Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ    Contact Us  Your donations are greatly appreciated! Donate  Chat Room

Board index » SEAHAWKS.NET - THE VOICE OF THE 12TH MAN » [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 154 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: The future of Matt Flynn
 Post Posted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:20 pm 
* 17Power Blogger *
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 8:46 am
Posts: 11209
People here WANT Flynn to be good. They have vested interest in that being so. At the start of the year, it was because it gave us hope at QB (before we drafted Wilson or realized how awesome he was gonna be). Now it's because the better they can project Flynn, the better of a draft pick we'll get.

Imagine for a moment that Seattle not only has their QBOTF, but has somehow miraculously managed to obtain the entire third round of the draft. Imagine that for a moment. Do you really care what Flynn gets us anymore? Probably not.

_________________
GO HAWKS!!!

Visit my Seahawks blog at 17power.blogspot.com!

Follow me on Twitter at @17power


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The future of Matt Flynn
 Post Posted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:19 pm 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:52 pm
Posts: 9195
Location: Renton Wa.
Quote:
Well, exactly. I've seen tape. From LSU, Green Bay and Seattle. Enough now to know what he is physically. Enough to appreciate why there wasn't much of a market last year.

You suggested Flynn's financial package is attractive, but not really. It's still $7-8m. That's a lot for a career backup. And people need to get over this being a crappy draft for QB's. There's still three viable first round options. Three options that are still more attractive than a near 30-year-old backup. It's wishful thinking that any 'desperate' (or not) GM is going to turn to Matt Flynn. The best we can hope hope for is to off-load his contract for minimal return. I still maintain what is more likely - he will be cut. He'll go somewhere else for an 'opportunity'. And probably not win the job there either.


No offense but were you not the person that stated nobody wins if they don't take a QB in the first 10 picks in todays pass happy NFL this last season?

Before e get into a pissing contest, Flynn when able has shown he can get the job done, both at LSU and at Green Bay. Just becasue a guy can't run a 4.5 40 or have a Newton like arm doesn't mark him as a failure.

Wilson has shown having a brain can take you much farther then physical attributes, Unitas, Tarkenton, Montana, Flutie, Brees, Jurgenson, Stabler, all had limitations in size, throwing motion, arm strength etc, but all were wiley and smart and competitors.

I love seeing guys that don't fit the cookie cutter have to be this way or will bust prove everyone wrong because the measurable of intelligence, heart, and competitiveness can't be put on a chart and has shown it's face time and time again to be the difference maker at all levels of sports.

Flynn has proven he is a quick thinker and works hard by reputation, when asked has stepped up when ever asked. I believe his injury derailed him this pre season and Wilson just took it and ran, not Flynns fault that we happen to draft an enigma.

_________________
Image

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
Used to be an Alumni till they pulled a USC on me...
.Net official Clueless, Dumbass, Douche, Simpleton, CensoredTard , Idiot, member of the 38 club.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The future of Matt Flynn
 Post Posted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:28 pm 
* 17Power Blogger *
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 8:46 am
Posts: 11209
chris98251 wrote:
Wilson has shown having a brain can take you much farther then physical attributes, Unitas, Tarkenton, Montana, Flutie, Brees, Jurgenson, Stabler, all had limitations in size, throwing motion, arm strength etc, but all were wiley and smart and competitors.


Wilson is succeeding because of a key physical attribute along with his brain. He is the complete package minus six inches of height.

_________________
GO HAWKS!!!

Visit my Seahawks blog at 17power.blogspot.com!

Follow me on Twitter at @17power


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The future of Matt Flynn
 Post Posted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 3:02 pm 
* NET Alumni *
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:49 pm
Posts: 2980
I don't see the team cutting Matt Flynn outright because of his contract numbers in 2013. The cap saving in 2013 would be $3.25 million. The cost of any replacement would come out of that $3.25. The net savings would not be enough to warrant the risk of gambling on an unknown for 2013.

I think they keep Flynn and look at prospects in the off season. Whoever they settle on will benefit from a year of orientation.

The Seahawks, like most staffs, have a hit and miss history with quarterbacks.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The future of Matt Flynn
 Post Posted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 3:36 pm 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:20 pm
Posts: 4667
Location: The 5-0
Like many of you, I'm watching the projected #1 pick in the 13 draft, Geno Smith, look rather ordinary, if not lost, against football power house Syacuse. I said it earlier in this thread but continue to believe that this drafts best (Smith, Barkley, Wilson) are no better than last year's mid rd QB picks.

