Russell Wilson is a classy dude

WolfHawk

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

First off, I apologize for the length of my first post, so I'll put a TL;DR at the bottom. But hopefully you guys will find this stuff interesting because it's all about Russell Wilson.

He is the classiest guy you will ever meet. I have had the pleasure of meeting him once, we shared an elevator together at NC State, sometime during his sophomore campaign (I was also a sophomore). I raved about how great it was to finally have a savior for our football program, which had suffered through many inept quarterbacks between Philip Rivers and our man Wilson. He thanked me for my support, but deflected all the credit I was giving him to the rest of the team (which frankly, sucked). There were no cameras around, he didn't have to be PC here, I was just a fan talking to him on campus, but he was still very humble and friendly. This is probably not news to you guys by now, because he has always acted this way. In every interview ever, he has been nothing but classy and humble.

But now I'd like to mention the latest classy thing thing that Wilson did, and the reason for me joining this forum. It was during your thrashing of the 49ers on Sunday Night Football.

For those of you who don't know the backstory (though I'm sure many of you do), Russell Wilson spent 3 years as the QB at NC State, but he graduated and used the grad student transfer rule to go to Wisconsin and play immediately without sitting out a year. The reason he did this was because our coach, Tom O'Brien (who was fired after greatly underachieving this year), pushed Wilson out of the program, which was probably a colossal mistake. Basically, we had this ridiculously highly touted high school QB, Mike Glennon, who had sat patiently and waited his turn for 3 years (1 redshirt), while Russell Wilson tore things up. Russell was not highly touted and not recruited by O'Brien. He was one of those "diamonds in the rough". Wilson also played baseball while at NC State, which he was pretty decent at (drafted in the 4th Rd by the Colorado Rockies). Wilson was torn for a long time about which sport he would pursue professionally, but it was widely believed he was leaning towards baseball, because everyone knew that "he is just too short to be an NFL QB". During his time at State, he made a habit out of missing football spring practice to participate in baseball. Our coach did not like this, but tolerated it. The problem was that when Wilson got drafted by the Rockies, he joined a single A minor league affiliate of theirs for a summer season. He did not inform the coach on whether he intended to return for his senior season or not until well into the summer, probably because he himself did not yet know. When he finally decided to come back to the football team, O'Brien had already named Glennon the starter, so he told Russell he could come back, but he'd have to be a backup.

As you can imagine, many State fans took issue with this decision, because it ultimately caused Wilson to transfer to Wisconsin, where he won the Rose Bowl. It has been a sore spot for many Pack fans since it happened 2 and a half years ago. I personally felt it was a tough spot for everyone involved, because Glennon would've undoubtedly transferred if Wilson were named the starter, leaving us with a crappy freshman as our backup and the future of our program. Ultimately Glennon was a great QB too, and you'll probably see him drafted relatively highly in April, but he couldn't carry a team like Russell could. Glennon needs a solid O-Line and good receivers to be successful. Russell can keep plays alive and keep defenses honest with his feet and be a leader in the locker room and on the field.

Anyways, I digress. The point of this post is what Russell did on Sunday Night Football. Many Pack fans were wondering which college he would name during the player intros, because many of us feel disrespected that Wilson is always associated with Wisconsin by sports writers and the like. Most players, given Russell's situation, would definitely hold a grudge against the NC State program because of the way our idiot coach pushed him out, but not Russell. The way he gave a shout out to both programs by saying "A whole pack o' badgers" was very classy, considering he could've easily just said "Wisconsin", which is the school that put him in the spotlight.

When he did that, I decided that it was time for me to become a real Seahawks fan. I live in North Carolina, and I've been a Panthers fan my whole life, but I have ties to the Seattle area, so the Seahawks have always been my second favorite team. But I think it's time to up the ante a bit and really follow the Seahawks. I'm still gonna be a Panthers fan, but I'll be pulling for Seattle hard in every other game and learning more about your team, which actually has several N.C. State players (J.R. Sweezy, Hauschka).

Anways, sorry for being so long-winded, I just wanted to make sure Russell Wilson's story gets heard by his new nation of die-hard fans. Btw, your stadium is kick-ass. I've been to 1 game at CenturyLink and it was last year against the Bucs when you guys were pretty bad, and that place was still more rowdy than I think I've ever seen Bank of America Stadium, so props to the 12th man.

