Sherm lined up for a play or 10 out at SE and maybe catch a TD pass just to stick it in Harbaugh's craw.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Navyhawkfan187":36tsvk07 said:
If we play SF again in the playoffs I wouldn't mind seeing Sherm lined up for a play or 10 out at SE and maybe catch a TD pass just to stick it in Harbaugh's craw.

That would totally rock!! At a minimum, a Wail Mary catch for a TD just before halftime.

TJH

Reaction score
I don't think he would get the required separation.

OP
OP
T

The Twelvethman

Reaction score
Cheers for the positive replies, of course I was only wondering if he had the same potential on the other side of the ball & wouldn't seriously want him as anything other than the top CB actually is.

WestcoastSteve

Reaction score
He was a pretty average receiver in college, I think CB is great for him because it plays into his personality. He had some character issues in college I remember him getting ejected from a game against UW in 2007, remember how Sidney would kind of act out when he didn't get the ball? Something like that.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
I have seen 3 or 4 picks from the guy where he ran the route better than the receiver. Like Sunday, he ran that route better than Moss.

hell yes he would be a good receiver.

Which bodes well for the Seahawks as Harbaugh continues to draft receivers.