This isn't Smith's first less than exceptional game and despite the age difference, Flynn's experience would probably have me taking him over this year's projected #1 (overall). I'm not saying Flynn is worth a 1st rd pick, but I don't feel any QB in this draft is worth a 1st rd pick. Last year, QBs were coming out of the woodwork. This past draft could eclipse the greatest QB draft ever (83). This year could be one of the worst. IF we choose to move Flynn, I pity the team that covets him.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The future of Matt Flynn
 Post Posted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:12 pm 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Thu Apr 21, 2011 3:47 pm
Posts: 2824
Location: Seattle
I'd also add that it's likely Kirk Cousins would be a more valuable trade target in terms of other team's backups and quite possibly Alex Smith as well. We're not holding the only card to be played here, and I don't think we're holding the highest one either.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The future of Matt Flynn
 Post Posted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:39 pm 
NET Rookie
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:52 am
Posts: 229
Throwdown wrote:
hawks4thewin wrote:
I don't think he is going anywhere...We don't need the cash right now, we can see what happens in the draft... all before peddling away someone who at one time was brought in as a starter.
Flynn is good. Imagine if fumble fingers didn't drop that one pass he aired out recently...... we would be like WOW Flynn is awesome....
he don't suck, he is better than a lot of starters out there I think.... he will yield security, or profit.


We got Chancellor coming up, Browner too and some others, this team needs money to extend these dudes.

I'd rather keep the core intact instead of keeping the back up QB who can be easily replaced, no matter how you guys want to look at Flynn, he's still the back up.



He's a valuable commodity sitting as a backup, really no good for us there. package him, while teams are hot for QB's with picks.. get something hot.
I agree with the other poster,
I would'nt mind Tjack as a backup, he's fine, actually he would be perfect.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The future of Matt Flynn
 Post Posted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:44 pm 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:20 pm
Posts: 4667
Location: The 5-0
pinksheets wrote:
I'd also add that it's likely Kirk Cousins would be a more valuable trade target in terms of other team's backups and quite possibly Alex Smith as well. We're not holding the only card to be played here, and I don't think we're holding the highest one either.


I absolutely agree. I said earlier Smith would be my first choice...but that based solely on the fact we've been able to see more of him. OTOH, he could be a zombie by now.
I would look hard at Flynn immediately after Smith and I doubt the Skins would shop Cousins, It's not a matter of if Griffin goes down, but when will he go down (again)?

It pains me to say it, but Tennesee is another team that might want to start looking for a franchise QB. :(


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The future of Matt Flynn
 Post Posted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:13 pm 
NET Bench Warmer
Offline

Joined: Sun Dec 23, 2012 7:19 pm
Posts: 4
HawkWow wrote:
Like many of you, I'm watching the projected #1 pick in the 13 draft, Geno Smith, look rather ordinary, if not lost, against football power house Syacuse. I said it earlier in this thread but continue to believe that this drafts best (Smith, Barkley, Wilson) are no better than last year's mid rd QB picks.

This isn't Smith's first less than exceptional game and despite the age difference, Flynn's experience would probably have me taking him over this year's projected #1 (overall). I'm not saying Flynn is worth a 1st rd pick, but I don't feel any QB in this draft is worth a 1st rd pick. Last year, QBs were coming out of the woodwork. This past draft could eclipse the greatest QB draft ever (83). This year could be one of the worst. IF we choose to move Flynn, I pity the team that covets him.


Mike Glennon from NC State is the most talented QB in the draft this year. He can make every single throw in the book. He has lacked a running game, oline protection, and too many drop balls over the past 2 years. Look for him to blow up at the senior bowl.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uygMU8GbWPE
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=URoXVwlayj ... re=related
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=682RFNg_DN ... re=related


Last edited by Hawks of Wolf on Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The future of Matt Flynn
 Post Posted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:14 pm 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:42 pm
Posts: 684
Throwdown wrote:
hawks4thewin wrote:
I don't think he is going anywhere...We don't need the cash right now, we can see what happens in the draft... all before peddling away someone who at one time was brought in as a starter.
Flynn is good. Imagine if fumble fingers didn't drop that one pass he aired out recently...... we would be like WOW Flynn is awesome....
he don't suck, he is better than a lot of starters out there I think.... he will yield security, or profit.


