The Fail Mary's place in NFL History

GoHawks

Reaction score
If GB did not go on to get into the playoffs this year,

would the defeat to the Hawks from the "Fail Mary" be on par with the "Immaculate Reception"

in NFL Lore? You know Mediots would bring it up every year entering the playoffs

madbohem

Reaction score
i can't imagine it being that big. The Immaculate Reception was a playoff game...

However, the fail mary will be one play that totally defines this season and the replacement refs. I suspect in a few years from now, there will be an NFL Film diagnosis... after the drama has disappeared into the past

themunn

Reaction score
in a few years people will watch it and realise it was the right call all along

grizbob

Reaction score
themunn":2hdc298y said:
in a few years few people will watch it and realise it was the right call all along

Fixed it for ya :lol:

ensett

Reaction score
The real shams this season have been the real refs, but nobody likes to talk about it. Best example is Forsetts run on thanksgiving. Worst play in NFL history

Mjolnir

Reaction score
I hate his "Fail Mary" name for that play.
Who the hell came up with this name?
The only issue with that play is the push off. Other than that, tie goes to the offense. It wasn't fail at all.

sturg78

Reaction score
ensett":283w5xwe said:
The real shams this season have been the real refs, but nobody likes to talk about it. Best example is Forsetts run on thanksgiving. Worst play in NFL history

That wasn't the refs fault. Close call, let the play continue and review it after. Schwartz's fault for not knowing the rule and throwing a challenge flag. I think it's a dumb rule but that isn't on the refs

VaporHawk

Reaction score
If Alcoa still sponsored Fantastic Finishes it would live forever. They repeated those same plays over and over and over...

olyfan63

Reaction score
sturg78":h9a6pdq0 said:
ensett":h9a6pdq0 said:

That wasn't the refs fault. Close call, let the play continue and review it after. Schwartz's fault for not knowing the rule and throwing a challenge flag. I think it's a dumb rule but that isn't on the refs

Stupid, stupid rule. Punish the coach by letting a clearly ridiculous call go unreviewed. The NFL comes up with a rule this stupid and punitive that erodes the integrity of the game, and allows an obviously incorrect call to stand, and affect the outcome of a game... unbelievable. Hope they fix that soon.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Mjolnir":1jud3vt9 said:
I hate his "Fail Mary" name for that play.
Who the hell came up with this name?
The only issue with that play is the push off. Other than that, tie goes to the offense. It wasn't fail at all.

^^ This. Totally a correct call. ESPN doesn't show the footage that doesn't favor their agenda. I can go with the "uncalled offensive PI" on Tate, and express sympathies to those poor Packer fans all day long, but the catch was a catch, and absolutely the correct ruling. Offensive and defensive pass interference calls are subjective and get blown and missed all the time, just like the phony holding call on Locklear that cost the Hawks Super Bowl XL.
The only reason GB even scored a TD in that game was a bogus call on the Hawks for defensive PI that wrongly kept that Packers drive alive on a 3rd down play. So the blown PI calls even out, the catch was a catch, and the result of the game was a fair result. Get over it, Packer fans. You lost the game. Scoreboard. The Seahawks were the better team on that day, in that venue.

Ninerguy

Reaction score
seriously, the only place in america that thinks that was call was correct ALL live in the Pacific NW. But, it is what it is and is now history...maybe you can get a repeat and play GB in the playoffs!!

drdiags

Reaction score
Ninerguy":2n94jzwd said:
seriously, the only place in america that thinks that was call was correct ALL live in the Pacific NW. But, it is what it is and is now history...maybe you can get a repeat and play GB in the playoffs!!

Shutup. The rest of the country can go pound sand. Where is the outrage about the crappy officiating in XL? Only people who will care about either of these two results will be Seahawks fans vs Steelers fans and Seahawks fans vs Green Bay.

You don't have a dog in this fight so pleas take a seat and shutup. Or leave if it was up to me.

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
drdiags":24xc1u01 said:
Ninerguy":24xc1u01 said:

Shutup. The rest of the country can go pound sand. Where is the outrage about the crappy officiating in XL? Only people who will care about either of these two results will be Seahawks fans vs Steelers fans and Seahawks fans vs Green Bay.

You don't have a dog in this fight so pleas take a seat and shutup. Or leave if it was up to me.

This, this, this, this........ THIS!

Jville

Reaction score
Ninerguy":2g7y2fcc said:

:roll: ...... posting here instead of on a niner board doesn't make you smarter or credible. You contribute nothing of value here.

Link to the catch >>>> http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/co ... git/17706/

Seeker

Reaction score
seahawk fans need to stand up for their history.

oakland gets holy roller for a bs touchdown
pittsburgh gets "imaculate reception" for their bs touchdown
but we get FAIL MARY like we cheated or something?

we need to rename that play.

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
Jville":1anmybse said:
Ninerguy":1anmybse said:

:roll: ...... posting here instead of on a niner board doesn't make you smarter or credible. You contribute nothing of value here.

Link to the catch >>>> http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/co ... git/17706/

Don't bother giving him information. That might change his mind and changing his mind is not something he wants done in this case.

SeaWolv

Reaction score
Ninerguy":3bhhvgmb said:

I don't think this guy lives in the Pacific NW:

http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/co ... git/17706/

There were others as well. It wasn't just Hawk fans.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
drdiags":3fkwgx41 said:
Ninerguy":3fkwgx41 said:

:th2thumbs: :th2thumbs: :th2thumbs: :th2thumbs: