So why exactly did JR Sweezy start yesterday?

VancitySeahawk

Reaction score
Not saying that it was the wrong move but it came out of left field. And Pete even had the balls to not even activate Moffit. Seems kind of risky that Moffit wouldn't even be active considering he was the starter the last few weeks.

Did Moffit do something behind close doors? Late for a practice or something else?

Does any oline expert on here know what the differences between Sweezy and Moffit are? Whos better at what?

Again, I am just curious.

madbohem

Reaction score
Sweezy has been a beast and I think its only been a matter of time before he became a starter. He had to adjust positions from Defense to Offense, but thats a huge difference in a lot of ways. Moffit he is funny and a clown and even entertaining, but if what he says about himself and football is remotely true (like not working out) then I can totally see how it was only a matter of time before work ethic and determination were going to beat him out.

Seeker

Reaction score
Mercy

so harbaugh has no excuse for that ass whoopin. you take out j.smith, we take out moffit just to make it fair.

Starrman44

Reaction score
madbohem":q7p5pugn said:
Sweezy has been a beast and I think its only been a matter of time before he became a starter. He had to adjust positions from Defense to Offense, but thats a huge difference in a lot of ways. Moffit he is funny and a clown and even entertaining, but if what he says about himself and football is remotely true (like not working out) then I can totally see how it was only a matter of time before work ethic and determination were going to beat him out.

I think Moffitt is being self deprecating. I believe that he is a good player, and he is a great glue guy as well. He's just a character.

Bucknastay

Reaction score
Oh he was on inactive list before the game. Minor injury probably. :thfight7:

VaporHawk

Reaction score
Postgame Presser Link

@8:45 mark someone asks about Moffit and coach stumbles around and says he was just the odd man out. Doesn't sound like an injury, just not starting any more and coach doesn't want to make a big deal about it?

BAllenHawk

Reaction score
I had to listen to the game on the radio, and before the game they said he was inactive to make room for Butler. Him being inactive tells me 1) they're loving Sweezy's play 2) They're not loving Moffit's. I do think Sweezy is starting to play well, and is only going to get better with time.

OP
OP
VancitySeahawk

VancitySeahawk

Reaction score
VaporHawk":2lamya7r said:
Postgame Presser Link

@8:45 mark someone asks about Moffit and coach stumbles around and says he was just the odd man out. Doesn't sound like an injury, just not starting any more and coach doesn't want to make a big deal about it?

But it still kind of seems odd that Moffit would go from starting to being inactive the next week. The writing on the wall tells me that he is being punished for something off of the field.

I mean they wouldnt even keep him active to be a back up guard?

When does anyone ever go from starter to inactive in one week?

Hamhawk

Reaction score
I'll take the glass half full approach and believe that Sweezy has just become too good to leave on the sidelines,....however I don't have a clue why Moffit would not even be active,...

hawks4thewin

Reaction score
Remember moffit and sweez been swaping drives for many games... I think sweez's speed better matched up against the niners.. that's my thought

Seafan

Reaction score
Moffitt has had a knee issue all season so this doesn't surprise me. Sweezy is quicker than a gimpy kneed Moffitt. Easy decision.

Happypuppy

Reaction score
I love Moffitt he as a lot of fun to listen too. Sometimes I think his humor runs the PC types the wrong way. His "I never workout" "I wonder how I am on this team"comments I suspect could be taken as he could work harder. Carp and Moffitt really need to hit they gym hard in the off season and get in better shape. Fewer injuries and better play would result.

bestfightstory

Reaction score
Moffit has not impressed me as a run blocker this year. I was not surprised to see him replaced.

HawkWow

Reaction score
BAllenHawk":2zymrajw said:
I had to listen to the game on the radio, and before the game they said he was inactive to make room for Butler. Him being inactive tells me 1) they're loving Sweezy's play 2) They're not loving Moffit's. I do think Sweezy is starting to play well, and is only going to get better with time.

Speaking of Butler....that didn't last long, did it? I was bummed to hear of his release (again), but trust in Pete. I wish Deon well.

pehawk

Reaction score
Happypuppy":2jtg9fml said:
I love Moffitt he as a lot of fun to listen too. Sometimes I think his humor runs the PC types the wrong way. His "I never workout" "I wonder how I am on this team"comments I suspect could be taken as he could work harder. Carp and Moffitt really need to hit they gym hard in the off season and get in better shape. Fewer injuries and better play would result.

You mean Carpenter that slagged off his injury, by returning a year ahead of schedule? That guy?

Rip Carps play, but not the dudes commitment. Most players in his position, in a league without guarenteed contracts, wouldn't have even TRIED to play this year. I get it, he's an easy target, but dude earned a lil respect this year.

Happypuppy

Reaction score
pehawk":39m91gkl said:
Happypuppy":39m91gkl said:

You mean Carpenter that slagged off his injury, by returning a year ahead of schedule? That guy?

Rip Carps play, but not the dudes commitment. Most players in his position, in a league without guarenteed contracts, wouldn't have even TRIED to play this year. I get it, he's an easy target, but dude earned a lil respect this year.

I am not saying Carp is not a gamer. I am saying due to the amount of weight he carries it is contributing to his injuries and lack of endurance. He was at least 350 this season and could do as well a light weight. He is very strong, I heard he was the strongest lineman on the team.

pehawk

Reaction score
Fair enough. I'm excited to see what and who he'll be in 2013. I liked the pick, at guard though.

HawkAroundTheClock

Reaction score
hawks4thewin":3q1f04u2 said:
Remember moffit and sweez been swaping drives for many games... I think sweez's speed better matched up against the niners.. that's my thought

Yep. This competition has been ongoing. Could have just been a matchup thing, but with Moffitt being inactive, Sweez may have won it outright. We'll see.

JKent82

Reaction score
As mentioned above Pete said he needed space for an extra wide receiver with the injury situations.

I think Sweezy got the call because Moffitt hasn't really had a clean bill of health all year. Perhaps Sweezy was seen as a safer bet to make it through the game. Total speculation, but either way Sweezy is seen as it least close to where Moffitt is as a player. Unless Moffitt did something to deserve getting benched which is possible I guess.

Still crazy Sweezy is contributing AND starting at least somewhat effectively at this point in his short career as an offensive lineman. Absolutely amazing honestly.

Seafan

Reaction score
Sweez has played even with Moffitt starting. Sweez was in for Moffitt on that really nice run by Beast at Toronto. It could be just an injury thing or Sweezy may have finally proven himself to be better. Either way doesn't seem to matter. He started and played the whole game in the biggest beat down in the NFL this season. Works for me. Gotta love the depth.