The future of Matt Flynn

kearly

Reaction score
I'm starting to change my stance on Matt Flynn. For the last several months, I've felt that having a good backup has a lot of value and shouldn't be discarded without much thought. Actually, I still feel that way, but I had a bit of a change of heart when I looked up Flynn's contract details at Spotrac today:

Matt Flynn's Cap hit-

2013: $7.25 million (2 mil guaranteed)
2014: $8.25 million (2 mil guaranteed)

For comparison's sake, Flynn's cap hit this season was only $4 million.

Seattle only has an estimated $13.5 million this offseason and that's before signing back our own free agents, among them Jason Jones and Alan Branch. Seattle also needs to have money on hand in 2014 so that they can extend Kam Chancellor (RFA), Doug Baldwin (RFA), Walter Thurmond, and/or Brandon Browner (RFA). The RFA option will really help as a short term fix, but the idea is that you want to have enough money to sign them all long term, assuming they are still worth it in two year's time.

However, if Seattle outright trades Flynn, that cap number would jump to $20.75 million, and would give them the ammunition to sign their existing free agents and draft picks while still having room to spare to make a run at a big name free agent. It would also free up a ton of money in 2014, which begins a string of seasons in which the Seahawks will have to start paying big to keep their team intact.

While I like this year's options in the draft, the WR group in free agency has a chance to be the best in years (Wes Welker, Greg Jennings, Mike Wallace, Victor Cruz (RFA), Dwayne Bowe, Danny Amendola, Danario Alexander (RFA) and Bryan Hartline). Some of those guys will be signed before hitting the market, but still, this has a chance to be as wide a field for available WRs as I've ever seen. Alexander could be a guy worth keeping an eye on if the Steelers get cute with his RFA tag- he's become an intriguing up and coming WR in recent weeks and could be a good low cost gamble.

There are some nice options on the D-line too. Henry Melton, Michael Bennett (remember him?), Randy Starks, any of them would be upgrades at DT and probably better than anyone in the draft for our 3-tech spot.

Problem is, to find the money for those players, Seattle would need to expend some contracts. Zach Miller is the most obvious option, but he's played well. Sidney Rice and Red Bryant are too valuable to risk approaching for a restructure. Really that leaves Matt Flynn, who's contract is a pain in 2013 and a problem in 2014.

And really, I think the FO designed Flynn's contract so that he'd have to earn most of his money by how he did in 2012. There is no way they signed him to be a $7-8 million a year backup for Russell Wilson.

So what value does Flynn have?

I think this question has missed the mark. It's not just about what teams will give us for Flynn, it's about what we can do with the money we'd save by trading him. If we released Flynn outright, that would probably give the team enough money to upgrade over Jason Jones with Randy Starks. That has a lot of value. The draft pick is just a bonus. And if the team trades him, they are off the hook for the $4 million remaining guaranteed money too, so it's even better.

The way the offseason is shaping up, I see 3 QBs that will likely get 1st round consideration this year, with about twice as many teams that could consider QB early (KC, OAK, AZ, JAX, BUF, NYJ). During the draft their will be a game of QB musical chairs, and when the music stops playing I suspect at least a few of those teams will make inquiries into Flynn. If Seattle gets anything in return, it's a win. If they get a 3rd or 4th round pick, it's a huge win. And frankly, I think Flynn is worth at least that much, just not to us as a backup.

Of course, if Flynn is traded than Seattle will need to find a low cost answer to replace him. Looking into the mid to late rounds of the draft could be an option (there are a couple players I think really fit JS well in that range). Pete has not shown hesitancy to start the year with an inexperienced backup, as he did in 2010 and 2011 with Whitehurst. He originally planned for Wilson to be the backup in 2012. So going into the draft for the next backup QB could be the most likely way this gets resolved.

But if Pete wants a veteran, there are options. Among them T-Jack, Vince Young, Tim Tebow (lol), Bruce Gradkowski, and- probably- Matt Hasselbeck (he'll probably be a contract casualty this offseason).

When I look at that and take it all in, then I remember how John Schneider has been so cold blooded with contracts, I think it's pretty likely that Matt Flynn will not be a Seahawk next season, and that the team will prosper from his departure- even though I truly believe he is a worthy starting QB in the National Football League.

usChawks

Reaction score
Suppose we trade Matt Flynn, and hypothetically Matt Barkley is available to us in the 20s, do you think Seattle drafts him? I realize that this is highly unlikely due to all the QB hungry teams, and he doesn't fit well in our offensive scheme. But if Barkley drops, is he too good to pass up?

Jazzhawk

Reaction score
Bah. Damn you. All the Trade Flynn talk had nicely died down. Now it's gonna be all the rage again. Poop.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Keep him, he's a quality backup and hell of a closer. He has 3 saves so far.

Jazzhawk

Reaction score
volsunghawk":2dwaaukk said:
We did pick up Josh Johnson already, didn't we? Any thoughts on him moving up to the #2 spot and competing with a journeyman vet in 2013 for the backup role while Flynn moves on to a QB needy team?
We currently only have 2 QB's on the roster, including IR and PS. So no, Johnson is not with them. Besides, I'm not sure I'd call him a quality backup.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
volsunghawk":2g5pavkb said:
We did pick up Josh Johnson already, didn't we? Any thoughts on him moving up to the #2 spot and competing with a journeyman vet in 2013 for the backup role while Flynn moves on to a QB needy team?

Johnson just got signed by Cleveland and looks like he may be playing this weekend. McCoy and Weeden both have right shoulder injuries.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
usChawks":pfocgtz1 said:
Suppose we trade Matt Flynn, and hypothetically Matt Barkley is available to us in the 20s, do you think Seattle drafts him? I realize that this is highly unlikely due to all the QB hungry teams, and he doesn't fit well in our offensive scheme. But if Barkley drops, is he too good to pass up?