We got Chancellor coming up, Browner too and some others, this team needs money to extend these dudes.

I'd rather keep the core intact instead of keeping the back up QB who can be easily replaced, no matter how you guys want to look at Flynn, he's still the back up.


Ohh I agree, with you throwdown, but I thought we didn't have much in the way of contracts to deal with yet?

_________________
--/*Seattle Seahawks*\--


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The future of Matt Flynn
 Post Posted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:27 pm 
* NET Baller *
User avatar
Online

Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:02 am
Posts: 17443
Location: Graham, WA
hawks4thewin wrote:
Throwdown wrote:
hawks4thewin wrote:
I don't think he is going anywhere...We don't need the cash right now, we can see what happens in the draft... all before peddling away someone who at one time was brought in as a starter.
Flynn is good. Imagine if fumble fingers didn't drop that one pass he aired out recently...... we would be like WOW Flynn is awesome....
he don't suck, he is better than a lot of starters out there I think.... he will yield security, or profit.


We got Chancellor coming up, Browner too and some others, this team needs money to extend these dudes.

I'd rather keep the core intact instead of keeping the back up QB who can be easily replaced, no matter how you guys want to look at Flynn, he's still the back up.


Ohh I agree, with you throwdown, but I thought we didn't have much in the way of contracts to deal with yet?


Might or might not, I think Chancellor has 1 year left after this season and I think Browner as well, could be wrong so don't be surprised if I am lol.

_________________
Image
3elieve


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The future of Matt Flynn
 Post Posted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:39 pm 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:20 pm
Posts: 4667
Location: The 5-0
Hawks of Wolf wrote:
HawkWow wrote:
Like many of you, I'm watching the projected #1 pick in the 13 draft, Geno Smith, look rather ordinary, if not lost, against football power house Syacuse. I said it earlier in this thread but continue to believe that this drafts best (Smith, Barkley, Wilson) are no better than last year's mid rd QB picks.

This isn't Smith's first less than exceptional game and despite the age difference, Flynn's experience would probably have me taking him over this year's projected #1 (overall). I'm not saying Flynn is worth a 1st rd pick, but I don't feel any QB in this draft is worth a 1st rd pick. Last year, QBs were coming out of the woodwork. This past draft could eclipse the greatest QB draft ever (83). This year could be one of the worst. IF we choose to move Flynn, I pity the team that covets him.


Mike Glennon from NC State is the most talented QB in the draft this year. He can make every single throw in the book. He has lacked a running game, oline protection, and too many drop balls over the past 2 years. Look for him to blow up at the senior bowl.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uygMU8GbWPE
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=URoXVwlayj ... re=related
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=682RFNg_DN ... re=related



Thanks for the head's up! I'll be up early watching him Monday vs Vandy. Reminds me a bit of a younger Roethlisberger (I mean that as a compliment).


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The future of Matt Flynn
 Post Posted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:48 pm 
NET Veteran
Offline

Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:24 pm
Posts: 3078
Location: Anchorage, AK
I agree that Glennon has the potential to move up BIG time on draft boards. I agree that bad running game, dropped passes and playcalling has been detrimental to him.

I do not believe that he will succed at the next level. He has the physical tools like very few but I don't believe that he sees the game properly which is why he throws many of his picks.

We shall see (also watched him the past few years)


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The future of Matt Flynn
 Post Posted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 7:35 am 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2012 6:50 am
Posts: 1057
I think we try to keep him. We call some plays from that pistol that do put Wilson in harms way. It helps to have Flynn waiting just in case.


Top 
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 154 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Board index » SEAHAWKS.NET - THE VOICE OF THE 12TH MAN » [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Galen96, Google [Bot], gulliver, Scottemojo, Seanhawk, SoulfishHawk, themunn, TXHawk, Yahoo [Bot], YaktownHawK and 80 guests

 

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Seahawks.NET is an independent fan site and not associated with the Seattle Seahawks or the NFL (National Football League).
All content within this Seahawks fan page is provided by, and for, Seattle Seahawks fans. Copyright © Seahawks.NET.