So why exactly did JR Sweezy start yesterday?

The Essential Online Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. RATING: PG-13
  • Not saying that it was the wrong move but it came out of left field. And Pete even had the balls to not even activate Moffit. Seems kind of risky that Moffit wouldn't even be active considering he was the starter the last few weeks.

Did Moffit do something behind close doors? Late for a practice or something else?

Does any oline expert on here know what the differences between Sweezy and Moffit are? Whos better at what?

Again, I am just curious.
    VancitySeahawk
    NET Veteran

• Sweezy has been a beast and I think its only been a matter of time before he became a starter. He had to adjust positions from Defense to Offense, but thats a huge difference in a lot of ways. Moffit he is funny and a clown and even entertaining, but if what he says about himself and football is remotely true (like not working out) then I can totally see how it was only a matter of time before work ethic and determination were going to beat him out.
    madbohem
    NET Rookie

• Mercy

so harbaugh has no excuse for that ass whoopin. you take out j.smith, we take out moffit just to make it fair.
    We are the 2014 Superbowl champions and it can never, ever be taken away.
    Greatest defense in NFL history.
    Seeker
    NET Veteran

• madbohem wrote:Sweezy has been a beast and I think its only been a matter of time before he became a starter. He had to adjust positions from Defense to Offense, but thats a huge difference in a lot of ways. Moffit he is funny and a clown and even entertaining, but if what he says about himself and football is remotely true (like not working out) then I can totally see how it was only a matter of time before work ethic and determination were going to beat him out.

I think Moffitt is being self deprecating. I believe that he is a good player, and he is a great glue guy as well. He's just a character.
    Starrman44
    NET Veteran

• Oh he was on inactive list before the game. Minor injury probably. :thfight7:
    WE ALL WE GOT WE ALL WE NEED!
    Bucknastay
    NET Bench Warmer

• Postgame Presser Link

@8:45 mark someone asks about Moffit and coach stumbles around and says he was just the odd man out. Doesn't sound like an injury, just not starting any more and coach doesn't want to make a big deal about it?
    Idle vaporings of a mind diseased
    VaporHawk
    NET Veteran

• I had to listen to the game on the radio, and before the game they said he was inactive to make room for Butler. Him being inactive tells me 1) they're loving Sweezy's play 2) They're not loving Moffit's. I do think Sweezy is starting to play well, and is only going to get better with time.
    BAllenHawk
    NET Rookie

• VaporHawk wrote:Postgame Presser Link

@8:45 mark someone asks about Moffit and coach stumbles around and says he was just the odd man out. Doesn't sound like an injury, just not starting any more and coach doesn't want to make a big deal about it?

But it still kind of seems odd that Moffit would go from starting to being inactive the next week. The writing on the wall tells me that he is being punished for something off of the field.

I mean they wouldnt even keep him active to be a back up guard?

When does anyone ever go from starter to inactive in one week?
    VancitySeahawk
    NET Veteran

• I'll take the glass half full approach and believe that Sweezy has just become too good to leave on the sidelines,....however I don't have a clue why Moffit would not even be active,...
    Hamhawk
    NET Veteran

• Remember moffit and sweez been swaping drives for many games... I think sweez's speed better matched up against the niners.. that's my thought
    --/*Seattle Seahawks*\--
    hawks4thewin
    NET Veteran

• Moffitt has had a knee issue all season so this doesn't surprise me. Sweezy is quicker than a gimpy kneed Moffitt. Easy decision.
    I'm In!

What attracted you to the Seahawks?
    “It’s a combination of what I believe the coaches are doing here, the atmosphere and what I think we’re going to do here in the future. I think we’re going to win and win a lot and be a championship team.” – Zac Miller, August 4, 2011
    Seafan
    NET Veteran

• I love Moffitt he as a lot of fun to listen too. Sometimes I think his humor runs the PC types the wrong way. His "I never workout" "I wonder how I am on this team"comments I suspect could be taken as he could work harder. Carp and Moffitt really need to hit they gym hard in the off season and get in better shape. Fewer injuries and better play would result.
    Last edited by Happypuppy on Tue Dec 25, 2012 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Happypuppy
    NET Veteran

• Moffit has not impressed me as a run blocker this year. I was not surprised to see him replaced.
    "Some people here have been groomed to accept mediocrity and lame ducks, I'm on board with the vibrato!" -SouthSoundHawk
    "BFS is kicking ass in here." -kearly (8/9/2013)
    bestfightstory
    * Glitter over Knives *

• BAllenHawk wrote:I had to listen to the game on the radio, and before the game they said he was inactive to make room for Butler. Him being inactive tells me 1) they're loving Sweezy's play 2) They're not loving Moffit's. I do think Sweezy is starting to play well, and is only going to get better with time.