No, they wouldn't.

djb28

Reaction score
There is no way the guy wants to stay here and be a back up. I hope we get something for him that is respectable, And I hope he goes somewhere he can start.

HawkWow

Reaction score
usChawks":1gxuahk1 said:

No. I like Barkley but USC QBs are not to be trusted to perform in the bigs. I am convinced USC gets these outstanding recruits, then maxs their potential before they get drafted way too high, ruining teams along the way. I think Barkley will drop out of the first and we'd have to move up in the 2nd to get him. Why? I'd sooner keep that pick(s) and Flynn.

I do hope Barkley breaks the cycle. I hope he is drafted somewhere where he can sit for a year or two before being thrown to the lions. SF might be a good place for him, actually.

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
I don't think Barkley escapes the top 5 picks. There are a lot of QB hungry teams and Barkley is still the #1 QB. I don't think scouts have forgotten Barkley's hot streak from the year before, just like they didn't for Ryan Tannehill after he slumped in his last season. Ditto Jake Locker. Ditto Christian Ponder.

HawkWow

Reaction score
kearly":2b3kt92b said:
I don't think Barkley escapes the top 5 picks. There are a lot of QB hungry teams and Barkley is still the #1 QB. I don't think scouts have forgotten Barkley's hot streak from the year before, just like they didn't for Ryan Tannehill after he slumped in his last season. Ditto Jake Locker. Ditto Christian Ponder.

No question teams get trigger happy with QBs in April. We've made our share of such knee jerk mistakes. Urgh. But I think the word is out on USC QBs, I really do. Barkley, IMO, like those before him, has likely peaked already. I think both Geno and Wilson will go before him. I could be wrong, but if I were Barkley, no way do I go to NYC. No way. I think he will be sitting there looking the way Brady Quinn did. The cameras love that stuff. I couldn't wish it on anyone...not even a Trojan. ;)

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
I don't see who's going to jump for Flynn. There were three or four QB-desperate teams last March and none of them gave more than a half-hearted offer. He'll probably just get cut.

usChawks

Reaction score
No. I like Barkley but USC QBs are not to be trusted to perform in the bigs. I am convinced USC gets these outstanding recruits, then maxs their potential before they get drafted way too high, ruining teams along the way. I think Barkley will drop out of the first and we'd have to move up in the 2nd to get him. Why? I'd sooner keep that pick(s) and Flynn.

Apart from Carson Palmer, who has had some success in the pros, history does point to USC QBs not meeting their hype. But also consider that PC was adamantly against Sanchez entering the draft. And PC has had nothing but high praise for Barkley, even comparing RW to him. And after reading this forum for the past couple of years or so, it seems that Barkley has some elite qualities to his game, unlike some of those names above.

Actually, here's a little story that may or may not mean anything. The USC film school had a screening of 'The League' in October that was free to USC students (with RSVP), and I wore a bright neon green Seahawks shirt. Matt Barkley was there with a couple of people, and he actually walked by and said 'nice shirt' to me. It did make me wonder, just for a little bit..

But this is all hypothetical, of course. I guess a 1st rounder is a steep price for a backup QB. Honestly, I just really really hope he doesn't get drafted by any NFC West teams besides the Seahawks.

Happypuppy

Reaction score
If we are following the GB model we are very fair to the core players and cut high priced older or lesser impact players. So I agree Flynn is gone , after all GB did let him walk

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
We don't need monet to resign thurmond. He can't stay healthy and quite honestly I don't want players who are injury prone.

Jones? He was a disappointment as well. Maybe it's because I bought into his hype during the offseason about how he was going to transform our pass rush.

Seams like 4 million isn't that much for a top flight backup to me.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Through no fault of Flynn's own, he was dealt a raw deal due to Wilson being so amazing. I'd like to see him traded to a team, and succeeding. I kind of feel bad for him. He might have led us to the same number of wins or possibly even more due to likely having a less painful early learning curve due to how much time he spent in the league, for all we know. He deserves a chance somewhere before he ages much more.

ProckHawks

Reaction score
Why not trade Flynn? He has vaule still. Cards, Eagles, Bills, Vikings, Jags, Titains, Jets, and KC will all be looking to upgrade the QB postion. Most of thos teams are gonna be in talks with the Seahawks in the offseason. I believe a 2nd or 3rd isn't to much to ask for. Maybe some kinda package. Who knows. Matt Moore and Drew Stanton will be free agant along with Jason Campbell. All 3 would make good back ups. All 3 have starting exp. Have proven they can win. I'd like to see one of those back up RW3.

SeaTown81

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":1pkiscs5 said:
Through no fault of Flynn's own, he was dealt a raw deal due to Wilson being so amazing. I'd like to see him traded to a team, and succeeding. I kind of feel bad for him. He might have led us to the same number of wins or possibly even more due to likely having a less painful early learning curve due to how much time he spent in the league, for all we know. He deserves a chance somewhere before he ages much more.

And for all we know he could've been the reincarnation of Kevin FitzCassellKolb and been entirely mediocre, as is the case with most backups turned starters.

I don't feel sorry for Flynn. He's making bank and having to do jack for it. What a tough break.

Fans felt sorry for Charlie Whitehurst too.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
SeaTown81":16v3m6p0 said:
And for all we know he could've been the reincarnation of Kevin FitzCassellKolb and been entirely mediocre, as is the case with most backups turned starters.

I don't feel sorry for Flynn. He's making bank and having to do jack for it. What a tough break.

Fans felt sorry for Charlie Whitehurst too.

Lol, way to hold "Well, he might have sucked" against him. I said he deserves a chance, not a damn NFL MVP award. Calm your beard.

Latest posts