TL;DR - I'm an NC State graduate. Russell Wilson gave a shoutout to NC State on Sunday Night Football, when he could very easily have held a grudge against our program. He is a super classy guy and because of him, I'm gonna be a Seahawks fan. Also the Panthers suck.

dunceface

Reaction score
Thanks for the explanation I was wondering about why he said it like that...and welcome!

OP
OP
W

WolfHawk

Reaction score
SilkMonkey":23w67fn3 said:
It sounded like he said

"A wolf pack of badgers"

Isn't NC State the Wolfpack?

Yeah, we're the Wolfpack. You might be right, I saw the game at a bar so there was a lot of background noise.

dunceface

Reaction score
It sounded to me like he said "a whooole pack of badgers"
(I was watching at home with the surround sound on...)

tek5

Reaction score
WolfHawk":1b58clwv said:
Hey everyone,

First off, I apologize for the length of my first post, so I'll put a TL;DR at the bottom. But hopefully you guys will find this stuff interesting because it's all about Russell Wilson.

He is the classiest guy you will ever meet. I have had the pleasure of meeting him once, we shared an elevator together at NC State, sometime during his sophomore campaign (I was also a sophomore). I raved about how great it was to finally have a savior for our football program, which had suffered through many inept quarterbacks between Philip Rivers and our man Wilson. He thanked me for my support, but deflected all the credit I was giving him to the rest of the team (which frankly, sucked). There were no cameras around, he didn't have to be PC here, I was just a fan talking to him on campus, but he was still very humble and friendly. This is probably not news to you guys by now, because he has always acted this way. In every interview ever, he has been nothing but classy and humble.

But now I'd like to mention the latest classy thing thing that Wilson did, and the reason for me joining this forum. It was during your thrashing of the 49ers on Sunday Night Football.

For those of you who don't know the backstory (though I'm sure many of you do), Russell Wilson spent 3 years as the QB at NC State, but he graduated and used the grad student transfer rule to go to Wisconsin and play immediately without sitting out a year. The reason he did this was because our coach, Tom O'Brien (who was fired after greatly underachieving this year), pushed Wilson out of the program, which was probably a colossal mistake. Basically, we had this ridiculously highly touted high school QB, Mike Glennon, who had sat patiently and waited his turn for 3 years (1 redshirt), while Russell Wilson tore things up. Russell was not highly touted and not recruited by O'Brien. He was one of those "diamonds in the rough". Wilson also played baseball while at NC State, which he was pretty decent at (drafted in the 4th Rd by the Colorado Rockies). Wilson was torn for a long time about which sport he would pursue professionally, but it was widely believed he was leaning towards baseball, because everyone knew that "he is just too short to be an NFL QB". During his time at State, he made a habit out of missing football spring practice to participate in baseball. Our coach did not like this, but tolerated it. The problem was that when Wilson got drafted by the Rockies, he joined a single A minor league affiliate of theirs for a summer season. He did not inform the coach on whether he intended to return for his senior season or not until well into the summer, probably because he himself did not yet know. When he finally decided to come back to the football team, O'Brien had already named Glennon the starter, so he told Russell he could come back, but he'd have to be a backup.

As you can imagine, many State fans took issue with this decision, because it ultimately caused Wilson to transfer to Wisconsin, where he won the Rose Bowl. It has been a sore spot for many Pack fans since it happened 2 and a half years ago. I personally felt it was a tough spot for everyone involved, because Glennon would've undoubtedly transferred if Wilson were named the starter, leaving us with a crappy freshman as our backup and the future of our program. Ultimately Glennon was a great QB too, and you'll probably see him drafted relatively highly in April, but he couldn't carry a team like Russell could. Glennon needs a solid O-Line and good receivers to be successful. Russell can keep plays alive and keep defenses honest with his feet and be a leader in the locker room and on the field.