Speaking of Butler....that didn't last long, did it? I was bummed to hear of his release (again), but trust in Pete. I wish Deon well.
    HawkWow
    NET Veteran

• Happypuppy wrote:I love Moffitt he as a lot of fun to listen too. Sometimes I think his humor runs the PC types the wrong way. His "I never workout" "I wonder how I am on this team"comments I suspect could be taken as he could work harder. Carp and Moffitt really need to hit they gym hard in the off season and get in better shape. Fewer injuries and better play would result.

You mean Carpenter that slagged off his injury, by returning a year ahead of schedule? That guy?

Rip Carps play, but not the dudes commitment. Most players in his position, in a league without guarenteed contracts, wouldn't have even TRIED to play this year. I get it, he's an easy target, but dude earned a lil respect this year.
    @ryanadamdavis
    pehawk
    * Report Button *

• pehawk wrote:
    Happypuppy wrote:I love Moffitt he as a lot of fun to listen too. Sometimes I think his humor runs the PC types the wrong way. His "I never workout" "I wonder how I am on this team"comments I suspect could be taken as he could work harder. Carp and Moffitt really need to hit they gym hard in the off season and get in better shape. Fewer injuries and better play would result.

You mean Carpenter that slagged off his injury, by returning a year ahead of schedule? That guy?

Rip Carps play, but not the dudes commitment. Most players in his position, in a league without guarenteed contracts, wouldn't have even TRIED to play this year. I get it, he's an easy target, but dude earned a lil respect this year.

I am not saying Carp is not a gamer. I am saying due to the amount of weight he carries it is contributing to his injuries and lack of endurance. He was at least 350 this season and could do as well a light weight. He is very strong, I heard he was the strongest lineman on the team.
    Happypuppy
    NET Veteran

• Fair enough. I'm excited to see what and who he'll be in 2013. I liked the pick, at guard though.
    @ryanadamdavis
    pehawk
    * Report Button *

• hawks4thewin wrote:Remember moffit and sweez been swaping drives for many games... I think sweez's speed better matched up against the niners.. that's my thought

Yep. This competition has been ongoing. Could have just been a matchup thing, but with Moffitt being inactive, Sweez may have won it outright. We'll see.
    HawkAroundTheClock
    NET Veteran

• As mentioned above Pete said he needed space for an extra wide receiver with the injury situations.

I think Sweezy got the call because Moffitt hasn't really had a clean bill of health all year. Perhaps Sweezy was seen as a safer bet to make it through the game. Total speculation, but either way Sweezy is seen as it least close to where Moffitt is as a player. Unless Moffitt did something to deserve getting benched which is possible I guess.

Still crazy Sweezy is contributing AND starting at least somewhat effectively at this point in his short career as an offensive lineman. Absolutely amazing honestly.
    JKent82
    NET Veteran

• Sweez has played even with Moffitt starting. Sweez was in for Moffitt on that really nice run by Beast at Toronto. It could be just an injury thing or Sweezy may have finally proven himself to be better. Either way doesn't seem to matter. He started and played the whole game in the biggest beat down in the NFL this season. Works for me. Gotta love the depth.
    I'm In!

What attracted you to the Seahawks?
    “It’s a combination of what I believe the coaches are doing here, the atmosphere and what I think we’re going to do here in the future. I think we’re going to win and win a lot and be a championship team.” – Zac Miller, August 4, 2011
    Seafan
    NET Veteran

• Another starter out of the 12 draft.

With the way PC and JS has been drafting and subsequently turning this team into a monster.....let's be glad there is no cap on coaches and GMs. At this rate, Mr. Allen is going to have to really open up his checkbook when their current deal is up. Let's hope he can afford to do so. ;)
    HawkWow
    NET Veteran

• I hope the coaching staff stays together too. BUT, we all know how the NFL works, and some playoff success just might mean we lose guys like Coach Cable that can really mold these raw beasts we keep drafting.
    Beeker
    NET Rookie

• If you read Eric Willams MMQB chats, there have been a few questions on this in recent weeks. This week EW said that (not exact quote here, sorry to not post the link), JR Sweezy is more athletic, physical and has more long term upside. Cable also likes him. He has also mentioned in the past how conditioning is an issue for Moffit.
    BelfastHawk
    NET Practice Squad

• Beeker wrote:I hope the coaching staff stays together too. BUT, we all know how the NFL works, and some playoff success just might mean we lose guys like Coach Cable that can really mold these raw beasts we keep drafting.

Sometimes though, people will continue to do something for less money because they long for greatness.
    madbohem
    NET Rookie

It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:28 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information