Hypothetical: Pete Retires. Who replaces him?

Who would you want to replace Pete if he were to retire?

• Tom Cable

Votes: 78 74.3%
  • Gus Bradley

Votes: 18 17.1%
  • Darrell Bevell

Votes: 9 8.6%

• Total voters

SeaTown81

Reaction score
Talk in another thread about potentially losing Bradley. All year long I'd wondered this question as to him vs Cable as to who you'd want to take over for Pete when he retires. But now I'm reading Bevell's name talked about for the Eagles, crazy enough. So I guess I'll include him in the options. Who you want? And keep in mind there's a decent chance you lose the other guy in the process.

NYCoug

Reaction score
Me. I'm young, energetic, a great people person, and love football and especially football players. I'm a shoe in...

In all seriousness, gotta go with the Cable Guy. What a story that would be, huh? From absolute joke of a coach for a joke of a team when he was with Idaho only to, over a decade later, ascend to the top of the coaching ranks with my favorite team! I love the attitude that Cable instills. It's totally transformed the identity of this team and I think it was one of Carroll's more genius hires.

Question is, can we keep here long enough?

bestfightstory

Reaction score
Gus Bradley has energy to spare. Tom Cable has sleep apnea.

Nuff said.

NYCoug

Reaction score
bestfightstory":2vpbswol said:

Nuff said.

I can see the newspaper headlines now. A big picture of Cable dozing on the sidelines with "Asleep at the Wheel" up top. Seahawks Coach trades W for Z's in latest debacle.

bestfightstory

Reaction score
NYCoug":1g6ep4qt said:
bestfightstory":1g6ep4qt said:

Nuff said.

I can see the newspaper headlines now. A big picture of Cable dozing on the sidelines with "Asleep at the Wheel" up top. Seahawks Coach trades W for Z's in latest debacle.

!!!!!!!!!!! :snack: !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Outstanding.

OP
OP
SeaTown81

SeaTown81

Reaction score
Bit surprised at the results. I myself went with Bradley. To me, he fits this team's identity a lot more than Cable. He's firely, passionate, young, and amped up. Cable's nastiness works perfectly for the offensive line. I'm not so sure it would be as effective on the team as a whole. I can see the team rally around a guy like Gus a lot more than Cable. Cable's personality could potentially be a bit divisive when it comes to guys who don't play on his side of the ball. Don't get me wrong. I absolutely love Cable as an o-line coach, and maybe even an OC. But I'd go with Gus.

NYCoug

Reaction score
bestfightstory":23kszj13 said:
NYCoug":23kszj13 said:
bestfightstory":23kszj13 said:

Nuff said.

Outstanding.

Take a bow, you provided me with the ammo. That's some Legion of Doom level tag team work right there.

bestfightstory

Reaction score
NYCoug":38klre1u said:
bestfightstory":38klre1u said:
NYCoug":38klre1u said:

Outstanding.

Take a bow, you provided me with the ammo. That's some Legion of Doom level tag team work right there.

Bravo, Kid. I gotta say; you got a bright future as a quality lurcher. Just don't let Dom/Techworlds steal all of your material.

CPHawk

Reaction score
Judging by Allen going all in by going after Holmgren and Pete, I doubt he just hands the reigns over to a assistant. I;m sure he will look for the best possible replacement, especially after the Mora debacle.

OP
OP
SeaTown81

SeaTown81

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":2xwhmixq said:
I didnt vote Gus because I think Gus very well may be Nick Holt.

Why? Because the defense wasn't awesome the one year he was here with Mora?

I get that a good portion of the defense's success needs to be attributed to Carroll. Obviously. But Bradley isn't some schlep who isn't contributing to it at all, and just riding along Pete's coat tails. A lot of people in the league like him, and liked him prior to him coaching under PC. Bradley deserves some credit. He's a young coach growing into the league. All young coaches develop their identity and learn from the coaches they coach under. It shouldn't always be taken as a negative.

On top of that, I don't think the question of "Is it Carroll or Bradley" matters as much to us as it would an outside team bringing Gus in as their HC. For another team that matters much more, as they are asking him to come in and built a team for them. Here, you are only asking him to continue what you already have. And I don't see why he wouldn't be able to do that. Especially after learning from Pete for a few years. Cable, on the other hand, I don't see the same room for continuity. On the offensive line, sure. With the rest of the offense, maybe. But unless he's able to keep the same coaches on defense for a considerable amount of time, I don't see it. You likely have an entirely new set of defensive coaches, new scheme, etc in a couple years.

To me, Gus Bradley has the potential to be a disciple of Carroll. Tom Cable already has his own personal identity. It works like gangbusters for the o-line. But when applied to an entire team it is actually very different from Pete Carroll's. I'm not sure some realize that. I'm not saying it's a bad thing. Just very different from what Pete has built and is winning with. And that's why I'd go with Gus. To me, he represents the best chance at continuity.

usChawks

Reaction score
I went with Gus Bradley, because on a philosophical level, I think defensive-minded coaches make better head coaches

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
SeaTown81":i2mtcqku said:
Tech Worlds":i2mtcqku said:
I didnt vote Gus because I think Gus very well may be Nick Holt.

Why? Because the defense wasn't awesome the one year he was here with Mora?

I get that a good portion of the defense's success needs to be attributed to Carroll. Obviously. But Bradley isn't some schlep who isn't contributing to it at all, and just riding along Pete's coat tails. A lot of people in the league like him, and liked him prior to him coaching under PC. Bradley deserves some credit. He's a young coach growing into the league. All young coaches develop their identity and learn from the coaches they coach under. It shouldn't always be taken as a negative.

On top of that, I don't think the question of "Is it Carroll or Bradley" matters as much to us as it would an outside team bringing Gus in as their HC. For another team that matters much more, as they are asking him to come in and built a team for them. Here, you are only asking him to continue what you already have. And I don't see why he wouldn't be able to do that. Especially after learning from Pete for a few years. Cable, on the other hand, I don't see the same room for continuity. On the offensive line, sure. With the rest of the offense, maybe. But unless he's able to keep the same coaches on defense for a considerable amount of time, I don't see it. You likely have an entirely new set of defensive coaches, new scheme, etc in a couple years.

To me, Gus Bradley has the potential to be a disciple of Carroll. Tom Cable already has his own personal identity. It works like gangbusters for the o-line. But when applied to an entire team it is actually very different from Pete Carroll's. I'm not sure some realize that. I'm not saying it's a bad thing. Just very different from what Pete has built and is winning with. And that's why I'd go with Gus. To me, he represents the best chance at continuity.

You may be correct. Who knows. We thought that about Holt too when we brought him in.

I like Cable because he did ok in Oakland and it was stupid of them to fire him.

drdiags

Reaction score
I vote Cable because whomever replaces Pete needs to keep the nasty on the offensive side of the ball. Our defense is good but without Pete's guidance, it probably will drift back toward common accepted sizes for DBs and DEs. I am not sure Bradley would be able to hold the current identity of the makeup of the team.

Then again, who would be the OC to implement Cable's offense? Tough call and not looking forward to having to figure this out.

NYCoug

Reaction score
drdiags":2l87r92c said:
Then again, who would be the OC to implement Cable's offense? Tough call and not looking forward to having to figure this out.

Doc, ain't it technically Cable/Bevell's offense already, with Bevell calling the plays based off of Cable's influence? Or did they ditch that this season and hand the reigns to Bevell entirely?

Was the Cable coaching up the running game and Bevell focusing on the passing game legit? Haven't heard much mention of it so far this season.