Anyways, I digress. The point of this post is what Russell did on Sunday Night Football. Many Pack fans were wondering which college he would name during the player intros, because many of us feel disrespected that Wilson is always associated with Wisconsin by sports writers and the like. Most players, given Russell's situation, would definitely hold a grudge against the NC State program because of the way our idiot coach pushed him out, but not Russell. The way he gave a shout out to both programs by saying "A whole pack o' badgers" was very classy, considering he could've easily just said "Wisconsin", which is the school that put him in the spotlight.

When he did that, I decided that it was time for me to become a real Seahawks fan. I live in North Carolina, and I've been a Panthers fan my whole life, but I have ties to the Seattle area, so the Seahawks have always been my second favorite team. But I think it's time to up the ante a bit and really follow the Seahawks. I'm still gonna be a Panthers fan, but I'll be pulling for Seattle hard in every other game and learning more about your team, which actually has several N.C. State players (J.R. Sweezy, Hauschka).

Anways, sorry for being so long-winded, I just wanted to make sure Russell Wilson's story gets heard by his new nation of die-hard fans. Btw, your stadium is kick-ass. I've been to 1 game at CenturyLink and it was last year against the Bucs when you guys were pretty bad, and that place was still more rowdy than I think I've ever seen Bank of America Stadium, so props to the 12th man.

TL;DR - I'm an NC State graduate. Russell Wilson gave a shoutout to NC State on Sunday Night Football, when he could very easily have held a grudge against our program. He is a super classy guy and because of him, I'm gonna be a Seahawks fan. Also the Panthers suck.

"Russel Wilson, a whole pack of badgers"

kearly

Reaction score
Great insight. I always figured Wilson went to Wisconsin as a cold, calculated move to further his NFL chances (Wisconsin was a GREAT team, and they had one of the tallest lines anywhere which helped him prove he was draftable). I can scarcely believe he was forced out at NC State. Now THAT is an incompetent coach.

seacat1

Reaction score
Great post Wolfhawk! Russell Wilson kind of reminds me of another Wolf Pack graduate who played in Seattle Nate McMillan. The city of Seattle seems to have a real connection with players from NC State!

bestfightstory

Reaction score
Great story. Thanks for taking the time to share. One question. Having shared an elevator and all. Is Russell taller or shorter in real life?

AVL

Reaction score
kearly":1nymyrge said:
Great insight. I always figured Wilson went to Wisconsin as a cold, calculated move to further his NFL chances (Wisconsin was a GREAT team, and they had one of the tallest lines anywhere which helped him prove he was draftable). I can scarcely believe he was forced out at NC State. Now THAT is an incompetent coach.

I agree with the incompetency claim about TOB, but for other reasons.

Those college coaches tend to take spring training rather seriously. It helps have year round control of the student/ athletes. Having your starting quarterback present is desirable in their eyes. I wonder how Pete would have handled that situation.

I knew RW was drafted out of high school by Baltimore for a big buck offer, but I didn't know it was seven figures until pregame tv chat. That he turned that down to walk on to NCS (in football) just blows my mind.

themunn

Reaction score
I caught that at the time, I don't really follow college football as I don't live in the states, so don't really know much about NC State, but even though I now know they're known as the wolfpack, I could tell from that phrase that he was referencing both colleges, which I thought was really cool

pocketprotector

Reaction score
I too am an NC State fan who will now be a passionate Seahawks fan as long as Wilson is the quarterback. I remember watching him play his freshman year and thinking, "he cannot maintain this high of a performance, this sort of magic can not be sustained, he has got to come back to earth eventually." He never did.

Nothing he accomplishes will ever surprise me again.

NYCoug

Reaction score
Excellent post WolfHawk. Definitely not "too long" and definitely worth reading. Keep the good stuff comin!

I thought it was pretty awesome that Russ said that during the intros as well. I used to follow NC State pretty closely back in the days of Jerricho Cotchery, Philip Rivers, K-Rob, Andre Brown, Mario Williams,etc. I always loved Chuck Amato, one of my favorite coaches of all-time despite the fact that he never could quite put you guys over the top despite having immense talent on his teams. Lately it's been all Wazzu, all the time for me but I think I'm going to start to keep an eye on NC State again.

Pretty awesome that you got to have a little talk with Russ, especially back then before all this NFL stardom. Great to know that he was just as grounded then as he is now. Welcome to .Net.