Are we what we hate: The 2005 Pittsburgh SteAlers?

DohBoy

Reaction score
There are some parallels there:

Dynamic, young QB acting like a veteran.

Mind-blowing efficiency in the passing game (ie, no need to throw for 300 yards to win, excellent ball protection, consistently reasonable third-down situations).

Top-5 defense with attitude.

A defensive monster with great hair (Polamalu, Sherman)

A team coming on very strong to close out the season, replete with national media buzz (one of the biggest "piss me off" things about the SteAlers '05 SB run).

With a final win, the team finishes with the same record.

And for sprinkles on top, one wily veteran left from the previous SB run (Willie Williams, Tru).

Throw in the fact that Lynch/Turbin > Parker/Bettis, and I'm getting sort of stoked about this comparison...especially the final result.

Anybody else see these parallels, or am I smoking Christmas crack?

DohBoy

PS: Happy Festivus!

Basis4day

Reaction score
We are the 2012 Seahawks. Compare to past teams all you want, but I find us pretty unique.

run and shoot

Reaction score
I don't hate the Steelers because of those things you mentioned in your post. I have many other reasons why to hate them and it started well before the Superbowl. Then the pre festivities to the bowl started the scratching on the chalkboard, and after the game it was like the whole Squealers are scratching on the chalkboard every time they show up on my tv.

OP
OP
DohBoy

DohBoy

Reaction score
@run and shoot,

No, I didn't mean to imply anyone hates the SteAlers for the reasons I listed above. Rather, it was just the fact that we dislike them because of the hype running up to the SB (essentially, everybody picked an 11-5 team and 6 seed over us) and then the officiating debacle that occurred in the SB.

DohBoy

Jayburd14

Reaction score
The other exception is, if we do make it to the Superbowl we will not get the favorable officiating that the 2005 Stealers got. Also we don't have an icon type player from New Orleans that will be playing their last game ever.

skater18000

Reaction score
This season is all the defense imo. The way they are playing tells me that yes we can win it all with a rookie... If the defense fails its on one person... Rw # 3

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
DohBoy, you came damned close to going on my ignore list with this thread. You totally pissed me off.

twisted_steel2

Reaction score
Hopefully, if the league/refs want to hand the SB to us gift wrapped on a silver platter, I wouldn't turn it down.

Bloodrunsblue

Reaction score
Jayburd14":2qatlvfl said:
The other exception is, if we do make it to the Superbowl we will not get the favorable officiating that the 2005 Stealers got. Also we don't have an icon type player from New Orleans that will be playing their last game ever.

Detroit

Sunday nights game was especially delicious for me, as I hosted an Xmas party which was just filled with Steeler fans whining about missing the playoffs while the Hawks destroyed the 9ers.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Do we have an overweight running back beloved by the entire nation who hails from host town of the Super Bowl and just deserves to retire stripes cum laude with a trophy?

I don't think so.

OP
OP
DohBoy

DohBoy

Reaction score
Perhaps it the synergy created by "Brut" and "Old Spice" gift sets (apparently nobody loves me), perhaps it's the hours I've spent w/the youngin' building his Lego Death Star (apparently Mom & Dad are spending their retirement on the grandchildren), perhaps it's the repeated playing of "Last Christmas" by Wham(!) on the radio...but whatever caused it, I want to apologize to those I've offended with my '05 SteAlers comparison.

DohBoy

scutterhawk

Reaction score
DohBoy":20pg7a6q said:
There are some parallels there:

Dynamic, young QB acting like a veteran.

Mind-blowing efficiency in the passing game (ie, no need to throw for 300 yards to win, excellent ball protection, consistently reasonable third-down situations).

Top-5 defense with attitude.

A defensive monster with great hair (Polamalu, Sherman)

A team coming on very strong to close out the season, replete with national media buzz (one of the biggest "piss me off" things about the SteAlers '05 SB run).

With a final win, the team finishes with the same record.

And for sprinkles on top, one wily veteran left from the previous SB run (Willie Williams, Tru).

Throw in the fact that Lynch/Turbin > Parker/Bettis, and I'm getting sort of stoked about this comparison...especially the final result.

Anybody else see these parallels, or am I smoking Christmas crack?

DohBoy

PS: Happy Festivus!
No, Wilson is too short.

The Seahawks doesn't have the East Coast bias going for them.

The Seahawks won't be playing in the Super Bowl in a Western stadium venue.

Jayburd14

Reaction score
Bloodrunsblue":2im2kva6 said:
Jayburd14":2im2kva6 said:

Detroit

Sunday nights game was especially delicious for me, as I hosted an Xmas party which was just filled with Steeler fans whining about missing the playoffs while the Hawks destroyed the 9ers.
I said New Orleans, because that is where the Super Bowl is at.